• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 2025 does not have an assigned main developer. It was meant to be SHG, but they refused

Tsaki

"You have 20 months to make a Call of Duty game. And by the way, we fire 30% of you. Good luck!"

6iyyEqp.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
Surely Microsoft can throw some developers at it to get it done? And how does a developer refuse exactly? Are they independent or something?
The issue here is that COD 2025's release date is only about 18 months from now, and these are $250 million productions that require a staff of hundreds of people to put it together. Don't know about the internal politics that led to them saying no and MS accepting that if it is true.

Last edited:
That’s ok. I’m sure they will make their money back on character skins. Maybe they could collab with Dragonball or Family Guy just like Fortnite. Can you imagine how much fun it would be to get blasted by a kamahameha whilst attempting to capture a point?

Microsoft has fucked over MWIII and MWZ with the recent firings and shuffling, so I totally get SHG not being eager to have their feet to the fire again to rush something out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The only games Sledgehammer should ever get as main work are games like MWIII which is basically a remaster of an old game where the foundation of the maps are already done for them.

Robb

Gold Member
Good on Sledgehammer for making a solid case and good on MS for actually listening I guess.

But this sounds like a hot mess. The latest CoD already seemed like a hot mess and nothing more than a poorly disguised DLC pack.. Looking forward to reading how people miss the days when we got CoD games like the latest one instead of whatever we’ll get going forward.

Kikorin

Luckily I'm no more interested in CoD by years now, but following how MS will destroy the IP in future will be epic.

icerock

They are the worst custodians for an IP like CoD. Which offers campaign, multiplayer, battle-royale, zombies, dmz, ranked mode with 6 seasons in every new CoD cycle releasing every 60 days.

Kotick for all his issues was able to get his studios to meet the deadlines without issues, year-on-year. And, even he said the existing amount of CoD devs are NOT enough. What do MS do? Lay-off 30% of CoD devs across all studios. You can write this shit, they are so incompetent, it is actually hilarious.

I expect CoD 2025 to miss the deadline, or be a half-assed effort which lacks several parts which have become staple to the franchise.

KaiserBecks

Maybe Activision just shouldn't make another main title and just support Black Ops for an additional year? You know, like they originally wanted with MW2. Sledgehammer is a shit tier studio though so the less from them the better.

midnightAI

Yeah, what the fuck? Can someone with more knowledge explain?
I'm pretty sure it's more them putting the case forward that they couldn't get the game done in that timeframe rather than a flat out refusal to do the work.

If it is the latter however.... Yeeeesh

Last edited:
How do you maintain coherent vision and quality for a game without a main developer?
Just remaster the Modern Warfare 3 mp maps. Give It another shitty single player with 3 hours playtime and you are done. The next multi million seller because the COD community doesn't give a fuck.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Bring Bobby back. Fire everyone at MS head quarters.

Devs refused .... Lol.

Either
- none of the people at MS knows how to work and manage anything ( Phill playing Diablo 4 while supposed to be working is pretty much fucking telling. )
- this guy is just tweeting random shit out of his ass.

Wtf at devs refusing to take a job they are hired for. What kind of a stupid ass comment is that ?

Last edited:
As seemingly a number of clowns have escaped from the circus and wound up here to once again shit on Microsoft, as they can't work out on their own that Microsoft only took ownership of Activision Blizzard in October of last year so this was a pre Microsoft fuck up, ok clowns? 🤡

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Bring Bobby back. Fire everyone at MS head quarters.

Devs refused .... Lol.

Either
- none of the people at MS knows how to work and manage anything ( Phill playing Diablo 4 while supposed to be working is pretty much fucking telling. )
- this guy is just tweeting random shit out of his ass.

Wtf at devs refusing to take a job they are hired for. What kind of a stupid ass comment is that ?
This is the full tweet:
As mentioned in this article, currently, Call of Duty 2025 (20 months from release) does not have an assigned main developer. It's my understanding that it was meant to be SHG, but following on from the 16-month development cycle of MW3, they basically refused and didn't want to become a "year 2 support studio".

High Moon Studios was in the running at one point (unclear if it's still the case), which would have made it the 4th studio ever to mainline a Call of Duty game, but I believe that it's likely going to fall to Treyarch Games in the end.

Infinity Ward is already developing Call of Duty 2026 and Sledgehammer Games recently got the greenlight to develop Call of Duty 2027, as per my previous reporting.
Insider Gaming is reliable, or at least has been in the past. Making a game is not easy. I admit that how it was said is a little too funny, and make the studio look like a kid who don't want to eat his dinner. But time will tell. In the meantime Xbox will have another fire to put out.

Mr Moose

As seemingly a number of clowns have escaped from the circus and wound up here to once again shit on Microsoft, as they can't work out on their own that Microsoft only took ownership of Activision Blizzard in October of last year so this was a pre Microsoft fuck up, ok clowns? 🤡
You take that back! My shoe size is only a 9 UK.

xrnzaaas

Correct me if I'm wrong but they're contractually obligated to release a new CoD game every year, right?

It's gonna be hilarious when MS will try to force their own studios to help out so that they'll release any (barely) working product.

Top Bottom