• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California father dies after tooth infection spreads to lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadin

I've read about how it's very possible for infections in your mouth to travel to other places if they're bad enough but I've never seen a recent story of this happening.

Over the past few years I've had some issues with my teeth but I've been lucky to get them addressed as soon as they popped up. If you're feeling pain and especially if you're swelling up, get in immediately!

A 26-year-old father died after a tooth infection spread to his lungs, the man's grieving wife told KTXL.

Vadim Kondratyuk Anatoliyevich, a truck driver, complained of a toothache when he left Truckee for New York two weeks ago, according to the report.

During the trip, he stopped in Oklahoma and visited a dentist, who cleaned the infected tooth and prescribed antibiotics, according to his widow, Nataliya. His condition improved initially, but she told KTXL the infection worsened and his mouth swelled up.

Eventually, Kondratyuk Anatoliyevich became too weak to drive, so his brother drove to New York to drive him home. They made it to Utah before checking into a hospital.

Four days later, Nataliya said she received devastating news from a doctor about her husband's condition.

"The doctor said, 'Tonight is the night he's going to die, because we did everything we can and nothing seems to work.' It's just the bacteria and the infection keeps growing to his lungs and they can't clean it out," she told the station, wiping away tears.

http://fox17online.com/2017/01/31/california-father-dies-after-tooth-infection-spreads-to-lungs/

Air

Banned
I recall reading that tooth health is an accurate indicator of bodily health, so if your teeth are infected, there's a good chance it can spread throughout your body.

Take care of your teeth people

Yeah, tooth infections are nasty

Andy Halett, who played Lorne in the Angel series, suffered from a dental infection that reached his heart, he later died(3 years later) from hearth complications :X

Infections are scary.

We had a work colleague based in Canada who got a flesh eating disease and ended up in a coma.

Just seems so random sometimes.

R.I.P.

I brush my teeth every day and floss occasionally. What else should I be doing?

Please don't say floss every day.

Air

Banned
R.I.P.

There was a study taht said flossing wasn't as effective as we were led to believe, but I don't think it can hurt.

My regime is:

Floss nightly
Waterpik 2x a day
Brush 2x a Day
Tongue brush 2x a day
Rinse 2x a day

Kadin

R.I.P.

Just be sure you go in whenever something happens that's out of the norm. Any sensitivity to hot/cold should be a sign as well as pain of course. It might only be a cavity but the longer you have a hole in your tooth where bacteria can get in, the more likely something bad could happen.

But based on what you're saying, if you're not bleeding all the time while flossing and have no pain, you're prob doing things fine. And get them cleaned and examined at least once a year, if not twice (depending on insurance).

hirokazu

Yep. Anyone who has a heart condition are told to take antibiotics before any sort of dental procedure that may result in bleeding.

Lately I am forgetting to brush my teeth before bed, but hit it with mouthwash and brushing when I wake up.
I don't floss as much as I used too

How fucked am I?

Iorv3th

I need to go to the dentist bad. I am going to schedule something tomorrow. Haven't been in 8 + years.

I brush, mouthwash, and waterpik but still...

Achtius

There was a study taht said flossing wasn't as effective as we were led to believe, but I don't think it can hurt.

My regime is:

Floss nightly
Waterpik 2x a day
Brush 2x a Day
Tongue brush 2x a day
Rinse 2x a day

+1 for waterpik, best thing since slice bread for at home oral hygiene

Kadin

I need to go to the dentist bad. I am going to schedule something tomorrow. Haven't been in 8 + years.
This was me a few years ago. I never went in because to be honest, I'd done an adequate job of cleaning them myself (I thought) and never had any symptoms of shit going on.

Then one day I had pain. 3 years later I'm still having various work being planned. I've lost one tooth (back upper molar) and do have periodontal gum disease so I have to get deep cleanings which aren't too bad. But they ain't cheap and they're twice a year.

Don't be me. Get in and get looked at. Your health and wallet will be a lot happier the sooner you get any potential issues addressed versus waiting until they become emergency situations.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
R.I.P.

4ZQjipI.jpg

Replaces your toothpaste and mouthwash.

kingocfs

One of my wisdom teeth became infected on a weekend trip a couple of years ago. It was the strangest feeling of malaise...weekend was like one long fever dream sans the actual fever.

Went to the dentist that Monday, got antibiotics, and all 4 wisdom teeth came out a week later. Don't fuck around if you have a tooth ache, get that shit looked at.

Volimar

That's scary. I have an infected tooth, but I can't get into the dentist for two months. I see my normal doctor on the 9th. Hopefully he can give me antibiotics.

Tigress

My regime is:

Floss nightly
Waterpik 2x a day
Brush 2x a Day
Tongue brush 2x a day
Rinse 2x a day

No, the study said we don't know if flossing is important. It actually didn't say that flossing was not I,portent. A lot of people missed that detail.

I don't see why people are so against flossing anyways.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Had a cracked tooth early last year that led to it becoming infected and eventually removed. Saw a dentist immediately the moment I felt discomfort before being aware of how bad the situation was, and boy did it escalate.

I think the 24 hours I endured dealing with an infected tooth before having the removal procedure was the most intense pain I ever experienced in my life. None of the discomfort of having a root canal to try and save the tooth and eventual removal(upon realizing the tooth is beyond saving), compared to how vicious that bacteria infection felt.

Thankfully I jumped on it fast and got it all fixed.

jblank83

Any bacterial infection anywhere can spread. The mouth has access to lots of routes of transmission, from inhalation to lymphatics.

Point of Story: take care of your teeth.

Yeah most people don't know this can happen. As someone with a heart condition whenever I have any kind of dentist appointment I have to take an antibiotic an hour before. Apparently people with heart issues are more susceptible to this happening, but it can happen to anyone. RIP :(

Draft

Teeth are an aspect of my health I take very seriously. My goal is to live a long, satisfying life and to die in my old age with all of my original teeth.

Every six months, the dentist. Brush and floss twice a day. Simple stuff, but very important.

A lot of people don't realize that tooth disease can easily spread to parts of the body not associated with the mouth.

You do not fuck around with your gums or teeth.

Dabanton

Yep take it from someone who used to get multiple tooth infections including one so bad the only relief was running a cold bath and submerging myself. It's always worth the price to keep your teeth in order.

The sooner the better, as the longer you leave it...

vainya

Neo Member
I came in for a routine filling and when the dentist opened the tooth up, it basically disintegrated. He fills it anyway. A few weeks later I'm experiencing all kinds of symptoms. Turns out my tooth was infected and the infection spread into my bloodstream. If I would have gotten a root canal in the first place, this wouldn't have happened. But the insurance probably wouldn't have covered it so...

Well he actually went to the dentist so I'm not sure this a case of neglect.
If it got better initially, maybe he stopped using the antibiotics? You have to take them longer as otherwise the bacteria will grow back with full force.

There might be more to that story anyway, a 26 year old dying from a secondary (?) Bacterial infection seems like a freak accident almost.

RedHill

Banned
My regime is:

Floss nightly
Waterpik 2x a day
Brush 2x a Day
Tongue brush 2x a day
Rinse 2x a day
It gets gunk out of your teeth... It is very affective at doing that. Please nobody stop flossing

saelz8

Well he actually went to the dentist so I'm not sure this a case of neglect.
If it got better initially, maybe he stopped using the antibiotics? You have to take them longer as otherwise the bacteria will grow back with full force.

There might be more to that story anyway, a 26 year old dying from a secondary (?) Bacterial infection seems like a freak accident almost.

Of course. This isn't common, especially for someone his age. Sure, it's scary, but get your annual checkup. Brush. Floss. You should be fine.

OP will scare a lot of people though.

My wisdom teeth should have came out a while ago so seeing this is pretty much making me set up the appointment. Doesn't help I'll be 26 in a month

BRUSH YOUR TEETH AND FLOSS, FOLKS.

This is an awful story. Take care of your mouth to avoid something like this. Also, take care of your mouth in order to keep your medical bills down.

Oh man.

I have an impacted wisdom tooth that got infected a year and a half ago and had to take amoxicillin. I know I should get it extracted but I didn't have the money and was denied the payment plan offered to me. I haven't had any pain/issues since and have used antiseptic mouthwash daily since then, but I'm terrified this could happen to me and I guess I should find a way to get it pulled soon, but I'm really out of luck.

bardia

People here need to stop freaking out. This is EXTREMELY rare to happen. Worst case I have ever seen in my chair is someone having Ludwig's angina, which is essentially infection spreading into your facial spaces around your throat, and it kills you cause your airway closes.

This guy's tooth was probably in horrendous condition and he neglected it for a very long time to allow the infection to spread that bad. Also the part about the dentist "cleaning the infection" makes little to no sense. Was the tooth removed or root canal'd? Or did he just prescribe antibiotics, in cases this bad patient should've had IV antibiotics instead of just plain oral ones.

Kadin

My wisdom teeth should have came out a while ago so seeing this is pretty much making me set up the appointment. Doesn't help I'll be 26 in a month
Are you having problems with them? I wouldn't be too worried unless they're pushing your other teeth or you're having pain symptoms. It might not be terribly common but I believe there are people who live perfectly fine with them left in.

Damn, I'm the same age and just yesterday had my wisdom teeth removed because I had a very painful infection in one of them. I'm glad I got that taken care of or this could have happened to me.

Oh man.

I have an impacted wisdom tooth that got infected a year and a half ago and had to take amoxicillin. I know I should get it extracted but I didn't have the money and was denied the payment plan offered to me. I haven't had any pain/issues since and have used antiseptic mouthwash daily since then, but I'm terrified this could happen to me and I guess I should find a way to get it pulled soon, but I'm really out of luck.
If you don't have dental insurance look into a dental plan. I got one for $10 a month that cut my wisdom teeth removal by 3/4, and will do the same for the stuff I have to have done for my gum disease. I got mine from dentalplans.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom