• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie officially confirms Destiny. Reveal on Feb 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongebob

Banned
Lol this isn't just a coincidence.

Either MS is using this to disrupt the PS4 reveal or Sony is using this to tie into the PS4 reveal.

If I had to put money on it, I would say it was more MS pulling the strings on this one.

MS don't have anything to do with Bungie anymore.

I think this might be related to Sony.

So it's pretty likely that this is going to be either PC/Durango or PC/Durango/Orbis, right?

SO HYPED. Bungle can do no wrong. Yes, I loved Reach.

It was published by Microsoft but always owned by Bioware. Game publishing agreements are not in perpetuity. The Oddworld games on PSN were originally published by Microsoft.

Sure. It just *seems* to me that if MS isn't even involved in publishing this time around then it would be even easier to get the game on the PS4.
It doesn't mean it will or should happen (the Bungie-MS contracts etc).

derFeef

Probably. I think Halo's up near the top of most overrated franchises and I did not like any of the games I played from them compared to other shooters, so I don't have a lot of confidence in Bungie.

Which is surprising since Halo is not really your typical shooter and I thought you enjoy a good challenge.

StuBurns

Banned
Like I said, it was a bit of hyperbole. Stealing was the incorrect/unkind term. But, do you believe the date was chosen at random? Had this been a purely multiplat title from get go then it would not have aroused any suspicion for me.
For all we know, it was 'a purely multiplatform title' from the get go, so I don't see your point. I'm not saying they aren't announcing it because the PS4 is about to be announced though, I never suggested otherwise.

EDIT: As for the contract, it basically has to have changed. Launching on PS3 next xmas would be insane, no one would care.

ultim8p00

Banned
You know the music, time to dance.

ayxTfim.png

Density?

DANCE CITY

Derrick01

Banned
Which is surprising since Halo is not really your typical shooter and I thought you enjoy a good challenge.

I do but the SP of Reach was really easy to do on the highest difficulty, and I don't like online modes where you need to empty 2 clips into people to kill them. I'm not nearly good enough online or patient enough to chase someone around that long. I also don't like the aesthetics of Halo or the gun handling. I guess to put it in simpler terms I don't like anything about Halo at all :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hey Bungie. I met this really nice girl at your office once called Konoko.
She was quite fun, sexy and very unique especially considering how girls were back then.

WHERE IS SHE?!
WHERE IS ONI 2: REVENGEANCE?

But seriously, hopefully it's good. Since I adore the Halo series, the only X-BOX exclusive series worth playing.

EDIT:

ONI 2 by Platinum would be godly but we need another Dev/Publisher making a spectacle fighter type game. Remember Me doesn't count.
Well there do seem to be female characters in the game:

Given it's a pseudo-MMO FPS though I imagine you create your own character.

Sure. It just *seems* to me that if MS isn't even involved in publishing this time around then it would be even easier to get the game on the PS4.
It doesn't mean it will or should happen (the Bungie-MS contracts etc).

The bottom line is we don't know if Microsoft forced a timed exclusivity agreement on Bungie as a term of allowing them to go private. It is a possibility, Bungie was Microsoft's property and wanted out.

It's also possible that Microsoft was perfectly happy with the Halo IP and some cash. We simply don't know. But if I were Microsoft, I'd have required timed exclusivity the first title or two. They had the most leverage in those negotiations.

Bsigg12

That contract might have changed.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't. If you don't think Microsoft had them sign a exclusivity for a short period deal when they "mutually" split, you're out of your mind. You don't give a class act like Bungie up to multiplatform without some form of compensation.

The 20th is Killzone day - so no way this game is at the same event.

Bungie would be humiliated in front of the world's press by that Guerrilla next-gen swag.

Dunno, about humiliated, but this is a good point.
There is the potential for some seriously awesome shit to debut on the 20th...

Gorillaz

MS don't have anything to do with Bungie anymore.

I think this might be related to Sony.

Don't think so. Even tho bungie cut ties with MS, MS (depending on that contract) still has some agreements with Bungie.

Also wonder how it will look on a next gen console. It will be interesting if they show a Durango verison of it, and if Sony does in fact Trojan Horse the HELL out of Killzone 4, to show off it's graphics and flex the ps4's power.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm pretty sure it hasn't. If you don't think Microsoft had them sign a exclusivity for a short period deal when they "mutually" split, you're out of your mind. You don't give a class act like Bungie up to multiplatform without some form of compensation.
How long do you think they have any control over Bungie? They've already made them two games.

From what I remember, it was implied the MS/Bungie split contract involved right of first refusal.

Activision is the publisher.

And for next gen, given the architectural similarities--though that word is too weak for what has happened here--there wouldn't be much of a technical excuse for platform exclusivity, in terms of risk/reward.

As for the name, I don't see why people are complaining. Simple names are better than "Fraglamach: the aspirations of dudebro's trainsoul".

Chittagong

Gold Member
The timing is very confusing.

It can't be PS4 because Sony wouldn't take away hype from Feb 20th by showing what PS4 is capable of, announcing the platform branding, especially not with Bungie since their graphics track record isn't spectacular.

It could theoretically be Durango, which would be incredibly surprising because they would have to announce the platform brand and show its performance before or on the 17th, because again, they would not let Bungie to be the ones to reveal Durango. Pulling a massive surprise announcement would be unprecedented.

It's might be 360, but this would be pretty bad in terms of unveiling their huge franchise on old hardware with a team known for not amazing graphics on the platform.

So, if we can categorically rule out PS4, plot Durango in as an incredibly unlikely surprise and 360 as simply too stupid to happen, what are we left with for the 17th?

CGI, concept art, vidoc, story, setting, philosophy. In other words, we won't be seeing ingame gameplay footage on the 17th.

Xamdou

Exactly, MS ain't going to changed it's contract with Bungie for the first Destiny game whatsoever. Sony fans can dream destiny for a year after it releases on the 360/720 though.

The bottom line is we don't know if Microsoft forced a timed exclusivity agreement on Bungie as a term of allowing them to go private. It is a possibility, Bungie was Microsoft's property and wanted out.

It's also possible that Microsoft was perfectly happy with the Halo IP and some cash. We simply don't know. But if I were Microsoft, I'd have required timed exclusivity the first title or two. They had the most leverage in those negotiations.

Of course we don't know. I'm not claiming to know anything.

Bsigg12

How long do you think they have any control over Bungie? They've already made them two games.

I couldn't see more than a year. Its typical business practice when allowing a subsidiary to do its own thing, you don't just let them off the hook if you flat out owned them when they finally got to branch out.

El_Chino

Probably. I think Halo's up near the top of most overrated franchises and I did not like any of the games I played from them compared to other shooters, so I don't have a lot of confidence in Bungie.

Anything MMO related is automatic vomit inducing.

Never change Derrick.

Don't think so. Even tho bungie cut ties with MS, MS (depending on that contract) still has some agreements with Bungie.

Not only that, Activision also has exclusive ties with Microsoft. Look no further than the Call of Duty games and events (which are restricted to MS consoles). Hell, Sony isn't even allowed to have CoD avatars on PSN.

StuBurns

Banned
I couldn't see more than a year. Its typical business practice when allowing a subsidiary to do its own thing, you don't just let them off the hook if you flat out owned them when they finally got to branch out.
It's been a lot longer than a year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, I thought the contract was that it would be on PS3 in 2014 only if it could not be done for launch alongside 360/Durango. Is there really MS exclusivity?

Necron

Lol this isn't just a coincidence.

Either MS is using this to disrupt the PS4 reveal or Sony is using this to tie into the PS4 reveal.

If I had to put money on it, I would say it was more MS pulling the strings on this one.

Bungie belongs to Activision. Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

Gorillaz

I also wonder if Activision didn't believe PS4 would make 2013.

I honestly....HONESTLY feel Activision and Sony aren't that talkative about next gen. I said it in another thread that only a few keys pubs/devs know EXACTLY the roadmap for PS4. I believe they don't see Activison as close as other pubs
Bungie belongs to Activision. Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

Doesn't mean much if Bungie did make a side deal with MS

StuBurns

Banned
I honestly....HONESTLY feel Activision and Sony aren't that talkative about next gen. I said it in another thread that only a few keys pubs/devs know EXACTLY the roadmap for PS4. I believe they don't see Activison as close as other pubs
And on what are you basing that exactly?
The game isn't even out yet so what are you talking about?
Bungie separated from Microsoft years ago. I asked how long you believe they have any control over Bungie, you said a year, a year has long passed.

JaggedSac

Wait, I thought the contract was that it would be on PS3 in 2014 only if it could not be done for launch alongside 360/Durango. Is there really MS exclusivity?

That is correct. It was Destiny 1 on 360/Durango for launch, PS3 if they could get to it(for launch, it is definitely going to be on PS3, just a matter of when), no mention of PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom