• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California father dies after tooth infection spreads to lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

Seems like a tragedy that couldn't be avoided. RIP.
You mean, instead of getting to the doctor in NY versus driving to Utah?

Or avoiding the trip when he started to have symptoms?

I meet too many people who are more concerned about their job than their health. People with major diseases/surgeries who want to know if they can get back to work in the next few days.

So, I'm a little skeptical about the trucker not getting to the doctor soon enough. The dentist was the first visit and i have questions.

Would it have been better to see his regular dentist? Does he have a regular dentist? Does he have insurance? Why have his brother drive him back from NY? Do any of these answers impact each other? If he didn't have insurance, did he decide to take his chance trying to get back home? Are you less likely to access health care if you don't have insurance?

A lot of those questions are presumptuous but his actions bring up questions. And our health care system pushes people to make these terrible decisions.

Not jumping on you but this is horrible, especially for his kids and wife.

Are you having problems with them? I wouldn't be too worried unless they're pushing your other teeth or you're having pain symptoms. It might not be terribly common but I believe there are people who live perfectly fine with them left in.
Pieces of my bottom 2 wisdom teeth have broken off, I keep a cleaning routine but I've put off getting them removed for a long while.

Baleoce

After previously being lazy and suffering the consequences, a few years later and I now floss every day without fail. Usually my dentist says to arrange for every 6 months to check up, but nowadays she wants to only check them once a year and is amazed at how well I maintain them. I still remember the raw pain of the infection from back then. It was something else. First time I literally felt like ripping my teeth out. And then there was the anaesthetic that wouldn't work during the root canal. I have to admit, I was not aware at the time of the potential dangers from tooth infection. That is a very sad story and a sobering lesson.

Air

Banned
No, the study said we don't know if flossing is important. It actually didn't say that flossing was not I,portent. A lot of people missed that detail.

I don't see why people are so against flossing anyways.

It gets gunk out of your teeth... It is very affective at doing that. Please nobody stop flossing

I'm not advocating against flossing lol. That study didn't dissuade me from doing so. I think it's an important addition to good mouthcare. If I was wrong about the contents of the study I apologize for the misinformation. It's been a while since I read it

RMI

Banned
had an infection that subsequently ended in wisdom tooth removal and it was NOT fun. Once the side of my face started swelling I knew I had to do something right away.

take care of your mouth.

Codeblue

4ZQjipI.jpg

Replaces your toothpaste and mouthwash.

is this legit

The reason toothpaste is effective is because it's abrasive. It doesn't melt the plaque off your teeth and the bristles alone don't do the job. The effects of fluoride are just an added benefit.

I've never heard of OraMD, but if it's just liquid as it appears I'd caution you. Further, it looks like it's missing the ADA seal which means the claims the manufacturer is making about it replacing toothpaste and mouthwash have not been independently verified by the American Dental Association.

Again, never seen or used the stuff, but looks sketchy.

Drazgul

If you want something that's truly effective, get a mouthwash with chlorhexidine in it. It can and will stain your teeth, but it's also something that actually works. OTC everywhere, I believe.

The staining actually comes from disintegrating bacteria, so you get to witness the evil bacteria genocide first hand. Totally metal.

Whales

Banned
Using mouthwash, or some liquid products is absolutely useless if you do not brush, by the way. The mechanical movement to remove the bacteria is 99% the most important thing

Brush your teeth at least 2x per day, floss at least once ( I know... it's annoying, I don't even do it myself) and use mouthwash enriched with fluoride and your oral health will be perfect

RIP to the father

JJH

Tooth infections are no joke. I work in a hospital and you'd be surprise of how many patients I've seen that were being treated by infectious disease doctors. Take care of your teeth people and see a dentist that's reputable.

He had diabetes as well which is the perfect environment for stuff like this to happen so people should relax a bit but still take care of their bodies and teeth and stop using gaf as your doctor.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The reason toothpaste is effective is because it's abrasive. It doesn't melt the plaque off your teeth and the bristles alone don't do the job. The effects of fluoride are just an added benefit.

I've never heard of OraMD, but if it's just liquid as it appears I'd caution you. Further, it looks like it's missing the ADA seal which means the claims the manufacturer is making about it replacing toothpaste and mouthwash have not been independently verified by the American Dental Association.

Again, never seen or used the stuff, but looks sketchy.

Its an blend of almond, peppermint, and spearmint oils. My teeth have never felt so clean as right after brushing with it. The bristles are enough to make the surface of my tooth squeaky clean. If you want abrasion you can use baking soda.

As to how effective Oramd is i can only say this: ive been using it as a toothpaste replacement for over a decade. ive not had any kind of oral issues since. Not a single cavity or blood or tooth pain that entire time. Before this i had massive teeth issues despite undergoing an intensive daily regimen of dental hygiene to no avail.

edit:
amazon reviews lol
i figured people trusted verified purchaser reviews on Amazon? i didnt know they were lol-worthy.

Also keep in mind that one bottle lasts 2-3 months. Thats brushing 3-4 times per day, using it for mouthwash (put a drop on tongue and a sip of water), and drops missing my toothbrush.

Whats the difference between a dead tooth and an infected tooth? I think I have a dead tooth, it gives me bad breath in the mornings (until I brush of course). No pain or anything, just the tooth looks...darker? I'm going to make an appointment after reading this. They're going to have to take the tooth out aren't they...

(I don't want to look up anything because I'm a massive hypochondriac)

I brush my teeth twice a day, I floss every night and I use mouthwash every other night.

I also rinse my mouth after drinking soda (on rare occasions) or coffee.

Machine

A friend of mine nearly died at age 30 after a dental cleaning. There is some risk of bacteria getting into the bloodstream if you bleed during a cleaning which can lead to a blood infection. In my friend's case, it reached his heart and he was very close to dying. He ended up having to get a valve replacement too which was crazy.

Media

Keep in mind a lot of people can't afford the dentist, even if they have insurance. For some reason, teeth and eye care isn't covered with regular insurance.

Whats the difference between a dead tooth and an infected tooth? I think I have a dead tooth, it gives me bad breath in the mornings (until I brush of course). No pain or anything, just the tooth looks...darker? I'm going to make an appointment after reading this. They're going to have to take the tooth out aren't they...

(I don't want to look up anything because I'm a massive hypochondriac)

Anyone? :(

Teeth have a blood supply. The inside of a tooth is a living space with cells that generate dentin. I'm not a dentist (I'm a 3rd year medical student) but I'm assuming a dead tooth has lost its blood supply and/or the cells inside of it that keep it alive.

A quick google shows this guess to be correct:
http://www.deltadentalma.com/your-oral-health/articles/a-means-of-saving-a-dead-tooth/

Listen, I'm going to the dentist asap after reading this thread. But like I said, I overreact. Is this smelly dead tooth worse than an infection? I know this seems silly but I think I'm about to have a panic attack. Again, no pain. My breath just smells unless I brush...which I don't do often enough.

And also thank you.

jblank83

Listen, I'm going to the dentist asap after reading this thread. But like I said, I overreact. Is this smelly dead tooth worse than an infection? I know this seems silly but I think I'm about to have a panic attack. Again, no pain. My breath just smells unless I brush...which I don't do often enough.

A strong "smelly" odor can indicate bacteria. It could just be bacteria hanging out in an area you don't/can't floss or inside the tooth. As far as freaking out, unless you're experiencing a strong fever, sweating, and generally feeling horrible, you probably don't have a systemic infection. And if you had a localized infection, you would know it. It would be hot, inflamed, red, and painful.

Basically don't freak out and go see a dentist.

And also thank you.

You're welcome.

Whales

Banned

And also thank you.

how bad is the infection?

is your teeth basically demolished or what? theres a big cavity in it?

Kadin

And also thank you.
Is it worse than an infection? I'm no doctor so I can't say for certain but from what I know after my many visits to the dentist - no it is not. Typically an infection will have some type of symptoms like swelling, fever... and PAIN.

I would simply call your dentist when you can and get in to get seen. I had a chipped tooth where food would get stuck inside for a very long time before it finally started to hurt and I went in, had a root canal, and it's now perfectly fine. I think you're okay, just don't sit on it any longer.

A strong "smelly" odor can indicate bacteria. It could just be bacteria hanging out in an area you don't/can't floss or inside the tooth. As far as freaking out, unless you're experiencing a strong fever, sweating, and generally feeling horrible, you probably don't have a systemic infection. And if you had a localized infection, you would know it. It would be hot, inflamed, red, and painful.

Basically don't freak out and go see a dentist.

You're welcome.

There's no redness, pain, don't have any kind of fever nor sweats. I feel horrible now only because my anxiety kicked in. I also haven't flossed in a very, very long time. I'll start up again tomorrow but every time I start, there's blood around every single tooth I'm flossing.

jblank83

There's no redness, pain, don't have any kind of fever nor sweats. I feel horrible now only because my anxiety kicked in. I also haven't flossed in a very, very long time. I'll start up again tomorrow but every time I start, there's blood around every single tooth I'm flossing.

Bleeding indicates you need to floss more regularly. When you floss regularly, your gums get used to it.

how bad is the infection?

is your teeth basically demolished or what? theres a big cavity in it?

The tooth looks like the rest as far as shape but it's discolored, like grayish? Not dark but it looks weird. Where a cavity would be, it's almost black (when you look under it) There's no "hole" and it's not falling apart, the whole tooth is normally shaped. My friend said it was a dead tooth but all of this talk of infection has now scared me enough to finally go in.

Again, no symptoms besides it tastes like shit around there until I brush in the morning.

Kadin

Do your best to not worry, as already mentioned earlier, the story in the OP is quite rare and not common. You don't have any of those specific symptoms so just know you'll be fine.

The bleeding around the teeth when you floss could just be gingivitis or if it's worse it's perio, like I have myself, but perfectly manageable. The bleeding happens but with good care from a good dentist, you can get it under control.

Whales

Banned

The tooth looks like the rest as far as shape but it's discolored, like grayish? Not dark but it looks weird. My friend said it was a dead tooth but all of this talk of infection has now scared me enough to finally go in.

Again, no symptoms besides it tastes like shit around there until I brush in the morning.

well, the tooth is either dead (youre gonna need a root canal treatment) or it has a big cavity inside it ( no root canal, just remove the bacteria and fill the tooth)

nothing to stress about at all... just go to your dentist

also if you floss for like 3 days in a row you will notice your gums won't bleed anymore ( or a lot less will of it will bleed). its normal

entremet

I only brush my teeth once a day, but floss daily and see my dentist every six months.

They're always impressed with me tooth health and cleanliness. Sometimes it's just the genes lol.

No cavities in ages and eat a lot of chocolate.

Oh man.

I have an impacted wisdom tooth that got infected a year and a half ago and had to take amoxicillin. I know I should get it extracted but I didn't have the money and was denied the payment plan offered to me. I haven't had any pain/issues since and have used antiseptic mouthwash daily since then, but I'm terrified this could happen to me and I guess I should find a way to get it pulled soon, but I'm really out of luck.

Look into going to a university dental school if possible. You can get dental work heavily discounted at least.

well, the tooth is either dead (youre gonna need a root canal treatment) or it has a big cavity inside it ( no root canal, just remove the bacteria and fill the tooth)

nothing to stress about at all... just go to your dentist

also if you floss for like 3 days in a row you will notice your gums won't bleed anymore ( or a lot less will of it will bleed). its normal

Thank you so much, I feel more calm now.

This thread might've just changed my life, I didn't know your teeth and gums could do this much damage to your body. I'm going to schedule to see the dentist tomorrow and start flossing on top of regularly brushing.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The tooth looks like the rest as far as shape but it's discolored, like grayish? Not dark but it looks weird. My friend said it was a dead tooth but all of this talk of infection has now scared me enough to finally go in.

I had an infected wisdom tooth a couple years ago, and all I can say is that it hurt like a mother fucker, nonstop, I was barely able to sleep more than a couple of hours a night due to the pain. Pain meds did absolutely nothing. My face felt like it was on fire...

Kadin

I had an infected wisdom tooth a couple years ago, and all I can say is that it hurt like a mother fucker, nonstop, I was barely able to sleep more than a couple of hours a night due to the pain. Pain meds did absolutely nothing. My face felt like it was on fire...
Can confirm. I also visited hell for a while before having my molar pulled. Shit ain't fun and it's not like you aren't aware of it.

I think the problem that many people have, myself included, is they don't worry UNTIL there are symptoms. That's the issue. No pain, no worry, right? Yeah it's the wrong way to approach oral care. Must be preventative.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Can confirm. I also visited hell for a while before having my molar pulled. Shit ain't fun and it's not like you aren't aware of it.

I think the problem that many people have, myself included, is they don't worry UNTIL there are symptoms. That's the issue. No pain, no worry, right? Yeah it's the wrong way to approach oral care. Must be preventative.

Yep. lol My dentist didn't help though, he gave me some meds to take and told me it would be fine after a couple of days. Instead, my jaw locked up as the infection spread, and I could barely open my mouth wide enough to fit just a spoon in. My oral surgeon told me to never go back to my dentist and recommended me a few places to switch to.

basically, go see your damn dentist, you do not want this kind of pain.

Codeblue

And also thank you.

Yo, just want to add that a necrotic (dead) tooth usually becomes necrotic due to irritation and infection of the nerve. This is why some people can wait out toothaches, the nerve eventually just dies and the pain comes back when the infection starts eating away at the gums and bone looking for a place to drain.

Now, that's not the only way a tooth dies. I had a soccer ball hit me in the face when I was a kid and one of my teeth just turned grey and needed a root canal and crown. So certainly trauma can also cause it.

The way you've described the tooth as not having a hole in it and just discoloring, I'd imagine it wasn't infected, but I can't say for sure without an x-ray.

Yo, just want to add that a necrotic (dead) tooth usually becomes necrotic due to irritation and infection of the nerve. This is why some people can wait out toothaches, the nerve eventually just dies and the pain comes back when the infection starts eating away at the gums and bone looking for a place to drain.

Now, that's not the only way a tooth dies. I had a soccer ball hit me in the face when I was a kid and one of my teeth just turned grey and needed a root canal and crown. So certainly trauma can also cause it.

The way you've described the tooth as not having a hole in it and just discoloring, I'd imagine it wasn't infected, but I can't say for sure without an x-ray.

Yeah, I've had pain before with other teeth but I've never had pain with this tooth. I didn't even notice the discoloring until I randomly looked one day. It could've been like this for a while, I always wondered why my breath smelled so bad, worse than other peoples and it felt like the smell was coming from that area.

Back in April, I got an abscess on my gums between two teeth. The first dentist I went to said it was probably just a piece of food that got under my gumline, because an abscessed tooth develops the puss pocket over a tooth's roots while this was on the gumline between two teeth. He prescribed some chlorohexodine mouthwash that seemed to take care of it, and after a week of no abscess I took a road trip.

Well, just a few days later the abscess came back. I toughed it out for a bit, but overnight the tooth became horribly cold sensitive so I sought out a local dentist. Based on the x-rays, he referred me to an endodontist and heavily implied I was going to need a root canal.

The endodontist took a 3D scan of my mouth and found what I had was called resorption, in which my mouth basically said "screw this tooth" and started chewing a hole in it, under the gums and about where it meets the jawbone. The endodontist said you can have perfect oral hygiene, and your mouth can just decide to eat a tooth (though he implied people who have had braces are more susceptible to resorption). A root canal wasn't going to fix it as the tooth would just continue to dissolve, and in October I finally had it pulled.

The oral surgeon originally thought it was going to come out in pieces, but they managed to pull it whole and I got to see the hole that made the past few months of my life hell. And curse it out. (It wasn't a *huge* hole. About as big around as a pin.)

I floss and brush once a day, before I go to bed, if anyone's wondering.

So, what is the moral of this story? Your mouth can fuck you up for no reason.

Between this and the grandpa getting killed while playing Pokemon GO I'm done with GAF for the night. Not the type of shit I need to be reading right before trying to sleep. Fuck me.

dh4niel

This thread is a nightmare for me. I had a wisdom tooth infection late last year and it was the worse pain ever.

Seiryoden

Have an appointment for a check-up this morning :/

My dentist always tells me to use inter-dental brushes. I might have a look at these water-pik devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom