• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying the Playstation Portal without a preorder

DosGamer

So, I am curious if anybody knows of any brick and mortar stores I can walk in and purchase a playstation portal? I am without a debit/ credit card until my new one is mailed to me and that will be at least another 10 days. So, without the debit/ credit card I cant preorder online as I have to pay in cash.

Thanks for any help!

FrankWza

So, I am curious if anybody knows of any brick and mortar stores I can walk in and purchase a playstation portal? I am without a debit/ credit card until my new one is mailed to me and that will be at least another 10 days. So, without the debit/ credit card I cant preorder online as I have to pay in cash.

Thanks for any help!
Go to your nearest, biggest Best buy on release day and be there when it opens. They should have a few

DosGamer

Go to your nearest, biggest Best buy on release day and be there when it opens. They should have a few
That sounds like a solid idea. I cant imagine the demand for these being anything like the console itself, but I can imagine the quantity to be a lot lower...

FrankWza

That sounds like a solid idea. I cant imagine the demand for these being anything like the console itself, but I can imagine the quantity to be a lot lower...
Well someone just posted in the review thread that it is no longer available at PS Direct. It has been this whole time even though retailers were sold out. Show up a few minutes early and see if anyone else is waiting.

midnightAI

It's sold out everywhere in the U. S. As of this morning
Need to keep checking Direct, it was out of stock, but now in stock in the UK. But as for brick and mortar....... good luck (I actually dont think brick and mortar will be too bad, depends on your area etc. I managed to get a PS1, PS2, PS3 and Vita all from normal stores pm launch day (midnight in some cases), PS4, VR and Portal all online on launch also, so long as my Portal turns up tomorrow)

Edit: correction, PSP wasnt from a store in the UK, I imported from Japan on launch because it wasn't coming to the UK until months later, think I must have been one of the first in the UK, the looks and comments I used to get from people on the bus, ah, those were the days

Last edited:

midnightAI

Who the ass is buying this thing? Am I missing something?
everyone GIF

FrankWza

I was never able to find a suitable remote play solution. Either the configuration was off on the backbone-style adapters or phone was too heavy for a clip. I have a fold and the only available adapter needed to be connected via btooth. This way I get a completely dedicated device with an actual controller that is contoured. The only ommission that I want is back buttons so I'll add them when someone releases a mod.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the pre-order culture is crazy.
If You don't sit it out and luck out on a website sometimes, you have to wait for months.... but that was during covid. Maybe it's just for show nowadays

AALLx

Apparently there are people out there who can’t afford more than one TV in their household yet have no problem spending $200 on this thing.
What are you suggesting, putting two TVs side by side to each other, or hauling ass the PS5 to a different room everytime the connected TV is occupied?

schaft0620

Thanks for any help!

My guess is that Best Buy will have them at the end of the week or next week. I like Best Buy because you can search for up to 250 miles. I commute 40 miles so I can stop at any one of like 5 stores. Anyone who cancels their pre-order, that store will have stock.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Apparently there are people out there who can’t afford more than one TV in their household yet have no problem spending $200 on this thing.
There are People who live in the top 10 cities in the world where a square meter costs 15k on average.

It is a matter of space more than anything for lots of people.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Just saw this thread and made me wonder. I looked up BB, Target, and Walmart websites and no one even acts like they are selling it. BB site just says coming soon.

I pre-ordered but don't think it's arriving tomorrow. It hasn't even been shipped yet.

People who want to play their PS5 games on a handheld at home .....

Obviously there are better options to do that then this but they are either more expensive (Steam deck, Rog Ally,etc. via remote play) or have a crap screen/control option (backbone) in comparison to the portal.

DosGamer

I would dare say that places like Walmart and Target would do better in sales if they had a person in electronics that actually had a fucking clue. What in the world.. The people they have in charge of some of these departments leave you asking questions.

AngelMuffin

There are People who live in the top 10 cities in the world where a square meter costs 15k on average.

It is a matter of space more than anything for lots of people.
I was making a generalization. I’m sure ot makes sense for certain people. I just think it’s too niche and too expensive to be successful long term. I guess we’ll find out.

AngelMuffin

What are you suggesting, putting two TVs side by side to each other, or hauling ass the PS5 to a different room everytime the connected TV is occupied?
Uh, no. How about have your PS5 in a different room with an TV other than the living room.

Top Bottom