• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Jersey proposes bill to fine drivers for distracting activities while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh... This is going to suck hard. I can see police abusing this if they need to get their tickets up and something as symbol as changing radio stations will charge you $200.

On the one hand I do not trust drivers to operate their vehicles responsibly, and support this proposal.

On the other hand I do not trust police officers to enforce it responsibly, and so do not support the proposal.

I think the only compromise would be that officers are required to have dash-cam footage... which isn't really a reasonable or realistic requirement.

So... yeah... idk.

It's one of those things that will help some people while hurting others. The ratio, I have no earthly idea.

We'll see if it even does anything I guess. I see people texting and still actually holding phones up to their head to make calls without repercussions. It sucks since it could be anything so you sneezing in your car could get you a fine if the cop wants to be a douche, which is more likely than not in NJ.

Its-Always-Sunny-in-Philadelphia-Reynolds-vs-Reynolds-The-Cereal-Defense-600x336.jpg

Exactly what I thought about when I first read this.

This is all a ploy by Dee to make Dennis at fault and not have to pay

badblue

they passed a distracted driving law here (edmonton, Canada) a year or two ago, nothing changed. But they did classify exactly what constitutes distracted driving though. So I can still sip on a coffee and eat a small burger while driving.

Cell phone use is a no-no, even when stopped at a light, but no one cares, and they still do it.

Leaving discretion up to the police seems a bit foolish... I can see a cop ticketing someone because they sneezed.

TxdoHawk

Anyone who thinks this law is a good idea has never dealt with NJ police. This is a big, wide, bus-sized loophole for officers to pull people over and/or generate revenue.

Edit: Oh, holy cow. I did not mean to necro-bump this. Got search results mixed up with front page. Ack. Abort, abort!

Cagey

Banned
Anyone who thinks this law is a good idea has never dealt with NJ police. This is a big, wide, bus-sized loophole for officers to pull people over and/or generate revenue.

Oh yes.

Commence fundraising along Routes 1, 9, 18, 46, etc.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well, that's quite a bump.

But this law seems utterly stupid. I don't like the idea of making it easier for police to ticket people for things that are entirely open to the police's interpretation. Make a list of specific things you can't do while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom