• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

DieH@rd

Banned
Aww yiss, ordered. 60" KS8000 on its way.

9366477891_fc9f6084c1_o.gif

I received an email this morning that said Best Buy is doing a 1-day shopping event this Saturday. One of the highlights of the sale is that you can save 200-700 dollars on select Samsung 4k models. One of the pictures shown is for the KS8000, which I've been wanting to buy.

The only thing is... this model is already on sale a couple of hundred dollars off this week. Does this mean it will be even an extra couple hundred off on Saturday? On the email, it said the deals are good for Saturday only... if that's the case, I'd jump and buy a KS8000 this weekend. But it seems too good to be true. Like maybe it's the price that it's already on sale for. Any thoughts? Anyone get the same email?

tommyguns

Ended up ordering the 65" KS8000 yesterday direct from Samsung. Now I patiently wait and hope it shows up in time for the PS4 Pro!

Ended up ordering the 65" KS8000 yesterday direct from Samsung. Now I patiently wait and hope it shows up in time for the PS4 Pro!

I've heard Samsung has a newsletter sign-up offer that pops up an offers 20% off. Do you know if that's true? Would bring the 40KU6290 under $300 which I would grab for console alone as a stop over until a worthy reasonably priced 4k set is out.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Annoyed at the stand on the KS8000 (KS7000 here in the UK). There's no possible way that's going to fit on my TV stand and I'm not going to buy an enormous stand just to house it.

Very close to pulling the trigger of the 43" Sony XD80, either that or just ride out 1080p until proper HDR isn't so costly since I'm far more interested in that than a resolution boost.

Wondering the same thing. I'd like to go OLED for those super rich blacks. But I wonder if input lag on the KS8000 is better for gaming.

EDIT: looks as though the LG B6 has pretty high input lag of around 44ms vs the low 20s of the KS8000. For gaming I think we have clear winner.

Yeah, I'm going for another OLED myself as I use my TV for much more than gaming and I really enjoy 3D movies which Samsung doesn't offer, but for just gaming the KS8000 is really nice. I don't play too many twitch games though so the lower input lag is less important to me than picture quality.

Annoyed at the stand on the KS8000 (KS7000 here in the UK). There's no possible way that's going to fit on my TV stand and I'm not going to buy an enormous stand just to house it.

Very close to pulling the trigger of the 43" Sony XD80, either that or just ride out 1080p until proper HDR isn't so costly since I'm far more interested in that than a resolution boost.

Pay the extra ~£100 and get the UK KS8000 with different stand, plus extras.

Whooo... Uhh I am extremely picky about my TV's. I've owned the top of the line Vizio P series, as well as the JS9000 and JS9000 and haven't been particularly impressed with any aside from the JS9000 but was turned off by missing features... However... When something gets cheap enough, you really cant go wrong even as a stop over TV.

I think this one is that.

Samsung 40KU6290 for $330. Some on Slickdeals are saying Best Buy will price match a $249.99 offer. Will like the page so people can try.

Edit: http://slickdeals.net/f/9239743-4k-...store-pickup-pc-richard?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Same panel and quality as the 6300 just without Bluetooth and the smart remote. For $70 difference I wouldn't say the 6300 worth it over this.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

Supports HDR10 however it doesn't have an especially wide color gamut, so the contrast is really the only HDR ready thing about it. Still impulse buy price range.

The biggest issue is the judder. That could be a deal breaker even at this price.

Note this isn't a special deal or anything just a very cheap 4k "HDR" TV from Samsung with decent quality, especially as a monitor. If you can't get Best Buy to give you an exceptional deal though, might just want to save up.

Where are they price matching this for $249? I think they're talking about the heinse 43 inch.

Conduit

Banned
Found curved UE43KS7500 (UK) for cheap. How this TV in that dimension is comparable to flat UE49KS7000 (UK) and to 43XD8005 (UK)?

Kyne

crazy how much 4k consoles are selling these Samsung units.

If a company actually went out of their way to make a gaming line set of TVs there would be a high demand for it.

*Samsung KS owner*

tommyguns

I've heard Samsung has a newsletter sign-up offer that pops up an offers 20% off. Do you know if that's true? Would bring the 40KU6290 under $300 which I would grab for console alone as a stop over until a worthy reasonably priced 4k set is out.

It may very well be true but I haven't seen it. (I just got signed up for their emails when I made an account and then quickly disabled them.)

Lady Gaia

Ks8000 vs LG B6?

Lag could be a factor as some have suggested, but I'd love to see a serious comparison with current firmware and HDR gaming on both. The two other major factors I've been pondering are image retention on OLED, and peak brightness which is quite a bit lower on OLED currently. If you're gaming much in daylight hours with natural light that could be an issue. If you're gaming in a pitch-black room then the perfect blacks of the OLED are a big win.

Luke_Wal

I bought a Vizio P50 the other week for $700.

There's a lot of hate on it in this thread, and I want to come out and say I don't think that's entirely justified. The remote kinda sucks, but in game mode, the input lag is not noticeable to me (console player), at least without HDR on. Once I play games in HDR, maybe my tune will change. Wait, crap, will my tune change?!? Oh no. What do I do with this TV now that it's out of the return period?

Anarion07

Lag could be a factor as some have suggested, but I'd love to see a serious comparison with current firmware and HDR gaming on both. The two other major factors I've been pondering are image retention on OLED, and peak brightness which is quite a bit lower on OLED currently. If you're gaming much in daylight hours with natural light that could be an issue. If you're gaming in a pitch-black room then the perfect blacks of the OLED are a big win.

Yep I'd love a comparison as well.
The price difference is not that big after all for the 65 inch.
Gaming and Movies/Tv shows are my main priorities, with more time spent on watching stuff actually.

I remember reading somewhere that peak brightness for OLEDs shouldn't really be directly compared with LCD?

Good enough for PS4 Pro?

yes, if missing out proper HDR doesn't bother you
plus, it is a very cheap set ( i've paid it €449), and it has great input response when in game mode
1080p @ 60Hz : 19.8 ms
1080p With Interpolation : 109.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 122.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 36.7 ms

Lady Gaia

I remember reading somewhere that peak brightness for OLEDs shouldn't really be directly compared with LCD?

Definitely not if you're trying to sell someone an OLED TV? ;-) Our eyes really are very adaptable, meaning that contrast ratio is absolutely the most important thing about the perceived quality of the image. Your pupils will simply open up to let more light in with a lower peak brightness in your field of view.

... but in a brightly lit room the limitation can become much more apparent. Reflections on the screen and objects surrounding your television can be bright enough to become a real problem. Whereas the insane peak brightness of some modern LCDs reflections are less of an issue, and brightly lit surroundings are well matched to the overall brighter image.

yes, if missing out proper HDR doesn't bother you
plus, it is a very cheap set ( i've paid it €449), and it has great input response when in game mode
1080p @ 60Hz : 19.8 ms
1080p With Interpolation : 109.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode : 122.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 36.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 20.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR : 36.7 ms

Do all 3 hdmi inputs run those specs or just 1 or 2 of them do you know?

Do all 3 hdmi inputs run those specs or just 1 or 2 of them do you know?

probably all of the 3, because i have the xbox one plugged in hdmi 2 and outside of gaming mode, gears 4 and forza horizon 3 were pretty much unplayable
still have to try hdmi 3 with the wii u
hdmi 1 is the only one that has hdmi uhd color ( HDR )

probably all of the 3, because i have the xbox one plugged in hdmi 2 and outside of gaming mode, gears 4 and forza horizon 3 were pretty much unplayable
still have to try hdmi 3 with the wii u
hdmi 1 is the only one that has hdmi uhd color ( HDR )

Hmmmm, was intending to use it for the pro and pc, but maybe having hdr on only 1 hdmi input might kill the deal for me. :(

Cheers for replying tho. :)

styl3s

I bought a Vizio P50 the other week for $700.

There's a lot of hate on it in this thread, and I want to come out and say I don't think that's entirely justified. The remote kinda sucks, but in game mode, the input lag is not noticeable to me (console player), at least without HDR on. Once I play games in HDR, maybe my tune will change. Wait, crap, will my tune change?!? Oh no. What do I do with this TV now that it's out of the return period?
I have the P55 for my computer because it's a pretty damn good PC 4k TV and supports 120hz in 1080 but the hate comes from the input lag.

It's fucking terrible with HDR on. It's embarrassingly bad.

There are a lot of threads I could scan through and try to come to some sort of answer, but I thought I'd simply find one and ask.

What right now, as a UK dweller, is the best TV to buy for 4K HDR for the PS4 Pro in the 32" to 49" range?

I know, I know, I'm being incredibly lazy and could just read a few threads and posts, but there seems to be a lot of different opinions, ranging from the Sony TV's to the Samsung TVs.

So I'd just like to know what the best one is and where the cheapest to get it from in the UK.

UK Gafer here.

What's the difference between the UE55KS8000 (£1,549.00) and the UE55KS7000(£1,299.00)

I've had a look at the specs and nothing is jumping out to me. What would i be paying the extra £250 for?

suedester

Banned
UK Gafer here.

What's the difference between the UE55KS8000 (£1,549.00) and the UE55KS7000(£1,299.00)

I've had a look at the specs and nothing is jumping out to me. What would i be paying the extra £250 for?

The S8000 has better local dimming and better speakers. The general consensus is that it's not worth the extra cash.

The panels are pretty much identical apart from the curve obviously.

Astrates

UK Gafer here.

Worth noting that John Lewis is selling KS7000 for £1099 so Richer Sounds have followed suit. John Lewis offer is active until 28/11.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When do the big players normally release their new models to the market? Sony/Samsung/lg/Panasonic

We normally see stuff at CES but when will they hit stores?

Toki767

When do the big players normally release their new models to the market? Sony/Samsung/lg/Panasonic

We normally see stuff at CES but when will they hit stores?

Usually after March.

Superbowl week is basically when they start doing semi-clearance on current year models.

Normally around April.

Usually after March.

Superbowl week is basically when they start doing semi-clearance on current year models.

Going to enjoy that nice 1080p PS4Pro to wait until CES then. If nothing good comes out then I'll probably pick up the Samsung one.

I should be looking for a TV with OLED, 4K and HDR correct? Of course a low input lag would be great but that would't be known until after mass production right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks. Will be high priced near RRP for a while before slowly dropping. But will hopefully be able to use CES as a view to whether there will be big improvements. If not I might pick up a holdover 4K to tide me over a few years

Nevyr

Banned
I had no plans on picking up a 4k at this time but this might be a sign,

So my wife, decided that since we just moved and downsized our house, that the 70" is too big for our living room due to the lay out, but a 60" would fit perfectly.

the KS8000 looks very tempting

Kyne

I had no plans on picking up a 4k at this time but this might be a sign,

So my wife, decided that since we just moved and downsized our house, that the 70" is too big for our living room due to the lay out, but a 60" would fit perfectly.

the KS8000 looks very tempting

It's on sale.

Act fast.

Toki767

My only issue with the KS8000 is that the stand makes it so that my current TV stand is too short and I can't wall mount it.

OSHAN

KS8500 65" arrived yesterday. Very much looking forward to the PS4 Pro now. I really, really which it could play 4k blu-rays, however. I went from being indifferent to upset.

Madness

There are a lot of threads I could scan through and try to come to some sort of answer, but I thought I'd simply find one and ask.

What right now, as a UK dweller, is the best TV to buy for 4K HDR for the PS4 Pro in the 32" to 49" range?

I know, I know, I'm being incredibly lazy and could just read a few threads and posts, but there seems to be a lot of different opinions, ranging from the Sony TV's to the Samsung TVs.

So I'd just like to know what the best one is and where the cheapest to get it from in the UK.

X800D at 43" is the best below 49". The price and the features are solid. Slghtly more than Samsung and LG series but for features much better at this size.

lt519

Attempted to spoil myself and buy the KS8000 along with a PS Pro but I just dropped $2k on a trip to London and bought a PSVR. I need to stay away from GAF, it's breaking my wallet :p

X800D at 43" is the best below 49". The price and the features are solid. Slghtly more than Samsung and LG series but for features much better at this size.

Brilliant thank you.
On a related topic, for anyone that help me as I'm at my wits end googing this.

I currently have this TV:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/uhd-tvs/UE40JU6000KXXU

40" JU6000 6 Series Flat UHD Smart LED TV

Now, I knew when I bought it, it wasnt HDR and thats fine. But what I am worried about is if this TV can perform 60 fps at 4K with the PS4 Pro, or will it be limited to 30fps due to the refresh rate.

I've found some sort of answers googling, but nothing concrete.

I have also emailed Samsung Support to ask them as well.

If it doesnt, then at least I know and I can look to getting a new one sooner with HDR as opposed to waiting till after Christmas, but the last thing I want is to be limited to 30fps with the Pro, because that will suck.

Where are they price matching this for $249? I think they're talking about the heinse 43 inch.

Yea I guess some were. Others were talking about stacking a discover deal of 12% additionally off. So at PC Richard's it's $330 - $25, then an additional 12% so I guess it ends up being just under 270 but they didn't state as much until later.

Still I think I'm going to grab this. I wonder if Best Buy would be willing to match that additional 25 off. I don't mind spending an extra 30 or so for peace of mind in returning it easily if there's issues.

Top Bottom