• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Can't believe I'm gonna play Halo 4 on my PS4!! Payback time guys!!

Falagard said:
Ok, here's a story for you folks... I'm not sure if anyone else has reported this.

Alan Tudyk, (who is a voice actor on Halo 3 along with Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin - all of which come from the Firefly TV series and Serenity movie) said during Gencon (a science fiction convention) in Brisbane Australia that he had just met up Nathan and Adam at Bungie to do more voice work for Halo 3 and that it's the first time he'd seen them in more than a year.

Now, this either means that they're doing voices for the Peter Jackson Halo project, or that there's an expansion for Halo 3 in the works.

Episodic content similar to Valve? It would give room for the extra 250 achievement points like Shivering Isles for Oblivion. Either way this stuff is making me crazy.

Frenck

Banned
Falagard said:
Ok, here's a story for you folks... I'm not sure if anyone else has reported this.

Alan Tudyk, (who is a voice actor on Halo 3 along with Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin - all of which come from the Firefly TV series and Serenity movie) said during Gencon (a science fiction convention) in Brisbane Australia that he had just met up Nathan and Adam at Bungie to do more voice work for Halo 3 and that it's the first time he'd seen them in more than a year.

Now, this either means that they're doing voices for the Peter Jackson Halo project, or that there's an expansion for Halo 3 in the works.

I don't think it's going to be an expansion. The ending of Halo 3 leaves no room for Marines or even the Covenant to appear. Maybe Marines could appear if the expansion was Arbiter centric and would involve the liberation of Sanghelios by Elite and UNSC forces.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Falagard said:

Now, this either means that they're doing voices for the Peter Jackson Halo project, or that there's an expansion for Halo 3, or even Halo 4.

http://talhost.net/gen-con-report-2/220/

Someone asked Alan what sci fi show he’d like to see a crossover episode with him so he said, “Ok, so I’m imagining that Firefly’s still on the air, that’s great, that’s working out and I’m still alive, but we have the sets and the costumes from the movie”. Then he said he’d like Tricia Helfer from Battlestar Galactica, and that he didn’t care if anyone else from BSG was on the show, the crossover could just be her. Alan also mentioned he’d seen her recently and she and Nathan and Adam and he recorded voices for a Halo 3 supplemental and it was like the last time with Nathan having all the leader lines and him having to be scared.

Halo 3 supplemental

wat

Granted, a lot of the time voice actors and the like don't know exactly what they're recording for or even really involved with. Like that artist a while back whose music got used in a Guitar Hero DLC and he had previously announced that he "was going to be in Guitar Hero IV," or something like that, and people freaked out.

But still...?

hc2

BocoDragon said:
Can't believe I'm gonna play Halo 4 on my PS4!! Payback time guys!!

You are talking about with the Halo plastic figurines on top of the PS4 which is waiting for another game to be released, right? :lol

Falagard

Ya, Cocop, I was searching for additional information / proof about it just now and found that link as well.

I got the info from a personal friend and colleague who I just got off the phone with. He attended Gencon and knows I'm a big Halo and Firefly fan and told me that Alan said he'd just done more voice work for Halo 3.

He said that he had to do lots of lines with him being frightened. The Bungie guys kept saying "That's great Alan, but can you be even more frightened?" and he'd do a really high pitched voice and say things like "Can't we just wait for re-inforcements?"

:)

Now I'm really baffled.

If Alan Tudyk said he was recently at Bungie doing voice work with the rest of the Firefly crew, that definitely points to some sort of single player content, obviously. It could easily be Chronicles, but then that calls into question why Bungie is so involved as to be recording voice acting at their studio.

I don't know if we ever got hard word on whether the Halo engine supported additional campaign content. Just based on the way the menu system is structured, and the way we know Bungie builds map files, it seems like it is POSSIBLE to have new campaign content.

And how this all relates to the superintendent is something else totally questionable...

Curiouser and curiouser...

Good detective work everyone!

[edit] So here's a thought.

What if they're Marines assigned to a cleanup crew of some kind?

Falagard

cartoon_soldier said:
Bungie BSG Game. Would be interesting though.

Maybe, they will lay down the story for Halo 4 with what happens when MC lands on the planet.

What would the marines be doing with the Master Chief on a remote planet? It doesn't make sense for it to have anything to do with the end of Halo 3.

There are many possibilities - it could be an additional level in the existing single player campaign - sort of a director's cut type thing, where you still play the Master Chief during the Halo 3 timeline.

It could be you play as a completely different character, such as the Arbiter or a different Spartan.

Or any number of other things, but I don't think it'd take place after Halo 3's events with the Master Chief.

web01

Do you think it would be possible to update Halo 3 to include a server list option?
I know the chances are like 0% but it would be nice.

GhaleonEB

Falagard said:
What would the marines be doing with the Master Chief on a remote planet? It doesn't make sense for it to have anything to do with the end of Halo 3.

There are many possibilities - it could be an additional level in the existing single player campaign - sort of a director's cut type thing, where you still play the Master Chief during the Halo 3 timeline.

It could be you play as a completely different character, such as the Arbiter or a different Spartan.

Or any number of other things, but I don't think it'd take place after Halo 3's events with the Master Chief.
Hmm. There are a few missions in Halo 3 where the Arbiter is not with the Chief. Maybe tell his story during those missions for a different perspective on the war.

web01 said:
Do you think it would be possible to update Halo 3 to include a server list option?
I know the chances are like 0% but it would be nice.
They could, but Bungie has said before that they will not do it for Halo 3, for many reasons.

Last Weekly Update said:
Major changes to the Halo 3 Online experience
Sweet Announcements

Halo 3 supplemental
And bear in mind that audio is one of the last things built in the Halo games. Voice recording and music composition/implementation took place very late in Halo 3's development.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
GhaleonEB said:
Halo 3: Blue Shift
Wasn't Blueshift the worst Half Life expansion?

Anyways, an expansion with updated multi would be awesome.

Striker

This better be something major. Not the Superintendent bullshit.

An expansion and overhaul of the online ranking system would be excellent.

GhaleonEB said:
Halo 3: Blue Shift
Halo 3: Eternal Blue

Also, some stuff I said in the other thread that urk just kicked me out of:

Yeah, the more I think of it the more I can't help but wonder why anyone would be working on Halo 3 after the game shipped apart from downloadable content - like new maps. It's obviously campaign-centric, and despite him actually stating that it was for Halo 3 - which could be a point of confusion for him - it would be WAY too early for them to be recording dialogue for Halo 4, something which is typically done at the end of the game's development cycle. Also, if there is a Halo 4 being planned, whatever its title might actually be, it would likely be following the Chief from the end of Halo 3 and there are no Marines there.

I'm guessing that this is a campaign expansion (maybe three missions or somethign) and to take it a step further, I wouldn't be surprised if this was available at cost as DLC - AND/OR - if this Halo "Blue" game is, in fact, Halo 3, with all of the new maps and a handful of new campaign missions - possibly even new permutations as well - that would make even more sense. Both the DLC and the disc itself could launch.

The real question for me is: How would it work with the fiction and the game's mechanics?

Well, it could potentially work in between levels where there are heavy seams, like at the end of Tsavo Highway or between The Ark and The Covenant - levels which don't spill into each other readily. Throwing three campaign missions in between two levels which maybe display the fall of the Covenant or some other aspect of the campaign which could have been fleshed out more would be awesome. Then, there's also the potential use of Elites - which could essentially be a small series of side-missions following a group of SpecOp Elites and using the Halo engine to do so.

Sorry for my out-loud thinking and the potential it might have for raising expectations, but there has to be some reason they're working on campaign AFTER the fact, right?
That being said, I think, Falagard, that you're onto something with it being a voiceover for a vignette of some sort.

Falagard

Striker said:
This better be something major. Not the Superintendent bullshit.

An expansion and overhaul of the online ranking system would be excellent.

Yup, because they sure owe it to you.

PhatSaqs said:
Maybe COD4 inspired multi?

*edit* Nevermind - don't want to start a fight.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Falagard said:
Yup, because they sure owe it to you.
They don't owe anything to anybody, but a Halo expansion with reworked multi would rock.

Mr Vociferous said:
I'd stop playing Halo if that were the case.

QFMFT!

I had my fun with COD4. I came back to Halo 3 for a reason. Im hoping for some kind of survival mode personally but i dont hold out a lot of hope :/

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Could it be that rumored Halo: Blue? Some sort of additional missions using the Halo 3 engine? It would be oh so sweeeet

I'm gonna wad up all the current shreds into a glutenous mass of slippery speculation and spit in on the wall here. Consume with a block of salt.

Superintendents manage property for landlords. They make sure everything is safe, clean, and functional. In the case of Bungie's Superintendents, they also come framed in code similar to what we've seen from plenty of Forerunner AI. Forerunner AI are often found to be both ominous and comical, with the latter often contributing to the former. Like John Wayne Gacy, Jr. in full clown regalia. Okay, maybe not that extreme.

Enter Wal-Mart's rogue computer system and Halo: Blue. Blue is significant in the Halo universe. It's the designator for the team of Spartans involved in the Battle of Reach, the Second Battle of Earth, and in the events that unfolded in Ghosts of Onyx. Rolling one rumor into the next, Blue Team would be a great vehicle to introduce a squad based mechanic.

Then we have voice actors being called back to record some lines for what they call "supplemental" Halo 3 stuff. It's pretty common for voice actors to record blind in the gaming industry. Often they don't know exactly what game they are working on, for obvious reasons. You can cite this very example as a reason studios don't want to fill them in. Actors trade in ego. Blabbering on about the sweet shit they are working on is par for the course. So you bring them in, record some combat dialog that would fit into Halo 3, or any other Halo universe title for that matter, and send them on their way.

Sounds to me like we may see a prequel charting some of Blue Team's missions before the events of the Halo Trilogy proper. But of course, as with everything Bungie, we won't know the 7ru7h of the matter until they want us too. Come tomorrow, hopefully things will be a bit clarified and we'll have something more concrete than wild fan speculation.

Eric WK

For some reason I was watching the G4 special from last night again this morning and something caught my ear. A viewer or something said something about wanting more information on the next Halo or something to that effect. (I wish he knew exactly what he said, but I was tired.) Morgan Webb responded by saying that they (G4 it sounded like) don't have anything to announce or talk about until Wednesday. Adam Sessler shot her a look and was like "There's a countdown on Bungie.net..." and Morgan was like "Yeah, yeah."

I may have heard this slightly wrong or overreacted to what I heard, but the first thing I thought was that they knew what was coming and that it was Halo related. Even if I'm wrong about that, it definitely seems like the announcement is a Halo announcement in some fashion.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
More to chew on. Found at HBO.

NewPicture3-1.jpg

No Master Chief. What's that covering Pwny's face?

Eric WK said:
For some reason I was watching the G4 special from last night again this morning and something caught my ear.

I heard this too. It sounded like they knew what was coming but couldn't say anything until an embargo lifted.

urk said:
I'm gonna wad up all the current shreds into a glutenous mass of slippery speculation and spit in on the wall here. Consume with a block of salt.

Superintendents manage property for landlords. They make sure everything is safe, clean, and functional. In the case of Bungie's Superintendents, they also come framed in code similar to what we've seen from plenty of Forerunner AI. Forerunner AI are often found to be both ominous and comical, with the latter often contributing to the former. Like John Wayne Gacy, Jr. in full clown regalia. Okay, maybe not that extreme.

Enter Wal-Mart's rogue computer system and Halo: Blue. Blue is significant in the Halo universe. It's the designator for the team of Spartans involved in the Battle of Reach, the Second Battle of Earth, and in the events that unfolded in Ghosts of Onyx. Rolling one rumor into the next, Blue Team would be a great vehicle to introduce a squad based mechanic.

Then we have voice actors being called back to record some lines for what they call "supplemental" Halo 3 stuff. It's pretty common for voice actors to record blind in the gaming industry. Often they don't know exactly what game they are working on, for obvious reasons. You can cite this very example as a reason studios don't want to fill them in. Actors trade in ego. Blabbering on about the sweet shit they are working on is par for the course. So you bring them in, record some combat dialog that would fit into Halo 3, or any other Halo universe title for that matter, and send them on their way.

Sounds to me like we may see a prequel charting some of Blue Team's missions before the events of the Halo Trilogy proper. But of course, as with everything Bungie, we won't know the 7ru7h of the matter until they want us too. Come tomorrow, hopefully things will be a bit clarified and we'll have something more concrete than wild fan speculation.

I think it will be something cool, but maybe not thatcool. I'm expecting a nice scoop of creamy ice cream, but you're describing that ice cream on top of a warm brownie, covered with whip cream and hot fudge, hand-delivered by Heidi Klum in a french maid outfit.

TDG

Banned
At this point, the breadcrumb trail has become so erratic, I have no clue what to think.

Instead of speculating and later seeming like a fool, I'm just going to hope it's something cool, sit back, and enjoy myself. Tomorrow, I'll wake up, eat some toast, read the paper, and check the internets, and there it'll be.

urk said:
Sounds to me like we may see a prequel charting some of Blue Team's missions before the events of the Halo Trilogy proper.
I. Would. Buy.

I'm curious how they would manage to work on a full-length game between the end of Halo 3 and now - and complete it for a Fall release. Maybe they were working on this during Halo 3's development or maybe it's using the Halo 3 engine - I mean we already have the models for Mark V armor, right?

Maybe it's both.

With Harold Ryan (joshingly) stating that the M6D was going to return and his comment here:

Partly, but not entirely. With likely less than a year of Halo 3 development left, and the end of this monumental trilogy (though not necessarily of Bungie Halo games – Ryan at one point refers to “the next Halo game" and says it will likely be a shooter) in sight, the germination of new, original projects is already underway.
This is an exact quote from here from early 2007, but the page was recently taken down. Some of you may remember the article, it had a lot of interesting shots of their Kirkland location.

Maybe we'll be seeing Blue Team afterall...

I do still get a very XBLA vibe from "The Superintendent" - so my guess is that this is unrelated to Halo. I know a lot of people want to see something different and unique from Bungie, while a shit ton of people want to see something Halo. An announcement on both would be massive.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
Oh wow.

They're officially screwing with us. :lol

Of course they are. And that would be one hell of a fitting header for B.net. "Bungie.net: Officially Screwing With You."

If there's one thing Bungie has mastered, it's foreplay.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
the disgruntled gamer said:
At this point, the breadcrumb trail has become so erratic, I have no clue what to think.

Instead of speculating and later seeming like a fool...

lol

I don't think I've guessed right once. Not ever. But hell, the world needs jesters. amirite?

Louis Wu said:
I'm very uncomfortable with this, and with where it puts me (us). And with what's coming next.

Prepare to be Brutezoned!

fin

I'm going out on a limb here...Halo Blue could just be the code name for the disc based versions of the DLC maps.

Bungie have released 7 so far. I'm thinking there will be another 3 within the next month or two. Then when this Halo Blue is released there maybe another 5 on the disc and on the same day be available to download from live.

Maybe this disc will have some of the more 'graphically simple' ports from Halo CE and Halo 2. All the significant User Created stuff could be on there as well. GrifBall, Forged Maps and Game varients.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Shake Appeal said:
I still think Flood containment/survival horror blah blah. But that's just projection, because that's what I want.

You play as a Sentinel. The Flood are making a mess of the facility. It's your job, along with dozens of other Superintendent AIs, to keep it clean.

GhaleonEB

Kuroyume said:
Has that sticker always been there? The one behind Chief and the Jackal...
It was added about two months ago.
Louis Wu said:
I'm very uncomfortable with this, and with where it puts me (us). And with what's coming next.
With Bungie, it will lead to something revealing. With Urk it will also be revealing, but if I'm looking forward to Bungie's peepshow a bit more, myself.

urk said:
You play as a Sentinel. The Flood are making a mess of the facility. It's your job, along with dozens of other Superintendent AIs, to keep it clean.
I wonder. Perhaps "The Smuggler" fiction, and the Cold Storage map, tie into your role as the Monitor trying to contain an outbreak. Maybe the one watching over Cold Storage.

Top Bottom