• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bus driver uses two cellphones, steers with his elbows (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramac

NY Times

A bus driver in Rome who was caught using two cellphones and steering with his elbows while driving has been suspended, according to a local official.

Video of the driver talking on one phone and trying to configure his e-mail on another while taking passengers to Rome’s Ciampino Airport was posted online by the Italian newspaper La Repubblica on Wednesday.

Using even one cellphone while driving is against the law in Italy.

The Italian news agency ANSA has posted a photograph of the driver’s two phones — one of which sports a large antenna — in the hands of a police officer, online.

On Thursday, La Repubblica reported that a regional transport commissioner, Francesco Lollobrigida, said that the driver had been “suspended pending disciplinary proceedings.” Mr. Lollobrigida added that the action was “necessary to protect passengers and also the image of the many public transport workers who have impeccable behavior and who are the majority in this region.”

While opposition politicians called for the driver to be fired, the bus company that operates service along the route said in a statement that the driver was employed by a subcontractor “with its own management and board,” so it was unclear whether he had, in fact, done enough to be fired.

If the driver does lose his job, he might consider a move to Nevada in the near future. As my colleague John Markoff reported this week, Google, a pioneer of self-driving cars, “is quietly lobbying for legislation that would make Nevada the first state where they could be legally operated on public roads. And yes, the proposed legislation would include an exemption from the ban on distracted driving to allow occupants to send text messages while sitting behind the wheel.”

Madness

SimleuqiR

A former female friend of mine used to drive with her knees (She had gorgeous legs too), while applying make up. :-/

Those were the scariest 20 minutes of my life while in a car!!!
LLShC.gif
Never accepted rides from her ever again (in a car I mean).

Hari Seldon

SimleuqiR said:
A former female friend of mine used to drive with her knees (She had gorgeous legs too), while applying make up. :-/

LLShC.gif

My old g/f did that also, then I started doing it and it is a pretty good skill to have. You can't do like 90 degree turns but for just keeping straight on a highway it is fine.

joelseph

SimleuqiR said:

LLShC.gif

This is not common?

Rapstah

Hari Seldon said:
My old g/f did that also, then I started doing it and it is a pretty good skill to have. You can't do like 90 degree turns but for just keeping straight on a highway it is fine.
Are you putting on makeup too or what are you doing with your hands?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SimleuqiR said:
Fuck no! I mean, I hope not. I have not encounter another female that does this...at least not when I'm in the car.
It's more common than you think. I also have seen girls do similar things, with either applying makeup or working on their hair as they drive with their knees.

kehs

Banned
aceface said:
I always see school bus drivers talking on phones while they drive by. That's pretty illegal isin't it?

Who's gonna stop them, the cops who are also talking on a phone while using a laptop with a suspect in the back?

Nelo Ice

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
It's more common than you think. I also have seen girls do similar things, with either applying makeup or working on their hair as they drive with their knees.

my cousin and my sisters bf drive with their knees just cuz theyre lazy or say its tiring driving with ur hands lol

Hazanko

Banned
WTF is wrong with you people! Driving with your knees!? WTF? That's dangerous as hell. What happens if you need to brake fast!?

I was going to suggest that the guy get some sort of bluetooth accessory or something but after seeing the video, I'm guessing that wouldn't have helped.

tino

Banned
I used to use my knees to control the wheel with my Honda Civic. I had to take a call with my right hand and hold my cigerette with my left hand. When I need to change gear I had to reach my left hand all the way to the right side to shift the stick. Good times.

Don't try it at home kids.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How would you ever steer with knees (plural) since you have to keep one foot on the gas/brake? Steering with just one knee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom