• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next IP - Is a Dungeon RPG + Loot

According to their new Job listings below

Bungie is seeking a highly technical, creative, and team-oriented Investment Designer who is excited to help us build our next great IP.

You are the glue between the sword and the reward. You will work in tandem with our sandbox and economy teams to build and distribute items to our players. Living inside a giant database of hundreds of baubles, weapons, and armor is nothing new to you. And neither is building a system to cleverly distribute those items in a necromancer's dungeon.

If this sounds like you, or a challenge you'd like to take on, we'd love to hear from you!

During these uncertain times and rapidly changing environment surrounding COVID-19, all positions at Bungie are subject to onboarding and working virtually/remotely. "
  • Design, build, and tune a wide variety of pursuit and loot systems
  • Build and maintain the database of in-game items
  • Design for an overarching game economy and the constraints it presents

REQUIRED SKILLS
  • Experience designing, documenting, and executing itemization, investment, or any other fundamental RPG game system at any scale
  • Ability to creatively align with the leadership team and then take initiative
  • Experience playtesting, getting feedback, and giving feedback

Source - http://careers.bungie.com/en-us/careers/game-design/2158590/incubation-investment-designer

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
That would just be wasted talent. Halo FPS clones for 20 years? C'mon. This new direction actually sounds exciting.

More loot dungeon crawling, but more generic, is the last thing that sounds exciting.

I meant blockbuster single player games in general. I'd love Bungie's take on an RPG with a sweeping fantasy story, for example.

Tbh, though, I'm not sure how much is even left of the Bungie I loved during the Xbox/360 days, from staffing to culture.

Life

More loot dungeon crawling, but more generic, is the last thing that sounds exciting.

I meant blockbuster single player games in general. I'd love Bungie's take on an RPG with a sweeping fantasy story, for example.

Tbh, though, I'm not sure how much is even left of the Bungie I loved during the Xbox/360 days, from staffing to culture.

They won't know until they try. They either get it right and profit/build from there. Or they get it wrong and learn to do better for the next project. FPS games in general need to die for a good 15 years or so - until the technology is there for truly immersive controls...I'm talking controlling the game with your mind/pupils.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Another pointless "looter" game with the sole goal of gaining arbitrary rewards... for arbitrary encounters... in an arbitrary world with a piece-meal narrative which serves no purpose other then to push you from one loot skirmish to the other loot skirmish? Yeah no thanks.

I sound like a jerk I know... but I long for the days of a quality narrative driven experience rather than a loot driven experience. Loot and cosmetics mean nothing to me. They are not real and they mean nothing. But a quality narrative experience, with excellent gameplay and art design will stay with me for years to come. Destiny isn't all bad though, the gameplay is enjoyable with friends and family and the worlds are beautiful. But I personally need a better hook, one that does not included randomized loot.

johntown

Banned
So Destiny in a dungeon? It has potential sure. I will probably give it shot as I greatly enjoyed the first Destiny so I don't see why I would not enjoy this until it get to where Destiny is now.

SleepDoctor

Banned
sorry but they were obviously only good at making Halo games. Then sold their souls to Activision. I don't see them returning to their glory days.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Love loot based games.. count me in.

But this just as easily could be looking for someone for the Destiny team. Throw in Necromancer's dungeon to throw people off.. the rest could easily just be Destiny 2.

Either way it's good they are investing in talent in these areas; the loot and RPG mechanics in Destiny could use a fresh set of eyes.

They are terrible at loot, so I have no hope. They fill your inventory with a million common weapons and reskins and nothing ever feels valuable anymore.....unlike the early days of D1, where there was a degree of rarity to things like G-horn etc.
So much this.

After Diablo 1 and 2 and a few other RPGs in the early days of gaming, I never felt like loot systems would be difficult to grasp for developers but after the recent showings, apparently loot is hard to figure out. Anthem, Diablo 3 to an extent, Destiny 1 and 2.

Make the loot interesting, fun and valuable and you'll make tons of money selling your game.

Honjo

Banned
Bungie should stay away from narrative based games, since they have some of the worst writing in the entire industry. Who can forget gems such as, "I don't have time to explain, why I don't have time to explain." or the "wizard that came from the moon."

None of these companies are what they were. A few years of success and they all sell out, jumping straight on the bandwagon of the next corporate trend. How many times can you run around a re-skinned version of a map that's been in a hundred different games with minor changes? Every loot game is trash.

Codes 208

Bungie should stay away from narrative based games, since they have some of the worst writing in the entire industry. Who can forget gems such as, "I don't have time to explain, why I don't have time to explain." or the "wizard that came from the moon."

None of these companies are what they were. A few years of success and they all sell out, jumping straight on the bandwagon of the next corporate trend. How many times can you run around a re-skinned version of a map that's been in a hundred different games with minor changes? Every loot game is trash.
Cant say i fully agree with that. While destiny’s story was a cobbled mess, the halo trilogy plus odst and reach had amazing campaigns and the extended universe they helped create is part of why i stayed with the franchise

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They are terrible at loot, so I have no hope. They fill your inventory with a million common weapons and reskins and nothing ever feels valuable anymore.....unlike the early days of D1, where there was a degree of rarity to things like G-horn etc.
Well if you think they are terrible at loot (don't really disagree)... then hiring someone with that exact experience is a good thing.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm not making this a Halo issue but it matters that Bungie moved on from it and was able to make huge money with Destiny.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Loot based Dungeon RPG? Nice. Definitely interested.

Mypmarlo

Banned
Why going only half way?
Bungie should drop the pretense n move to China to release free to play mobile RPG that is even more shitier then their last two games n mines bitcoin for them while u play it
Call it Pledge: Shadow Demons

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

And a million billion currencies. You'll get bronze silver and gold of course, then the medals of courage, the nuggets of luck, the coins of the dwarves, the orbs of the rainbow, the tears of the dryads, the slivers of the eternal... every 3 months 3 new currencies!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally the original Destiny vision.

Another pointless "looter" game with the sole goal of gaining arbitrary rewards... for arbitrary encounters... in an arbitrary world with a piece-meal narrative which serves no purpose other then to push you from one loot skirmish to the other loot skirmish? Yeah no thanks.

I sound like a jerk I know... but I long for the days of a quality narrative driven experience rather than a loot driven experience. Loot and cosmetics mean nothing to me. They are not real and they mean nothing. But a quality narrative experience, with excellent gameplay and art design will stay with me for years to come. Destiny isn't all bad though, the gameplay is enjoyable with friends and family and the worlds are beautiful. But I personally need a better hook, one that does not included randomized loot.

If you are going to question video games all of our lives have no meaning.

Aion002

tenor.gif

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I did not expect to see them do another loot based game given the Destiny roadmap + how difficult they are to maintain. unless they are going the Diablo route and not the MMO/Destiny route. They did have a fantasy game in development alongside Destiny but part of it got rolled into Destiny and the rest was scrapped. It would surprise me if that got revived but perhaps it did.

I really expected them to do a hero based F2P shooter since Destiny leans more PVE and there has been a bit of a fight back and forth there. When Destiny 2 shipped they really expressed a desire to return to the Halo style 4v4 arena shooter + abilities. I've been anticipating something in the vein of Siege, Overwatch, Valorant, Quake Champions based what they've said + the logo from the trademark filing. Either way I will certainly check it out. All of their games have been good. Destiny had some bumps but still enjoy it and when its good its really good.

Joey.

Sounds interesting.
Gotta keep my ear out of this.

If its anything like Diablo....its got my attention.

If this is basically medieval Borderlands that could potentially be amazing. But I ain't gonna hold my breath. I feel like Destiny was a great idea with a TON of wasted potential.

Bryank75

Banned
And a million billion currencies. You'll get bronze silver and gold of course, then the medals of courage, the nuggets of luck, the coins of the dwarves, the orbs of the rainbow, the tears of the dryads, the slivers of the eternal... every 3 months 3 new currencies!
They should hire you to come up with currency names! That's awesome.

One of the main reasons I quit D2, too much to grind and track. Just not fun.

Phase

See Bungie struck gold with Halo. It's simplicity and focus is what made it amazing. They refined and emphasized only a few select things (i.e. weapon sandbox, movement, maps). Single player stuck to those same principles too.

This is where I think most game devs go wrong today. If you make a game that is at its very core fun to play and refines it's gameplay to emphasize that fun, you don't need the bells and whistles. Look at Dark Souls, for example. It has simple mechanics and a set of core principles that enhance the gameplay. This allows the game to flourish. The amount of mods and challenge runs are endless. And all of that comes from a mastery of simplicity.

I don't really care much for loot based games for a couple reasons. One: everything is devalued. Two: it takes the focus away from the actual gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom