• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I bought the KS8000... I see today it'll arrive on my birthday. Lol weird coincidence.

Do I need special HDMI for this? I ordered some HDMI 2.0 cables... just in case, but tbh I don't know what I need.

So I bought the KS8000... I see today it'll arrive on my birthday. Lol weird coincidence.

Do I need special HDMI for this? I ordered some HDMI 2.0 cables... just in case, but tbh I don't know what I need.

Cancel your order and just get the AmazonBasics that say "newest standard". They're completely compliant.

That KS8000 deal....whew. That's a good deal. I'm seriously tempted.

I'm going to hold out for a 4k tv that can do 120hz at 1080p though. For now I'll just grab the 40" 6290. After playing PC on a 144hz monitor for a while now, I don't want to go back to 60hz at the 1000+ price range.

rnaud

I'm thinking about getting a 65" 4K HDR TV.

Is there any word about the LeEco Super4 X65 TV? It seems it can be bought for $1,199 right now. That seems like a killer price?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, the KS8000 doesn't support 3D. Can't abandon my 3D Blu Ray collection for HDR.

bryanee

Anyone got first hand experience with these Samsung UE50KU6000 or Samsung UE49KU6400?

I'm trying to decide between the two and I'd like some impressions from people who may own on, especially in regards to the HDR and input lag.

Haines

Banned

Can anyone tell me which is the better of the two here?

I know the one is smaller but if u have to drop size for quality at budget price than so be it.

The one is on sale til tmrw.

I'm buying one of them so help a brother out.

KodaRuss

I think I am going to go to Best Buy on Saturday to see what kinds deal they have on the ks8000 and likely bite on it. Not sure if I should.wait until Black Friday though

MastAndo

Is the KS800 60" panel as good as the 55" and 65"? I saw earlier that some were mentioning it was manufactured by a different company than the others. 55" is fine for me size wise, but the legs are too wide for my TV stand. The adjustable ones on the 60" should work...or I may need to make the upgrade to the KS9000, mainly for the stand.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Rtings has retested the input lag on various Sony panels after the latest firmware update. HDR input lag is still on the high side of things but they did nearly cut it in half.

X930D

1080p @ 60Hz: 36.2 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 67.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode: 71.7 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 36.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz: 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 58.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR: 58.5 ms

X850D

1080p @ 60Hz: 34.6 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 68.7 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode: 71.2 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 34.6 ms
4k @ 60Hz: 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 57.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR: 57.4 ms

X930C

1080p @ 60Hz: 36.2 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 67.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode: 71.7 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 36.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz: 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 58.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR: 58.8 ms

X850C

1080p @ 60Hz: 35.3 ms
1080p With Interpolation: 65.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode: 71.3 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 35.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz: 58.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4: 58.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 58.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR: 58.1 ms

Purexed

Banned
Willing to send $10 in Amazon GC for a code. Looking to get a KS8000 for my bedroom. PM me if you have a code to part with!

lt519

Is the KS800 60" panel as good as the 55" and 65"? I saw earlier that some were mentioning it was manufactured by a different company than the others. 55" is fine for me size wise, but the legs are too wide for my TV stand. The adjustable ones on the 60" should work...or I may need to make the upgrade to the KS9000, mainly for the stand.

If you are a technophile, maybe? I've been browsing customer reviews on various sites and there has been no more/less problems with the 60" vs the 55/65". It is manufactured elsewhere but they have a quality standard. At most the few complaints I've seen have been about viewing angle decreased and some more cloudiness. And those are honestly the same complaints that people have with the 55/65". Too me its just technophiles trying to find fault in what was probably a bum set to begin with. Bum sets happen, it's manufacturing, there are defects. I doubt there is a noticeable difference between panels for an everyday user. I'm pretty picky and even after scouring the internet all day I've kept my 60" order.

Willing to send $10 in Amazon GC for a code. Looking to get a KS8000 for my bedroom. PM me if you have a code to part with!

Boooo, plently of people will give you one for free. There's like 100 available codes from this thread alone, most just aren't monitoring the thread. Send a few PMs. I actually sent out my 5 codes telling people they needed to pay it forward without charging.

Purexed

Banned
Boooo, plently of people will give you one for free. There's like 100 available codes from this thread alone, most just aren't monitoring the thread. Send a few PMs. I actually sent out my 5 codes telling people they needed to pay it forward without charging.

I have already, crickets in my PM box though... I'm hopeful someone is kind enough to pay it forward as you suggested!

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Not enough OLED in here.

Think I'll be picking up a 65B later this week at the newly discounted prices. woot!

I got a KS8000 like a lot of people here. Are there any resources for ideal settings for gaming and/or TV/movies?

Also, it's on a loft so I won't have a full surround system, but I am looking into getting a soundbar to improve my sound when I'm not using headphones. Any recommendations?

And lastly, I also have PSVR and this TV will be up on a wall, so I won't have easy access to the HDMI slots. Since I don't want to lose HDR when I'm not playing PSVR, what's the recommended way to juggle the connections? Just leave two cables on two inputs and just do the 'ole reach around to swap them out?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

lt519

I got a KS8000 like a lot of people here. Are there any resources for ideal settings for gaming and/or TV/movies?

Also, it's on a loft so I won't have a full surround system, but I am looking into getting a soundbar to improve my sound when I'm not using headphones. Any recommendations?

And lastly, I also have PSVR and this TV will be up on a wall, so I won't have easy access to the HDMI slots. Since I don't want to lose HDR when I'm not playing PSVR, what's the recommended way to juggle the connections? Just leave two cables on two inputs and just do the 'ole reach around to swap them out?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

rtings.com has good settings in general for TVs, start there and tweak towards your environment.

You aren't going to like the answer to the PSVR problem. I'm trying to deal with the same issue and short of spending $50 on switches and buying more hdmi2.0 cables your stuck with swapping.

MazeHaze

Banned
Can somebody PLEASE tell me the differences between these 3 tvs.

X850
Ks8000
Vizio p
Stay away from the x850, terrible contrast.

The vizio is good in 65 inch, but I find the picture to be more dull than the ks8000. Black levels on the vizio are better in 65 inch, and it does 120hz at 1080p for pc gaming. Input lag with HDR on the vizio is like triple the lag of the ks8000.

M.W.

Samsung makes some shit products. Came home turned on my 2 month old 4K tv and there's a small yellow vertical line right down the middle. They're sending someone out at some point to fix it.

Also bought a Samsung tablet earlier in the year (S2), nearly melted on me. Then the galaxy note issues...

No more Sammy for me

dabomb4944

Neo Member
If you are a technophile, maybe? I've been browsing customer reviews on various sites and there has been no more/less problems with the 60" vs the 55/65". It is manufactured elsewhere but they have a quality standard. At most the few complaints I've seen have been about viewing angle decreased and some more cloudiness. And those are honestly the same complaints that people have with the 55/65". Too me its just technophiles trying to find fault in what was probably a bum set to begin with. Bum sets happen, it's manufacturing, there are defects. I doubt there is a noticeable difference between panels for an everyday user. I'm pretty picky and even after scouring the internet all day I've kept my 60" order.

I am going back and forth on this myself. 65 is probably to big even if I do want that. So my decision now is between the 60 8000 or the 55 8500, just have to decide if I like the curved TV better.

night13x

I was looking at the 55 or 65 x930d from Sony. If I wanted hdr, awesome upscaler, great screen with 3d (I have a 3d collection) and somewhat at least acceptable input lag in hdr,is there anything better in that price range? I'm not really a fan of Sammy after having some bad apples with them and the ks8000 doesn't have 3d regardless.

In other words, if I get a 930d will I be happy? I am actually planning on doing some more research and visiting a best buy soon, but wanted some neogaf initial opinions if you guys don't mind!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Rtings has retested the input lag on various Sony panels after the latest firmware update. HDR input lag is still on the high side of things but they did nearly cut it in half.

Are they planning on checking out the Sony Z9 series of TV's any time soon? Would love to see what kind of input lag they have with the HDR on. Those Master Backlit sets are impressive looking.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Are they planning on checking out the Sony Z9 series of TV's any time soon? Would love to see what kind of input lag they have with the HDR on. Those Master Backlit sets are impressive looking.

No plans to test the Z9D but I've seen other sources that had it around 45ms with HDR enabled.

Purexed

Banned
How long does it take for orders to show up in My Orders from Perks at Work. No confirmation email either...

Nevermind, it just showed up.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Anyone willing to spare a code? Just moved into a new place and we are in the market for buying a new 60 or 65 inch Television. (I already pre-ordered the pro).

Mr_Moogle

Prices are total bullshit in Australia.

55 inch KS8000 would set you back about $2500. In terms of sales, the best deal you can hope for is a 20% coupon sale on ebay where the price might go down to about $2000.

The 65 inch is even worse. It costs $3600 before the discount.

I'm going to put off 4K TV's until the prices get more reasonable.

wtd2009

I really want to take advantage of this deal but I just can't right now. My 1080 TV is big enough but the picture quality is terrible. I'll just have to hold out until I buy a 4k tv maybe next year, then a pro next holiday. Maybe they'll be this cheap normally by then haha.

Formosa

I was looking at the 55 or 65 x930d from Sony. If I wanted hdr, awesome upscaler, great screen with 3d (I have a 3d collection) and somewhat at least acceptable input lag in hdr,is there anything better in that price range? I'm not really a fan of Sammy after having some bad apples with them and the ks8000 doesn't have 3d regardless.

In other words, if I get a 930d will I be happy? I am actually planning on doing some more research and visiting a best buy soon, but wanted some neogaf initial opinions if you guys don't mind!
After comparing my 930 with my ks8000. I like the 930 better, especially watch movies. The colors are more "real" then the ks8000. I don't buy tvs just for gaming, I also watch movies and shows on it. ks8000 is nice too, but overall, I like the 930d. It's also thinner too.

MazeHaze

Banned
After comparing my 930 with my ks8000. I like the 930 better, especially watch movies. The colors are more "real" then the ks8000. I don't buy tvs just for gaming, I also watch movies and shows on it. ks8000 is nice too, but overall, I like the 930d. It's also thinner too.
The 930 also has way higher input lag in HDR content. If you plan to play HDR games it's not an option imo.

Ryde3

Been on the fence about a 4K TV but if the KS8000 can be had at 50" or 65" for the prices your mentioning, could I please get a code?

I'm in Canada though, even with the conversion this sounds like an awesome price and it's from Samsung directly right. Can anyone share a code/let me know exactly what I have to do? I think I'm going to bite if I can get hooked up... even if it's the 50"

Plumpman

Just picked up the KS8500 55" from Best Buy.
Sweet deal, setting it all up now!

Edit: Is there a good source for recommended settings? There is so many I'm lost...

Formosa

The 930 also has way higher input lag in HDR content. If you plan to play HDR games it's not an option imo.
I've played TLoU in HDR yesterday and it seemed alright. I am pretty sure upscaled 4K with 30fps will run good on the 930/940 tvs. Reason is because I bet Sony tests PRO on the 930/940, it would be very embarrassing for them if they don't run well.

MazeHaze

Banned
I've played TLoU in HDR yesterday and it seemed alright. I am pretty sure upscaled 4K with 30fps will run good on the 930/940 tvs. Reason is because I bet Sony tests PRO on the 930/940, it would be very embarrassing for them if they don't run well.

I don't unserstand your argument? The game will run well on any TV, it's just that HDR games will have 60ms of input lag on the 930 vs 20 ms on the ks8000.

If you don't notice it, that's great, but plenty of people will, especially those playing with kb+m on their display.

Edit: also, sony isn't "testing pro", itd be the devs testing, and if theyre using a sony, theyd prob use the flagship z9d. Besides that, sony aren't the only people developing HDR games

Bottom line, if you care about input lag with HDR, the 930 is a poor choice.

x3sphere

Not sure if posted, but the editor of HDTVtest said this on his Twitter earlier today regarding the LG OLEDs:

Just installed & tested quite possibly the greatest public firmware update of all time for a TV. So much improvement. Well done!

Yes it's LG OLED. Still doing some testing, writeup will hopefully be up by Friday.

https://twitter.com/Vincent_Teoh/status/793421848264540161
https://twitter.com/Vincent_Teoh/status/793743577654366208

Sounds promising! Wonder if they've managed to lower the input lag in HDR.

Formosa

I don't unserstand your argument? The game will run well on any TV, it's just that HDR games will have 60ms of input lag on the 930 vs 20 ms on the ks8000.

If you don't notice it, that's great, but plenty of people will, especially those playing with kb+m on their display.

Edit: also, sony isn't "testing pro", itd be the devs testing, and if theyre using a sony, theyd prob use the flagship z9d. Besides that, sony aren't the only people developing HDR games
You are saying it's not an option. But I bet it will play just fine although the input lag is 3x high. You know why? I have my pc hooked up to the 930 and it plays just fine with my 1070 card with average 4K settings.

If you have actually read my post. I said the 930 is overall better because of the true colors. And I don't pick my tvs just for gaming.

You really don't think Sony wouldnt test their PRO on their own Sony tvs?

MazeHaze

Banned
You are saying it's not an option. But I bet it will play just fine although the input lag is 3x high. You know why? I have my pc hooked up to the 930 and it plays just fine with my 1070 card with average 4K settings.

I'm saying that 60ms isn't "just fine", it is poor. Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it's not an issue. I can't play competitive multiplayer at 40ms, let alone 60. Feels like moving underwater or something. It's not an option, especially for a 1600 dollar tv.

Formosa

I'm saying that 60ms isn't "just fine", it is poor. Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it's not an issue. I can't play competitive multiplayer at 40ms, let alone 60. Feels like moving underwater or something. It's not an option, especially for a 1600 dollar tv.
You think it's poor because of the number. But in reality it plays fine. I can ensure you because I play overwatch on it everyday on pc/tv.

I am no Sony fanboy. Like I said, I own both Sony and Sammy. My pick goes to the Sony for colors. It put lag may seem high for the Sony. But it plays fine and I am a fps gamer.

Top Bottom