• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CA: Civil War interview. Black Panther's motivations. Detailed description of climax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

SPOILERS!

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/02/captain-america-civil-war-splash-page

Edit: SPIDER-MAN SPOTTED

While visiting the set for EW, there was a particularly large battle going on involving many different characters from the film. Most of them, you know about already. But one, standing off to the side, was a stuntman wearing a very familiar red and blue suit that covered him from head to toe.

“Listen, if there was a cosplayer running around that set when you were there, I don’t know what to tell you,” Feige said.

Fair enough. But then, during the very same battle sequence, just hanging around off-camera, Robert Downey Jr. comes strolling by. He’s laughing and talking with his arm slung over the shoulder of a young man who, if Feige is right, is doing some pinpoint Tom Holland cosplay – and wearing a full Spider-Man suit, except for the mask.

Later, in an interview, Downey just spills it: “[Don] Cheadle and I are just going, ‘Wow, dude, look at this.’ We’re now like the old guard, and our storyline carries real weight just because of our history in the [canon]. But we’re also looking around like, ‘Who thought that Falcon and Black Panther and Ant-Man and now Spider-Man…?’ I mean it’s like wow, this thing is just crazy.”
“We did two screen tests with the character. We were pretty vocal about who we wanted for the part,” Joe says of Holland, praising his work in 2012’s The Impossible. “He’s fantastic. Amazing. It’s like Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun. Rarely do you see a kid carry a movie like that.”

The Russos also praised Holland’s physicality. “He’s also a dancer and a gymnast. He fits the part like you can’t believe,” Joe adds. “Another thing that we were really pushing for was to go young with the part. It’s the only way to differentiate it from what’s been done in the past. Get him as close as you can to the age that [the actor] is.”

Edit: More. Thunderbolt Ross is Secretary of State wtf. Sounds like Martin Freeman is definitely playing Everett Ross.

Here’s the scene: An elevator opens in the op-center, and Steve Rogers and his friend Sam Wilson, a.k.a. Anthony Mackie’s Falcon, walk out – with a silent T’Challa (the public identity of Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther) walking in front of them alongside the government attaché played by Martin Freeman. Scarlet Johansson’s Black Widow is with them, and she’s not saying anything either.

Something bad has gone down. Cap and Falcon were involved. It did not go well. They have handed over their vibranium shield and flying apparatus before being allowed access to this place. The pair look like they’re being sent to the principal’s office.

“You guys want to take a seat?” Widow says. “And try not to break anything while we fix this.”

Stark, who hasn’t yet had his beat-down, is on his cell phone with U.S. Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross (William Hurt) as Cap and Falcon step into the nerve center of the intelligence office. “No, Romania was not sanctioned by the accords … Col. Rhodes is supervising clean-up … Yes, there will be consequences …” Stark looks irritated, tired. “Obviously, you can quote me on that. I just said it.”

He hangs up, and beholds his Avengers.

“Consequences?” Cap says.

“Secretary Ross wanted you both prosecuted,” Iron Man answers. “I had to give him something.”

“I’m not getting that shield back, am I?” Cap says.

Black Widow walks ahead, joining Stark. “Technically it belongs to the government. Wings, too,” she says.

“That’s cold,” Falcon says.

Stark spins on his heel as the two walk away with T’Challa. He flashes a tight, unpleasant smile. “Warmer than jail!” he says.

Black Widow stuff.

This time, she’s on the side of order, aligning — at least for a while — with Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man in trying to get Captain America to honor the global Sokovia Accords that force “enhanced individuals” to operate under government control.

In one scene EW watched being filmed this summer, she and Tony Stark have a quiet moment after being given an ultimatum to bring down the rogue Cap — or else the U.S. government will do it in permanent fashion.

Stark rubs at the center of his chest, where his ARC reactor was once embedded. “You know the problem with a fully functional heart…? It’s stressful,” he tells Natasha.

She’s all business: “We are painfully understaffed.”

“It’d be pretty awesome if we had a Hulk,” he tells her.

Panther stuff.

Black Panther commands respect. (And you definitely don’t want him against you.)

The historic first black comic book superhero will be getting his own stand-alone movie in February 2018, but we’ll first encounter Chadwick Boseman’s warrior-prince on May 6 in the clash between heroes in Captain America: Civil War.

Panther is a key figure in the conflict between Chris Evans’ Cap and Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man, and his allegiance is in flux — although he’s got serious issues with Sebastian Stan’s Bucky Barnes, a.k.a. the Winter Soldier, which steers him alongside the man in the iron mask.
For the uninitiated, Black Panther, whose real name is T’Challa, is a prince from the fictional African nation of Wakanda, a technologically advanced nation that’s home to the world’s largest natural supply of vibranium — the same malleable-yet-indestructible metal that comprises Cap’s shield. Black Panther is not just a badass secret identity; in the comics it is a title passed down through the generations of rulers.
In Civil War, T’Challa is drawn into the conflict between Cap and Iron Man that arises from the Sokovia Accords, which were enacted by world leaders after the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron as a way to mandate control over those with “enhanced abilities” who say they only want to do good for the world.

“There definitely is a sort of tradition that he’s torn between, in terms of how things were done in the past and how things need to happen now in this new world,” says Boseman, who’s best known for playing James Brown in Get On Up and Jackie Robinson in 42. “I think there’s perhaps a bit of a maverick there, and then there’s also a need to live up to traditions and his father’s legacy. And not even his father’s legacy, but the entire nation of Wakanda. I think those are the things you will see.”

Under different circumstances, Steve Rogers, another warrior whose very identity represents his country, might find common ground with Panther.

“I love our scenes together because I do think they feel a sense of responsibility. I think they’re both very selfless people,” Evans says. “They want the right thing, no one’s irrational, no one has an inflated ego.” (That’s got to be a dig at Iron Man, by the way.) “They’re family-first people,” Evans says. “I think outside of the suits we’d be friends, Steve and T’Challa.”

Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios and creator of the interlocked series of movies (Civil War is No. 13, for those keeping track), says Panther was added to the story ahead of his solo-movie debut because Civil War needed someone who had his own agenda, who was a third party separate from the factions that aligned themselves behind Captain America and Iron Man.

“We kept talking about ‘somebody like Black Panther …’ After the third or fourth time that came up in a development meeting, someone said, ‘Can’t we just do the Black Panther?’ And we all looked at each other and said, ‘Yeah, I guess we could,’” Feige says. “We introduce him here, give him an arc, and make him a full character. We don’t just give him a cameo, to wave. He has his own conflict and his own people that he’s looking out for.”

Executive producer Nate Moore calls T’Challa “the undecided voter”: “He’s someone who hasn’t necessarily made up his mind about either side and whose agenda isn’t exactly what Cap’s agenda or what Tony’s agenda is. And I think that brings him into conflict weirdly with both characters at different times in the film. He is the prince of an African nation that has so far stayed very much sort of in the shadows. And eventually the film will draw him and his father out of the shadows.”

The movie version is also not the same Black Panther fans now see in comics, almost 40 years after his creation. “In publishing, he is sort of this very wise and a sanguine figure who seems to know more than he lets on,” Moore says. “I think this is Black Panther in his younger years, where he maybe is a little bit more fiery than I think how they write him in the comics because he’s very much in the nascent stages of being a hero. So that means he is probably more fallible than the Black Panther that you read in comics, but for reasons that are completely logical.”

Black Panther helps draft the Registration Act Sokovia Accords!

“In most of the movies, there’s no question who we should be siding with,” Evans says during a break between shots. “We all agree Nazis are bad, aliens from space are bad. But this movie’s the first time where you really have two points of view. There’s really no wrong answer here and it’s just a matter of who we are as men: Tony Stark and myself. Which side of the aisle do we come down on? So it’s hard for [Cap]. It becomes a question of morality and I don’t think he’s ever been so uncertain with what right and wrong is.”

In this film, the new Avengers — seen assembling at the end of Age of Ultron — take on an old enemy: Frank Grillo’s Crossbones, last spotted getting a building dropped on his skull in 2013’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier. But… the takedown goes wrong. A lot of people die. A lot of innocent ones.

After all the chaos and catastrophe witnessed in the previous films, the world finally has had enough. Government officials from around the globe assemble to enact accords that would clamp down on those with super-human skills. One man helping form the new laws is a young leader named T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) from the fictional African nation of Wakanda, who has a secret identity himself — the long awaited Black Panther.

But Cap has seen too much corrupt authority in his (unnaturally) long life. He ain’t marching anymore.

qFMx5XN.jpg

Play-by-play description of the climactic showdown between the two teams.

The crew called their big scene the “Splash Page.” That’s the comic-book term for a full-spread illustration that either opens a story or marks its climax.

For Captain America: Civil War, this was the moment they filmed an epic throwdown between two teams of heroes: the forces of Chris Evans’s red, white, and blue soldier on one side, clashing against the warriors aligned with Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man on the other.

There are other familiar heroes aligned alongside Cap and Bucky (mild spoiler warning): Anthony Mackie’s Falcon, Paul Rudd’s Ant-Man (although today it’s a stunt double in the mask), Elizabeth Olsen’s Scarlet Witch, and Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye.

captain-america-civil-war-iron-man.gif

Leading the opposite side is… nobody. Iron Man and Don Cheadle’s War Machine will be flying toward them, so they’ll be added digitally later. But an equally impressive team of iconic characters is arrayed alongside him, preparing to face down Cap and Co.: Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow and Black Panther (also a stunt double) among them.

Directors Joe and Anthony Russo yell action — and that’s what’s unleashed. The good-guys charge each other in a savage beat-down.

While Black Widow gives an all-out thrashing to Ant-Man, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch blast away at the sky — him with his trusty bow and arrows, her with her mystical red energy pulses. They’re trying to knock some unseen threat out of the air. (It’s hard to tell which visual effect they’re imagining.)

It’s definitely not Iron Man. He’s flying low and locked onto another target: Captain America. Evans raises his shield, slings an upper cut through the air, and gets in one more hit against his invisible foe before he’s almost taken out in real life.

The main camera is on a crane, and it swoops down on the battle scene — following Iron Man’s descent — until it’s right in Evans’s face. The actor has to dive out of the way at the last second to avoid being clobbered.

After a few more takes, Evans comes over to the video screens to check out the shot, laughing at the fact that each one ends with an extreme close-up of his panicked face, dodging the camera. “I can’t keep throwing punches when that’s so close,” he says. The Russos come up with a solution: Go ahead and drop back.

The shot will end with Iron Man knocking Captain America to his knees.

But he’s not going to stay there.

Platy

1) Captain America didn't had a long life.... he basicaly teleported to the present days

2) This is not the first movie with a grey moral area on both sides =P
(also the

That said .... HYPE ! =D

I thought T'challa's identity wasn't secret, like it's a well known thing.

Surprised they're revealing so much.
Yeah, I think it probably isn't a secret but it's the way the article is written.

Panther makes the most sense here as he's a superhero and leader of a government so it'd probably be annoying as all Hell having The Avengers running around.

Afterward, Spider-man swings in and takes out Black Widow, saying "I thought I was the only one here with a spider gimmick!"

hyuk hyuk

f0lken

Come on, Ant-man should give everyone a run for their money. and is Black Widow the one that beats him? lol

Relatively large issue here: S.H.I.E.L.D. logo on that card means their existence is revealed?

Is Colson going to make an appearance?

Oersted

So Black Panther shares the opinion of the public or... what? Article isn't really clear on his motivations.

Edit:

And why the hell are they beating each other up?

Fury451

Banned
Black Widow beats Ant-Man...she is comically overpowered while Gamora got nerfed bad. No justice.

Ant-Man would kick Widow's ass, let's be honest.

Truth. She has wicked heavy plot armor after Ultron I guess. She seemed pretty realistic in Winter Soldier though.

Sounds interesting enough, I'm not sure I really buy Blank Panther's motives in this, but they're not really clear based on the article either.

Johndoey

Banned
So Black Panther shares the opinion of the public or... what? Article isn't really clear on his motivations.
Like Slayven said straight up his only interest is Wakanda. Panter don't care what makes some politicians feel safer at night he's helping to limit the power of the supers so they can't fuck with his homeland.

hopefully coulson never shows his face again in these movies. the greatest thing Whedon ever did was ice him from the movie-verse.

article is surprisingly revealing a lot for a movie 6 months away.

border

(Question from a non-comic reader)

Isn't Scarlet Witch a bit overpowered for this matchup?

In Age of Ultron it made sense that she couldn't psychologically manipulate an army of robots. But here it seems like she could bring any normal superhuman to the brink of insanity and effectively disable them.

Saya

While Black Widow gives an all-out thrashing to Ant-Man, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch blast away at the sky — him with his trusty bow and arrows, her with her mystical red energy pulses. They’re trying to knock some unseen threat out of the air. (It’s hard to tell which visual effect they’re imagining.)

Spidey?

Fury451

Banned

In Age of Ultron it made sense that she couldn't psychologically manipulate an army of robots. But here it seems like she could bring any normal superhuman to the brink of insanity and effectively disable them.

It kind of depends on how much they portray her power set from the comics, but theoretically yeah she should be pretty overpowered, at least in this context.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Makes sense T'Challa helps write the "act", Hulk and Tony fucked up his country.

Fury451

Banned
Wait Ant Man will make an appearance? Did we know this already?

Pretty sure he was listed as a Cap teammate some month's back. They also had the teaser at the end of Ant-Man where Falcon presumably references him as his "guy" that he knows that can help.

Johndoey

Banned

Witch historically doesn't have fine control of her powers because she's that ludicrously powerful. She can't go all out on her former allies because they would be trace carbon afterwards. She's actually very limited for practical uses. And of course they are her friends after everything's said and done she won't mind fuck them.

No way. I'd say Spidey would probably just a glorified cameo, like a cutaway during a press conference to see reactions or something like that. I'd wager that Marvel put Spidey in there just as a watercooler hype moment to last people till 2017.

I hope they prove me wrong.

Slayven

Witch historically doesn't have fine control of her powers because she's that ludicrously powerful. She can't go all out on her former allies because they would be trace carbon afterwards. She's actually very limited for practical uses. And of course they are her friends after everything's said and done she won't mind fuck them.

I hope they work in "Winds of destiny change"

anaron

BW is one of the best fighters and you're doubting her being able to take down a dude who can shrink and summon insects? lol

BW is one of the best fighters and you're doubting her being able to take down a dude who can shrink and summon insects? lol

Seriously not sure why people are surprised. Widow is an extremely skilled assassin. Scott has great powers but can't fight as well. His best gimmicks would kill her and obviously he's not trying to.

Johndoey

Banned
You mean the dude in one of the most powerful pieces of military hardware ever created who can retain his full strength at near sub atomic sizes? Yes that dude can probably take the woman whose ability is fight good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom