• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Weekly Update 9/28/07 - 640p or How they did their lighting

OverHeat said:
I got the same TV and I find Halo 3 graphics awesome.
2gwvx1g.jpg

Running in 1080p on an Elite

Not the best shot to show was he means, has de image been downscaled? i can stil see aliasing though.

PAYBACKill

OverHeat said:
2gwvx1g.jpg

wow...somehow even with that bad photo and my computer screen, I can't believe how you think thats what 1080p is supposed to look like.

Omgzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz upscaling is for paupers

OverHeat

« generous god »
PAYBACKill said:
wow...somehow even with that bad photo and my computer screen, I can't believe how you think thats what 1080p is supposed to look like.

Omgzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz upscaling is for paupers
I know its not what 1080p is supposed to look like......but the game do not look bad.
It as bad aliasing thats for sure but the rest look top notch.
Sorry for the quality of the pic I had to take the picture quickly since my girlfriend was watching tv and I did not take the picture to show you the game, only to prove I had the same tv.

bigswords

OverHeat said:
I know its not what 1080p is supposed to look like......but the game do not look bad.
It as bad aliasing thats for sure but the rest look top notch.
Sorry for the quality of the pic I had to take the picture quickly since my girlfriend was watching tv and I did not take the picture to show you the game, only to prove I had the same tv.

Don't bother apologizing, if it's not 80P they are picking on , it will be something else. The game looks decent but the combat is pure solid gold.

OverHeat said:
2gwvx1g.jpg

Sure it looks nice. You are displaying a 1080p set with an upscaled 640p image into an 800px wide photograph. It MUST look nice.

StevieP

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Microsoft does demand 720p because I have a document that tells me my game will fail to pass certification if it does not have a minimal resolution of 1280 x 720. Now Microsoft is free to grant waivers, but they do demand it it.

They threw out that requirement unofficially at, or shortly after, launch. There was a Japanese dev discussion highlighting all this, God knows if anyone can find the source at this point.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
StevieP said:
They threw out that requirement unofficially at, or shortly after, launch.
The issue isn't really what gets mandated internally, that ultimately only affects the devs.
The problem is that MS paraded the PR about mandatory AA+HD for years before and after release. People complaining about backlash against 'PR reverses' have obviously forgotten(or don't want to remember) how much backlash certain other company got over similar issues.

dark10x said:
I believe the startup code (pink text) actually enables the slightly higher resolution. That's what we were told, anyways. By default, it runs in a lower resolution, but that code supposedly allows for proper 480p.

Press and hold L1, L2, L3, Square and Circle as you boot up the game.

It does appear to enable a higher resolution. I don't know how noticeable you can see it on a plasma but, you can tell the difference right away on my 34xs955 CRT. It isn't a huge difference, it's a small one but, it's still one of those things where once you use the startup code you just can't play the game without it. It makes some levels look really great but, other levels it just doesn't help as much as I wish it did.

As for Halo it isn't that big of a deal to me, I see the jaggies, draw in, framerate crawl, etc, but, the game still looks and plays wonderfully. There's so many subtle things like moving foliage, great physics system, and pretty lighting effects, that make the game feel like a next gen Halo. I just wish the characters had a few more polygons in them.

Top Bottom