• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on XB1 has crushed blacks (pop).

Mistah

community_magnitude_hub.jpg

Haha :D

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Watching GB quicklook of NBA Live 15, and it sure as hell looks like it suffers the same fate.

DNnNvWS.png

9b0kvH8.png

bvr5uOg.jpg

Ramza

Banned
What is "crushed black"? Can someone explain?

Crushed blacks is where black levels on the lower end of the scale are shown as pure black instead of havine a gradient to them, like in this:

crushed.png

Causes you to lose a lot of detail in dark scenes.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I cant stand this as a new Xbone owner. A handful of games really shocked me with their crusying and contrast. I like the machine but man...i have o choose PS4 versions if the XB versions suffer this way.

Ramza

Banned
State what monitor/hdtv model you are using. Also try to take a picture

I have no issues like this here.

The Xbones crushed blacks are on the console level, so no matter what monitor / tv you use, you are going to have the issue

State what monitor/hdtv model you are using. Also try to take a picture

This is pretty much unnecessary. We know the Full Range setting has issues with TVs that auto select the appropriate setting. We also know certain games cannot be adjusted to account for the loss of detail such as Dead Rising 3. A different TV isn't going to magically restore lost detail. At this point it's up to the game developers to account for the different gamma curve on XB1, and MS needs to get behind this like they do with trying to get developers to reach 1080p on the console.

Is this something confirmed or just going by the video in the OP? I was watching a Twitch stream yesterday from The Race (with TMartn) and there were no crushed blacks in the stream. Could it have been the versions being captured with different brightness settings (with the capture card having a global brightness setting)?

It's a fake issue. I would be just as fake is Xbox fanboys repeatedly complained about the washed out look of PS4 games.

And Live 15 doesn't look anything like the photos posted here.

It's a fake issue. I would be just as fake is Xbox fanboys repeatedly complained about the washed out look of PS4 games.

You can't be serious...

PS4 games looking washed-out is because they have their RGB set wrong. Which is corrected if you set it to match your TV's RGB setting. Setting your RGB right on the X1 still causes black crush. That's the difference. It's very much a real issue.

You sound like you're just in denial.

Ramza

Banned

And Live 15 doesn't look anything like the photos posted here.

Ummmmm, the crushed blacks on numerous Xbone games have been completely proven. Many developers don't adjust for the jacked up gamma curve on the Xbone.

Fake issue... smh. Also, is this an actual case of "lazy developers" (don't shoot me) since many games out now seem to avoid the issue?

I wish there was a better written suggestion to up vote. Get on this, Sangreal!

The problem is that if they fix it now, they'll fuck up the gamma on every game that was built to adjust for it.

Exactly. MS needs to get on developers about it. If they can send engineers to get games up to 1080p I think they can help them adjust to the XB1's gamma curve.

Wollveren

Banned
Umm this may sound stupid, what the hell is crushed black. I can see images but it just looks like the brightness is low or whatever. Also why is it just on xbox, isn't it a colour issue?

Ramza

Banned
Umm this may sound stupid, what the hell is crushed black. I can see images but it just looks like the brightness is low or whatever. Also why is it just on xbox, isn't it a colour issue?

It's not just the brightness. If you raise the brightness, you're not going to regain that detail that's in the black area. It'll all just be grey. And it's a gamma issue. The Xbone (and the 360) use some bizarre gamma curve instead of the standard sRGB one

crushed.png

To explain, notice how the image on the right has more detail on the rocks, while the left looks darker? Like I mentioned above, raising the brightness won't get that detail back, because the blacks and near blacks are all being "crushed" together to form a singular black.

Unfortunately, a lot of people think that the darker image is better as it "pops" more. But they're not realizing that they're A) losing detail and B) seeing a scene darker than it's intended to be, usually.

Xater

Watching GB quicklook of NBA Live 15, and it sure as hell looks like it suffers the same fate.

DNnNvWS.png

9b0kvH8.png

bvr5uOg.jpg

Now that I look more closely at it you are right. I immediately noticed something about the lighting being off, now I realize what is happening.

Now that I look more closely at it you are right. I immediately noticed something about the lighting being off, now I realize what is happening.

That NBA Live example is an extreme case of it. GB are obviously not capturing the game correctly.

EDIT: Or the poster is trolling.

EDIT 2: Just watched GB video. Poster not trolling. LOL GB is doing something wrong.

SaqTvJW.jpg

Notice how almost all detail in the dark areas is completely lost on the X1 image. That's black crush.

RdN

You guys are going to get insane if you create a thread for every Xbox title that has crushed blacks. It has been like this since the 360 years.. It won't be changing.

Metfanant

The big question is why did they still use a fucked up gamma curve? You think they would have learned from the 360.

all you need to look to is the number of people that come into threads like this and say things like "The Xbone has better colors" or "i like the 'pop.'" MS has chosen that gamma curve for a specific reason...the same reason that TV's are set on torch mode on display in stores with the contrast all jacked up. The human eye is naturally drawn to high contrast, overly saturated images...

Top Bottom