• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You don't know the power of the dark side. Get ready to view random demos on youtube, random netflix stuff at 4k now etc. You picked up an amazing television.

I've dropped about $600 on a 4K Blu-Ray player and various movies over the last month. I'm buying movies I don't even like just because the picture quality is so good. It's bad, man.

Think I'm pulling the trigger on the Sony X800D. I have the PlayStation 4 Pro for review, but I'm also a games journalist, so I don't have the money to burn to reach the Samsung KS8000 I really want.

I'd like to thank Madness and others for the helpful information.

Geneijin

Think I'm pulling the trigger on the Sony X800D. I have the PlayStation 4 Pro for review, but I'm also a games journalist, so I don't have the money to burn to reach the Samsung KS8000 I really want.

Unless you need the size, I hope you're getting the 43"

Madness

It is a great set. Especially if the goal is 4K and HDR gaming at an affordable price. Which size? Also post impressions of how your PS4 Pro looks with it.

I've dropped about $600 on a 4K Blu-Ray player and various movies over the last month. I'm buying movies I don't even like just because the picture quality is so good. It's bad, man.

Yeah once I saw ghostbusters 2 at 4K. I realized I would be upgrading all my bluray collection again. I thought 1080p versions of movies would suffice but they don't.

Hey I've been checking out the ks8000 and just wanted to know if this is the right version in Australia.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e...s8000-55-4k-suhd-hdr-smart-led-lcd-tv/956298/

Yeah seems like the NA KS8000.

Wag

Local BJ's is already selling a few 65" 4k TV's <$800, one was even $500 (although that one wasn't HDR).

DOWN

Banned
Is there a good 60" on the market? Some of y'all said the Samsung line is using an inferior panel for that size only

60 would be perfect for me. I sit 9-10' away from the screen.

Madness

I was going with the 49". Is this just a price difference for the size, or is there some difference I'm missing in the 43 vs the 49?

43" uses a VA panel which means better black levels when viewed front on, but picture quality degrades from angles, whereas 49" uses IPS panel which means better viewing angles and bright light room viewing but worse black levels as the panel doesn't get as dark.

43" uses a VA panel which means better black levels when viewed front on, but picture quality degrades from angles, whereas 49" uses IPS panel which means better viewing angles and bright light room viewing but worse black levels as the panel doesn't get as dark.

Ahhhh, the black levels on that set are already not great compared to the Samsung or the Vizio, but I play from an angle a lot of the time. (My PC desk is next to my entertainment stand and I generally sit there while reviewing because I'm recording footage.)

Hurm. Hard choice.

Madness

Ahhhh, the black levels on that set are already not great compared to the Samsung or the Vizio, but I play from an angle a lot of the time. (My PC desk is next to my entertainment stand and I generally sit there while reviewing because I'm recording footage.)

Hurm. Hard choice.

They're alright. Rtings literally did not receive a 49" set and did not even know that the panels were IPS until someone sent them a photo and they guessed black levels. For the set, they are better than past years Sony model, but it is a midrange television.

What is the price discrepancy between the Sony 49" and the Vizio or Samsung you are looking at?

They're alright. Rtings literally did not receive a 49" set and did not even know that the panels were IPS until someone sent them a photo and they guessed black levels. For the set, they are better than past years Sony model, but it is a midrange television.

What is the price discrepancy between the Sony 49" and the Vizio or Samsung you are looking at?

$200. Sony 49" is $800, Vizio P50-C1 is $1,000, and Samsung XS8000 is $1,100.

MazeHaze

Banned

If you're gonna drop close to a grand, don't get an IPS set. Yeah off angle is better, but black levels are garbage. GARBAGE. If you want to take advantage of HDR and can't afford OLED, rearrange your room so you're head on and get a VA panel. Trust me. Had a Sony IPS before I got the Ks8000, night and day difference, no hyperbole.

Edit: the black levels on a sony 850d head on are worse than the black levels of a ks8000 off center, by a wide margin. Its not even close. Black looks gray on sony IPS, like nowhere near black. Even with some light blooming on the samsung, it basically looks like the tv is off on black screens. That sony, black screens glow, not even dark gray, just gray.

Edit edit: if I had to rate it, the sony 850d is a 6 out of 10, and the samsung ks8000 is a 9 out of 10. So glad I went through the hassle of a return on that. If you get the 43 inch 800 series sony, thats probably fine, but IPS is nasty.

Theman2k

So, I just did some market research on the KS8500 (KS8000 is not available in my region).
Planning on getting this over black friday or on a good discount.

Just found out that it's completely sold out !
So I can't get this TV trough the official import/warrenty, RESTOCK ONLY IN DECEMBER.
No wonder the AV forums have been filled with KS8500 threads latley, PS4 PRO selling samsung TV's great.

Waterdrop

ks8000 is the only tv to buy for ps4pro gamers.

Has the best lag specs, its beautiful. and is well built.

Vizio P is very good also, but has huge lag and sports blue problems.

MazeHaze

Banned
So, I just did some market research on the KS8500 (KS8000 is not available in my region).
Planning on getting this over black friday or on a good discount.

Just found out that it's completely sold out !
So I can't get this TV trough the official import/warrenty, RESTOCK ONLY IN DECEMBER.
No wonder the AV forums have been filled with KS8500 threads latley, PS4 PRO selling samsung TV's great.

This happened to me in july, retailers were restocked within a week, even though they all told me it could be months before a restock.

Bestbuy was trying to get me to go with the same sony I had exchanged, told me it was "better" because of "reasons". It's not, not even in the same universe.

God damn. there isn't really any good 40 inch 4k tv with all the bells and whistles? I'm trying to fit it in my desk space but i can't seem to find a good one.

Madness

Again depends on your budget, but if you are reviewing a lot of games, and 49" is the way to go, either get the X800D or the KS8000. But again, $330 betweem the sets is a lot of money.

The IPS isn't as bad as the other poster is making it. His television isn't the one being discussed. Before purchasing my own television, I looked at the 43" and 49" with a fine toothed comb. Various inputs, angle viewing. The 43" does have better blacks and contrast but washes out quickly on an angle whereas the 49" did not have as dark black levels but maintained color uniformity on an angle.

I would say, you might as well get the KS8000. Most annoying thing with that tv is the the shittier tizen os for smart features and maybe the one connect box as there are no inputs on the television itself. The wide color gamut isn't as good as Sony sets with triluminous known for their color. Sony realizes black levels and brightness have long been their kryptonite which is why their Z series approaches OLED level blacks but can become ten times brighter.

God damn. there isn't really any good 40 inch 4k tv with all the bells and whistles? I'm trying to fit it in my desk space but i can't seem to find a good one.

Sony 43" X800D. No other television comes close to what you get especially if the goal is 4K and HDR. Easily recommend it over the Samsung 6000 series and LG 6000 series. Under 50" is now a niche size.

Again depends on your budget, but if you are reviewing a lot of games, and 49" is the way to go, either get the X800D or the KS8000. But again, $330 betweem the sets is a lot of money.

The IPS isn't as bad as the other poster is making it. His television isn't the one being discussed. Before purchasing my own television, I looked at the 43" and 49" with a fine toothed comb. Various inputs, angle viewing. The 43" does have better blacks and contrast but washes out quickly on an angle whereas the 49" did not have as dark black levels but maintained color uniformity on an angle.

I would say, you might as well get the KS8000. Most annoying thing with that tv is the the shittier tizen os for smart features and maybe the one connect box as there are no inputs on the television itself. The wide color gamut isn't as good as Sony sets with triluminous known for their color. Sony realizes black levels and brightness have long been their kryptonite which is why their Z series approaches OLED level blacks but can become ten times brighter.

I may try the 43" K800D then. Checking the Rtings reviews, it looks like the black levels are on par with my current VIZIO M401i-A3, which doesn't currently bother me.

I'll probably waffle a bit more before pulling the trigger tomorrow.

Madness

I may try the 43" K800D then. Checking the Rtings reviews, it looks like the black levels are on par with my current VIZIO M401i-A3, which doesn't currently bother me.

Black levels on 43" are solid. Viewing angles good till about 25-30 degrees before big drop off. I would say either do 43" X800D or if you need bigger size, do the 49" ks8000.

ChanMan

If the Samsung Ks8000 is as good as people say it is I think I may wait until next year to pick up one. I am assuming the price for these 4k TVs will continue to drop every year.

Kyoufu

If the Samsung Ks8000 is as good as people say it is I think I may wait until next year to pick up one. I am assuming the price for these 4k TVs will continue to drop every year.

It's the best bang for buck 4K TV out there IMO. A solid buy for anyone that can't afford premium sets.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How difficult is it to calibrate televisions these days? Haven't bothered with all that since my sony crt back in the day... what pain in the ass that was. I was way out in the weeds.

Last few sets, I've just done basic adjustments, nothing too in depth. Just wondering if proper calibration has become any less obtuse recently.

chaosaeon

Shame Costco is the only place with the dark bezel KS8000, right ? I like it a lot better than the chrome finish (a lottt better) but there doesn't seem to be an affordable place to get that darker version in canada.

Guys, looking @ the KU6000 range (budget restrictions) and read on the AV forums that only hdmi 1 gives the full fat 4K/60fps? If so, it puts the kybosh on that for me as intending to use the tv for the pro and my pc.

So, knowing that i need at least 2 hdmi inputs to support 4k/60fps, is there anything else around the same price range that fills my needs?

As i'm learning rapidly here while doing mega google research,what i should have said is does all of the KU6000 hdmi 2 ports support this...

1080p @ 60Hz Show Help : 19.8 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help : 109.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help : 122.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz Show Help : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR Show Help : 36.7 ms

....or will it just be one of them?

Cheers.

Whooo... Uhh I am extremely picky about my TV's. I've owned the top of the line Vizio P series, as well as the JS9000 and JS9000 and haven't been particularly impressed with any aside from the JS9000 but was turned off by missing features... However... When something gets cheap enough, you really cant go wrong even as a stop over TV.

I think this one is that.

Samsung 40KU6290 for $330. Some on Slickdeals are saying Best Buy will price match a $249.99 offer. Will like the page so people can try.

Edit: http://slickdeals.net/f/9239743-4k-...store-pickup-pc-richard?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Same panel and quality as the 6300 just without Bluetooth and the smart remote. For $70 difference I wouldn't say the 6300 worth it over this.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

Supports HDR10 however it doesn't have an especially wide color gamut, so the contrast is really the only HDR ready thing about it. Still impulse buy price range.

The biggest issue is the judder. That could be a deal breaker even at this price.

Note this isn't a special deal or anything just a very cheap 4k "HDR" TV from Samsung with decent quality, especially as a monitor. If you can't get Best Buy to give you an exceptional deal though, might just want to save up.

Corum

Where can I find the 43" K800D in the UK?

I'm finding it difficult to locate, are the model numbers different here?

Hey I've been checking out the ks8000 and just wanted to know if this is the right version in Australia.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e...s8000-55-4k-suhd-hdr-smart-led-lcd-tv/956298/

I got the 65" version of that (8005, the last number usually changes depending on territory and I'm in Finland) and I have to say the tv is incredible. My previous gaming tv was a 30" Panasonic plasma so it was quite the upgrade.

The UI is very easy to use and super fast so using the tv's own Netflix, Viaplay, HBO (Nordic) is very easy and those support 4K. Swapping between channels or apps is really fast too. Input lag is 21ms. Very happy with my purchase so far.

FuturusX

Ks8000 vs LG B6?

Wondering the same thing. I'd like to go OLED for those super rich blacks. But I wonder if input lag on the KS8000 is better for gaming.

EDIT: looks as though the LG B6 has pretty high input lag of around 44ms vs the low 20s of the KS8000. For gaming I think we have clear winner.

spwolf

well if you are often playing at angle, IPS is actually better choice.

Top Bottom