• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a pre built RetroPi console ?

cryptoadam

Banned

Looking at this one and it looks neat anyone have excperience with these things? They also have other more expensive boxes

I am looking for just something simple that I can play older ROMs on. I am not really picky about latency or its not 100% emulated or there is a beep sound that doesn't have enough bass compared to the original etc...

Just want something to play every now and then that isn't to expensive and is already pre done.

It looks a little overpriced but if you don't want to bother flashing your own SD card, this is the way to go. I use a Pi myself and I really love it. Ebay is a good place to shop for these packages. Just search for Retro Pi.

TheContact

you can get the latest raspberry pi for for $30 USD. a case is around $5, an micro SD card around $5, power supply around $10. you have a bluetooth controller already you're good to go or you can find one for cheap on amazon. installing NOOBS and retroarch on the SD Card is a fun process in my opinion and there are many tutorials online for doing so.

I bought one on Amazon with 2 controllers and a memory card for about $60 I think. Easy to out together and use. Go for it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hey op , part of the fun is doing it yourself!
Give it a go.

You could always get a premade sd card if you fail horribly . : l

Last edited:
honestlyl, i've built one myself. 80$ isn't that bad for a prebuilt one with controllers, a case and hdmi cable. that case looks sick too. i'd just worry about the quality of it -- no reviews yet.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned

Looking at this one and it looks neat anyone have excperience with these things? They also have other more expensive boxes

I am looking for just something simple that I can play older ROMs on. I am not really picky about latency or its not 100% emulated or there is a beep sound that doesn't have enough bass compared to the original etc...

Just want something to play every now and then that isn't to expensive and is already pre done.

I built one myself a couple years ago.
Well, I used a 14-15inch TV, then a Raspberry Pie and one of the many many kits you can buy for the joystick and buttons.
This is a good starting point for the joystick/buttons :

It actually turned out really really well and it sits proudly in a corner in my dedicated sony console room.
The actual woodworking to cut the playwood into proper pieces is reasonably simple and you can find good youtube videos if you are hesitating.
All in all, you should budget ~150-200$ for it, with everything included. But it is a fun project and takes anything from a few hours to a few days to complete.

Last edited:
Top Bottom