• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bush won't push for gay marriage amendment in second term

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAAAT?
WASHINGTON (AFP) - President George W. Bush (news - web sites) will not actively seek to ban gay marriage in the United States during his second term in office, a stance certain to anger the social conservatives who helped re-elect him.

The Washington Post asked Bush if he would aggressively lobby senators during his second term in office to pass an amendment outlawing marriage in all 50 states.

"I do believe it's necessary," Bush said Sunday. But he went on to imply that pursuing it in the US Senate, which must approve a constitutional amendment by 67 of its 100 votes, would be futile.

Many Senators think the Defense of Marriage Act, an existing law that allows states not to recognize gay marriages enacted in other states, is sufficient, according to Bush.

"The point is, is that Senators have made it clear that so long as DOMA is deemed constitutional, nothing will happen. I'd take that admonition seriously," Bush told the Post.

Bush voiced active support for a gay marriage ban during the 2004 presidential camaign, whipping up support from social conservatives including Evangelical Christians who turned out in droves to re-elect him.

Immediately after his election victory his top political strategist said the president would "absolutely" continue his fight on the politically and socially divisive issue.

"Without the protection of that amendment, we are at the mercy of activist federal judges or activist state judges who could, without the involvement of the people, determine ... that marriage no longer consists of a union between a man and a woman," Karl Rove told Fox News.

Can't wait to see the war between the fundies and the White House. It's about time they realized that Bush's stance on this issue was just posturing to win votes.

teiresias

Obviously he won't have to worry about outlawing gay marriage after all us homosexuals are locked up in the concentration camps.

xsarien

daedsiluap
This is a win/win for every liberal in the world. Bush concedes - kind of - that he was wrong in thinking this would pass, and the self-appointed religious psychos get stabbed in the back AND the heart.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
xsarien said:
This is a win/win for every liberal in the world. Bush concedes - kind of - that he was wrong in thinking this would pass, and the self-appointed religious psychos get stabbed in the back AND the heart.
Bush won the election and no one is going to notice that he won't push for the ban on gay marriage.

Win/win for the conservatives.

android

Theoretical Magician
He got the religious rights vote. what more does he need from them. Fools thinking he owed you something.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Lathentar said:
Bush won the election and no one is going to notice that he won't push for the ban on gay marriage.

Win/win for the conservatives.

I have no issue with traditional conservatives. The ones that like fiscal responsibility, smaller government, generally try not to futz too much with the Constitution, and aren't so patently open to mixing religion and politics.

Bush doesn't fit that mold, he's a Neocon(servative), which isn't some derogatory term, but a perfectly legitimate school of thought. Ask Google if you don't believe me. But now that he's in a second term, he may be realizing that his legacy is going to matter, and his 1st term's track record doesn't reflect too kindly on him.

olimario

Banned
I think he had a moral conviction and decided to start treating homosexuals as equals. The religious right needs to stop condemning and needs to realize that sin will occur regardless and that condemning it will just cause it to become more rampant.

xsarien

daedsiluap
olimario said:
The religious right needs to stop condemning and needs to realize that sin will occur regardless and that condemning it will just cause it to become more rampant.

...No, Oli. Condemning sin won't make it more rampant. Murder, crime, lust, greed, the whole marshmallow rainbow of sins happen simply because of the human condition. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's disgusting that people consider homosexuality a sin. A good friend of mine is gay, and it kills me everytime this shit gets played out in the news. If the worst thing he does in life is love another dude, then I think he'll be all right if there is a God judging every one of us. Certainly more deserving of entrance to Heaven than those who call him a sinner.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
savvy move by Bush/Rove. threaten the country with hordes of homosexual marriages, get re-elected, then pull back the gay-nation image and say that the problem is already solved.

Jeb Bush is going to make an awesome president in 2008...

xsarien

daedsiluap
scorcho said:
Jeb Bush is going to make an awesome president in 2008...

Bush screwed the social conservatives and Evangelicals, they won't come out in similar numbers for his brother, he's not nearly as right-leaning as Dubya.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
xsarien said:
Bush screwed the social conservatives and Evangelicals, they won't come out in similar numbers for his brother, he's not nearly as right-leaning as Dubya.
But you'll get a lot more people from the left and the center. No more "Anyone but Bush" voting. Anyways, Jeb won't be running in 2008. George P. Bush in 2012!

KiNeSiS

Banned
teiresias said:
Obviously he won't have to worry about outlawing gay marriage after all us homosexuals are locked up in the concentration camps.

Actually he's setting up castration camps...

ToxicAdam

Weren't all gays supposed to be rounded up and shipped to Canada by now? Why are some of you yonguer guys posting? You were supposed to drafted and sent to Iraq also.

::I drink Democratic kool-aid:::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom