• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business Insider: Microsoft is making the right moves to fix its mistakes and topple the PlayStation with its next game console

• When Microsoft introduced the Xbox One in 2013, it was still the industry standard-bearer in video game consoles with the Xbox 360.
  • In the course of a few months, Microsoft torpedoed its goodwill with its most dedicated fans, while Sony repeatedly dunked on Microsoft with the introduction of the PlayStation 4.
  • But Microsoft has been repositioning its Xbox business in smart ways, introducing programs that people love and paving the way for a future that sounds promising.
  • Meanwhile, Sony has made several easily avoidable mistakes.

Soon after, Microsoft's then-Xbox leader Don Mattrick took to the company's Xbox blog to roll back major features of the Xbox One that people were upset about. One month later, Mattrick was out at Microsoft, quickly replaced by longtime Xbox exec Marc Whitten. Another nine months later, and Microsoft would replace Whitten with current Xbox leader Phil Spencer.

And in the years since, under Spencer, Microsoft's Xbox group has changed course.

As a result of a variety of initiatives, the Xbox One has become a more appealing platform. And as the current gaming generation draws to a close across the next few years, the changes reflect Microsoft smartly setting itself up for the next generation of gaming:

1. Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass, the Netflix-like subscription service for gaming, is a great reason to buy an Xbox One.

For $10/month, Xbox Game Pass offers access to over 100 games. That includes every first-party game that Microsoft makes, loads of indies, and even some heavy-hitters from third-party publishers like Bethesda Softworks.

Launched in 2017, the service is one of gaming's best deals.

Instead of streaming the games, a la Netflix, you download each game to your Xbox console. As long as you're paying for Game Pass, you keep all the games you download.

Best of all, any new games that Microsoft publishes are included with Game Pass.

When "Crackdown 3" arrives in February, you could drop $10 on a Game Pass subscription to download and play the game — a whopping $50 savings over the normal $60 price of a new game. Microsoft's betting that you'll like the arrangement so much that you'll keep paying for the service every month, like Netflix.

2. Project XCloud, Microsoft's video game streaming service — what Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella recently referred to by the shorthand "Netflix for games" — is on the horizon.

With "Project xCloud," Microsoft is creating its own game streaming service. No downloads, and no waiting — high-quality, blockbuster video games streamed directly to whatever device you're using. Where Xbox Game Pass is similar to Netflix, XCloud is a direct analog: A subscription-based streaming service for an entertainment medium.

In 2019, Microsoft is planning public tests of Project XCloud.

The company demonstrated its service in a video released in October 2018:

3. Backwards compatibility sets an important precedent.
First with Xbox 360 games, then original Xbox games, Microsoft added backwards compatibility to the Xbox One. No re-buying games, even — if you owned it digitally in the past on a previous console, now you own it on Xbox One. If you have it on disc, simply put the disc into your console.

It's an ambitious, precedent-setting statement about what Microsoft is trying to achieve with Xbox, and it directly ties into several other initiatives at Xbox. The concept of Xbox Play Anywhere, for instance — where you buy a game on either Xbox or Windows 10, and you own it both places. Or Microsoft's push into cross-platform gaming with "Minecraft," which was the first major game to offer players on competing game platforms the option to play together.

All of these initiatives are part of the same narrative Microsoft is telling about Xbox: Your digital account from Xbox is an access key to a game library that crosses platforms and generations. Games are games, period.

4. Microsoft started the movement toward cross-platform play with "Minecraft," while Sony refused to budge — until it couldn't refuse any more.

Microsoft's been banging the drum for interoperability between competing game consoles for a while now. Ever since announcingthe "Better Together" update for "Minecraft," which allowed players on all "Minecraft" platforms to play the game together, the entire game industry has begun moving toward cross-platform multiplayer.

It makes a lot of logical sense if you think about it: Games like "Call of Duty," "Overwatch," and "Minecraft" are functionally identical across platforms. Why shouldn't I be able to play "Overwatch" on Xbox One with my friend on PlayStation 4?

The reason, of course, is business.

Sony's in the lead by a large margin, and has no real incentive — financially — to work with Microsoft on getting cross-platform play working between PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. But that all changed with "Fortnite," and Microsoft ended up looking like the good guys for leading the charge.

As of September 2018, after months of wishy-washy responses to players and game makers demanding cross-platform support, Sony now officially allows "Fortnite" players on PlayStation 4 to play with people on Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac. Moreover, if you buy stuff in "Fortnite" on PlayStation 4, it will now show up on other platforms (so-called "cross-commerce" support).

5. Microsoft is being straightforward about the next generation of Xbox consoles, and speaking directly to gaming's most-dedicated fans.

"Everybody knows what's happening," Microsoft Xbox lead Phil Spencer told Giant Bomb in a June 2018 podcast interview, referring to Sony and Microsoft making new consoles. "It's this kind of unsaid thing of like, 'Well, they shipped Xbox One X. They didn't lay off their whole hardware team. What do you think they're doing?'"

It's that kind of direct, no-nonsense talk, in a candid interview with a respected member of the video game industry, that people like so much about Spencer. Rarely are video game executives quite so candid or as openly passionate as Spencer, which has helped Xbox regain some semblance of trust among gaming's most passionate fans.

"It's not tomorrow," he said, in reference to next-generation Xbox consoles, "But I didn't want people to think that we're walking away from that part of the brand and the business, because it's really important to us," Spencer said.

Rumors point to Microsoft creating two new consoles that coexist within the same generation: a smaller, less expensive Xbox potentially focused on streaming video games, and a larger, more traditional, more expensive Xbox that could power games locally (and stream them).

I agree with a lot in the article. I do believe Sony has mostly made mistakes that are easy to avoid and result in nothing more than stubbornness. Microsoft has taken advantage of that to improve their image. Now they have all the software services in place, they have the studios, they have the infrastructure, So Microsoft as of now doesn't need to do much more to get ready for next gen. Software and Hardware is all they need to focus on as they have already set the ground work.

With that said, MS needs to make sure some of their ideas end up working well and not spending too much time on idea that don't produce many results, a big issue that had effected the company this gen. They need to make sure they stay focused and optimize for efficiency. They can also use this E3 to really hit a home run, so I hope they have a very good conference prepared. Same for Gamecom.

Dabaus

Banned
Again, when it comes to next gen in regards to Microsoft it is only spoken about fantastical and hyperbolic terms. Topple, dominate, 2 billion potential customer base, etc. Microsoft has yet to topple or dominate anything in the games industry and the reasons listed wont change anything. Yes they will do better than they did this go around but expectations and reality are 2 different things. And why is Nintendo never considered a competitor?

Again, when it comes to next gen in regards to Microsoft it is only spoken about fantastical and hyperbolic terms. Topple, dominate, 2 billion potential customer base, etc. Microsoft has yet to topple or dominate anything in the games industry and the reasons listed wont change anything. Yes they will do better than they did this go around but expectations and reality are 2 different things. And why is Nintendo never considered a competitor?

The Wii U is dead why would they talk about Nintendo this gen? Switch is the successor.

Most articles aren't going to bring up Nintendo outside the fanboy ones that pretend the Wii U never happened and that the Switch is somehow in first place.

I hope you're making good money for these advertisements.

1. Sorry, but business models don't drive the success of a console. Games do.

2. Project XCloud will definitely cater to existing Xbox fans. It remains to be seen if it can drive console sales since there is no indication that a game-streaming service will do that (see: PS Now).

3. Backwards compatibility hasn't mattered since the PS2. It's a nice way to lock people into the existing ecosystem, not much else.

4. The PS2 had cross-play. Similar to backwards compatibility, it's a nice feature but since its sole purpose is to de-emphasize the console you're playing on, why would this drive people to the Xbox brand, specifically? If anything, it would allow gamers to avoid Xbox all the more easily.

5. All this amounts to is their PR sounds nice. Hardly worth praising Microsoft for their nice PR.

Three

• When Microsoft introduced the Xbox One in 2013, it was still the industry standard-bearer in video game consoles with the Xbox 360.
  • In the course of a few months, Microsoft torpedoed its goodwill with its most dedicated fans, while Sony repeatedly dunked on Microsoft with the introduction of the PlayStation 4.
  • But Microsoft has been repositioning its Xbox business in smart ways, introducing programs that people love and paving the way for a future that sounds promising.
  • Meanwhile, Sony has made several easily avoidable mistakes.

Soon after, Microsoft's then-Xbox leader Don Mattrick took to the company's Xbox blog to roll back major features of the Xbox One that people were upset about. One month later, Mattrick was out at Microsoft, quickly replaced by longtime Xbox exec Marc Whitten. Another nine months later, and Microsoft would replace Whitten with current Xbox leader Phil Spencer.

And in the years since, under Spencer, Microsoft's Xbox group has changed course.

As a result of a variety of initiatives, the Xbox One has become a more appealing platform. And as the current gaming generation draws to a close across the next few years, the changes reflect Microsoft smartly setting itself up for the next generation of gaming:

1. Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass, the Netflix-like subscription service for gaming, is a great reason to buy an Xbox One.

For $10/month, Xbox Game Pass offers access to over 100 games. That includes every first-party game that Microsoft makes, loads of indies, and even some heavy-hitters from third-party publishers like Bethesda Softworks.

Launched in 2017, the service is one of gaming's best deals.

Instead of streaming the games, a la Netflix, you download each game to your Xbox console. As long as you're paying for Game Pass, you keep all the games you download.

Best of all, any new games that Microsoft publishes are included with Game Pass.

When "Crackdown 3" arrives in February, you could drop $10 on a Game Pass subscription to download and play the game — a whopping $50 savings over the normal $60 price of a new game. Microsoft's betting that you'll like the arrangement so much that you'll keep paying for the service every month, like Netflix.

2. Project XCloud, Microsoft's video game streaming service — what Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella recently referred to by the shorthand "Netflix for games" — is on the horizon.

With "Project xCloud," Microsoft is creating its own game streaming service. No downloads, and no waiting — high-quality, blockbuster video games streamed directly to whatever device you're using. Where Xbox Game Pass is similar to Netflix, XCloud is a direct analog: A subscription-based streaming service for an entertainment medium.

In 2019, Microsoft is planning public tests of Project XCloud.

The company demonstrated its service in a video released in October 2018:

3. Backwards compatibility sets an important precedent.
First with Xbox 360 games, then original Xbox games, Microsoft added backwards compatibility to the Xbox One. No re-buying games, even — if you owned it digitally in the past on a previous console, now you own it on Xbox One. If you have it on disc, simply put the disc into your console.

It's an ambitious, precedent-setting statement about what Microsoft is trying to achieve with Xbox, and it directly ties into several other initiatives at Xbox. The concept of Xbox Play Anywhere, for instance — where you buy a game on either Xbox or Windows 10, and you own it both places. Or Microsoft's push into cross-platform gaming with "Minecraft," which was the first major game to offer players on competing game platforms the option to play together.

All of these initiatives are part of the same narrative Microsoft is telling about Xbox: Your digital account from Xbox is an access key to a game library that crosses platforms and generations. Games are games, period.

4. Microsoft started the movement toward cross-platform play with "Minecraft," while Sony refused to budge — until it couldn't refuse any more.

Microsoft's been banging the drum for interoperability between competing game consoles for a while now. Ever since announcingthe "Better Together" update for "Minecraft," which allowed players on all "Minecraft" platforms to play the game together, the entire game industry has begun moving toward cross-platform multiplayer.

It makes a lot of logical sense if you think about it: Games like "Call of Duty," "Overwatch," and "Minecraft" are functionally identical across platforms. Why shouldn't I be able to play "Overwatch" on Xbox One with my friend on PlayStation 4?

The reason, of course, is business.

Sony's in the lead by a large margin, and has no real incentive — financially — to work with Microsoft on getting cross-platform play working between PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. But that all changed with "Fortnite," and Microsoft ended up looking like the good guys for leading the charge.

As of September 2018, after months of wishy-washy responses to players and game makers demanding cross-platform support, Sony now officially allows "Fortnite" players on PlayStation 4 to play with people on Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac. Moreover, if you buy stuff in "Fortnite" on PlayStation 4, it will now show up on other platforms (so-called "cross-commerce" support).

5. Microsoft is being straightforward about the next generation of Xbox consoles, and speaking directly to gaming's most-dedicated fans.

"Everybody knows what's happening," Microsoft Xbox lead Phil Spencer told Giant Bomb in a June 2018 podcast interview, referring to Sony and Microsoft making new consoles. "It's this kind of unsaid thing of like, 'Well, they shipped Xbox One X. They didn't lay off their whole hardware team. What do you think they're doing?'"

It's that kind of direct, no-nonsense talk, in a candid interview with a respected member of the video game industry, that people like so much about Spencer. Rarely are video game executives quite so candid or as openly passionate as Spencer, which has helped Xbox regain some semblance of trust among gaming's most passionate fans.

"It's not tomorrow," he said, in reference to next-generation Xbox consoles, "But I didn't want people to think that we're walking away from that part of the brand and the business, because it's really important to us," Spencer said.

Rumors point to Microsoft creating two new consoles that coexist within the same generation: a smaller, less expensive Xbox potentially focused on streaming video games, and a larger, more traditional, more expensive Xbox that could power games locally (and stream them).

Where? It's not there for me

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Once again, where are these "several easily avoidable mistakes" that Sony has allegedly made?

The cross-play thing, and... and?

Fact is Sony have continued to extend their lead further away in terms of install-base, are doing extremely well with sales of boxed and digital product, whilst successfully pursuing forward thinking ventures like game streaming and virtual reality.

All this without the incessant ballyhooing that usually accompanies such success.

Pejo

I'm not going to keep talking about these articles for the unearned hyperbole praise campaign that's going on with Microsoft lately, so I'll talk about the content of the article.

They have a few good points.
-Backwards compatibility is nice, should be standard going forward for all consoles. This is one of my favorite things about playing on PC.
-Cross platform play is fine I guess, but MS would have never ever championed it if they led this generation. There's no real advantage to the market leader to do this, other than pressure from consumers. Personally I don't care about it, but I'm glad for people that think it's important
-Netflix of gaming this sounds really cool honestly, but I would likely never buy into it because...
-Game Pass, I will always be firmly an opponent of this type of thing. You can argue great value there, but I personally place a great deal of importance on game ownership, playing retro games, and game preservation. Taking ownership out of the hands of the consumer is ultimately terrible for game enthusiasts and perfect for casual gamers (that elusive white whale that all of these companies love to target). I'm not saying you're wrong for liking it, but you're enabling the software as a service future where you own nothing and companies will dictate to you how long you will be able to play a game.
-Transparency This is one thing that I think Microsoft is really doing well. Getting their fanbase pumped up and excited about the next gen, buying those devs (cautiously optimistic about this, doesn't mean we'll get great games, but I hope so), and just general engagement. This should be the standard of how game companies deal with fans.

So yea, they're doing some good things, some bad (in my eyes) things, and none of it has actually come to bear any fruit YET.

haxan7

Banned
I'm honestly bored with Sony at this point and plan to go back to Xbox next gen.

Microsoft always had the better consoles, but Sony killed it with the exclusives this time around.

I'm actually feeling excited to buy the next Microsoft console. Can't really say the same about PS5. For me, whether I buy PS5 or not depends on (1) potential exclusives and (2) the quality of the built-in PSVR and if there are any great VR titles. Of course, point 2 won't really be relevant if MS builds VR into their console as well.

Dabaus

Banned
Microsoft are like the loud jock at the bar screaming about all women he could've been with and will soon be with. Nintendo and sony are at the table just watching him scream at anyone willing to hear. And just like an over confidant jock has all of daddies money in case things don't go as planned. Out of all the corporations to enter gaming Microsoft is hands down the one the least upside and most downside. I stand by that.

Last edited:

2. Project XCloud will definitely cater to existing Xbox fans. It remains to be seen if it can drive console sales since there is no indication that a game-streaming service will do that (see: PS Now).

3. Backwards compatibility hasn't mattered since the PS2. It's a nice way to lock people into the existing ecosystem, not much else.

4. The PS2 had cross-play. Similar to backwards compatibility, it's a nice feature but since its sole purpose is to de-emphasize the console you're playing on, why would this drive people to the Xbox brand, specifically? If anything, it would allow gamers to avoid Xbox all the more easily.

5. All this amounts to is their PR sounds nice. Hardly worth praising Microsoft for their nice PR.
What good exclusive does Sony have atm beside Spiderman and Last of us 2?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
All that means zero to me because I won't be buying an Xbox unless it has exclusive titles that I can't play on PC. Why would I pay hundreds to get lower quality performance/graphics?

I don't care if Microsoft "win" next gen. They can release an absolute beast that wipes the floor with the PS5 all they want but I'll still be getting a PS5 if it has games I can't play anywhere else.

Hotspurr

Banned

1. Business models definitely drive the success of a console as well as games. We all saw how a bad business model almost destroyed a console, so it definitely carries weight. Gamepass is an excellent example how a business model can drive sales and subscriptions.

2. If game streaming goes mainstream, which it will since many major companies are working on a solution (eg. APPLE), you can be sure it will sell hardware. PSnow is not the holy Grail in execution of such a service, and if MS gets it perfect they could bring Netflix level of popularity to streamed games.

3. Your opinion. Many people came over to the Xbox ecosystem to play their favorite games on a single console. It's a huge plus, and when you have fierce competition between companies this is a great tie breaker.

4. Cross play is actually quite nice. It's about having a good attitude towards your consumers. Sony wants to lock people in, MS opens things up. This kind of attitude is more pleasant and opens up more opportunities. Many people will still own multiple consoles and having cross play ability is very convenient for friends or SOs if a game doesn't support couch co-op.

5. Good PR is important. It sets up the expectation that a company has to follow through otherwise they risk their reputation and business. MS has done a lot to build trust. Sony on the other hand is going back to their old ways of the PS3 era before they realized their collosal mistakes.

MS is doing a spectacular job. This is from someone who hated their entire business during the 360 days and saw the xone as a trainwreck. It seems this is a cyclical thing, when you get on top, you forget how not to be shitty, and the underdog comes in and blows you up.

Last edited:

mejin

tenor.gif

Sparda

Banned
Sony and Nintendo had true 100% backwards compatibility 20 years ago. sony already has streaming service, same with cross platform with pc. they make the best effort in gamepass, but still EA was the first. So Ms came late to the party like always and pretend to be recognised as pioneer of these thing. These services can be counter by other company. That's why it's important to make better exclusives.

1. Business models definitely drive the success of a console as well as games. We all saw how a bad business model almost destroyed a console, so it definitely carries weight. Gamepass is an excellent example how a business model can drive sales and subscriptions.
A business model cannot compensate for a lack of games. If this could, then why didn't PS Vita sell well with all the free PS+ titles it has received over the years?

2. If game streaming goes mainstream, which it will since many major companies are working on a solution (eg. APPLE), you can be sure it will sell hardware. PSnow is not the holy Grail in execution of such a service, and if MS gets it perfect they could bring Netflix level of popularity to streamed games.
Lots of "ifs" and "could" here. I brought up PS Now because it already exists and it hasn't set the PS4 on fire (or at least, Sony gives no indication that it is a major driver for console sales).

It's easy to claim a bunch of ifs and coulds. If Microsoft gets it perfect they really could bring Netflix level of popularity to stream games. Sure, and if Sony gets their hardware perfect they could completely knock Xbox out of the console race, and if Nintendo gets their online perfect they could gain more subscribers than MS and Sony combined...

3. Your opinion. Many people came over to the Xbox ecosystem to play their favorite games on a single console. It's a huge plus, and when you have fierce competition between companies this is a great tie breaker.
It's not my opinion. Backwards compatibility didn't help the either the PS3, the Wii U, nor the 3DS sell any better. You would have to show me an example of where BC had a significant impact on the console's fortunes. Otherwise, I see it as a nice feature that helps keep the existing brand-loyalists in the brand.

4. Cross play is actually quite nice. It's about having a good attitude towards your consumers. Sony wants to lock people in, MS opens things up. This kind of attitude is more pleasant and opens up more opportunities. Many people will still own multiple consoles and having cross play ability is very convenient for friends or SOs if a game doesn't support couch co-op.
Attitude is just a different word for PR. My chief concern is whether or not the platform holder is attracting a high volume of high-quality games. Sony is doing that for the PS4.

5. Good PR is important. It sets up the expectation that a company has to follow through otherwise they risk their reputation and business. MS has done a lot to build trust. Sony on the other hand is going back to their old ways of the PS3 era before they realized their collosal mistakes.
Good PR is way down on my list of important things. I'd rather eat a feast of games than be told I'm eating a feast.

All this talk about "trust" is fairly stupid. Either Microsoft delivers or they don't. The rest is PR.

MS is doing a spectacular job. This is from someone who hated their entire business during the 360 days and saw the xone as a trainwreck. It seems this is a cyclical thing, when you get on top, you forget how not to be shitty, and the underdog comes in and blows you up.
Let's not take this to mean that Microsoft will win because they're the "underdog", which isn't true in any sense of the word.

WaterAstro

We'll see if they'll have the games to walking the walk instead of talking the talk. None of their newly acquired studios are at the juggernaut level of the top Sony studios.

epicnemesis

All that means zero to me because I won't be buying an Xbox unless it has exclusive titles that I can't play on PC. Why would I pay hundreds to get lower quality performance/graphics?

I don't care if Microsoft "win" next gen. They can release an absolute beast that wipes the floor with the PS5 all they want but I'll still be getting a PS5 if it has games I can't play anywhere else.
Shhhh don't tell them or they might walk back the crossplay stuff. I'm looking forward to a 2 console + PC future.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All of these Pro Microsoft articles on Forbes and Business Insider around the same time they announced a price cut?

Things that make you go, hmmm.

All of these Pro Microsoft articles on Forbes and Business Insider around the same time they announced a price cut?

Things that make you go, hmmm.
Positive press is hard to come by without wetting someone else’s beak. I said the same thing about the BI article from two or so weeks past.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I can't catch a break. I'm not that choosy, but I play Xbox One now and I see every reason to have gotten a PS4 instead. Best believe I will be going back to Playstation because of the crap. Hopefully, these are just biased (ahem) viewpoints and articles.

Bolivar687

Banned
So the same dude who wrote this a couple of days back, now writes this? LOL

Come one, at least try to hide it a little.

You can always tell when a new console generation is starting, because the press begin to really want to make sure we all know that Microsoft is making all the right moves, and Sony is starting to Concern them.

Hotspurr

Banned
A business model cannot compensate for a lack of games. If this could, then why didn't PS Vita sell well with all the free PS+ titles it has received over the years?
You do understand the concept of multiplatform games right? Unless one is an absolute fanboy, it's pretty clear to see Microsoft and Sony consoles for the most part have the same games, and arguably the multiplatform offering outshines exclusives. So in this case, a good business model makes a HUGE impact.

Lots of "ifs" and "could" here. I brought up PS Now because it already exists and it hasn't set the PS4 on fire (or at least, Sony gives no indication that it is a major driver for console sales).

It's easy to claim a bunch of ifs and coulds. If Microsoft gets it perfect they really could bring Netflix level of popularity to stream games. Sure, and if Sony gets their hardware perfect they could completely knock Xbox out of the console race, and if Nintendo gets their online perfect they could gain more subscribers than MS and Sony combined...

False equivalences. It's pretty clear both Microsoft and Sony have solid consoles. The next battleground could be VR, could be streaming, could be other aspects. The whole point of the "ifs" is to anticipate where one company may outshine another. It has become clear the gamepass is getting far more positive attention than PSnow. For two consoles that are becoming increasingly similar, these services will help tie break. It could at some point mean a lot once the exclusive offering on MS side becomes more competitive (which I agree btw, Sony has better exclusives, but MS can compensate somewhat with a mix of benefits, as well as their upcoming first party stuff newly acquired).

It's not my opinion. Backwards compatibility didn't help the either the PS3, the Wii U, nor the 3DS sell any better. You would have to show me an example of where BC had a significant impact on the console's fortunes. Otherwise, I see it as a nice feature that helps keep the existing brand-loyalists in the brand.

How could you possibly know that? Do you have the control scenario where there was no BC? Maybe they would have sold even worse. What's your scientific analysis here? The platforms may have well lost many loyalists if it hasn't been for these features (which directly affects the success, loyalists are not a given, and many own more than one console) and many people on forums speak to this fact (it's also intuitively obvious that BC is a nice plus).

Attitude is just a different word for PR. My chief concern is whether or not the platform holder is attracting a high volume of high-quality games. Sony is doing that for the PS4.

Sure, Sony has a few better exclusives. The vast majority of games are multiplatform. No one is arguing good PR outweighs good exclusives, but strawmaning is a way to argue, I guess.

The way I see it, MS will close the exclusive gap eventually. Personally I've gotten tired of Sony trying to make every game cinematic to the point they ruined GoW for me. My PS4 is a bloodborne machine, that's about it. Games will always be the most important thing, but my sense is that as these companies reach parity on those aspects, their success will be differentiated on a different battleground. And as far as those different battlegrounds, MS is doing a better job.

You do understand the concept of multiplatform games right? Unless one is an absolute fanboy, it's pretty clear to see Microsoft and Sony consoles for the most part have the same games, and arguably the multiplatform offering outshines exclusives. So in this case, a good business model makes a HUGE impact.

False equivalences. It's pretty clear both Microsoft and Sony have solid consoles. The next battleground could be VR, could be streaming, could be other aspects. The whole point of the "ifs" is to anticipate where one company may outshine another. It has become clear the gamepass is getting far more positive attention than PSnow. For two consoles that are becoming increasingly similar, these services will help tie break. It could at some point mean a lot once the exclusive offering on MS side becomes more competitive (which I agree btw, Sony has better exclusives, but MS can compensate somewhat with a mix of benefits, as well as their upcoming first party stuff newly acquired).
You don't know what a false equivalence is. I was commenting on your statement that "if Microsoft gets it perfect". Yeah, well if [company] happens to get [literally any product] perfect, I'm sure they'll do well, too. It's not really an argument, though. Microsoft could get it perfect. Or it might be inferior to PS Now. There's no sense to list streaming as a system seller when PS Now isn't currently a system seller.

How could you possibly know that? Do you have the control scenario where there was no BC? Maybe they would have sold even worse. What's your scientific analysis here? The platforms may have well lost many loyalists if it hasn't been for these features (which directly affects the success, loyalists are not a given, and many own more than one console) and many people on forums speak to this fact (it's also intuitively obvious that BC is a nice plus).
I'll simply flip the question and ask how could you possibly know that BC helps? What's the scientific analysis here?

Sure, Sony has a few better exclusives. The vast majority of games are multiplatform. No one is arguing good PR outweighs good exclusives, but strawmaning is a way to argue, I guess.
You don't know what strawmanning is. My post was in response to your claim that Microsoft has a "good attitude towards its customers", as if that's a quantifiable thing.

The way I see it, MS will close the exclusive gap eventually. Personally I've gotten tired of Sony trying to make every game cinematic to the point they ruined GoW for me. My PS4 is a bloodborne machine, that's about it. Games will always be the most important thing, but my sense is that as these companies reach parity on those aspects, their success will be differentiated on a different battleground. And as far as those different battlegrounds, MS is doing a better job.
These companies won't reach parity on game libraries, though, so it'll continue to be the main point of conflict.

This argument is based on speculation, not reality. It's fine to speculate that maybe someday these companies will "reach parity", but that doesn't seem to be the case now as we see video streaming services and PC game launchers splintering further as more storefronts/launchers enter the marketplace. This indicates a trend of parity decreasing while platform exclusives will increase to entice new customers and help the storefront stand out in the crowd.

Hotspurr

Banned
You don't know what a false equivalence is. I was commenting on your statement that "if Microsoft gets it perfect". Yeah, well if [company] happens to get [literally any product] perfect, I'm sure they'll do well, too. It's not really an argument, though. Microsoft could get it perfect. Or it might be inferior to PS Now. There's no sense to list streaming as a system seller when PS Now isn't currently a system seller.

I'll simply flip the question and ask how could you possibly know that BC helps? What's the scientific analysis here?

You don't know what strawmanning is. My post was in response to your claim that Microsoft has a "good attitude towards its customers", as if that's a quantifiable thing.

These companies won't reach parity on game libraries, though, so it'll continue to be the main point of conflict.

This argument is based on speculation, not reality. It's fine to speculate that maybe someday these companies will "reach parity", but that doesn't seem to be the case now as we see video streaming services and PC game launchers splintering further as more storefronts/launchers enter the marketplace. This indicates a trend of parity decreasing while platform exclusives will increase to entice new customers and help the storefront stand out in the crowd.

Seems your arguing tactic has turned into personal attacks about how others don't know what they're talking about and reversing questions. It was interesting while it lasted, but eventually you exhaust anyone's intellect I guess. :)

Seems your arguing tactic has turned into personal attacks about how others don't know what they're talking about and reversing questions. It was interesting while it lasted, but eventually you exhaust anyone's intellect I guess. :)
So you aren't going to reply? Sorry that I exhausted your intellect.

I'd at least appreciate you pointing out where I turned it into personal attacks. I try to avoid doing so.

I see him defending his position by pointing out its not a strawman but I don't see where you're getting "personal attacks" from unless you consider him saying "You don't know what starwmaning is" a personal attack.

So you aren't going to reply? Sorry that I exhausted your intellect.

I'd at least appreciate you pointing out where I turned it into personal attacks. I try to avoid doing so.

I think he considers you saying "You don't know what false equivalence is" a personal attack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom