• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

Realyn

MP only:

4.4 2500k, 280x, 8 gb.

Textures High/High/High

Shadows Low

SMAA x2

AO off

110% fov

Vsync off, IG frames limited to 240, 119 with Afterburner

CPU on ~80% on smaller maps, closer to 100% on the bigger ones. Gpu around 95-100%.

Unlike AW I have zero complaints about my mouse, works like a charm. No tearing and a steady 120. Only very few places on big maps dip. Maybe this helps someone.

Matty8787

SO, I did the i5 fix but I also turned AA off as in the options it says AA doesn't work properly on multi GPU setups and causes performance problems.

Anyway since that I have not dropped below 100fps with everything on extra/high.

MGrant

4690K/970/8GB RAM/1080p

Runs between 90-110 fps at all times in multiplayer with everything on High; haven't tried any other mode yet. Going to be tweaking it until I can get at least 120 fps locked.

SO, I did the i5 fix but I also turned AA off as in the options it says AA doesn't work properly on multi GPU setups and causes performance problems.

Anyway since that I have not dropped below 100fps with everything on extra/high.

What is the i5 fix? I'm out of the loop.

MoonGred

I can't for the life of me get the game to lock at 60fps at 1440p

- So far I turned everything down to high, with the exception of Vol lighting - Medium.
- Disabled motion blur
- Turned off AA - I don't see any performance increase between none or SMAAx2

Just finished the first mission and frame rate goes from 60 to 30 for no apparent reason, the later parts are borderline unplayable.
Gpu usage fluctuates between 90 and 45%, at the most random times.
Cpu hovers around 80-95%

GTX980ti
16GB

The thing that really gets me is that I need to alt + enter about 5 times before I can actually get past the main menu.

Any of the TAA options won't work, but others would.

Matty8787

4690K/970/8GB RAM/1080p

Runs between 90-110 fps at all times in multiplayer with everything on High; haven't tried any other mode yet. Going to be tweaking it until I can get at least 120 fps locked.

What is the i5 fix? I'm out of the loop.

Go into the config and change worker threads from 4 to 2.

c2morg

anyone else getting crashing in the intro to the campaign video? multiplayer works fine but cant get into campaign, i7 titan x so it can handle it..

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Tabbing out and in causes the display mode to change to windowed which is super annoying.

stef t97

VRAM usage is fucking crazy in this game, its the only issue I have. Got everything on low and at 70% resolution scale or whatever its called and it's maxing out my 2gb of VRAM. I couldn't care less about playing at low but I just want to play at 1080p which I can't because turning the scale up fills the last of it and my framerate drops to the 40s.

I know I only have a piece of shit 660 but my GPU usage isnt passing like 80% most of the time and I could probably turn up the settings a bit if it wasn't for the VRAM situation. Incredibly disappointed as I could Max BO2 while recording, having a movie config on and having my editing programs open without dropping from 60fps

Insomnium

Everything is smooth for me so far, even tried some coop Campaign with my friends, FPS is locked at 60 using in game frame rate limiter.

Specs:
i5 3570 3.8Ghz
8Gb Ram
GTX 970

Phinor

Who makes a decision to tie input speed into framerate? How does something like this get implemented and never corrected?

Goddamn I still hate how the mouse feels in this game. Sure, I can cap my fps to make it a bit better but the occasional dips in framerate still cause mouse controls go crazy. It wouldn't be such a huge issue if this game at least ran well but it really doesn't. At 2560x1440 a single heavily overclocked 970 can't maintain 60fps at medium settings and considering how average the game looks, that's just crazy. This should be running at like 200fps+ with medium settings. Call of Duty used to be all about tight controls and steady high framerates but these days it's hot garbage in that department.

Night/day going between Battlefield 4 and this game. BF4 runs flawlessly at high settings/resolution and the controls are way more responsive. Obviously BF4 looks way better too and holds those framerates much better during heavy action.

Why, why, why.

Also to get slightly less washed out look, try changing the color space setting from sRGB to whatever HDTV limited the other option is. Why the game is washed out with sRGB setting on a high quality PC monitor, I've no idea.

Running this on a gtx 670 jetstream w 2GB Vram, 3770k @ 4 Ghz, 8 gb 2133 Mhz ram, WD Black hdd.

Had to lower everything down to lowest and use 80% screen res to get minimum 120 fps (playing on a 144hz monitor).

It looks like absolute dogshit on those settings but it's smooth for mp. In contrast i can play BO2 with everything on highest, TXAA enabled @ 1080p and get smooth 120 fps. Kinda feels like the 1st blops release to an extent.

One tweak i used that seemed to make the framerate more stable in BO3 was to change the VideoMemory setting in the config file from 0.95 to 0.75.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Please excuse my aim, I accidentally set the mode to windowed fullscreen which causes massive input delay and makes it feel like I'm moving through mud, I just thought it was due to recording at the time but just noticed the setting was wrong when I watched the video. But as you can see, even when recording I'm getting 120fps most of the time on high at 1080p, it's running really well for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMatv2p962A

TheRed

My 970 and i5 4670k were running smooth 1080p 60 fps. Only thing I changed was the ini tweak and everything to high, except maybe volumetric light I might've put lower, don't remember.
Game is a blast in multiplayer. I'm using steam controller and it's perfect, I'm able to outplay KB/M every match so far. Here's one TDM match I played last night, you see how well the controller can keep up.
https://youtu.be/Xi7BOjzT1ks

Tovarisc

Does that .ini tweak lower utilisation of CPU? BO3 pushes my CPU to 75% which results in 100% overall used. Game doesn't stutter or anything, but lower utilisation could allow more GPU time.

Vallasin

Neo Member
i5-3570k stock
GTX 970
8GB RAM
Windows 10
installed on a good ol' 7200 rpm hard drive
Blops 3 Game Ready Driver installed

1080p, most settings on high, AO extra, dynamic shadows on, vsync off, Fullscreen, SMAA 2tx
Framerate capped to 58 because of weird tearing when set to 60

tested three rounds of TDM against bots ... not a hitch.

Maybe i just got lucky. Advanced Warfare looked slightly better though.

Kezen

Banned
i5-3570k stock
GTX 970
8GB RAM
Windows 10
installed on a good ol' 7200 rpm hard drive
Blops 3 Game Ready Driver installed

1080p, most settings on high, AO extra, dynamic shadows on, vsync off, Fullscreen, SMAA 2tx
Framerate capped to 58 because of weird tearing when set to 60

tested three rounds of TDM against bots ... not a hitch.

Maybe i just got lucky. Advanced Warfare looked slightly better though.

Have you tested the SP ? It should be more taxing.
I'm installing the game as I'm writing this, I plan on going high settings with extra AO, SMAA.
Should be enough for 60fps. Extra shadows and textures will most certainly make my framerate drops if the reports are true. I assume there is no difference in quality between high and extra, the latter simply dumps as much data as possible into my VRAM.
Advanced Warfare had a nice setting called "fill remaining memory" which was separate from texture settings.

LQX

Is there a fix to keep the game from defaulting to 5K? No matter how many times I apply 1080p it defaults back to 5K if I minimize or close the game. I'm pretty sure it it is has to do with having Nvidia DSR resolutions enabled as I ticked off a few boxes and then it defaulted to the second highest resolution. I don't want to turn off DSR just because of one game though.

Randam

how can I delete my save game?
skipped the intro because I wanted to close the game to install english voices and now it starts me at the beginning of the mission after the intro.

Kezen

Banned
Relevant :
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2169-cod-black-ops-3-pc-gpu-benchmark-and-fps

2wicbM2.png

Vallasin

Neo Member
Have you tested the SP ? It should be more taxing.
I'm installing the game as I'm writing this, I plan on going high settings with extra AO, SMAA.
Should be enough for 60fps. Extra shadows and textures will most certainly make my framerate drops if the reports are true. I assume there is no difference in quality between high and extra, the latter simply dumps as much data as possible into my VRAM.
Advanced Warfare had a nice setting called "fill remaining memory" which was separate from texture settings.

I just played the first mission. Just one significant framedrop to ~35 fps when looking through a window (interrogation room).

Yuuichi

i5 4570K
GTX 760 + Game ready driver
8GB Ram
W8.1
7200 Physical drive

With high textures, everything else on medium except AO (low), FXAA, and dynamic shadows on the game runs pretty well at 90% resolution. The campaign definitely has an issue with excessive alpha effects causing massive slowdown for some reason (I've finished the first two or three missions), but multiplayer and my zombies test were fine in both normal and split screen. Not using vsync and have frames capped at 58 and when it's smooth in MP it plays like a dream. It should be noted I'm using the ini fix as well.

I got a question,

If I buy the PC version of CoD Black Ops 3, does it have splitscreen !? My girlfriend loves to play Zombie mode, and so far I used to have the Ps4/Ps3 versions, but the PC version is way cheaper...

Yuuichi

I got a question,

If I buy the PC version of CoD Black Ops 3, does it have splitscreen !? My girlfriend loves to play Zombie mode, and so far I used to have the Ps4/Ps3 versions, but the PC version is way cheaper...

Yes, but only for two people. I believe consoles support up to four (but I could be wrong).

Yuuichi

Ahh thats good enough, its just me and her.

And can both use controllers, or one of the players must use the keyboard+mouse ?

Probably? I only had one controller to to test with so I was using KBM but you can change the input device for P2 so I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Swarna

i5 760 OC'd @ 3.8
970 OC'd @ 1443
8GB RAM
850 Pro SSD

Can't play on Extra Textures/Shadow Maps without occasional stuttering. Lowering these to High removes stuttering completely and VRAM usage stays <3.6GB in single-player (less in MP). I also lowered OIT and Volumetric Lighting to Medium since with these to High I've had one occurrence so far where looking at the distant background on a MP map made my FPS lower to 30-40. I don't know which one of these is the culprit or if both are since it was just a one-time occurrence. Otherwise everything is maxed out (including FOV @ 120) and my FPS low in SP is still in the 60's. MP is usually well over 100 on average.

Elitist1945

Got single digit FPS (sub 10fps) during the
turret sequence
in the first mission on low settings. How is this possible? Unacceptable.

ramshot

Campaign performance report:

No, 6 gigs of VRAM isn't enough even with 16 gigs RAM, at least not at 1440p. 95% of it the time it is, but I got severe stutter at certain times. VRAM usage was horvering between 5 gigs and maximum. Lowering the texture quality to High fixed this, VRAM usage dropped to 3-4 gigs, and now I fluctuate between 120 and 60fps in a quite erratic fashion, but it's perfectly playable. The biggest hit comes from transparency effect by far. As someone else mentioned above, the window in the interrigation room really did damage.

Everything besides textures is at max, except for AA, which is at SMAA 2x.

6700k @ 4.6Ghz, 980Ti at 1420Mhz, 16 gigs DDR4 @ 2400Mhz, Win10

As for the game itself, first mission was a bore, but it quickly picked up after that. Having fun.

Kezen

Banned
As promised, here's my frametimes :
fNmyn1V.png

GTX 980
I7 4770K stock
16gb of RAM 1600mhz
Latest Geforce drivers.

Everything maxed save for shadows (high) and textures (high).

Runs very well but I've not played much for now. Remains to be seen how it holds up in more demanding scenes.

The PS4 build appears to have a dynamic res in place and does not hold 60fps either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KaDm3tTKKc

ramshot

so what's the best AA option here? the game defaulted to a "cinematic" one.

At around 80fps while standing still testing stuff, I lost like 2-4 fps due to using SMAA x2 (plain). This may ofc vary scene to scene, but SMAA seems to be rather light on the GPU.

SliChillax

Is there any chance that they could fix the vsync input lag, or are we stuck with the "set max frames to 58" as the official fix forever?

Has nothing to do with vsync. I was playing on a gsync monitor with vsync off and was experiencing huge input lag. I had to set the framerate cap to 142 for it to run smooth while my refresh rate is 144. Honestly no big deal.

bee

zero issues with zombies or multiplayer for me, even at 4k (extra shadows,textures) they run mostly around 60fps , will be switching to 144hz monitor to play those though

single player definitely has some issues, the ini tweak works great but every now and then theres drops to 0% gpu usage mainly at the start and end of levels though and i've no idea why the game uses so much memory, its using 18.6gb of ram/vram combined lol, vram rises and rises up to 10.3gb then stabilises but there's no stutter or microstutter at all apart from the above gpu usage issue

fun game btw, not really played since cod 4

Top Bottom