• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California: Mosques vandalized; spray painted with "Jesus is the Way"

Status
Not open for further replies.
(CNN)- One mosque had "Jesus is the Way" spray-painted across the front. Another mosque was defaced and left with a fake grenade in the driveway. Both acts of vandalism took place in the same California city, about an hour west of where the San Bernardino terror attack took place this month.

And Hawthorne police said both incidents are now classified as hate crimes. Early Sunday morning, Hawthorne police received a call about vandalism and a possible explosive device in front of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community Baitus-Salaam Mosque, the Police Department said.

When officers arrived, they found what looked like a grenade and evacuated the area. But the object turned out to be a fake plastic grenade. Someone had also spray-painted "Jesus" across the mosque's fence.

The same day, another mosque -- the Islamic Center of Hawthorne -- was found vandalized, with "Jesus is the Way" spray-painted on the front of the building.

Hawthorne police believe both crimes took place overnight.

The FBI and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department are working with Hawthorne police in the investigation.

"Investigators will work to identify the person or group responsible, the motivation and whether religious bias was a factor," the FBI said.

"All evidence will be reviewed by state and federal prosecutors to determine whether a violation under federal civil rights statutes occurred. The FBI is committed to ensure law-abiding citizens are protected and to deter those who would threaten them." Hawthorne police said that after the San Bernardino attack, the department has communicating more closely with local Islamic centers.

"The Department will continue to closely support our faith-based partners and work to assure the safety of its members," Hawthorne police said.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/14/us/hawthorne-california-mosques-vandalized/

i don't recall the part of the bible where they tell you to fucking spray paint mosques

"Investigators will work to identify the person or group responsible, the motivation and whether religious bias was a factor," the FBI said.

oh man
whether religious bias was a factor? the fuck do they think the cause is, then? some dude named jesús who likes to tag?

qzLWcLI.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Jesus is one of Islam's prophets, no?
Calling him a prophet is still denying he's the unique son of God and they assert that there is a more unique prophet after him.

Islam is a "patch" to Christianity, basically. It is intended to replace it.

Reminds me of that woman who attacked a Muslim guy because he dared say "but we love jesus too".

Fucking idiots need to read their own book with both eyes open. The NT is all about treating everyone equally, loving your brother like yourself, and praying for your enemies instead of fighting back. Any "Christian" who pulls off shit like that is about as smart as those radical Islamist terrorists. Well, not really, but you see my point.

Mariolee

This is incredibly beyond disrespectful and I hope the vandals are sent to jail. Heinous actions like these bring down any positive semblance of Christianity, not up.

weekev

Banned
To be fair, religious bias could still not be the motivation. These idiots are probably just trying to piss off the local Muslim community.

Fucking idiots, do they realise that shit like this is exactly what ISIS want. Stunts like this could be the tipping point for weakminded folks on the verge of joining ISIS. Hope they find them and lock em up.

Brakke

Banned
In what fantasy world is Hawthorne an hour west of San Bernadino lmfao this reporter only drives at 2:00 AM?

besada

Banned
Matthew 7
16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

UraMallas

Maybe because the bible predates mosques?

Anyway, christian extremism strikes again. When wil moderate Christians speak out and condemn this behaviour?
If the bible legit did say to spray paint mosques I might have to take another look at this whole religion thing. That would be a bit too much of a coincidence for me to not obey.

antonz

Been a heavy string of Evangelical extremism lately. They are having issues in Vegas with it as well. Fundies barging into the Catholic churches including the main Cathedral during Masses and shouting and interrupting services etc.

They always flee before police arrive

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
To be fair, religious bias could still not be the motivation. These idiots are probably just trying to piss off the local Muslim community.

Fucking idiots, do they realise that shit like this is exactly what ISIS want. Stunts like this could be the tipping point for weakminded folks on the verge of joining ISIS. Hope they find them and lock em up.

I hope no one feels the need to go crucify and stone other humans because their mosque was spray painted. That's some level of weakmindedness.

Remember that Bible Story about that time Jesus came down to the the city and then he slathered paint all over a wall and said "Fuck all y'all, I'm the way now bitch."

In a weird way, I think assholes who crawl around in the dark are the worst type of bigot.

At least when they're vocal and out there, efforts can be made to undermine them.

Kelsdesu

Well if these individuals thought they were "saving" these "poor" people; they would have done it out in the open. For all to see.

Sick of religion. It only serves to divide us as a species.

Fucking idiots, do they realise that shit like this is exactly what ISIS want. Stunts like this could be the tipping point for weakminded folks on the verge of joining ISIS.
Hope they find them and lock em up.

Seriously dude

Dramatic much?

To be fair people keep msiquoting Jesus.

When he said turn the other cheek the full quote is

"turn the other cheek so.... Oh my God is-is that someone different? In my neighborhood?"

Ummm Muslims recognize Jesus as a prophet but not the son of God, actually the whole basis of Islam is there is no God but Allah/God.
Muslims also believe in the second coming of Jesus also as a human prophet.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know if all these news stories about hate crimes against Muslims is because of the Paris/San Bernardino/Trump events or if it's because the news is just paying more attention to it thanks to those events?

dabig2

I don't know guys, Jesus wasn't above getting his own hands dirty in a house of worship. My favorite story of his from my childhood is when he went into the temple in Jerusalem and just started going batshit on the undesirables in there. He was literally whooping people with a bundle of cords and shouting "This is my OLD MAN'S house! Don't you dare put your shoes on the couch of the LORD!"

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I hope no one feels the need to go crucify and stone other humans because their mosque was spray painted. That's some level of weakmindedness.

It's not that I disagree about people suddenly joining ISIS because of this is a really stupid thing, but you're understating the gravity of the situation as if it's just an act of vandalism.

What it represents, the feeling that you are greatly hated by a place you call home, that you are deserved to be hated and mocked upon just because you are "different", is a very powerful thing. It's not just "their mosque was spray painted."

Especially when stuff like Trump is happening around them. At what point a Muslim should be allowed to respond beyond, "Oh, it's just a spray paint," "Oh, it's just a jab", "Oh it's just a fake grenade," "Oh it's just a slur", "Oh it's just people demonstrating with guns" before he or she can be safely excluded from "people that are weakminded" group?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom