• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burning fat, what works the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You're completely forgetting any reason why the OP is the weight he/she is.

The whole message of 'you don't need to exercise' isn't what the OP needs to hear right now. Not only that, but the transition of going from eating carbs to near 0 is far more difficult than you say. It requires a lot of research and a massive change on lifestyle.

And you're not 100% guaranteed to lose weight either. I tried Keto at least 3 times and only the once did I lose. It's an easy way to get frustrated and put you off the whole thing, that's for sure.

What makes taking 300 to 500 calories from your maintenance so difficult?

I'd say the whole message of 'you don't need to exercise' is exactly what the OP needs to hear and understand to be true. You don't. You *NEED* to change your diet (read:
"change diet" not "go on a diet").

Exercise can come later. It will be a lot more fun and satisfying when you're leaner anyway.

Being faced with the prospect of a starvation diet (drastically reduced amounts of food) and strenuous, painful exercise is a quick way to discourage anyone, and exactly why almost every single person who approaches this thing from a "reduce calories/increase exercise" angle fails spectacularly. You become miserable almost instantly.

Except that professor who ate pretty much nothing but Twinkies and lost 30 pounds.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Yeah, that was bullshit. Twinkies actually accounted for very little of what he ate:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2010/11/16/the-twinkie-diet/

I feel like I have to post this in every one of these threads...

Sure he might not have to exercise since simply changing his diet will yield results at his current weight, but there's no harm done in starting now. Better to start getting in the habit of exercising and dieting properly, it'll make it easier too when he hits a plateau.

Also, the dude is heavy, better to exercise also so that he can deal with any loose skin that's gonna remain after losing all those lbs, well to an extent, can only do want you can do and pray it doesn't get too bad with loose skin.

entremet

I'd say the whole message of 'you don't need to exercise' is exactly what the OP needs to hear and understand to be true. You don't. You *NEED* to change your diet (read:

Exercise can come later. It will be a lot more fun and satisfying when you're leaner anyway.

Being faced with the prospect of a starvation diet (drastically reduced amounts of food) and strenuous, painful exercise is a quick way to discourage anyone, and exactly why almost every single person who approaches this thing from a "reduce calories/increase exercise" angle fails spectacularly. You become miserable almost instantly.

Yeah, that was bullshit. Twinkies actually accounted for very little of what he ate:

People are really obsessed with exercise for fat loss. The science has already spoken.

Again, exercise for other benefits, not fat loss. Diet is a bigger lever.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So you think telling someone with a history of weight problems to eat all they want as long as it's not carbs, will get them out of the problem they're in at the first place? Eat all the chicken wings, ribs, bacon, eggs, fat, cheese, cream the lot and WATCH the weight drop off you?

Yes, that's exactly what I did and what countless others have done/are doing. I would wager that it almost universally works, although some people do have a lot of trouble with carb withdrawal.

Calories in/calories out is another example of our arrogance as a species, thinking that we have it all figured out. Completely ignoring the intricate and complex system that is our bodies and all of the various hormones that govern it in favor of a bullshit equation that makes so many incorrect assumptions at every step of the way that it's insane that anyone can think it's even remotely valid.

Completely ignoring the intricate and complex system that is our bodies and all of the various hormones that govern it in favor of a bullshit equation that makes so many incorrect assumptions at every step of the way that it's insane that anyone can think it's even remotely valid.

You must've felt really proud of yourself typing out that sentence.

Let me tell you how to lose fat.

1) Sleep
2) Drink Water
3) Calorie Deficit
4) Cardio
5) Do more reps ( 15 - 20) and compounded workouts.
6) Only work abs for 10 min
7) Take 30 sec rests
8) WORK WITH A PARTNER

9 ) EAT GOOD CARBS ( ESPECIALLY AFTER A WORKOUT)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You must've felt really proud of yourself typing out that sentence.

Not at all... Brevity has never been a strength of mine. I get way too long-winded more often than not, and that sentence is a prime example.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Don't start any diet you can't keep up for the rest of your life. If you can't survive off crackers, yogurt, and celery for the next 60 years then you shouldn't be trying to do so now. Find a reasonable lifelong diet that satisfies your hunger and tastebuds without starving you and making you miserable. I suggest cutting portions and reducing intake of certain sugary foods to once a week rather than any drastic diet. You'll lose weight at a much slower rate but you will keep it off.

AppleBlade

I've lost 60 pounds and am currently in the best shape of my life (I'm 33) and I can tell you that diet is by far the most important factor.

Step 1 - You must track everything you eat! This is by far the most important thing you can do. You will eat healthier and less just by tracking it.

Step 2 - Focus on protein and produce (fruits & veggies). Reduce carbs as much as you can. Just don't buy the unhealthy stuff if at all possible.

Step 3 - Drink a lot more water.

Step 4 - As for exercise, if you want to do the bare minimum (like me), you can try my workout, 5 sets of Pushups, Inverted Rows (like Pull-ups but easier) and Squats with a 1 minute rest between sets. This will get you looking pretty decent in just 30 minutes a workout (3-4 times a week). Those exercises cover your pushing muscles, pulling muscles and lower body. You can add crunches, lunges, and planks if you want to do more. Also make sure to track how many reps you are doing and keep challenging yourself to do more.

Personally, I don't have the time or desire to go to the gym. I've been doing this type of workout and I have been amazed at the results. As the weight has gone down the muscle definition has been coming out and I look like someone who actually goes to the gym. Someone just asked me if I have been doing cross fit and no I just spend 30 minutes in my basement doing the above routine. I'll probably get a weighted vest soon to keep challenging myself. Sure the guys spending 8 hours in the gym a week and have to drive there, change and come back home will be stronger and more buff but I'm looking 50% as good for 10% of the time investment.

Step 5 - Sleep 8 hours a night. You will make smarter food and exercise decisions when you're thinking straight. Sleep is the cure all for people not doing it right. It has improved my personality, performance at work and is a big contributor to my physical fitness improvements.

The Pope

I am a sedentary, overweight guy who started an all-potato diet on Sunday. I eat about 6-8 plain steamed (microwaved) potatoes a day plus a multivitamin and occasionally some sauerkraut. I am not exercising besides some walking. So far I am down 3 pounds (from 211) since Monday morning.

I know it sounds ridiculous. But it is easy to plan, it is cheap as hell, and I am not ever hungry or tired despite being at a pretty dramatic calorie deficit. My plan is to do this Sunday afternoon-Friday afternoon for a few weeks and see how it goes. The main change I've noticed is that at the end of the day I am more inclined to go to sleep earlier. Having Friday coming up as a cheat night helps psychologically, since the potatoes are really boring. I basically just think of them as diet pills I take to curb hunger and give me energy.

People on the internet say the diet is not as bad as it sounds because potatoes are like 4% protein, and that since the diet is fat-free, the potatoes provoke your body to burn fat to produce insulin. But maybe it is bro-science, I don't know. What do you all think?
Potatoes are terrible for you, they are my fave tho. All that starch becomes sugar unless you exercise it off. Keep a balanced diet. Dont eat carbs, bread, sugar or heavy starches. Eat as much Cauliflower, Brocolli, Salad, Carrots, Fruit, meat as you want.

it's all about limiting your caloric intake BUT also adjusting your diet to one that's reasonable for your liking. basically, don't go on a stupid ass liquid diet and be surprised when you gain all that wait you lost back because a liquid diet isn't sustainable over long periods of time.

learn how to make healthy, tasty foods that are still good and aren't a pain in the ass to eat. get some recipes and do them. you can add a lot of flavor to dishes with some simple herbs, vegies, etc.

i'd focus on the calories first. start counting and start walking now and start working in more physical activities as you go, but keep those calories limited.

protein/fats are not your enemy. limit your carbs, but still consume some via fruits/vegies/rice. get rid of the junk and good luck op. you can do it man!

Lombax

Banned
- Change your diet (this can be a rabbit hole, and everyone will have a different opinion): My wife and I switched to this type of diet 8 months ago and it has been great! The only other thing I will add is his recipes taste good.

- Exercise with a friend:
Combined with the above diet change we also switched to a regular exercise routine. We now mostly do weights one day and cardio the next.

- Drink water:
You body needs that shit!

This is a video that I like to share with people. Its a bit over the top, and crass. There is good information however.

Best of luck OP!

He should absolutely exercise during the dieting as well.

For him just to do nothing but diet until he's lean, then jump into exercising, is awful advice. Not to mention he will see better gains if he's combining diet and exercise, but the biggest thing is his body will be better prepared. Have you exercised before? The more you do it, the easier it becomes at that level. When you stop for a while, it becomes harder again.

Kenstar

You know you can do a diet change that loses weight in the short term and then switch over to a more sustainable long term diet once at your ideal weight.
You wouldn't drive a car at redline all the time, but that doesn't mean you should NEVER FLOOR IT BECAUSE THAT''S NOT SUSTAINABLE

Sometimes you have to run, even if you cant keep the pace up forever. Sometimes you have to cut back more on spending, even if you can't keep it up indefinitely. Sometimes you have to floor it to merge onto the highway, even if you wouldn't drive the whole way like that. And sometimes you have to change your diet, even if you wouldn't eat like that for the rest of your natural life.
What's important is that you dont go back to the proven failure of a diet that got you overweight once you are done, which is what people can do, including me.

Potatoes are terrible for you, they are my fave tho. All that starch becomes sugar unless you exercise it off. Keep a balanced diet. Dont eat carbs, bread, sugar or heavy starches. Eat as much Cauliflower, Brocolli, Salad, Carrots, Fruit, meat as you want.

What? Potatoes are hardly "terrible" for you. Balanced with other parts of a diet there is plenty of nutrition in them.

That said eating 6-8 potatoes a day and not much else is a bad diet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He should absolutely exercise during the dieting as well.

For him just to do nothing but diet until he's lean, then jump into exercising, is awful advice. Not to mention he will see better gains if he's combining diet and exercise, but the biggest thing is his body will be better prepared. Have you exercised before? The more you do it, the easier it becomes at that level. When you stop for a while, it becomes harder again.

I would rather he be successful. Jumping in the deep end by making too many dramatic changes at once is a big part of why so many people give up.

Of course it's a good idea to get exercise and use your muscles, but diet is far more important when it comes strictly to weight loss. When the pounds start dropping, the person will likely feel that much better about him or herself and life in general. Exercising without a ton of excess weight is a lot more pleasurable of an experience, too.

Obviously the OP should not be discouraged from exercising, but he should also not feel like he needs to exercise in order to get lean.

Again, I just think it's better to make gradual changes unless you know for a fact that you are an "all or nothing" type of person with a very strong willpower.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Just take a look at his diet, he is regularly hitting over 100g of sugar per day on an 1800 cal diet. Of course he wasn't just eating Twinkies, but this was as sugar heavy a diet as you could be expected to have without just eating raw sugar. And he lost a lot of weight, which is impossible according to the people who claim that it's impossible to lose weight while eating excessive sugar.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just take a look at his diet, he is regularly hitting over 100g of sugar per day on an 1800 cal diet. Of course he wasn't just eating Twinkies, but this was as sugar heavy a diet as you could be expected to have without just eating raw sugar. And he lost a lot of weight, which is impossible according to the people who claim that it's impossible to lose weight while eating excessive sugar.

Did you look at the food logs? Compared to a lot of people in the U.S., his diet wasn't even that 'dirty'. You could easily consume a lot more sugar without just eating raw sugar as you claim.

Also, I must have missed the people who claimed that it is "impossible to lose weight while eating excessive sugar." I've certainly never made such a claim.

Wouldn't some resistance bands (tubes) also help too? Since going to a gym and lifting weights might not be the best route at this current moment.

I also have been told cardio is a 1:1 ratio for burning fat. so, that is only good for about 10% of your goal to lean/build muscle and lose body fat. i belelive 30 is diet and 60 is excersice? im trying to remember the chart we went over . I think resistance training is like 7:1 or something? i forgot what my trainer told me sorry! haha

What? Potatoes are hardly "terrible" for you. Balanced with other parts of a diet there is plenty of nutrition in them.

That said eating 6-8 potatoes a day and not much else is a bad diet.

It's only 5 days a week with a multivitamin. The other days I'll have meat, dairy, and vegetables. Supposedly potatoes are fairly well-balanced, and people can live off of literally nothing but them for years. Could you explain what you mean by bad? So far I've lost weight and have more confidence that I can master my hunger and cravings FWIW.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Did you look at the food logs? Compared to a lot of people in the U.S., his diet wasn't even that 'dirty'. You could easily consume a lot more sugar without just eating raw sugar as you claim.

Also, I must have missed the people who claimed that it is "impossible to lose weight while eating excessive sugar." I've certainly never made such a claim.

Even if you only eat 1500 kcal per day you will get fat it all colories come from sugar.

Okay maybe not impossible or maybe he was referring to a 5' tall woman, but this is the original post I was responding to.

It's only 5 days a week with a multivitamin. The other days I'll have meat, dairy, and vegetables. Supposedly potatoes are fairly well-balanced, and people can live off of literally nothing but them for years. Could you explain what you mean by bad? So far I've lost weight and have more confidence that I can master my hunger and cravings FWIW.

I hear you, here's the deal.

5 medium potatoes is about 815 calories:

21.5 grams of protein
185 grams of carbs
1 gram of fat

That's a really bad balance of macros there. That's VERY carb heavy. Yes, people can live off of that, but it's not ideal by any means.

You need to get your protein way higher. If you weight 150lbs I would try to at least get 100grams of protein a day. Everything else after can be fats and carbs.

I would also try to get a better ratio of fats mixed in there. That's VERY low on the fats.

You would be better served to eat something like beans at least:

Black beans at 800 calories:

50 grams of protein
152 grams of carbs
1.9 grams of fat

that's at least a little better balanced, though I would still supplement with some dairy or something to get the fat and protein higher.

Additionally, as many have said, it's just not sustainable. I doubt you will eat that kind of potato diet for the rest of your life. If you aren't, you will eventually have to balance a more complex diet. Better to do the groundwork now and learn so that you can create sustainable habits for a lifestyle change.

Wouldn't some resistance bands (tubes) also help too? Since going to a gym and lifting weights might not be the best route at this current moment.

I also have been told cardio is a 1:1 ratio for burning fat. so, that is only good for about 10% of your goal to lean/build muscle and lose body fat. i belelive 30 is diet and 60 is excersice? im trying to remember the chart we went over . I think resistance training is like 7:1 or something? i forgot what my trainer told me sorry! haha

Resistance bands are still essentially "weightlifting." You'll max out fairly quickly, but it's not a bad start for people.

Glin

It depends on your bodysize and weight. Many factors like your fatpercentage, what kind of type food currently taking, calorie intake and experience with exercising. And don't forget your home situation and finance. If you still live home with family and the food environment is not healthy the temptation is bigger than living alone where you can have more control with your surrounding. I suggest change gradually your foodchoices as many posters mentioned and lower your calories with 200-300 at least with cardio and basic weighttraining. And do this step by step.

On exercising depends what your body can take. Learning weight compound lifts is a must. Take a weight where you can perfect the form and gradually adding weights. Cardio is a tricky part. Depends how good your legs are and your condition is. Try running and see how it goes. Maybe you will have trouble with your ankles or knees for example. Then try biking or other cardio alternatives. In the end it is a mental issue/block. If you wanna change just do it and dont be afraid what others think when you make mistakes or look silly doing something. And most of the time it is always worse in your own head than what people really think about it. 👍🏻

"impact on kidneys due to amounts of protein being used as the go to energy source"

That's not a ketogenic diet, then. You're talking about a low-carb/low-fat/high-protein diet, which is a recipe for being miserable if you ask me.

It is also part of high fat high protein low carb diets (also low fat high carb if it has high protein). You are correct in the fact that low carb, low fat, and high protein would result in protein being used as a direct form of energy however when eating a balanced diet protein is primarily used for building or repair but when there is an imbalance your body will use protein to fill the gaps by either being converted to glycogen or fatty acids, over the long term this adds stress to the kidney and a build up of ammonia (not many studies on the ammonia bit though on what this could do) with the former being thought to be a leading contributor to Chronic Kidney Diseases and problems relating to renal function, some studies say it can be show within 3 months with those that are susceptible at more risk. When a keto diet is used for medical reasons such as epilepsy the diet will often be supplemented with medication for those that suffer from kidney stones due to the issue.

harSon

Banned
I dropped from 361 pounds to 180ish years back. The best advice I can give is to pick a diet and workout plan that you feel you can maintain long term. And by long term, I mean the duration of your existence on this planet. There's a lot of diet plans that'll amount to legitimate weight loss, but the best diet plan is something you can actually abide by on a daily basis. Test the waters, find what works and stick to it.

I personally started out by simply cutting out sugary drinks (Juices and Sodas), junk food and fast food. I lost about 30 or so pounds doing that. I then did calorie deficit, and probably got down to about 260 pounds or so. I then transitioned into a low-carb diet, which I was on to lose the rest of my weight - and am still on to this day. I probably didn't start working out until I had already lost about 70-80% of my weight. But if you're going for weight loss, I'd recommend hitting the weights. You'll burn more calories through out a given day, it'll counterbalance the muscle loss you'll experience while dieting and when you ultimately drop all of your weight - you won't look like a depleted space alien. As others have said, weight loss is primarily diet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It is also part of high fat high protein low carb diets (also low fat high carb if it has high protein). You are correct in the fact that low carb, low fat, and high protein would result in protein being used as a direct form of energy however when eating a balanced diet protein is primarily used for building or repair but when there is an imbalance your body will use protein to fill the gaps by either being converted to glycogen or fatty acids, over the long term this adds stress to the kidney and a build up of ammonia (not many studies on the ammonia bit though on what this could do) with the former being thought to be a leading contributor to Chronic Kidney Diseases and problems relating to renal function, some studies say it can be show within 3 months with those that are susceptible at more risk. When a keto diet is used for medical reasons such as epilepsy the diet will often be supplemented with medication for those that suffer from kidney stones due to the issue.

In a ketogenic diet, this does not happen. If the person is using being forced to utilize protein for energy, then he or she is not getting enough fat. Furthermore, "balanced diet" is a very misleading term typically used by people who advocate a diet in which carbohydrate are the staple. Macronutrients are not equal in what they can do and only one macronutrient is unessential.

Okay maybe not impossible or maybe he was referring to a 5' tall woman, but this is the original post I was responding to.

Well, you certainly wouldn't be able to build any muscle on such a diet and it would certainly be very catabolic, and also destructive to the person's health and metabolism.

Surfinn

Amazing. This post is like 100% misinformation and scaremongering. Like, you would have to try hard to be more incorrect than this.

It's always puzzled me why glucose is looked at as the primary source of energy by some, when you can barely store any of it compared to fat and the body quickly reverts to using fat for energy when carbs are limited or absent.

I wonder what percentage of people will actually stick with keto as a lifestyle. Again, I'm not saying you WILL be unhealthy or that you won't lose weight on this diet, but there is no point of entirely cutting out an energy source (carbs) when you absolutely do not need to.

Like I said, I've been eating a plant based diet for 7 months now and am losing weight/gaining muscle eating potatoes, rice, pasta, fruit, veggies.. and have never attempted to lower my consumption of these things.

If you're eating whole foods, you will lose weight, be healthy and feel great without having to cut out carbs.

Speaking of scaremongering, this anti-carb craze is absolutely incorrect and causing people to step away from healthy foods/sources of energy.

You do NOT need to cut carbs to lose weight and be healthy, this is a myth (just make sure you're eating WHOLE FOODS/cooking meals). My GF (she's almost a year in) and I have been losing weight/building muscle and we eat carbs regularly.

People deserve to know that this is another route to take and a permanent lifestyle change instead of adopting yet another fad or craze.

In a ketogenic diet, this does not happen. If the person is using being forced to utilize protein for energy, then he or she is not getting enough fat. Furthermore, "balanced diet" is a very misleading term typically used by people who advocate a diet in which carbohydrate are the staple. Macronutrients are not equal in what they can do and only one macronutrient is unessential.

The Ketogenic diet does not stop normal functions of the body from happening, our body require glycogens for quick access energy if there is a deficit from carbs then this will be fulfilled by protein. It just doesn't give the stores you would get from carbs which creates the quicker move to fats which also requires the body to learn how to access these as an energy source. If you aren't getting fats and too many carbs then protein will fulfil the role of the fats.

A balanced diet fills all core functions of the body with no excess. So few people actually attempt to do the RDA approach and many people think their diet is what is recommended but is often a long shot away (if you need to address your diet then it certainly isn't) and jump to whatever is quicker at getting a certain goal. You don't have to eat high carbs and low fat or high fat and low carbs, eat balanced, an adequate level of fat and an adequate level of carbs all from varied sources, lots of varied veg and adequate level of protein there should be zero problems with your health related to diet. Unless you happen to be diabetic either from a shit diet, naturally at risk to it or suffer from certain conditions that benefit from a keto diet you should have no reason to go on one and shouldn't take it on, certainly not for the long term without a medical professional and serious research on what need supplementing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Ketogenic diet does not stop normal functions of the body from happening, our body require glycogens for quick access energy if there is a deficit from carbs then this will be fulfilled by protein. It just doesn't give the stores you would get from carbs which creates the quicker move to fats which also requires the body to learn how to access these as an energy source. If you aren't getting fats and too many carbs then protein will fulfil the role of the fats.

No, only part of your brain *requires* a very small amount of glycogen for energy. It's quite actually the only part of the body that requires it. Everything else happily and efficiently uses fatty acids and ketones (not to say that they work exactly like glycogen, of course, because they do not). The amount required by the brain is very small, which is precisely why our body can easily manufacture enough of it using a small bit of protein without putting any excess burden on the kidneys. With a ketogenic diet, your body will not try to fill up its glycogen stores in the muscles and such by converting protein to glucose.

Your body does not need to "learn how to use" fat as an energy source. Fat is very much the default energy source. Babies are born in ketosis. I'm not saying carbs are useless, but they are absolutely unessential to longevity, vibrant health, and performance.

A balanced diet fills all core functions of the body with no excess. So few people actually attempt to do the RDA approach and many people think their diet is what is recommended but is often a long shot away (if you need to address your diet then it certainly isn't) and jump to whatever is quicker at getting a certain goal. You don't have to eat high carbs and low fat or high fat and low carbs, eat balanced, an adequate level of fat and an adequate level of carbs all from varied sources, lots of varied veg and adequate level of protein there should be zero problems with your health related to diet. Unless you happen to be diabetic either from a shit diet, naturally at risk to it or suffer from certain conditions that benefit from a keto diet you should have no reason to go on one and shouldn't take it on, certainly not for the long term without a medical professional and serious research on what need supplementing.

Exactly which nutrients could someone possibly need that they couldn't get from sources of fat, protein, and fibrous green vegetables?

Of course people would be peddling the low carb or ketogenic diet. Ugh...

Yes, of course. It's because millions and millions of people are finding amazing success and great health benefits by reducing or eliminating carbs. I only got into in 2011, but it's been quite fascinating to see how many more people have managed to turn their lives around since then. It's gone from the fringes to being increasingly accepted by the mainstream in just the last five years as it becomes clearer and clearer how safe, and even optimal of a solution it is for so many people out there who are suffering from diet-related illnesses.

Topfuel

1. Change your eating habits. Losing weight and staying there is about lifestyle changes. Ramp it up slowly.
2. Cardio. Ramp it slowly. Swap out driving with walking to stuff, etc.
3. Calisthenics (see you are already doing it) and do core exercises. Plenty of good stuff online.

But remember to do physical stuff that is fun or you will lose motivation.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Of course people would be peddling the low carb or ketogenic diet. Ugh...

Peddling, sounds like you're discounting all the posters who had meaningful success with low carb/keto dieting.

Exactly which nutrients could someone possibly need that they couldn't get from sources of fat, protein, and fibrous green vegetables?

This right here. I ate a large 4 serving bag of steamed nutrient dense vegetables and I'm still under 20 carbs (a third from fiber). People who decry low carb seem to think rice, bread, and potatoes are vital to long-term health.

Peddling, sounds like you're discounting all the posters who had meaningful success with low carb/keto dieting.

This right here. I ate a large 4 serving bag of steamed nutrient dense vegetables and I'm still under 20 carbs. People who decry low carb seem to think rice, bread, and potatoes are vital to long-term health.

I think keto is totally legit and a fine methodology. But the keto people who say declare carbs are "evil" or "bad" are equally silly.

I've done low carb and it was just fine. I also did a macro balance of fat and carb and it worked almost the same for me as long as I kept the calories the same.

Some of you are acting like the things you eat in a keto diet are unique to it. I can eat a bag of nutrient rich veggies with balanced macros AND have a slice of cake and achieve the same thing as long as my calories are in the window and my macros balance out.

No single food is vital to long term health. That's a hyperbolic strawman. But it is completely possible to have a healthy diet and still consume some level of carbs. Granted, most people these days eat far too many carbs.

Different roads, same destination (disclaimer: depending on the unique body response).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Calories in/calories out is another example of our arrogance as a species, thinking that we have it all figured out. Completely ignoring the intricate and complex system that is our bodies and all of the various hormones that govern it in favor of a bullshit equation that makes so many incorrect assumptions at every step of the way that it's insane that anyone can think it's even remotely valid.

This is bullshit. Calories in/calories out works. I've been losing a steady 2 lbs per week for the past 3 months doing that. I still eat carbs, sugar and anything else I want as long as I stay under my daily calorie limit. I do walking for exercise to the tune of about 5000 steps per day which is about 40 mins if I do it all at once.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
No single food is vital to long term health. That's a hyperbolic strawman. But it is completely possible to have a healthy diet and still consume some level of carbs. Granted, most people these days eat far too many carbs.

Of course but in the consideration of all macronutrients notice how you state cake as something you went to for carbs, something quick acting as far as energy but unnecessary. In the grand scheme maintaing fat intake levels for proper vitamin absorption and brain functions, and protein for sparing muscle tissue. Carbs in general are the odd one out.

I have a sweet tooth though, and when I return to bulking or maintaining ill definitely eat cake again lol

No, only part of your brain *requires* a very small amount of glycogen for energy. It's quite actually the only part of the body that requires it. Everything else happily and efficiently uses fatty acids and ketones (not to say that they work exactly like glycogen, of course, because they do not). The amount required by the brain is very small, which is precisely why our body can easily manufacture enough of it using a small bit of protein without putting any excess burden on the kidneys. With a ketogenic diet, your body will not try to fill up its glycogen stores in the muscles and such by converting protein to glucose.

Your body does not need to "learn how to use" fat as an energy source. Fat is very much the default energy source. Babies are born in ketosis. I'm not saying carbs are useless, but they are absolutely unessential to longevity, vibrant health, and performance.

Well you are missing all the nutrients you get from the variety of coloured veg but overall it depends on the type of keto diet the most predominately missed ones are magnesium, selenium, and zinc. Many others vitamins can be missed depending upon the choice of keto thus why it is important to consult a professional. The strict medical ones require significant supplementation as you cut out almost all veg apart from a small serving and not getting the dark leafy kind that are loaded with most nutrients.

So keto-adaptation doesn't exist?

Cars, sugar, fat, it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is taking in less calories than you burn. Then you lose fat and weight. It will happen quickly at first, but then slow down as your body adapts to lower caloric consumption. Then after a while longer (6-12 months) it will pick up at a more steady rate. The only way to lose weight is to consume less than you burn. Nothing else matters if we're talking burning fat. If you want to be healthy long-term you should also think about getting enough of certain things (vitamins, etc), but weight loss is independent of that.

Of course but in the consideration of all macronutrients notice how you state cake as something you went to for carbs, something quick acting as far as energy but unnecessary. In the grand scheme maintaing fat intake levels for proper vitamin absorption and brain functions, and protein for sparing muscle tissue. Carbs in general are the odd one out.

I have a sweet tooth though, and when I return to bulking or maintaining ill definitely eat cake again lol

Sure, but carbs are incredibly useful if you are at all active and athletic. Sure you can get away without using them, but when I'm lifting and training for a marathon you better believe I will eat carbs to keep my energy levels up.

Some of the max/min going on here is just too complicated for most people. People shit on calories in/calories out but it does work in general. It's definitely more complicated than that and you can fine tune as you go, but for someone who is in the 300lbs range just trying to get to 200lbs, cal in/cal out is a quantum leap from the current situation.

Some of this feels like a guy came in asking how to ask a girl out and people immediately jumped to how to raise educated kids and invest for retirement.

Cerity

Well you are missing all the nutrients you get from the variety of coloured veg but overall it depends on the type of keto diet the most predominately missed ones are magnesium, selenium, and zinc. Many others vitamins can be missed depending upon the choice of keto thus why it is important to consult a professional. The strict medical ones require significant supplementation as you cut out almost all veg apart from a small serving and not getting the dark leafy kind that are loaded with most nutrients.

It's actually recommended to eat a lot of high fibre veggies if you're on keto, fibre isn't taken into total carb intake at the end of the day due to it passing right through. The only things to really avoid are veggies that grow underground. As for the salts, it is also recommended to take supplements for them if you can't manage them through other foods.

Keto isn't no carb, it's minimising carbs to the point where fat becomes the main fuel source while maintaining a healthy balance. Most people target a strict 20g of carbs/day, but it is still very easy to double to triple that (depends on your body and what type of carbs you're consuming) and manage to stay in ketosis.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Spinach is a great source of magnesium. Can get it from avocado, almonds, fish, etc, too.

You can get selenium from meat and fish and mushrooms, etc. No concerns there.

Zinc is plentiful in beef, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, and plenty of other keto-friendly foods.

I don't believe keto-adaptation is a scientifically classified thing, but it's clear that different people have different reactions when eliminating carbs and draining their glycogen stores to shift to 24/7 ketogenesis. Regardless of that, though, if humans did not have the ability to quickly revert to using fat for energy, we would all die in our sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom