• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business Insider: Microsoft to launch browser based xCloud/GamePass for iOS

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-apple-iphone-ipad-2020-10

Microsoft's gaming boss Phil Spencer told employees at an all-hands meeting on Wednesday the company is planning to bring Game Pass to Apple's iPhone and iPad, targeting 2021 for the potential release of a "direct browser-based solution," Business Insider has learned.

"We absolutely will end up on iOS," Spencer told employees, according to two people with direct knowledge of his comments. Microsoft did not comment at the time of publication. Apple has not yet responded to a request for comment.

Same way that Amazon is getting Luna to work on iOS. Microsoft doesn't want to be second to market and Apple is still unwilling to change their App Store policies to allow xCloud or Stadia.

Last edited:

theHFIC

Very smart move. I wonder what the potential is for the browser on other consoles too. Since iOS is webkit based and a lot of other browsers out there are, it is a solid foundation.

EDIT: Amazon I think announced it first with Luna. Good to see Microsoft hop in. Maybe Playstation Now follows suit?

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Very smart move. I wonder what the potential is for the browser on other consoles too. Since iOS is webkit based and a lot of other browsers out there are, it is a solid foundation.

EDIT: Amazon I think announced it first with Luna. Good to see Microsoft hop in. Maybe Playstation Now follows suit?

Suspect we will see a dedicated Windows app at somepoint. Browser on iOS. They could go browser or app on Mac OS.

PSNow is 100% going to get a soft "relaunch" at somepoint in the future. That's definitely the direction they are headed as well. Console+PC+Streaming puts both MSFT and SNE in a really good position against Luna and Stadia.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
So in this case this could run on Switch browser right? Provided that inputs from switch can be bind to some browser interface. Which I thing it should not be a problem...
Hypothetically if Switch had a browser...

That said, I only expect the browser version to work on iOS. They’ll be able to tell what device you are on. Not every device with will work-the page will only be compatible with certain devices. The webpage will likely prompt you to download the app on Android. They can release apps on PC/Mac OS.

Last edited:

Aladin

So in this case this could run on Switch browser right? Provided that inputs from switch can be bind to some browser interface. Which I thing it should not be a problem...
Every switch owner has a mobile and a laptop ? Gamepass will never come to switch or playstation.

XOMTOR

I understand Apple's stance against Epic, but I read their reasoning for not allowing cloud gaming services and....yea, I'm just not seeing what their beef is. What's the difference between allowing movie streaming services like Netflix and game streaming? It's just media.

BeardGawd

Banned
Are there any inherent issues from doing this in a browser? Increased latency? Decreased video quality compared to the app?

Quasicat

safari interacts with controllers? I didnt know that.
My guess is they will run this through the Edge browser. They’ve put so much money into it with the relaunch of it and I’m sure they can implement controller support since they’ve developed it.
Now, all I need is PC support so I can play at work.

I understand Apple's stance against Epic, but I read their reasoning for not allowing cloud gaming services and....yea, I'm just not seeing what their beef is. What's the difference between allowing movie streaming services like Netflix and game streaming? It's just media.

Because even with Apple TV+, Netflix is not a competitor and poses zero threat to any of Apple's big 3; phones, tablets, and computers.

Microsoft on the other hand is literally Apple's oldest and most formidable rival. While Surface is not on the same level as iDevices, the Surface brand and line of products still exist. Apple will do everything in their power to either get a sizeable cut from xCloud or stop xCloud completely from iOS. They have -- whether we like it or not -- every reason to look at Microsoft as a threat and not some lifelong pal that just oddly tries to establish a monopoly everywhere he goes. That Good Guy Phil™ shit doesn't work on Apple.

Nevermind setting legal precedent (i.e. saying yes to xCloud makes it near impossible to [legally] block any other gaming service on their platform), nevermind the history of iPod vs Zune and the history of iTunes on Windows, nevermind the fuckery of Apple's suite of office apps vs Microsoft Office, and nevermind the fact that the guy that started Apple never liked Microsoft. Microsoft have been making some pretty big strides towards becoming a software behemoth in gaming. Should they succeed, they could potentially end up being the biggest videogame software publisher in the world. What that means for Apple is they could find themselves in a PC vs Mac software situation, only this time, it's Surface vs iDevices wherein Apple can't get the biggest content in gaming and or the only way to get the content is to pay for it because one company holds the keys to the biggest stuff around. Think about the implication(s) of all iOS and Mac platforms being starved of thousands of pieces of software.

So for as silly and assbackwards as it seems for Apple to not allow xCloud, they (Apple) are well within reason to not want to find themselves in a situation where they have to pay for gaming content to show up on their platform. There's rumors of Apple working on their own streaming shit and that stuff could be true. But the core of Apple throwing up both middle fingers at Microsoft is that they (Apple) know first hand how relentless Microsoft is and as a result, they will do everything within their power to not create another situation where Microsoft corners an entire software market.

Top Bottom