• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California: Mosques vandalized; spray painted with "Jesus is the Way"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinfamy

Judaism 2.0 is better then Judaism 3.0?
I guess Christians don't appreciate the new Material Design interface.

Though they're still both deprecated and open to vulnerabilities, I'd recommend Secular 4.2.2 RC4.

Bugs:​
You tell me :)

dabig2

Though they're still both deprecated and open to vulnerabilities, I'd recommend Secular 4.2.2 RC4.

There are no bugs in the releases, only features!

But I'd say the main problem with the Judaism releases is that waaaay too many folks are forking the repo and just creating extremely poor programs.

Jag

All 3 major religions are all based off the same shitty Abrahamic source code written by some crazy dude on IBM 407 punch cards. Time to dump it all and start from scratch.

It's a shame what is going on at the Mosques. As far back as I can remember, we've always had armed security at Temples, especially when kids are there.

I don't know guys, Jesus wasn't above getting his own hands dirty in a house of worship. My favorite story of his from my childhood is when he went into the temple in Jerusalem and just started going batshit on the undesirables in there. He was literally whooping people with a bundle of cords and shouting "This is my OLD MAN'S house! Don't you dare put your shoes on the couch of the LORD!"

To be fair to the story, it was not the undesirables, but corrupt business selling "religion" and making a profit, and the people buying. Like a lot of them now, I suppose, and the politicians that use religion to manipulate the masses for their own profit.
And the people stupid enough to let themselves be manipulated.

Why Did Jesus Drive Them Out?
1. They were taking advantage of those who had traveled long distances to celebrate Passover.

Two things were essential for these foreign worshipers: an animal to sacrifice and Temple coins which local merchants would accept. There was probably nothing wrong with selling animals or operating a legitimate money exchange, but, according to Jesus, these particular vendors were a “den of robbers” who undoubtedly charged exorbitant rates, thus taking advantage of those who seemingly had no other options.

2. They were doing so in the Temple.

Evidently, these shysters set up shop in the Court of the Gentiles, effectively crowding out those who had traveled to worship. Furthermore, they were perverting the purpose of the Temple itself; Jesus exclaimed that they were turning the house of prayer into a den of robbers. Not good!

In summary, these “businessmen” were guilty of a double whammy: they took advantage of others and they blocked God’s purposes in doing so. No wonder Jesus was angry!

So Jesus wouldn't approve disrespecting and corrupting a house of prayer, but as we've seen, the loud, annoying American Christians that would approve of vandalism are too stupid to follow even their own religion.

harSon

Banned
I heard from a friend that works in the county that they were called out to a Mosque in San Jose for a white substance that was mailed to the mosque. Don't see anything about it in the news yet though.

Be careful. People who openly talk about not being religious are just as bad as people who vandalize a mosque.

Wow, wow, escalating much? This is a completely different debate (and I don't see anyone here claiming that too so I think that really wasn't needed).

ChouGoku

What would Jesus do?

jesus-rile.jpg

Ishida

Banned
Sadly it seems attacks against religious institutions such as this have been on the rise lately. This beautiful display of the Virgin Mary at a Catholic Church was vandalized over the Thanksgiving holiday.

http://krqe.com/2015/12/13/vandals-hit-historic-socorro-church/

People do really shitty things when they think no one is watching. :(

Yeah, some old Catholic temple was also spray painted with "Tu dios no es real" ("Your god is not real") here in México yesterday.

Bunch of assholes.

It's all just a just a mass market rip off of some experiment in ancient Egypt to worship one unified god represented by the head of state instead of independent cults. If these US Jesus creeps were true to the meaning of monotheistic religion they would accept Obama as God's representative on earth and obey him.

Christianity does not teach this and Jesus wouldn't do that. Shame.

I've been saying it on GAF for years, but the only problem with Christianity are some of the stupid people that follow it and misuse it.

Christians and Muslims should be coming together to speak against the terrorism. And they have been in some cities but it's not widely reported on.

Christianity does not teach this and Jesus wouldn't do that. Shame.

I've been saying it on GAF for years, but the only problem with Christianity are some of the stupid people that follow it and misuse it.

Christians and Muslims should be coming together to speak against the terrorism. And they have been in some cities but it's not widely reported on.

That might not be the only problem with Christianity. Unkess you are saying you know for a fact other religions are wrong.

That might not be the only problem with Christianity. Unkess you are saying you know for a fact other religions are wrong.

Never said other religions are wrong. Not gonna get into that.

I'm just saying the common reason why Christianity is so segmented and why Christianity is used as a weapon is the people who follow it.

I mean, look at this situation. There's nothing Christian about it. Same thing goes for the groups who think it's their mission from God to tell you what to do with your sex life.

Chaplain

Hypocrisy and disobeying Jesus always go hand in hand.
"Hypocrisy is all about the gap between truth and lies, integrity and falsehood, and justice and injustice. At its heart are gaps that are covered by a pretense that is false and a pose that is a cover. Expressed more precisely, hypocrisy involves a triple violation. It is a violation of truth because the content of what it appears to say is untrue. It is a violation of justice because the claim it appears to show is unjust. And it is a violation of honesty because the communication through which it appears to speak is dishonest. If a lie is an attempt to deceive others without their consent, hypocrisy is a lie told in deeds rather than words... We [Christians] must face the humbling fact that again and again the major defections from the church are the result of vehement rejections of unfaithful and corrupt expressions of the Christian faith in different periods of history. The spread of atheism in the West, for example, is rooted historically in the corruptions of Christendom—the "politics of dissimulation" was the rotten fruit of the way Christians had corrupted themselves and oppressed others through the abuse of state power. (Consider the blatant logic of the Jacobin cry in the French revolution: "We must strangle the last king with the guts of the last priest.").” (Os Guinness, Guest Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center and a Visiting Fellow at the Brookings Institution)

Air

Banned
What's the metaphor here? Sword of peace?

The point generally is that the word of God will divide people. The rest of that passage that everyone usually leaves out talks about turning/dividing families against each other and so on.

Edit: I should clarify that's it's basically saying Jesus came to bring the noise and controversy. A lot of the points he made were not intuitive to the audience he was speaking to.

Kurdel

Banned
Stuff like this only works with the Cliffs notes version of Christianity and Christians. A real Christian will immediately answer the whole no judging thing with "Go and sin no more."

Yup.

Jesus loves you only if you deny your sexual feelings and impulses.

Yup.

Jesus loves you only if you deny your sexual feelings and impulses.

I think the main idea is that if you follow Jesus you wont condemn homosexuals openly. You'll just smile and nod while secretly thinking that they are gross people choosing to live in sin, like pedophiles and rapists.

Ah well at least that then. So husbands and wives can have all the sex they want to have. Premarital sex still out though? And the gays lose out.

Premarital sex is out only for those who are convicted that it's out, same for homosexuality, bisexuality, insert here, etc. That's the power of choice. You have the right to live as you please.

My Christianity doesn't allow me to hold people to standards they don't believe in.

cdyhybrid

Hypocritical as fuck.

Mark 9:38-40 "...we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbade him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part."

Luke 9:52-56: "...they did not receive him...And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom