• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buses set ablaze after Brazil's WC loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several buses have been set on fire and an electronics store looted in Sao Paulo following Brazil's crushing World Cup defeat to Germany, police say.

Police did not give a figure but Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper said on its website that some 20 buses were torched in a garage where unused vehicles were stored on Tuesday (Wednesday AEST).

Another three buses were set ablaze in other parts of the city.

Police did not confirm whether the fires were linked to Brazil's 7-1 defeat to Germany in the semi-final, which knocked the national team out of the World Cup.

"This is under investigation," a state police spokesman told AFP.

Looters ransacked an electronics store in the east of the city.

Buses are often burned by robbers or as a form of protest in Brazil.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/24419266/buses-set-ablaze-after-brazils-wc-loss/

"Police did not confirm whether the fires were linked to Brazil's 7-1 defeat to Germany in the semi-final, which knocked the national team out of the World Cup."

1038.gif

slit

Not being a fan of soccer, I have to ask. Why do I keep seeing stories about how this loss is so devestating that it will set Brazil into soccer obilvion for decades? I mean I'm trying to draw parallels to the sports I like.

Not being a fan of soccer, I have to ask. Why do I keep seeing stories about how this loss is so devestating that it will set Brazil into soccer obilvion for decades? I mean I'm try to draw parallels to the sports I like.

The only real comparison I could make:

Imagine America hosting the Summer Olympics, then winning no medals.

They got HAMMERED. In their own country. While hosting the damn event. Brazil should be focusing on how they got to the semis, but they wanted to win, and their dreams got dashed in the span of like, 5 minutes. Rapid fire freefall.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not being a fan of soccer, I have to ask. Why do I keep seeing stories about how this loss is so devestating that it will set Brazil into soccer obilvion for decades? I mean I'm try to draw parallels to the sports I like.

Imagine the super bowl is being hosted in your team's city. Your team is one of the favorites, and does well and makes it to the AFC/NFC championship game, then in that game (a game that is predicted to be very close) you lose 70-7.

Basically that. Brazil was a favorite, and was one win away from playing for the World Cup in their home country. The game was supposed to be very close, and they got demolished.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Not sure what sports you like, but imagine in the NFL if the Cowboys and the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl by not losing a single game, then the Cowboys crushed the Pats 49-0. Oh, and the Super Bowl is only played every 4 years. And it was in the Pats stadium.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Old buses, completely unrelated as far as we know, burned my some thugs.

That's some headline.

What does Brazil have against buses?

It kind of became a tradition after one year when they had a huge bus driver strike and thugs got angry.

slit

Not sure what sports you like, but imagine in the NFL if the Cowboys and the Patriots made it to the Super Bowl by not losing a single game, then the Cowboys crushed the Pats 49-0. Oh, and the Super Bowl is only played every 4 years. And it was in the Pats stadium.

Yeah but I think what I'm getting at is that even if that happened, it would not have decades long repercussions . Is this just a pride thing or media hyperbole?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yeah but I think what I'm getting at is that even if that happened, it would not have decades long repercussions . Is this just a pride thing or media hyperbole?

It's not the defeat per se that will have repercussions, but the fact that the current style of play and administration in force in the Brazilian squad needs to be scrapped, and something new must arise in its stead. That takes a while.

It won't take us decades to fix this, though, so there's definitely a lot of media hyperbole. As much as we were humiliated, we're still in the semifinals, and... It was just one match.

Ivan 3414

One of my coworkers is from Brazil and this morning she told me she cried all last night, and her grandma called her up, telling her how the family was all singing their national anthem in tears.

I almost wanted to laugh hard. I did chuckle a bit, but so did she. Still, seriously?

glaurung

One of my coworkers is from Brazil and this morning she told me she cried all last night, and her grandma called her up, telling her how the family was all singing their national anthem in tears.

I almost wanted to laugh hard. I did chuckle a bit, but so did she. Still, seriously?
Well, on the other hand, have you seen the Russian olympic hockey team after their humiliating loss?

Nope, all killed or sent to the gulags.

Jarmel

Banned

More like Giants vs Patriots in the first Superbowl only instead of it being a close game, the Giants blew out the Patriots in such a way that it was the worst Patriot loss in their history.

slit

It's not the defeat per se that will have repercussions, but the fact that the current style of play and administration in force in the Brazilian squad needs to be scrapped, and something new must arise in its stead. That takes a while.

It won't take us decades to fix this, though, so there's definitely a lot of media hyperbole. As much as we were humiliated, we're still in the semifinals, and... It was just one match.

Ah I see that makes a bit more sense. Most sports don't seem to take as long to rebound, but then I guess that is to be expected when you teams are city/metro based rather than country based.

feel

Yep, and then add to that the entire world watching and not just one country.

Celegus

No one would care. Not to the point of violence/destruction anyway.

You underestimate the stupidity of people. I don't understand it either, but this is what always happens. There were riots and stuff in Vancouver when they lost in the Stanley Cup Finals, and that was even a close series. I'm disappointed too when a favorite team loses, but there's absolutely no reason for this kind of behavior. Yet it happens again and again and again.

Let's face it, there would have been burning buses and rioting if brazil won the WC too.

Completely true, as sad as that is.

turtle553

And the Pats hadn't lost at home in like 20 years.

figured that I miss the most interesting game of this round due to work related bits...

Did Germany play a real good game, or did Brazil just flounder?

figured that I miss the most interesting game of this round due to work related bits...

A little from Column A, a little from Column B.
It looked like Germany really didn't need to put a lot of effort into it and were never really pressed on Offense or Defense, barring a few moments in the second half. After that 3 goal in 3 minute romp, they put it on cruise control, likely to save their energy for the Final.

Brazil's defense essentially collapsed after the second goal and it became a rout. It's hard to tell if Germany was playing spectacular but they were making passes and putting balls in the net. It's just really hard to tell if Germany was super great because the Brazilian team collapsed so hard. They definitely had the ability to take advantage of the situation

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
And it cost the city billions, while a large segment of the population were below the poverty line.
And the Pats hadn't lost at there home stadium for 12 years.

Showaddy

Shit was already going down before the World Cup and a glorious victory on home soil was supposed to distract the masses. This is going to get messy.

I'd say what a bunch of pathetic losers BUT I had the same reaction to the Mass Effect 3 ending so.... it's all even I guess...

Same goes for that time a character was brutally killed on your favorite television show

if only Brazilians could concentrate their efforts and attention on fixing their domestic problems of inequality, poverty, corruption and shit like that.

Sao Paolo is one of the biggest cities in the world with the shittiest public transit system

Brazil, fix your important shit first

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shit was already going down before the World Cup and a glorious victory on home soil was supposed to distract the masses. This is going to get messy.

Agree. Combination of expenditure, corruption, poverty and humiliation probably isn't great. Once the press starts examining the costs, it's gonna get ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom