• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bullied over Fortnite?

Moneal

So fortnite skins are the new name brand clothes. dear lord, kids will find any reason to make fun of other kids.

MiguelItUp

Ugh, while the times have changed, it sounds like somethings never change. I suppose this is the modern version of a, "Make fun of that kid because they got their shoes at Payless" scenario?

I don't know what the world is coming to.

brap

Banned
I bought the season pass this season and got like 7 skins from it so I feel like it's a good deal. Completely understandable not wanting to buy it though and fucked up that other kids are making fun of your kid for being a "no skin".

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Stick to the default skin. Coach him at the core game mechanics until he can wreck them all 1v1, victory royale in solo queue (if he hasn't already, that will give him a special umbrella cosmetic that carries social status in the game), or obviously carry them in squads. Then he can tell them they're more concerned about playing dress up with their cute little dolls than winning.

Dargor

Gonna be honest with you, there is no easy way to solve this. The most important thing is making sure your son knows that this is really silly and he shouldn't care about what those kids are saying.

And no, normal kids won't stop playing with him because of skins.

Greedings

Kids will find anything to make fun of another kid. Playing default in a free video game is possibly the mildest thing your kid could be bullied for.
It's character building for him. Sure it sucks, but in the end it's like the least important thing in the world. Fortnight will end like every other fad, and your kid will forget any of it happened.

demigod

Ugh, while the times have changed, it sounds like somethings never change. I suppose this is the modern version of a, "Make fun of that kid because they got their shoes at Payless" scenario?

Wow, I did get made fun of because my mom bought me shoes from Payless. I didn't care tho since I got to buy videogames, lol.

-MD-

I still wear a gibus hat in TF2 because people think it's exclusively for free to play players that are new/bad at the game and will endlessly mock you, until you continuously steamroll them and they get very very upset.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
See the thing is I don’t think these kids care about winning or losing, it’s all the dumb shit they do inbetween that entertains them, making ramps and jumping shopping carts and shit.

I haven’t seen any kid get crazy about being close to a win or get competitive with it. They literally just fuck around like it’s mincraft while bullets ring out all around.

Ugh, lame. Fortnite encourages superficial behavior and conditions you to care more about cosmetics than winning the more you get into it, and we're already looking at the most narcissistic generation ever thanks to social media. Unfortunately there is very much a social hierarchy in Fortnite based on your cosmetics. It's only a $10 investment to get the battle pass and sort that out (though getting the cooler skin variants requires a looot of time invested and challenge completion and resets each season...), but it's still a F2P game with microtransactions and grinding, so if you don't want your kid to get trapped in all those operant conditioning schemes and all, dunno mang.

Get him into some cooler and more fulfilling activities, clubs or sports, maybe, find some less douchy social circles. If this incident is hitting him pretty hard, consider getting him into something that will help build a firmer foundation for himself like martial arts classes, or something more chill that still focuses on personal development like indoor bouldering. Something real.

Hell, even just finding kids who play games for the game part and not pushing around shopping carts and spending their parents' money on cosmetics would be a good start, if there are any left at that age.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
See the thing is I don’t think these kids care about winning or losing, it’s all the dumb shit they do inbetween that entertains them, making ramps and jumping shopping carts and shit.

I haven’t seen any kid get crazy about being close to a win or get competitive with it. They literally just fuck around like it’s mincraft while bullets ring out all around.

Sounds like half my matches when I still played Overwatch. I really wish games stuck with deathmatches for FPSes. For all of the platitudes thrown around about team play, it sure looks like a lot of people just don't care about that and simply want to screw around.

Edit: And to echo EviLore, start getting your kid into other hobbies if you can. He's getting to an age where it will probably be fun for him to sink his teeth into a bunch of activities while he figures out what interests him. Definitely think about getting him into sports or weightlifting or something. It's good for building confidence and making a kid not care about bullies.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

In my day, it was shoes.

That's one of the worse aspects of modern culture, the peer pressure to spend money on a name brand or ____ in order to be "cool".

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’m teaching my daughter to play overwatch so she can retort saying she actually plays a game that takes strategy and skill rather then some bullshit building mechanics. They have so far said that their parents won’t buy them games so it is an instant win. Lol

MayauMiao

My 10 year old came home from school today telling me he felt bullied at school today.

I asked him why, and he said cuz the other kids were talking about Fortnite and he joined. They were all talking about the skins they play as said he just plays as default.

Apparently they all begin to taunt him and say default is for losers. Now it’s not his fault, I decided that we weren’t spending money on Free to Play games and refused to buy the battlepass for him or my daughter, and I super refuse to spend 20.00 on 1 skin, especially with how often Epic are adding them.

I don’t know what to do here, are skins that important that other kids won’t play with him unless he has a non default skin?

They'll bully him regardless of skin. Stand your ground. Just let your kid tell his friends Fortnite sucks
My 10 year old came home from school today telling me he felt bullied at school today.

I asked him why, and he said cuz the other kids were talking about Fortnite and he joined. They were all talking about the skins they play as said he just plays as default.

Apparently they all begin to taunt him and say default is for losers. Now it’s not his fault, I decided that we weren’t spending money on Free to Play games and refused to buy the battlepass for him or my daughter, and I super refuse to spend 20.00 on 1 skin, especially with how often Epic are adding them.

I don’t know what to do here, are skins that important that other kids won’t play with him unless he has a non default skin?

Should watch this how skin is a never ending obsession over nothing.

Doczu

Yeah, there's not much you can do OP. I'm more than sure that even if you get your kid a skin or a battle pass to grind one for himself, he will still be teased by the other kids. The (lacko of a) skin is just a reason for them. Especially once you wrote they don't play the game, just do random shit in it. They don't think he's "cool enough".

Really not much you can do to change their approach to your kid.

bitbydeath

Definitely think about getting him into sports or weightlifting or something. It's good for building confidence and making a kid not care about bullies.

Agree with this.
Games are fun but they are massive time sinks to the point where you’ll waste hours and not even know it. If a sport or other hobby was placed in between it’d build his confidence and I would not even be surprised if the gaming sessions felt longer with the break as it’d be a more memorable day with jumping in and out.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Now I understand the lengthy discussion I overheard of three kids on the train when I went to Gamescom on whether Fortnite was basically the same thing as Minecraft. I was just sitting there and wondering, how people who cannot distinguish a creative exploration game from a battle royale shooter can consider themselves big enough game fans to spend a whole day at a trade fair about games.

Ar¢tos

My 2 nephews don't play fortnite (my sister doesn't allow them to play online games) and, somehow, all they do is talk about it, so I'm not surprised. I think they watch YT streamers playing it.

Virex

Banned
Grow a pair. Bullies will be part of a person’s life no matter where they are(school, work etc).

llien

They were all talking about the skins they play as said he just plays as default.
So, he doesn't meet them in game, hence owning actual skins in that game shouldn't be that important.

Does he have close friends (at school)? If not, perhaps you could help him a bit with that (inviting someone to play at home etc).

Well, since "some things never change", only excuses of bullying are changing.

Grow a pair.
In a world when grown ups "quit twitter" over comments, you want a kid to stand up against an aggressive group?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Honestly, it doesn't sound like it's a money issue for you but a principled decision. You're not going to be able to stop kids being assholes but I dunno, it's like ?£?20 to stop your kid getting a shitty time? We'd all like to be moralistic here and I'm commenting from a position of having no kids at all so I concede my viewpoint won't hold as much strength as those with kids - but at the end of the day, the game is free and cosmetics are a big part of it.

I'd say it would be more sensible to let your kid earn the skins/season passes. Maybe good behaviour, doing jobs around the house (washing cars/gardening/painting), or incentivising physical activity as well. Limit them to one per month etc. Seems an easy win-win situation. Your kid will grow out of it in time.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
War never changes. I remember losing all my friends for a couple of days when, overnight, they decided Digimon was the new cool thing and that Pokemon was for losers. We were friends again quite quickly - kids are assholes, there's little you can do about that. Good on your for not caving in and dropping money on nothing.

PayoLoko

they are kids, they laugh at each other they are cruel. Its like.... their thing you know?

Last edited:

SonGoku

LOL no offense but your sons classmates sound like massive losers, they sound like the type of people who grow up to be shallow and unhappy how bad do you have to be raised to feel superior over wasting your parents money on dumbass skins? i could understand skill but not this.

Just tell your son to grow a gator skin and explain to him how stupid they are

Last edited:

Fujan

The world is not getting worse because of this, kids are always assholes and find reasons to bully, be it name, clothes, or in this age digital skins.

It's always been like this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is a depressing read. Arguing over skins in Fortnite? I mean, it’s kids, but damn. Who cares?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Fortnite is a fad and kids follow them. If it isn't this it will be another thing. Kid needs to see how people flock like sheep to whatever is popular at the moment and be complete tools now before he is one as well rather than just like things cause they are fun. edge mode on

Boss Mog

There's free skins for being a PS+ member if he plays on PS4. Also the battlepass is pretty much a one time 10 buck investment, you can easily earn enough vbucks to buy next season's battlepass even if you don't play that much. In fact you can easily reach Tier 100 as long as you do all the daily and weekly challenges in the season, you don't need to play anymore than that. There's also the 5 buck starter pack which gives you a skin and 600 vbucks which is almost 2/3 of the price of the battlepass (it costs 950 vbucks).

The way Epic is developing this game they deserve some cash I think, they're constantly improving it and changing it up to keep it fresh.

drotahorror

Pretty sad but if it's not one thing it's another when it comes to picking on people about stuff.

Here in a couple years they'll care more about winning than looking all crazy.

*Thinking about the money I've spent on Smite and Paladins skins*

But yea if it's real bothersome, maybe the kid can just stop socializing with these others? That's the great thing about school, so many people to befriend.

Sad... kids will be kids, I guess.
If you have PS+, there's free skins available every now and then. Otherwise, maybe pick up the PvE portion of the game (is it still on sale?) and earn Vbucks that way. He/you have to log in every day but it's better than paying $20 for a single skin, IMO.

CeeJay

Now I understand the lengthy discussion I overheard of three kids on the train when I went to Gamescom on whether Fortnite was basically the same thing as Minecraft. I was just sitting there and wondering, how people who cannot distinguish a creative exploration game from a battle royale shooter can consider themselves big enough game fans to spend a whole day at a trade fair about games.

They were probably talking about the Hunger Games mini game in Minecraft that is practically identical to Fortnite. My kid played Hunger Games for years with all his friends before moving on to Fortnite. Hunger Games is easily the most popular mini game for Minecraft

welshrat

I play a lot with my lad who is 10, There has been some bullying from other kids but nothing to do with skins, just horrendous chat and comments to the point we had to mention it to the school. With regard to the skins though there is quite a lot of status with playing the original skins especially as many may think you are a noob and then be surprised by your skills.

you can also earn some vbucks playing normally which could be put towards a battlepass or item. As others have mentioned the more prestigious items are gained by being good at the game and not from purchases.

Kenpachii

I don't get it. Why spend no money on free to play games? If you enjoy a game spend money on it. They are free to play because people spend money on them do people not realize this?

I spended 1000's on world of warcraft, probably close to 1000 on league skins. probably 500 on old forgotten games like ragnarok online. Because they give me a experience i enjoy. And that comes from somebody that doesn't find paying 60 bucks for a AAA title worth it.

If your kid wants a skin, because he gets bullied. Let him work for the money. Let him do stuff and reward him with credit. or give him credit for his brithday or something. So he can decide what to get or not.

If he's faking it he probably doesn't want to do them anyway and just bails out on the idea entirely.

Anyway to get rid of a bully, just bully them back. Make what they find interesting and much needed in there social circle a utter joke. And make fun of them for weeks on end until there bubble starts to burst.

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Try to show him what he can buy for 20,00, or even the value of save 20 dollars a month on the long term.

Anything to raise his awareness to the fact that buying these trivial skins are short term wasted money

Last edited:

onlyoneno1

Handle this like you would handle any bullying scenario. Teach your son the right thing to do and stand firm on your decision to not buy the battle pass/skin. Kids are cruel and you need to do your part as parent to tell your kids its okay to be a "no skin".

J-Roderton

Shame. Show him those old MLG Halo 3 videos so he can see people straight up wrecking shit with default Master Chief skins.

Nymphae

Banned
That is fucking ridiculous. We used to shame people for buying skins, now you're being shamed for not keeping up with the DLC Jones'?

Stick to the default skin. Coach him at the core game mechanics until he can wreck them all 1v1, victory royale in solo queue (if he hasn't already, that will give him a special umbrella cosmetic that carries social status in the game), or obviously carry them in squads. Then he can tell them they're more concerned about playing dress up with their cute little dolls than winning.

Do this OP, please lol.

Last edited:

edgardo-sp

Neo Member
OP, maybe your kid can brag about his kill ratio or something? Obviously, the most important thing is that he understands that is just a game, and that it's supposed to be fun. Good luck

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Show him how ridiculous skins have gotten over the years. Show him how mad we all were over Horse Amour in Oblivion. You could look at games like Tekken 7 and Gears of War. Show him how controversial skins have been and explain to him that the default skin shows the character for who they truly are. You could even show him how digital items have been sold for large amounts of money. Show him Second Life and how people will spend money to live in a virtual one. If it wasn't for the default skin we would have never had the guy from Doom or like others have said Master Chief. Competitive players use default skins.

You could buy him the deluxe Call of Duty Black Ops IIII bundle. I realize Fortnite is super popular, but Call of Duty is a definite alternative to all this.

lock2k

Banned
Show him pictures of homeless people and tell him "this is the future of your peers if they spend money on stupid stuff" and give him a book for him to study and school those bastards. :)

cypherq

Neo Member
Try to show him what he can buy for 20,00, or even the value of save 20 dollars a month on the long term.

Anything to raise his awareness to the fact that buying these trivial skins are short term wasted money

Or even better take him on an experience (away from gaming) and spend 20.00 doing it. He will then value time spent away from the game box and enjoy time socially having fun and bonding in real life. Memories created from doing things like this stay with you for life. A skin in a game will be forgotten in an instant.

Epic clearly designed this into the game and its appealing to younger gamers. Funny how older gamers just think "great getting a free game here to enjoy" and look at the cosmetic stuff and go meh.

Odd really how things have gone kind of upside down.. back in the day you paid a premium for your games and then the cosmetic stuff was unlockable by beating the game....or putting codes into it.

cypherq

Neo Member
Show him pictures of homeless people and tell him "this is the future of your peers if they spend money on stupid stuff" and give him a book for him to study and school those bastards. :)

Indeed! Although maybe the parents that went through school and have great jobs thus providing more disposable income to their offspring are causing the problem to start with... :D

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
I've become very sparing with the time my step sons are permitted to play FPS games. Any other game is a social behavior for them, and seems to engage their problem solving skills. The moment Overwatch or Fortnite are allowed, there's shouting, aggravation, a definitive change in behavior, moodiness, etc...

It's a profound effect. (They are eight and eleven, respectively)

The good news is, the older one is pretty good at the games - and already focusing on just... dominating competition. ;) I've convinced them both that Lootboxes are horrible and undesirable things.

Fortune is more of a problem for parents and children then any violent game has been, it's making them aggressive to parents and sometimes teachers.

It's also showing them money has no value, skins are very expensive but children feel peer pressured into having them.

I'd rather my son swapped to playing hentai games then continue playing Fortnite...

MP!

I don't want to tell you how to parent but I think a major problem with kids now is they don't understand value of objects or money. They're growing up with $1000 phones in their pockets and I think it really has skewed how they view the world. I think it's important to educate kids about the value of money and earning things. If he wants skins maybe he could do some chores or mow lawns to earn money ... even better if that money doesn't come from you.

I mean it's weird how things have changed... I was made fun of for my off brand shoes from payless... cause they were falling apart... but my mom knew that shoes would fall apart anyway... sort of instilled in me that objects are just objects... games are just games... and that brands are just logos stuck on some fake leather. it's a tough world out there especially now that it's all connected... It's tough to teach kids values and things. I'd say make him work of it so he appreciates it... just giving kids things cause they're made fun of really does no good ... it only reinforces the notion that

A. It matters what people think about you. (when in fact it doesn't)
B. You gotta have whatever everyone else has (when ... you really don't)
C. money is easy to get and has little value (ron howard voice... "It doesn't")

Top Bottom