• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

tommyguns

Ryūko no Ken

Neo Member
Samsung KU6300 vs Sony X800D
How big of a difference are there between the two? I assume the Sony is better? My main use is going to be PS4 Pro and PC Gaming/Second Monitor. How much better is the HDR on the Sony than the Samsung?

I've bought the KU6300 (6079 here in Germany) and it has been the best decision of my life. A sweet 70 inch screen with 4K and HDR (sort of) for 1.700 Euros. For as long as I can think, a 65" TV was a dream for me. But for only a couple of hundred bucks more (65" costs 1.300) I could play Battlefield 1, Tomb Raider and FIFA in SEVENTY inches. I still can't believe how big this thing is.

I wanted a bigger TV for quite a long time. With PS4 pro on the horizon, I knew that it would be stupid to go for a TV without 4K capabilities. Like many of you guys I checked out rtings.com and the KU6300's mediocre overall rating. But for me the most important thing wasn't the perfect brightness, the colors or a Android TV OS. It was all about the gaming capabilities and the input lag. Samsung is even better than Sony and although I had serious concerns that I would notice a delay in 70", the performance is just as good as on my smaller 46" samsung which had around 20 ms. It's great!

And for the first time in my life, my new TV has no problems with clouding or banding. All my last TVs (Toshiba, Samsung, Sony) had these problems which annoyed my since the first day. A friend bought a Sony Full HD 75" model lately and started Journey, a game which quickly reveals such problems. And he has dozens of bright stripes all over the screen. My KU6300 on the other hand has absolutely NO issues and I couldn't be happier.

It is an incredible gaming monitor, guys!

Haggled with some guys on SlickDeals for a EPP access and holy shit the 60" is $1054 and then 10% back through Discover Deals. $1139 after tax, but $110 back brings it to $1029. Going to have to jump on this :0

The missus is going to murder me, $500 PSVR, $400 PS Pro, and now a $1k TV and I just got back from London :/

I love and hate you GAF

Edit: FYI: I now apparently have 5 codes to give out as well if anyone wants one.

Yes, please 😀

Toki767

Haggled with some guys on SlickDeals for a EPP access and holy shit the 60" is $1054 and then 10% back through Discover Deals. $1139 after tax, but $110 back brings it to $1029. Going to have to jump on this :0

The missus is going to murder me, $500 PSVR, $400 PS Pro, and now a $1k TV and I just got back from London :/

I love and hate you GAF

Edit: FYI: I now apparently have 5 codes to give out as well if anyone wants one.

I would love a code.

lt519

I would love a code.

Yes, please 😀

Not positive how it works, but I need a First/Last name and email address to invite you to the program (so send me a PM). You can certainly give me fake info but I'm not sure if they try and match it up during check out process, etc.

What I did was created a Samsung account, used the EPP website to access Samsung, put the TV in my cart, closed the browser, then used Discover Deals portal to enter the Samsung website and the cheaper TV was in my cart already.

NYHorn36

Not positive how it works, but I need a First/Last name and email address to invite you to the program (so send me a PM). You can certainly give me fake info but I'm not sure if they try and match it up during check out process, etc.

What I did was created a Samsung account, used the EPP website to access Samsung, put the TV in my cart, closed the browser, then used Discover Deals portal to enter the Samsung website and the cheaper TV was in my cart already.

Sent you a pm!

dabomb4944

Neo Member

Sent you a PM

Upon further reflection I'm going to hold off for now (probably). I think I may end up needing a 75" model given my seating distance, so I'll just pick up the other pieces (new receiver, PS pro, etc) now and get the TV in a little while. Thanks though.

newsguy

Well I bit the bullet on the 65" K8000. I wasn't even in the market for a 4k tv, but a friend from work told me about the employee thing thru our job and I saw that the savings were so substantial it was probably worth it. $1369 after tax is ridiculous or the amount of TV you get here.

____

I love and hate you GAF

I'll take a code if you'd be so kind.

I love and hate you GAF

Can I get a code please???

Tried the KS8000 for two weeks and had to return it because the light bleed was just unavoidable. Especially because I play in my basement with low light at times ( more so when watching Netflix or blu rays). Also the pillaring of light was distracting. Imagine a loading symbol appearing in the middle of a black screen and a vertical shaft of washed out black accompanying it. I even tried bias lighting and all of the above was still noticeable.

I write all of this just to give warning to those planning to use this tv in a darker environment. I also admit I may have been unlikely in the panel lottery and got a panel that had more light bleed than normal. But when I returned the tv back to the store they said they had a few returned already with noticeable light bleed and even the display models it can be seen on as well. I also came from a plasma so I was much more sensitive to non uniform blacks than some may be.

So I ended up with the Vizio P series which has FALD and have been very happy with it thus far. Samsung might have had just a slight more pop in color but not enough to overshadow the other issues I had.

lt519

At this point if anyone is looking for a code, bother these guys, I'm all out :p

Sent you a PM

Sent you a pm!

I would love a code.

They should now have 5 invites each that they can access in their account settings.

Also keep an eye out for the WOW bucks. I've got $63 worth from the TV purchase and you put that towards the Pro or lots of other things.

I love and hate you GAF

Can I please have a code.

Just saw your edit, time to bother those guys!

Can I get one of your codes please :)

____

Can I please have a code.

Just saw your edit, time to bother those guys!

Can I get one of your codes please :)

Sure can,

PM me your first, last and email!

Ok, all 5 guys above me have been PM'd, so no more for now, but be sure to share out when you guys get in.

Thanks!

Think I'm gonna get the Samsung KS8000 55in. It's dropped to $1200 on Amazon. I'm just wondering if the refresh next year will earn me a much better display if I wait till March 2017. I'm mainly getting it for Pro and Horizon in particular.

Anyway, if anyone has codes or info (Black Friday deals) it would be greatly appreciated. I'm usually at Best Buy or PC Richards for my tv purchases. Plan on getting something for Black Friday but I'm willing to wait till March/April if I'll get more bang for my buck

Great deal for whoever got in on that deal.

I purchased on saturday and already on the wall mounted.

Really just lazy to return and buy on samsung website etc.

Younger me would have done it. Ha Ha

Thanks for the code, but now Samsung is saying your company does not participate in the Samsung Save@Work Employee Purchase Program. Anyone know a way around this?

Edit: nevermind!

Rbk_3

Tried the KS8000 for two weeks and had to return it because the light bleed was just unavoidable. Especially because I play in my basement with low light at times ( more so when watching Netflix or blu rays). Also the pillaring of light was distracting. Imagine a loading symbol appearing in the middle of a black screen and a vertical shaft of washed out black accompanying it. I even tried bias lighting and all of the above was still noticeable.

I write all of this just to give warning to those planning to use this tv in a darker environment. I also admit I may have been unlikely in the panel lottery and got a panel that had more light bleed than normal. But when I returned the tv back to the store they said they had a few returned already with noticeable light bleed and even the display models it can be seen on as well. I also came from a plasma so I was much more sensitive to non uniform blacks than some may be.

So I ended up with the Vizio P series which has FALD and have been very happy with it thus far. Samsung might have had just a slight more pop in color but not enough to overshadow the other issues I had.

I'm the opposite, returned the P for the KS8000. The grey uniformity was atrocious on the 2 units I tried. Put the 10% slide built into the tablets calibration menu up and you'll see what I'm talking about if you have it. Very noticeable with solid grey/brown back rounds.

I had a 8500 that had terrible flash lighting and returned that for the 8000 which is an AA02 panel and it is perfect. As for the pilfering, I put bias lighting on the back and it is now unnoticable. There does seem to be a lottery in effect here though.

Think I'm gonna get the Samsung KS8000 55in. It's dropped to $1200 on Amazon. I'm just wondering if the refresh next year will earn me a much better display if I wait till March 2017. I'm mainly getting it for Pro and Horizon in particular.

Anyway, if anyone has codes or info (Black Friday deals) it would be greatly appreciated. I'm usually at Best Buy or PC Richards for my tv purchases. Plan on getting something for Black Friday but I'm willing to wait till March/April if I'll get more bang for my buck

You'll also pay a lot more in March, unless you're willing to wait it out till next fall when prices drop on the 2017 models. By that time though it'll be, "maybe I should wait for the 2018 in march?"

Are these codes US only?

You can order from Canada but have to ship to a US address

I just got an invite but when I try to fill out the info (creating a new password) and hit submit it says "this email belongs to someone else already" Any reason why this would be the case?

I have 5 codes to share. PM me your first and last name and email address! Make sure you dont already have an account with perksatwork!

So how accurate are the seating distance charts IRL? I'm about 10 ft from my 65" plasma currently and the charts I've seen suggest I would get no benefit from a 65" 4k TV at that distance.

I'm back and forth on this KS8000 deal as a result and would like to hear from others.

Yea I just notice I was actually. I now have access. How do I get the tv? I see the 55' for 1200 on there but how do i get it for super cheap?

on perks at work, search Samsung then click shop now. You'll be redirected to Samsung's site for all the discounts. Offer expires in 4 days and I am hoping some major Black Friday ads release prior to this

Wow!! Yeah unless I missed something, there was no 10x on your first purchase on Monday when I ordered. So just got the normal 6x.

Perks at Work is a very strange but really nice site it seems. They ran a car rental deal that had something like 15x bonus back on it. Prices were lower than any other discount that I could find outside of Costco but the points back made it worth it.

I have 3 invites if anyone needs one.

_RT_

Trying to upgrade an old plasma. If anyone can spare a code, I'd really appreciate it.
PM'ed a couple, but I'm guessing they are disappearing pretty quickly.

Top Bottom