• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BYOB Parties -- Do you get to keep your B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

If you go to a party where it's been requested that everyone bring their own liquor or beer, is it appropriate for you to take remainder of said alcohol when the party's ended (assuming you still have 1/3 or more of the original amount)?

I've asked around and most people seem to say NO. "You don't want to look cheap." Some jerk throws a party and can't even be bothered to provide necessary refreshments, and I'm the cheap one? I'm cheaper than the jerk that will inevitably see a net profit (or at least net beer profit) on the whole affair because he can lay claim to everybody's leftovers? If I'm forced to bring my own I'd at least like to be able to buy something top-shelf and save the rest for later.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
why bring more than you can drink? If you only gonna drink 6 beers, buy six. I have never been in the position where there is unopened beer/drinks at the end of a party.

And the host is risking his home, his belongings in having a party. And he has to clean up. He ain't cheap.

Tamanon

Banned
border said:
If you go to a party where it's been requested that everyone bring their own liquor or beer, is it appropriate for you to take remainder of said alcohol when the party's ended (assuming you still have 1/3 or more of the original amount)?

I've asked around and most people seem to say NO. "You don't want to look cheap." Some jerk throws a party and can't even be bothered to provide necessary refreshments, and I'm the cheap one? I'm cheaper than the jerk that will inevitably see a net profit (or at least net beer profit) on the whole affair because he can lay claim to everybody's leftovers? If I'm forced to bring my own I'd at least like to be able to buy something top-shelf and save the rest for later.

Yeah, you've never thrown a party. Try cleaning up after one and see if you can find solace in a couple leftover beers.

Pimpwerx

Yeah, you can take the bottle, especially if there's a lot left. But I don't even bring a damn bottle. I did a couple of times last year, and it's for suckers. Don't throw a party if you can't afford booze, dammit. A keg is only like $40. PEACE.

No, alchol like food is a consumable. A $20 dollar bottle of liquor is a cheap price if the person is setting out the place and putting the people together. if you bring a bottle to a party that bottle should stay there. UNLESS it was not opened during the duration of the party. A party is about the people there not the about making a profit.

koam

Tommie Hu$tle said:
No, if you bring a bottle to a party that bottle should stay there. UNLESS it was not opened during the duration of the party.

No, anything you bring stays there. They're providing you the entertainment, if you want alcohol, host the party yourself.

Brobzoid

Pimpwerx said:
Yeah, you can take the bottle, especially if there's a lot left. But I don't even bring a damn bottle. I did a couple of times last year, and it's for suckers. Don't throw a party if you can't afford booze, dammit. A keg is only like $40. PEACE.

The host is risking his home, his belongings. And you can't be arsed to by some beer to drink because a keg is only like $40?

negitoro7

The unwritten rule is: Any food or beverage you bring to a party or get-together stays there unless it's a potluck and no one wants your mom's tuna casserole.*

*Unless the party host or hostess personally tells you to take your food or beverage with you afterwards.

Pimpwerx

Brobzoid said:
The host is risking his home, his belongings. And you can't be arsed to by some beer to drink because a keg is only like $40?
Our place was called The Crackhouse, but we always had booze of our own. It's fine to tell people to byob, but you can't seriously expect it. Meh, it might be the times. I was in college, and you can't expect college kids to be walking around with booze. Besides, you need booze to pre-game and post-game. And I don't care what anyone says, running out of booze at a party is the ultimate foul.

I don't believe in byob. I think it's a copout for people who want to party, but don't really want to party. They want to drink with no strings attached. Pfft, if you're gonna party do it right. Otherwise call it what it really is, a pleasant get together. PEACE.

border

Brobzoid said:
why bring more than you can drink? If you only gonna drink 6 beers, buy six.
This becomes a more difficult proposition if you like to drink good liquor, or if the beers get thrown into some communal cooler/fridge where at least a couple are going to get snatched by persons other than those that brought it.
The host is risking his home, his belongings.
I'm talking about gatherings of 10-30 normal people, not a bunch of rednecks or college douchebags that are going to trash the place. If it's a high-attendance college party they should be charging a cover to recoup repair/food/alcohol.

ToxicAdam

If you bring some wierd ass beer to a party (Dortmunder Harvest Summer' Limited Edition with Molasses), the host isn't going to want it cluttering up his fridge.

Real ballers travels wit 40's, yo!

Brobzoid

border said:
I'm talking about gatherings of 10-30 normal people, not a bunch of rednecks or college douchebags that are going to trash the place. If it's a high-attendance college party they should be charging a cover to recoup repair/food/alcohol.

that's a get-together. Hosting a party is a risktaker. If not, it's not a party.

Pimpwerx said:
Our place was called The Crackhouse, but we always had booze of our own. It's fine to tell people to byob, but you can't seriously expect it. Meh, it might be the times. I was in college, and you can't expect college kids to be walking around with booze. Besides, you need booze to pre-game and post-game. And I don't care what anyone says, running out of booze at a party is the ultimate foul.

I don't believe in byob. I think it's a copout for people who want to party, but don't really want to party. They want to drink with no strings attached. Pfft, if you're gonna party do it right. Otherwise call it what it really is, a pleasant get together. PEACE.

Your place was called the crackhouse, so I take it there wasn't a host? so it had to be byob? and you don't pre-game, post-game in the same spot as you party. that's ****ing redundant. vorspiel is held with a small group of friends at someone's house, then you go to the party(at this point you should be drunk, and have bottled at least 5 beers or 0,4l 40%). then party and get shit-faced. Then it's nach-spiel, and you go home with some mates and a couple of girls. nach-spiel is all about getting laid, and everyone should be drunk as hell, so no need for beer.

What's common practice is to chug your remaining alcohol of choice when you're hitting up the nach-spiel, leaving only the bottle(s) behind.

Tamanon

Banned
border said:
This becomes a more difficult proposition if you like to drink good liquor, or if the beers get thrown into some communal cooler/fridge where at least a couple are going to get snatched by persons other than those that brought it.

That's not a party. Sounds to me like you're just looking for a reason to bitch, just do what you want. BYOB, means Bring Your Own Booze. Doesn't say anything about taking it with ya. Shit man, show some love for your fellow peeps and don't care too much about getting all your money's worth for alcohol.

The only person who can end up looking bad in a situation like this is the person who takes his own booze back home with him/her. But I think it's fine to do sometimes. If I bring over a full bottle of Knob Kreek, and it's hardly touched... you bet I take it home. Does it all get drunk? Great--that's what it was for. Entertainment.

The host cannot look bad. The host doesn't even have to THINK about whether any booze will be left over. Your guests leave. You clean up. Hey, something's left. Good for you.

border

Tamanon said:
BYOB, means Bring Your Own Booze. Doesn't say anything about taking it with ya.
Bring "Your Own" implies that the booze is mine, and will remain as such. Let's at least change it to BBFM. Bring Booze/Bottle For Me.

Then again, BBFM sounds like some weird acronym you'd see on a dating website for fetish freaks.

yodandy

In my experience, if you bring it, obviously its yours, so take it home with you...

You better believe if I bring 6-7 beers and im about to hit another party, ill be chugging whatever I have on the way...

What solves this, is a keg or 8, and red cups for five bucks...

IF i bring beer to a place, and I dont finish it, I leave it. Im usually to drunk when im driving home to remember it. A girl I know sells everything she doesnt finish. A pack of smokes, beer, etc.

coldvein

Banned
If you buy something it's yours.
If you bring a bag of weed to a party and smoke half of it you don't leave the remainder there for the host. You bring it back home and smoke that shit on your own time. Same goes with beer, or anything else.

Stupid question.

border

If a party isn't a "party" unless it has 100+ idiots looking to get sloshed and trash the place, then I really don't care about the etiquette. Etiquette is what you do when people are watching you, and at a massive chaotic throwdown event nobody's really going to notice whether or not I sneak a bottle of Tanqueray back to my car. And even if they do, I probably won't care what some random stranger thinks of my drinking habits. I'm more concerned about looking cheap in front of co-workers or friends or potential networking contacts.

I'd additionally agree with Pimpwerx that it if you're going to throw a huge event then you're the one that looks tacky by making it BYOB. Go the distance or don't go at all. For smaller gatherings of less than 50, the BYOB policy (and etiquette in general) makes more sense.

sky

koam said:
No, anything you bring stays there. They're providing you the entertainment, if you want alcohol, host the party yourself.
Nothing really to add, but I support this idea. Consider those 1 or 2 bottles you leave behind as a gift, in thanks for the party invite. Stop being so cheap! :lol

xsarien

daedsiluap
You never, ever bring back the remainder of what you bring to a party. Beer, wine, champagne, anything. You bringing something is traditionally a way of saying "Thank you" to the host for throwing the bash in the first place; it has nothing to do with being cheap.

Hell, even if it's not explicitly stated that you bring anything, you bring something.

Christ people, this is basic God-damned courtesy.

sky said:
Nothing really to add, but I support this idea. Consider those 1 or 2 bottles you leave behind as a gift, in thanks for the party invite. Stop being so cheap! :lol

what if they forget to serve it?

angryfrank.jpg

"Aw, they didn't forget to put it out! It's deliberate! Deliberate, I tell ya!"

sky

I'd assume you would have some of the drinks that you brought (and hopefully offered a couple around in the process), and if not... so long as you've had something in abundance, all is well :lol.

puck1337

If you're under the legal age in your area, you can keep the booze. Even with older friends, parents, blah blah blah, it's still somewhat of a pain in the ass to procure, and most under age drinkers probably can't afford to be buying booze for other people.

If you're legal and you have any connection to the host, leave that shit at party when you leave.

Hmmm.... With these types of parties, it is understood that if you bought the beer, it's yours. But then again, I rarely do parties at any other place than my fraternity house.

border

I'll gladly accept the title of "tightwad penny pincher" if that's what it comes down to. What I'm asking is why it doesn't cut both ways? I'm the tightwad for wanting to keep good liquor that I paid for, but the host isn't a tightwad for forcing everybody to bring their own?

dem

I aint leavin half a 40 at someones house. **** em

If im drinking beer i'll just leave it though. Thats just a hassle.

C4Lukins

With good Liquor, and I mean something that costs more then 15 bucks a bottle, it is fine to take it home with you. You never take your beer back. People notice when you do, and they will hate you. What I typically do is bring enough beer for the people I am with, and a couple of extra, and then leave a twelve pack in the car in case the party runs out. Then when the party runs out, you leave and you still have some beer left, without looking like a prick.

Brobzoid

dem said:
I aint leavin half a 40 at someones house. **** em

why would you bring a bottle of 40 to a party that doesn't make you finish the bottle? Don't you people understand why there are different percentages available for purchase? It' so you can have a percentage that corresponds with the festivities.

dem

Brobzoid said:
why would you bring a bottle of 40 to a party that doesn't make you finish the bottle? Don't you people understand why there are different percentages available for purchase? It' so you can have a percentage that corresponds with the festivities.

what

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
There are some cheap bastards in this thread. If you bring something to a party, then you brought something to a party. It stays there. It doesn't leave with you. Come on now. I have brought a bottle of liquor to a party and it remained unopened at the end of the night as so many other bottles were there. Actually, the last house party I went to, I stayed to help clean up and the host offered me a couple of bottles that were left over. That was sweet.

dem

Brobzoid said:
you don't bring 40% to a get-together with 10-15 friends, etc.

What does alcohol% have to do with anything?
Why wouldnt I bring vodka to a party?

I was referring to a 40oz btw.

If you're hosting a party with more than 10 people, then a BYOB setup is beyond lame. Just get a keg and have people pitch in $5 or so. Works like a charm. And people view that keg as a neverending waterfall of alcohol and they'll most likely pitch in even more $$$.

If a party is BYOB and i bring a bottle of liquor, I am most definitely going to take the rest of the unfinished bottle home. BYOB parties are for bad party hosts. My roommates and I have had several large scale parties and have dropped large scale amounts of money on them so that everyone has an ample amount of booze. On that note, I'm keeping my ****ing booze if I have to buy it myself to drink at your house.

Jewbacca

Banned
BYOB YOU BRING IT IT STAYS YOU ASSHOLES.

If the case is 50%+ full you can take it home... Case being 12+
Otherwise keep it at the party.

Another thing the host isnt the penny pincher... he is offering a bunch of drunken ****ing idiots a place to drink, which puts him at liability if you jackasses do anything.

thats my take.

Edit: Liquor you can take home... its like drinking a 20oz of Dr. Pepper... its yours, as long as youre drinking from the bottle.

Kangu

Banned
I'm inviting everyone in this thread to Morton's Steakhouse for dinner. You all have to pay for your food though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom