• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bushco whitehouse pays pundit 250k to pimp education plan on airwaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
rofl

armstrong williams... what an idiot. what's this say about the media in general? and the white house, jesus. you have to pay someone to promote your no child left behing plan to the public?

let's take a stab at who else might be receiving payments from bushco:

o'reilly
hannity
limbaugh

:lol :lol

just totally ridiculous. i'll get the link, but it's all over the news.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-01-06-williams-whitehouse_x.htm

Education Dept. paid commentator to promote lawBy Greg Toppo,

USA TODAY

Seeking to build support among black families for its education reform law, the Bush administration paid a prominent black pundit $240,000 to promote the law on his nationally syndicated television show and to urge other black journalists to do the same.Williams on being paid to boost NCLB: "I wanted to do it because it's something I believe in."
AP
The campaign, part of an effort to promote No Child Left Behind (NCLB), required commentator Armstrong Williams "to regularly comment on NCLB during the course of his broadcasts," and to interview Education Secretary Rod Paige for TV and radio spots that aired during the show in 2004.
Williams said Thursday he understands that critics could find the arrangement unethical, but "I wanted to do it because it's something I believe in."
The top Democrat on the House Education Committee, Rep. George Miller of California, called the contract "a very questionable use of taxpayers' money" that is "probably illegal." He said he will ask his Republican counterpart to join him in requesting an investigation.
The contract, detailed in documents obtained by USA TODAY through a Freedom of Information Act request, also shows that the Education Department, through the Ketchum public relations firm, arranged with Williams to use contacts with America's Black Forum, a group of black broadcast journalists, "to encourage the producers to periodically address" NCLB. He persuaded radio and TV personality Steve Harvey to invite Paige onto his show twice. Harvey's manager, Rushion McDonald, confirmed the appearances.
Williams said he does not recall disclosing the contract to audiences on the air but told colleagues about it when urging them to promote NCLB.
"I respect Mr. Williams' statement that this is something he believes in," said Bob Steele, a media ethics expert at The Poynter Institute for Media Studies. "But I would suggest that his commitment to that belief is best exercised through his excellent professional work rather than through contractual obligations with outsiders who are, quite clearly, trying to influence content."
The contract may be illegal "because Congress has prohibited propaganda," or any sort of lobbying for programs funded by the government, said Melanie Sloan of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. "And it's propaganda."
White House spokesman Trent Duffy said he couldn't comment because the White House is not involved in departments' contracts.
Ketchum referred questions to the Education Department, whose spokesman, John Gibbons, said the contract followed standard government procedures. He said there are no plans to continue with "similar outreach."
Williams' contract was part of a $1 million deal with Ketchum that produced "video news releases" designed to look like news reports. The Bush administration used similar releases last year to promote its Medicare prescription drug plan, prompting a scolding from the Government Accountability Office, which called them an illegal use of taxpayers' dollars.
Williams, 45, a former aide to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, is one of the top black conservative voices in the nation. He hosts The Right Side on TV and radio, and writes op-ed pieces for newspapers, including USA TODAY, while running a public relations firm, Graham Williams Group.

MIMIC

Banned
My local radio station in Cleveland (107.9) frequently has Armstrong Williams on the air to "discuss" certain political events.

People always call-in and say he's an Uncle Tom. :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Oh yeah...I forgot. Isn't that illegal?

And how the fuck is the White House's spokesman going to say that the White House is not involved in departments' contracts when this is Bush's fucking agenda??

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I saw some responses on CNN that basically amounted to the White House saying that this was the Dept. of Education's fault, and that they had nothing to do with it. How quickly they'd take credit for anything good that came out of any of the administrative agencies though.

You guys are tools.

This is just an effort by the Bush administration to create new markets. Bush wasn't lying when he said he has been creating new jobs.

$240k? Jesus fucking christ I will sign up for you Mr. Bush. For a low price of $80,000/year, I can be a viral marketer or somesuch for your plans. I will push and defend your agenda on any and all boards I frequent.

Wait... that means Ripclawe and co.... sunofabitch!!!

MIMIC said:
Oh yeah...I forgot. Isn't that illegal?

And how the fuck is the White House's spokesman going to say that the White House is not involved in departments' contracts when this is Bush's fucking agenda??

1. They should have at least told him to give a disclaimer
2. If they are truly educating the audience, then they should not just focus on the "positives" NCLB and also mention what has gone wrong.

Pimpwerx

Um, this is wrong on many levels. Armstrong should be ashamed of himself since NCLB is gonna end up raping black schools first. At least "urban" schools, which are predominantly black. It's also disgusting that taxpayer money is being used to advertise administration policies like this. If NCLB was so good, it should be able to stand on its own merits, and federal money shouldn't be used to advertise that. What next, paying pundits to promote tax cuts? Federal money should not be used in this way IMO. Oh well, what else is new? :? PEACE.

so much news on Williams has appeared recently :D

not only has he settled a sexual harassment suit, he claims that this practice mentioned in the OP's post "happens all the time".

Just last month, in an article discussing Kweisi Mfume’s resignation from the nation’s largest civil rights lobby, Williams said the NAACP was “foundering amidst charges of sexual harassment and economic improprieties” when Mfume was hired.

Mfume, he asserted, righted the ship–cleaning up the organization’s debt and concurrently issuing overtures to Republicans. But their veteran leader, Julian Bond, who in Williams’ piece was equated with an organization plagued by harassment, economic scandal and stridently anti-Bush messages–forced him out.

Williams, RAW STORY has discovered, settled accounts for the same misdeeds himself.

In 1997, Williams was sued in a massive $200,000 50-charge sexual harassment suit for repeatedly kissing his once male trainer Stephen Gregory who he had promoted repeatedly into his talk-show staff. Gregory claimed Williams had also grabbed his buttocks and genitals and climbed into bed with him on business trips. After rebuffing him, Gregory alleged, the pundit retaliated by reducing his pay and subsequently firing him.

At the time, the Williams had just teased an explosive quote from then-Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott who said that gays should be treated like those who have a problem with “alcohol … or sex addiction … or kleptomaniacs.”

Williams roundly supported this view.

http://www.bluelemur.com/index.php?p=536

I asked if Williams had yet been conducted by the inspector general at the Education Department, the agency that had awarded the contract that supplied him $241,000 for promoting the NCLB measure within the African-American community. Representative George Miller, the ranking Democrat on the education committee, and other House Democrats had already called for an investigation. Why should the IG contact me? Williams replied, noting he had been merely a subcontractor. Any thorough investigation, I remarked, would include questioning the subcontractor. He scratched his head. "Funny," he said. "I thought this [contract] was a blessing at the time."

And then Williams violated a PR rule: he got off-point. "This happens all the time," he told me. "There are others." Really? I said. Other conservative commentators accept money from the Bush administration? I asked Williams for names. "I'm not going to defend myself that way," he said. The issue right now, he explained, was his own mistake. Well, I said, what if I call you up in a few weeks, after this blows over, and then ask you? No, he said.
http://www.thenation.com/capitalgames/index.mhtml?bid=3&pid=2114

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
MIMIC said:
FCC orders probe of Williams-Bush deal

This administration has been probed more than Cartman's ass.

And, in a mirror of other current events, they'll probably find some very low level functionary, preferably the lowest of the low, and despite their claims that they were only following orders, they'll be disciplined as much as possible, in as public a nature as possible.

In 1997, Williams was sued in a massive $200,000 50-charge sexual harassment suit for repeatedly kissing his once male trainer Stephen Gregory who he had promoted repeatedly into his talk-show staff. Gregory claimed Williams had also grabbed his buttocks and genitals and climbed into bed with him on business trips. After rebuffing him, Gregory alleged, the pundit retaliated by reducing his pay and subsequently firing him.

At the time, the Williams had just teased an explosive quote from then-Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott who said that gays should be treated like those who have a problem with “alcohol … or sex addiction … or kleptomaniacs.”

Williams roundly supported this view.
so his trainer isn't male anymore? and how is it that he "supported this view" while he was trying to get some from his trainer? Is hypocrisy a requirement for politics or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom