• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie officially confirms Destiny. Reveal on Feb 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadders

I'm surprised how many people still incorrectly think Microsoft have a stake in Bungie.

Bungie are a 100% independent studio. They have a publishing deal with Activision, but the right to the universe and all that jazz are Bungie's. Microsoft are not part of the picture at all.

It will be on PS3, we know this from the leaked documents that IGN published (which Bungie pretty much confirmed to be true). If it's on PS3, it wouldn't make sense to me to put it out on 360, Durango, PS3 and then neglect PS4. There's no business model there that makes sense.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just remembered them advertising "we need developers for the ps3" for months and months.

So... ViDoc on Sunday? Proper reveal deserves a ViDoc, but I bet we'll see a teaser trailer, with a ViDoc to follow perhaps during GDC or E3.

StuBurns

Banned
If there were contractual reasons for the exclusivity, wouldn't that show up in the original contract?
I think it'd also be unusual that there has been indications of PlayStation platforms. When we've seen major third party timed exclusives, there's been some leaks about other platforms (like the PS3 data in the PC version of BioShock), but there has never been anything notable, certainly nothing comparable to Bungie having PSN log-in built into their site.

DEADEVIL

I'm surprised how many people still incorrectly think Microsoft have a stake in Bungie.

Bungie are a 100% independent studio. They have a publishing deal with Activision, but the right to the universe and all that jazz are Bungie's. Microsoft are not part of the picture at all.

It will be on PS3, we know this from the leaked documents that IGN published (which Bungie pretty much confirmed to be true). If it's on PS3, it wouldn't make sense to me to put it out on 360, Durango, PS3 and then neglect PS4. There's no business model there that makes sense.

No the documents said that Destiny was exclusive to the 360 this gen and would be on both next gen systems.

Buntabox

So... ViDoc on Sunday? Proper reveal deserves a ViDoc, but I bet we'll see a teaser trailer, with a ViDoc to follow perhaps during GDC or E3.

I'd love for a good ol' Bungie ViDoc. It'd be nice to see them speak about the game a bit too. I love seeing how excited they get about their stuff.

No the documents said that Destiny was exclusive to the 360 this gen and would be on both next gen systems.

the contract was written before bungie had started hiring for PS3 development, and that the exclusivity was only there to act as a caveat incase they would be unable to produce a ps3 version in the launch window.

That said, the launch window has probably changed, the developmetn has changed, and the contract has changed.

Also I think the subscription service is opt in, like for halo 3.

I'd love for a good ol' Bungie ViDoc. It'd be nice to see them speak about the game a bit too. I love seeing how excited they get about their stuff.

They've been so damn secretive and arrogant about this one, too. I love it. Can't wait to see what's up with them.

Respawn

Banned
No, it didn't.

It says Xbox 360 and 720 this fall. Possibly PS3 next fall.

I don't think anyone expected PS4 in such an early timeframe. So things could have change. I'm sure Sony has been in talks with Activision and Bungie [Being that they are a big publisher and devs] about their hardware.

Shadders

It's pretty much inconceivable that the contract hasn't changed since 2010. It will have changed dozens of times. The games industry is so dynamic, studios are constantly changing and evolving to new trends. Maybe the PS3's forecast was pap in 2010 (I can't remember), maybe they then decided that it's worth doing.

Basing your argument on a contract from 3 years ago, which even then was only outlining a vague business plan, is just senseless.

Especially when documents from 2011 have shown the PS3 logo and you can now set up an account on B.net using your PSN login details.

Gotta say, I'm a big fan of the move towards announcing 6-8 months from release instead of the 1.5-2 years from release.

Also, I'm expecting to see gameplay since we are so close to release.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think anyone expected PS4 in such an early timeframe. So things could have change. I'm sure Sony has been in talks with Activision and Bungie [Being that they are a big publisher and devs] about their hardware.
I don't doubt it. The fact Sony has allowed their log-in service to be integrated into Bungie's site makes it very clear Sony isn't being slighted with whatever the launch role out is.

Jomjom

Banned
Maybe they will announce that things have changed and that Microsoft has now obtained exclusivity to the new title. That would be a pretty big blow prior to the PS4 announcement.

C'mon son.

512px-Myth_-_The_Fallen_Lords.jpg

Myth_II_Cover.jpg

I just ordered the original CD's can't' wait to replay these games :)

Shadders

Maybe they will announce that things have changed and that Microsoft has now obtained exclusivity to the new title. That would be a pretty big blow prior to the PS4 announcement.

It would be an almighty blow, but Bungie released their new website like 10 days ago with PSN integration, so it's unlikely.

Won't being cross-gen hold this game back a little? It can still obviously be a great game, but being a mmo shooter it would surely benefit from the newer hardware. Bigger, better looking, maps/world, larger player count...etc

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It will be interesting to see what they can pull off on their own, I enjoyed Halo but was never the biggest fan of the series and found it to be one of the more stagnent as the series went on. Still, I'm totally up for a new Sci-Fi universe to jump into.

I do wonder if we are going to end up with the same result we had this generation, the first of a new series being exclusive to the MS console and the followups on the Sony one with far fewer sales because most couldn't play the first and developers wondering why it didn't do so well.

7he Talon

Been waiting a very long time for this. I'm excited to see what the reveal has to offer. Hopefully we get some in-engine footage.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Won't being cross-gen hold this game back a little? It can still obviously be a great game, but being a mmo shooter it would surely benefit from the newer hardware. Bigger, better looking, maps/world, larger player count...etc
If I recall correctly, it's been known the game is still gonna use peer to peer or whatever, rather than dedicated servers. So if that actually is true it won't be an mmo in the sense we know them anyhow, regardless of hardware. I think a lot of it is going to be window dressing and back end stuff. They'll somehow get the feel if a large scale populated world, but there won't actually ever me 1200 people In The same space at once. I dunno. Who knows. I do know I'm going to be disappointed if this game even has something like a lobby screen.

Havok

i wonder if its like a canned halo projected ressurected or something. .....
We can't really know for sure, but everything points to this project being (Bungie co-founder) Jason Jones' baby, and he hasn't been actively working on Halo projects since they shipped Halo 2, on which he was Project Lead (he isn't even in the Halo 3 credits, to my knowledge), and dating back to interviews in 1993 he's said that he doesn't really like sequels - the last pre-Halo Bungie franchise to have more than one in-house sequel was Marathon, with Marathon Infinity in 1996. So it looks like he might have been working on Destiny in some capacity or another for the last 8 or 9 years, maybe once he got bored of doing Halo.

If I recall correctly, it's been known the game is still gonna use peer to peer or whatever, rather than dedicated servers. So if that actually is true it won't be an mmo in the sense we know them anyhow, regardless of hardware. I think a lot of it is going to be window dressing and back end stuff. They'll somehow get the feel if a large scale populated world, but there won't actually ever me 1200 people In The same space at once. I dunno. Who knows. I do know I'm going to be disappointed if this game even has something like a lobby screen.

why exactly? Donnybrook lets developers create mmofps p2p games.

RoKKeR

I recall several games being revealed in the past, one of the Assassin's Creed games was shown by Sony at E3. Microsoft revealed Call of Duty 4(?).
Alright, sure. But saying that it won't be on the PS4 just because it is revealed before the Playstation Meeting makes no sense.

We can't really know for sure, but everything points to this project being (Bungie co-founder) Jason Jones' baby, and he hasn't been actively working on Halo projects since they shipped Halo 2, on which he was Project Lead (he isn't even in the Halo 3 credits, to my knowledge), and dating back to interviews in 1993 he's said that he doesn't really like sequels - the last pre-Halo Bungie franchise to have more than one in-house sequel was Marathon, with Marathon Infinity in 1996. So it looks like he might have been working on Destiny in some capacity or another for the last 8 or 9 years, maybe once he got bored of doing Halo.

I'd trust him with my first born.

Woorloog

Banned

Wait, he says he doesn't like sequels BUT Destiny is going to get a sequel every other year (assuming the plans haven't changed)...
Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom