• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California: Mosques vandalized; spray painted with "Jesus is the Way"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premarital sex is out only for those who are convicted that it's out, same for homosexuality, bisexuality, insert here, etc. That's the power of choice. You have the right to live as you please.

My Christianity doesn't allow me to hold people to standards they don't believe in.

Why doesn't this hold for other sins, like theft?

gE9iYqe.jpg

Essentially what they're doing

So you're saying other religions aren't the same?

Hah!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
That's how you team them terrorists, remind them that Christianity is the OG terror organization.

What's the metaphor here? Sword of peace?

It's a metaphor for the division between friends and family being a Christian can/will cause. Jesus didn't come here for political peace. He came to provide peace to the hearts of those who accept Him. Peace to their loved ones too. "I'm sad my uncle passed but I'm also at peace knowing he was saved.

Acknowledging that, Jesus states He is bringing the sword. Becoming a Christian and following the Bible will definitely change the company you keep. It also can divide families which is what Jesus goes on to talk about in the next verse.

All this was part of commands Jesus gave to his disciples when he told them to go and spread what he taught them.

The point generally is that the word of God will divide people. The rest of that passage that everyone usually leaves out talks about turning/dividing families against each other and so on.

Edit: I should clarify that's it's basically saying Jesus came to bring the noise and controversy. A lot of the points he made were not intuitive to the audience he was speaking to.

This too, basically.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Jesus is the messiah in Islam you inbred xenophobic dumbfucks.

Well, the context of "Jesus is the way" is John 14:6, in which it is stated that belief in Jesus—specifically his messianic mission and his sacrifice—is the only way to salvation. Even though Muslims honor Jesus as a prophet, they certainly do not share that theological doctrine. In fact, the Qur'an spends some considerable ink refuting it.

Doesn't make this act any less wrong or nonsensical, but it's not really an unchristian act to try to spread the gospel.

One of the most entertaining theological debates I've ever seen was a civil and academic debate between a Christian and a Muslim who debated which religion is the true one. It's amazing how arcane the arguments can become when both debaters accept certain religious positions. (For instance, the Christian argued that a logically consistent god has to be triune, since the property of being loving requires a loving person and a loved person. Hence, a god that only incorporates a single person is logically incompatible with being loving.) It's like watching comic book fans argue over fan fiction.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Here we have Muslims being treated to a gross action of hate speech and yet all you guys are discussing is about whether Jesus/Christianity is right or wrong added with a sauce of "Christian/religion is evil" rhetoric too for added flavor.

Let's forget about the victims and use their woes as a platform for religion vs. atheism, yey.

Ishida

Banned
How do we know thwy arent victims too of some kind of religious discrimination? things are nasty there with religion.

Even if that were true, is vandalism the correct way? Let's not victimize these people. The temple was just freshly restored and painting such a mocking statement doesn't solve anything, if anything it just helps to reinforce the "us VS them" ideology that we should we avoiding. Besides, the way things are now this is most probably the work of "edgy" atheist youths who did it "for the lulz". Social media is full of the stuff nowadays.

It's also a crime.

Even if that were true, is vandalism the correct way? Let's not victimize these people. The temple was just freshly restored and painting such a mocking statement doesn't solve anything, if anything it just helps to reinforce the "us VS them" ideology that we should we avoiding. Besides, the way things are now this is most probably the work of "edgy" atheist youths who did it "for the lulz". Social media is full of the stuff nowadays.

It's also a crime.
Vandalism is freedom of expression brah. Ain't American enough to know that? God damn. George Washington himself spray painted it onto the constitution.

Uhh, because that's an actual civil crime?

Sex life =/= Theft

So if theft weren't a crime, you'd not condemn them or seek to punish them?

It's also a crime.

Given that you immediately jumped to "I bet it was those Atheists!" despite there currently being no evidence for it, I'm willing to bet that you're just as guilty as perpetuating an "us vs them" mentality.

So if theft weren't a crime, you'd not condemn them or seek to punish them?

I'm trying and failing to see where you're going with this. Theft, Murder, Battery, Forgery, etc are all civil crimes that negatively affect society and disrupt law and order. Having a hypothetical WHAT IF scenario is useless. We're talking about what is, not would could be. I don't seek to "punish" anyone, but committing a crime should be punished by the law.

What you do in the privacy of your bedroom does not affect me. Anyone who spends their time bellyaching over people's private sexual habits is not in the right place spiritually anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom