• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buses set ablaze after Brazil's WC loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

if only Brazilians could concentrate their efforts and attention on fixing their domestic problems of inequality, poverty, corruption and shit like that.

Sao Paolo is one of the biggest cities in the world with the shittiest public transit system

Brazil, fix your important shit first

The same (or worst) could be said for the USA. We waste time and billions on unimportant crap.

so what is the current state of the World Cup issues that had many threads about FIFA corruption and sponsors demanding investigations, housing issues, stadium issues and all that jazz?

The same (or worst) could be said for the USA. We waste time and billions on unimportant crap.

true but Brazilians have tendency to mask their problems and put on a fake smile pretending that everyone is happy and with the facade of life being a party when in reality Brazil is massively fucked up.

Yeah the US has its problems but Brazil's are exponational worse

Instro

Not being a fan of soccer, I have to ask. Why do I keep seeing stories about how this loss is so devestating that it will set Brazil into soccer obilvion for decades? I mean I'm try to draw parallels to the sports I like.

Club/team pride is certainly a completely different beast compared to national pride. There are no real similarities to this outside of soccer as the US either doesn't care about the international play of its athletes or its a sport that doesn't have any meaningful international competition. Its devastating in the sense that people will remember it for generations. The soccer team itself can and will be fixed as so much talent comes out from the country on a regular basis. The world cup is only held every 4 years and its very rare to be the host, like Brazil last hosted it 60 years ago. Winning a world cup at home is the ultimate sports dream, and many Brazilians will not see another world cup at home in their lifetime. Keep in mind also that the US has multiple major sports that are important to us. Of course this also comes on the back of an already unhappy population dealing with multiple socioeconomic issues.

Metra

Losing by 7x1 to Germany does not affect me (and, probably, most brazilians) in any way. What I worry about, however, is people taking advantage of this situation to escalate things and to endorse stereotypes.

JaggedSac

The only real comparison I could make:

Imagine America hosting the Summer Olympics, then winning no medals.

They got HAMMERED. In their own country. While hosting the damn event. Brazil should be focusing on how they got to the semis, but they wanted to win, and their dreams got dashed in the span of like, 5 minutes. Rapid fire freefall.

Weren't like 3 of their top players out?

JDSN

Banned
Im glad certain people got the riot they almost wished for and was denied when Zimmerman walked. Disgusting narrative, I cant wait to read all the "thugs" and "animals" comments.

true but Brazilians have tendency to mask their problems and put on a fake smile pretending that everyone is happy and with the facade of life being a party when in reality Brazil is massively fucked up.

Christ, what are you talking about?

Metra

What misinformation is being spread?
I'm genuinely curious.
On GAF? Let's see...

You can't spell Brazil, or embarrassing, without an r.

What does Brazil have against buses?

Jingoism yay!

Jesus Soccer is serious business over there, isn't it?

One of my coworkers is from Brazil and this morning she told me she cried all last night, and her grandma called her up, telling her how the family was all singing their national anthem in tears.

I almost wanted to laugh hard. I did chuckle a bit, but so did she. Still, seriously?

Let's face it, there would have been burning buses and rioting if brazil won the WC too.

And my personal favorite:
xxltu6b8.gif

.GqueB.

Banned
On GAF? Let's see...

I'm not sure you know what "misinformation" means. The last one is a factually correct gif. Only one that comes close, I guess, is gutter_trash. But I don't know much about Brazil and their team so I can't say for sure.

Metra

I'm not sure you know what "misinformation" means. The last one is a factually correct gif. Only one that comes close, I guess, is gutter_trash. But I don't know much about Brazil and their team so I can't say for sure.
I don't know what I can tell you. Seriously.

Mesousa

Banned

Not really. Both are pretty much the same once you get outside big cities. Third world poor nations full of exploited people.

Imagine the super bowl is being hosted in your team's city. Your team is one of the favorites, and does well and makes it to the AFC/NFC championship game, then in that game (a game that is predicted to be very close) you lose 70-7.

Basically that. Brazil was a favorite, and was one win away from playing for the World Cup in their home country. The game was supposed to be very close, and they got demolished.

In terms of score it is probably worse then that. Its more like 105-7 with them being down 49-0 in the first quarter. THATS the kind of scale we are talking here....

.GqueB.

Banned
I don't know what I can tell you. Seriously.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It's a gif where the Gorilla (Brazil) is reaching for a banana (the world cup trophy), but is eaten by a shark (Germany) and pulled under water thus stopping him from getting said banana (they lost the game really badly).

Where's the "misinformation"? Are you trying to say that people are making this situation worse with their jokes thus spreading hate? That I get. Misinformation is just a really specific word that I'm not sure applies here.

Dabanton

And while the people in power in Brazil suddenly 'realise' their folly. FIFA execs jump onto their private jets laughing with a nice suntan and their coffers stuffed full of tax free cash.

Looking forward to the next lot of suckers.

Buzzati

Banned
And while the people in power in Brazil suddenly 'realise' their folly. FIFA execs jump onto their private jets laughing with a nice suntan and their coffers stuffed full of tax free cash.

Looking forward to the next lot of suckers.

The people in power in Brazil have nothing to worry about.

Metra

How is what I said misinformation? Brazil lost in embarrassing fashion to Germany. It's one of, if not the worst, losses in sports history. That is a fact.

I was mainly just making fun of the fact that you forget an 'r' in embarrassing.
Right...
Anyway, "misinformation" is an euphemism in this context. You quoted an user that was not talking about football. What you said can be interpreted in many ways. Don't act so surprised. As I've said before, people are taking advantage of the situation to escalate things. Brazil national football team does not equal Brazil, the country. You can bash the brazilian national squad as much as you like, but don't expect me to shut up and/or play dumb before "double-edged" comments.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It's a gif where the Gorilla (Brazil) is reaching for a banana (the world cup trophy), but is eaten by a shark (Germany) and pulled under water thus stopping him from getting said banana (they lost the game really badly).

Where's the "misinformation"? Are you trying to say that people are making this situation worse with their jokes thus spreading hate? That I get. Misinformation is just a really specific word that I'm not sure applies here.
You are correct. It's not just misinformation, it's worse. Also, if you think there's nothing wrong (id est., if you think it's just "tongue-in-cheek" or sarcasm) with comparing brazilians to monkeys reaching bananas in trees... there isn't much I could tell you.

.GqueB.

Banned
You are correct. It's not just misinformation, it's worse. Also, if you think there's nothing wrong (id est., if you think it's just "tongue-in-cheek" or sarcasm) with comparing brazilians to monkeys reaching bananas in trees... there isn't much I could tell you.

I think you are reaching but I see what you're saying. I don't think that was the intent really.

Metra

I think you are reaching but I see what you're saying. I don't think that was the intent really.
*sigh*
I should also make a "mea culpa" here. What you're saying is also a possibility. Things like possible racists "actions/attitudes" tends to get in my nerves and I get carried away easily. It's probably best for me to stay out of threads/discussions like this one.

Right...
Anyway, "misinformation" is an euphemism in this context. You quoted an user that was not talking about football. What you said can be interpreted in many ways. Don't act so surprised. As I've said before, people are taking advantage of the situation to escalate things. Brazil national football team does not equal Brazil, the country. You can bash the brazilian national squad as much as you like, but don't expect me to shut up and/or play dumb before "double-edged" comments.

We're in a thread about football/soccer and I'm clearly talking about the loss of team Brazil. I honestly don't know anything about Brazil other than how important soccer is to the country and how badly they were beaten by Germany.

You and the person who quoted me read into something that wasn't there.

Philippo

My god, anyone thinking it's really related to the WC is clearly blind.
Of there must have been some public protests, but i guess people unhappy about unrelated things (or those protesting against the WC) or probably criminals took advantage of the situation to spread chaos.
It's sad because now everyone here thinks it's only related to yesterday's match and this undermines Brazil's reputation.

After the shit FIFA's pulled on them, I'd be very unsatisfied with the state of the nation. Brazil had to bear the whole burden of hosting this WC, while some French assholes came in to legitimize things. Shit happens all the time, Brazil losing to Germany's icing on the shit pie.

Metra

People in the world cup thread said there wouldn't be any rioting though.

So far (and as far as I know), there isn't any "riot" related to the defeat in the world cup. We had a couple of fist fights between "fans" (right after the match), and a group of criminals that burned buses. And that's it.

Brazilians love their (our) national team, and Brazil still is - despite our latest results - the most successful nation in the history of international football. However, we are not a "pátria de chuteiras", like many people think/say (including some brazilians and part of our local press). In fact, a lot of european countries, Argentina, Mexico and even the US (that supposedly "doesn't care" about soccer/football) surpasses Brazil, regarding investments and "general interest" in the sport.
Average attendances of European football clubs
Average home attendances in non-European club football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom