• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu for Switch launches October 8

Mista

Banned

The Switch version of Call of Cthulhu will launch on October 8, publisher Focus Home Interactive and developer Cyanide Studio announced.

Call of Cthulhu first launched for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in October 2018.

Here is an overview of the game, via Nintendo.com:
Call of Cthulhu, the official videogame inspired by Chaosium’s classic pen and paper RPG, brings you deep into a world of creeping madness and shrouded Old Gods within Lovecraft’s iconic universe.

1924. Private Investigator Pierce is sent to look into the tragic death of the Hawkins family on the isolated Darkwater Island. Soon enough, Pierce is pulled into a terrifying world of conspiracies, cultists, and cosmic horrors. Nothing is as it seems. Sanity is an irregular bedfellow, all too often replaced by whisperings in the dark. Strange creatures, weird science, and sinister cults dominate the Cthulhu Mythos, intent on realizing their mad schemes to bring about the end of everything.

Your mind will suffer – between sanity and psychosis, your senses will be disrupted until you question the reality of everything around you. Trust no one. Slinking shadows hide lurking figures… and all the while, the Great Dreamer prepares for his awakening.
Gematsu

So I finished the game two days ago. Took about 8 hours. I got to say as a Lovecraft-fan I enjoyed it.

I read some reviews criticizing the slow start, but not only is that not true imo, it's also perfectly in line with a Lovecraft novel.

Actually, I'd criticize that the game is way too on-the-nose with its cosmic horror elements. In Lovecraft novels, you often wonder 'was it in his head or real?', but this game is pretty clear pretty fast that supernatural things *do* happen.

It's a bog standard mainstream Lovecraft-story, so don't expect any of his less known stories. But we oy get Lovecraft-based games so rarely that I still liked the plot.

Presentation, voice acting, etc are good. What's really great is the gameplay variety. It never feels game-y, because no situation is ever repeated. Thought it was kinda impressive.

The one big negative: the Switch-version is so blurry it hurts - literally. I recommend the game, but try to play another version.

Top Bottom