• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying exclusivity not OK for Epic store, but fine for Sony and Microsoft?

johntown

Banned
Epic uses money to buy exclusively for multi-platform games. Sony and Microsoft do not do this (except for timed DLC which IMO is different).

Sony and Microsoft have exclusives games that they fully bankroll. If Epic has their own studio and wants to make games exlclusive to their store like Valve does with Half Life then there is no issue with that.

Can anyone in thread list one game that Sony or Microsoft bought exclusivity for that they don't own the studio that made the game?

EDIT: I was proved wrong. I forgot about FFVII Remake and FF games in general.

Last edited:

zombrex

Epic store has brought some much needed competition in the PC marketplace system.
If they had to buy it with money so be it.
Steam has been anything but a benevolent monopoly.
On too many occasions they have flagrantly broken the consumer laws of various countries and had to be brought to action by legal intervention.
There are also ongoing questions about consumer laws they continue to flout.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I think Epic Stores is overblown anyway. Unlike a console, which you have to pay up hundreds of dollars, you just need to download a new launcher.

That's why I will never understand the rage Steam fanatics get whenever something is on another store, at the end of the day you install the desired game on the exact same PC.

soulbait

Honestly, exclusives for an entire game for a period of time don't bother that much. I understand these types of deals helps the games get the funding they need to be made. It sucks to have to wait for the game if you cannot afford the box it is being made exclusive on.

What I can't stand for though is exclusive content for a game. Where if I buy the game on console X, I get less content than if I would buy the game on console Z. Destiny was a big offender of this, IMO. I did not have a PS4 at the time of when it came out, and I was mad that on Xbox I did not get the same amount of content. This was even more painful because the content in Destiny was lacking to start with.

I know MS had deals with Modern Warfare where it would get new maps before Sony did. I thought it was dumb as well, but was not as a big deal as the Destiny deal because the maps were only delayed by a few weeks, rather than over a year.

I just think there are better ways to advertise and drive sales to your console than limit content of a game that is available on other devices. When I pay the same amount of money for a game, I should be getting the same content as the platform counterparts.

Good point. I actually forgot about that one.
There are tons of other examples that I'm not interested in looking up, but these are the PS5 console exclusives that I assume are paid for to not release on Xbox.

Bugsnax (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)
Deathloop (Timed exclusive, also coming to PC)
Ghostwire: Tokyo (Timed exclusive, also coming to PC)
Godfall (Also coming to Epic Games Store)
Goodbye Volcano High (Also coming to Steam)
Jett: The Far Shore (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)
Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)
Little Devil Inside (Timed exclusive)
Oddworld: Soulstorm (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)
The Pathless (Also coming to PS4, Epic Games Store, and Apple Arcade)
Project Athia (Also coming to PC)
Stray (Also coming to Steam)
Solar Ash (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)

Last edited:

FStubbs

I think Epic Stores is overblown anyway. Unlike a console, which you have to pay up hundreds of dollars, you just need to download a new launcher.

You want Chinese government spyware on your PC? I don't.

I think that's how people see this.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Honestly, exclusives for an entire game for a period of time don't bother that much. I understand these types of deals helps the games get the funding they need to be made. It sucks to have to wait for the game if you cannot afford the box it is being made exclusive on.

What I can't stand for though is exclusive content for a game. Where if I buy the game on console X, I get less content than if I would buy the game on console Z. Destiny was a big offender of this, IMO. I did not have a PS4 at the time of when it came out, and I was mad that on Xbox I did not get the same amount of content. This was even more painful because the content in Destiny was lacking to start with.

I know MS had deals with Modern Warfare where it would get new maps before Sony did. I thought it was dumb as well, but was not as a big deal as the Destiny deal because the maps were only delayed by a few weeks, rather than over a year.

I just think there are better ways to advertise and drive sales to your console than limit content of a game that is available on other devices. When I pay the same amount of money for a game, I should be getting the same content as the platform counterparts.

Batman Arkham Knight has PS4 exclusive missions which initially appeared to be timed, bearing an "until fall 2015" sticker. That never arrived on other devices.

You want Chinese government spyware on your PC? I don't.

I think that's how people see this.

I dunno. The Chinese government surely has better things to do than collect data from players of games that'll never be approved for release in China.

thief183

Btw, I think 90% of the "gamers" that come to my shop have the Epic Store installed and not Steam, this makes you think.

MMaRsu

Banned
@
thief183 thief183

It makes me think those are casuals who cant even figure out how their pc works

Like my little cousin, he has a super expensive PC but doesn't want to change his own videocard or even RAM because he's scared he'll break something.

I tried telling him listen, it's plug and play you can't really do anything wrong. But he's just pigheaded and says Oh id rather pay a little bit of money to make sure its done right

LMAO What a chump

cireza

Sounds like shit all the time to me.

You resort to buying exclusives when you are not good enough to offer an attractive platform for the publishers. Build a better platform, a better console, and become the MegaDrive : most big third parties eventually went to the console without SEGA having to pay for it. This deserves the highest respect.

Last edited:

The_Dama

Yes it’s ok for everyone to buy exclusives.
People might not like it because they might not be able to play a game but it makes financial sense to businesses.

thief183

@
thief183 thief183

It makes me think those are casuals who cant even figure out how their pc works

Like my little cousin, he has a super expensive PC but doesn't want to change his own videocard or even RAM because he's scared he'll break something.

I tried telling him listen, it's plug and play you can't really do anything wrong. But he's just pigheaded and says Oh id rather pay a little bit of money to make sure its done right

LMAO What a chump

Ok, they are casuals, but their money is worth the same of ours, and they have 20 to 30 games bought each. What I'm trying to say is that Steam doesn't appeal to the new generation and in the long run Epic will "win".

Then again I really don't care, I buy where it is less expensive without caring about the store.

I did it. I lived long enough to see PC gamers make excuses for exclusivity. I'm glad to live in the future with all of you.

thumbnail

MMaRsu

Banned
Ok, they are casuals, but their money is worth the same of ours, and they have 20 to 30 games bought each. What I'm trying to say is that Steam doesn't appeal to the new generation and in the long run Epic will "win".

Then again I really don't care, I buy where it is less expensive without caring about the store.

How could Epic "win" with such a limited offering on how many games they have. And when most games still come to Steam, and are not allowed on Epics store?

First time I ran into a game that was exclusive to Epic, I downloaded the launcher, made an account and bought the game. Maybe I missed something but I don't understand the catastrophising and crying over it.

It's way, way easier to get an Epic exclusive on PC than it is to get an Xbox exclusive when you only have a PS4. In that way I would say it's way more acceptable for Epic to do it.

thief183

How could Epic "win" with such a limited offering on how many games they have. And when most games still come to Steam, and are not allowed on Epics store?

Well, in 5 years these kids will not be kids anyome and their library of games will be on another platform, and they will be cursing over the next store like we are doing today.

Also.... the Huge amount of games on Steam is almost a negative point.... (Given the quality of 90% of them)

Airola

System based exclusivity is different from store based exclusivity. The former is understandable, the latter is unnecessary bullshit.

Last edited:
As people already said,not only Epic is buying third party exclusivity but it is doing in the platform where gamers don't like exclusivity at all.

Exclusivity already exists on PC. Blizzard has their games exclusive to their launcher forever now and people say thats ok because it's their game. I don't see why 3rd parties who don't have the resources or desire to build their own launcher should be treated any differently. The motivation for keeping their game exclusive to any particular platform is exactly same.

That's why I will never understand the rage Steam fanatics get whenever something is on another store, at the end of the day you install the desired game on the exact same PC.
PC gamers worship Steam like a god. I'm convinced part of the reason they hate Epic so much is that they give more money to the people who made the game and have some really good sales and giveaways, so they can no longer claim that only Steam has amazing sales.

I mean I get it to a degree, Steam has been around for a long time and lots of people have developed an attachment to it. I don't feel any strong sort of way towards Epic or Steam, but if there's one thing Steam has it's a community willing to defend it to their graves.

I just think the whole thing is stupid and basically seems like PC's new version of a console war, this time with game launchers and stores.

thief183

I don't see why 3rd parties who don't have the resources or desire to build their own launcher should be treated any differently. The motivation for keeping their game exclusive to any particular platform is exactly same.

Totally agree, I'm starting to see more ppl thinking the same as me, I'm kinda happy today :)

MMaRsu

Banned
Well, in 5 years these kids will not be kids anyome and their library of games will be on another platform, and they will be cursing over the next store like we are doing today.

Also.... the Huge amount of games on Steam is almost a negative point.... (Given the quality of 90% of them)

No its not, the trash is shit you'll never see.Unless you go looking for it.

Those kids will grow up and want games that arent available on Egs. And they will see that Steam or Gog is just a way better platform.

MMaRsu

Banned
PC gamers worship Steam like a god. I'm convinced part of the reason they hate Epic so much is that they give more money to the people who made the game and have some really good sales and giveaways, so they can no longer claim that only Steam has amazing sales.

I mean I get it to a degree, Steam has been around for a long time and lots of people have developed an attachment to it. I don't feel any strong sort of way towards Epic or Steam, but if there's one thing Steam has it's a community willing to defend it to their graves.

I just think the whole thing is stupid and basically seems like PC's new version of a console war, this time with game launchers and stores.

Like you said, its almost becoming a console war

Thats because Epic wants to change the PC platform from an open platform to a closed platform where stores fight for exclusivity.

Thats all kinds of fucked up and if you defend it you are out of your mind.

Like you said, its almost becoming a console war

Thats because Epic wants to change the PC platform from an open platform to a closed platform where stores fight for exclusivity.

Thats all kinds of fucked up and if you defend it you are out of your mind.
Steam, Blizzard and Origin all have games on their stores that no one else has, or is allowed to have. There isn't even as much complaint about Origin as there is about Epic, and they're way worse and also owned by EA. I don't think PC has ever been the way you're describing, you just saw it that way until this point. What do Steam, Blizzard, Epic and Origin have in common? They're all companies, with millions of dollars, who want to continue making millions using whatever tactics make them money.

MMaRsu

Banned
But Steam going alone with all the games is not a problem.

What do you mean? Steam accepts all games. Epic doesnt.

Steam, Blizzard and Origin all have games on their stores that no one else has, or is allowed to have. There isn't even as much complaint about Origin as there is about Epic, and they're way worse and also owned by EA. I don't think PC has ever been the way you're describing, you just saw it that way until this point. What do Steam, Blizzard, Epic and Origin have in common? They're all companies, with millions of dollars, who want to continue making millions using whatever tactics make them money.

Steam has never bought up exclusivity for a game to be only released on Steam.

Publishers developing their own game and launching it on their own store is a very different thing.

Also Pc has never been an open platform, I just saw it that way?

Absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:

thegame983

It's anti consumer.

There is no benefit to the consumer for a game being exclusive to the epic store.

Having said that I will 100% be downloading and playing Total War: troy when it is free on the epic store come August

theclaw135

Banned
PC is headed in the direction of effectively being a closed platform. Except it's the result of widespread and overwhelming consumer preference for Steam. Once a supermajority of users exclusively use Steam, attempting to launch games elsewhere will be a futile endeavor.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
PC is headed in the direction of effectively being a closed platform. Except it's the result of widespread and overwhelming consumer preference for Steam. Once a supermajority of users exclusively use Steam, attempting to launch games elsewhere will be a futile endeavor.

But that's not the case though. And a lot of people want to have their games on GOG. Also steam doesn't force exclusivity, you have resellers and keys plentiful, so you still have a lot of choices where to buy a game from.

Yes Steam is still widely the most used store on PC, and for good reason.

theclaw135

Banned
But that's not the case though. And a lot of people want to have their games on GOG. Also steam doesn't force exclusivity, you have resellers and keys plentiful, so you still have a lot of choices where to buy a game from.

Yes Steam is still widely the most used store on PC, and for good reason.

Steam doesn't have to force exclusivity. That'll occur on its own.
All Steam needs to do is increase its usage share to the extent games have to be exclusive just because no other option is commercially viable.

Last edited:
I don't have much of a dog in this race because I unfortunately do not own a gaming PC. With that in mind yes it's perfectly fine for Xbox and Playstation because there is a clear divide not only in the community but also platform. PC is for the lack of a better term universal in the aspect that it doesn't matter what game client you're running you're still playing it on a PC. People bitching about installing another game client need to take a step back and realize that it's as easy as installing a new client and just running the damn game. For us console "peasants" we have to invest in an entirely new system. Financially speaking without intial investment it's just a cake walk for PC players... so stop whining about it.

Last edited:

GlockSaint

Sorry for the long ramble So it's bad for consumers to get free games? I don't really understand the freedom fighters in this thread. If you think this is a strawman argument think again, this is just a marketing scheme just as valid as handing out free games.

I genuinely didn't think there was anything wrong with the epic store or steam until i read what pc store fanboys raging about it, i mean most pc gamers have several launchers already, who cares about another one? Whether it feels ham fisted or disingenuous shouldn't really bother you, it's just a launcher, there are bigger things to worry about in life (that's how i look at atleast. I mean I'm a guy who finished Bioshock infinite and resident evil 5 on an intel hd 3000 lmao so my annoyance bar takes a lot to fill up haha.

What rustles my jimmies however is 3rd party console timed exclusives like nioh 2 why the fuck does it have to be ps4 only then eventually probably the pc will get one. It's just stupid. While i own a ps4 i like pc more for the performance, either way the developer will get money from me why do they sign these damn exclusives. Honestly why? Don't they have a bigger sales pool if they release for multiple systems?

MMaRsu

Banned
Just a launcher bro argument is so fucking tired. If you cant be bothered to not do any research or read the thread why Epic is bad for the pc marketplace, then why even bother discussing it with someone who chooses to remain willfully ignorant.

fine if it doesnt bother you, but dont shit on folks because they have standards you dont.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Valve loses customers when a game goes to Epic. If Steam refuses to partake in bidding wars, they're only benefiting Epic. (Epic won't have to pay as much money to secure the game's exclusivity)

Forsythia

There are tons of other examples that I'm not interested in looking up, but these are the PS5 console exclusives that I assume are paid for to not release on Xbox.

Bugsnax (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)
Deathloop (Timed exclusive, also coming to PC)
Ghostwire: Tokyo (Timed exclusive, also coming to PC)
Godfall (Also coming to Epic Games Store)
Goodbye Volcano High (Also coming to Steam)
Jett: The Far Shore (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)
Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)
Little Devil Inside (Timed exclusive)
Oddworld: Soulstorm (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)
The Pathless (Also coming to PS4, Epic Games Store, and Apple Arcade)
Project Athia (Also coming to PC)
Stray (Also coming to Steam)
Solar Ash (Also coming to PS4 and Epic Games Store)

It's really telling when games go (temporarily) exclusive it's almost always PS console exclusive as well as Epic exclusive. Both Sony and Epic love to moneyhat games. MS used to do it a lot, but not anymore, so at least that's an improvement. Nonetheless, it's shit when any party does this.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Valve loses customers when a game goes to Epic. If Steam refuses to partake in bidding wars, they're only benefiting Epic. (Epic won't have to pay as much money to secure the game's exclusivity)
That's not how that works though. Regardless of whatever PR spin is said sales on ES are nothing compared to what they would be on Steam. Devs/publishers take the free money from Epic and come back to Steam with a deep sale to try and recoup the lost sales.

Valve just has to provide a good service and people will continue to use them. All the features they add are just a bonus.

I think Microsoft will drop timed exclusivity altogether in favor of having some titles be on Game Pass day 1. Which is pretty big when you think about it.

V4skunk

Banned
I am not talking about "real" platform exclusives: games produced by game studios owned by the respective companies.

It is about grabbing an existing product, that would otherwise be available on all platform, and bribing it into not appearing on other platforms for some time.

So that kind of exclusives is fine for Sony, even though it forces many gamers to either spend money on buy that other console or wait for exclusiveness to expire.
Also OK for Microsoft, obviously.

But when that "evil" company, that routinely gives out games for free (and it used to be indies/superoldies but is now stuff like GTA V), gets only 12% of the price (vs standard 30%) does it, forcing gamers, god forbid, into choosing between installing some free software or waiting for exclusivity, it is diabolic kind of sinister?

Comrades, don't you think something is not quite fair in this picture?

PC is open, we don't accept being locked down like console plebs.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Epic should do more of it. Steam has been fleecing PC gamers for years with no exclusive content. So much so that a large portion of the hardcore master race have become console exclusive beggars. That's a telltale sign of unhappy consumers tired of generic multiplats.

No they haven't. Stop lying.

theclaw135

Banned
That's not how that works though. Regardless of whatever PR spin is said sales on ES are nothing compared to what they would be on Steam. Devs/publishers take the free money from Epic and come back to Steam with a deep sale to try and recoup the lost sales.

Valve just has to provide a good service and people will continue to use them. All the features they add are just a bonus.

I'd take the deal in a heartbeat. If Epic wants to pay me a wad of cash up front (guaranteed money) big enough to justify forgoing six months to a year's of sales on Steam (not guaranteed), more power to them.

Top Bottom