• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 PC performance thread

I just played a few matches of Kill Confirmed with basically everything at high, not max, at 1080p and it basically didn't drop from 60 FPS unless it was going back to a menu after a match was over. Very smooth. Mouse controls feel... not precise? Feels like a tad bit of lag or acceleration or something.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops_III-test-blackops3_intel.jpg

I said wow.

Extra textures + shadows are super taxing :
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops_III-test-blackops3_1920.jpg

As a matter of interest the game is 900p on Xbox One, sub 1080p dynamic on PS4 and 60fps is not sustained.
Source :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KaDm3tTKKc
DAT utilization and load balance.
Wellthereitis.jpg

Does anybody know where Steam save files are located? I tried userdata folder and players folder but the game saves aren't there. I need to restart the campaign.

RulkezX

Did pretty much nothing for me. GTX970/i5-3570k, have to keep everything on low to get a fairly stable 60fps. Even then it seems to drop on some maps.

Fuck sake.

Game is flawless for me now

2500k @ 4.4
7970GE 3GB
8GB Ram

Sticks to 60 and now stutter at the start or matches or levels. Whatever the patch did fixed my game.

The mouse input feel still feels kind of shitty, not 1:1 like most FPS's. The suggested graphical tweaks don't do much; V-sync disabled fixes 98% of it, you can turn those graphics settings back on. Something else is going on, I think it's engine level stuff.

ramshot

After 4 hours of the campaign and about an hour of MP now, I'm fairly certain this game is going to go down as a really good PC version down the line. A fair amount of people have problems, but when it works, it really works. It looks great, runs great. In SP there are some short drops in fps between action scenes, and the cutscenes do hang around 30fps, but I've seen no dips in performance when it matters after dropping textures to High.

Granted, it would be nice if all everyone got it functional out of the gates. But if you are one of the people who have it good, and I suspect most everyone will once they get some patching done, this is a good one. When you have a good number of people with buttery smooth performance, it usually means good things in the long run for everyone.

6700k @ 4.6, 980Ti @ 1420, 16 gigs DDR @ 2400, Win10, 1440p, Textures and Shadow Maps High, AA 2x SMAA plain

Kezen

Banned
After 4 hours of the campaign and about an hour of MP now, I'm fairly certain this game is going to go down as a really good PC version down the line. A fair amount of people have problems, but when it works, it really works. It looks great, runs great. In SP there are some short drops in fps between action scenes, and the cutscenes do hang around 30fps, but I've seen no dips in performance when it matters after dropping textures to High.

Granted, it would be nice if all everyone got it functional out of the gates. But if you are one of the people who have it good, and I suspect most everyone will once they get some patching done, this is a good one. When you have a good number of people with buttery smooth performance, it usually means good things in the long run for everyone.

6700k @ 4.6, 980Ti @ 1420, 16 gigs DDR @ 2400, Win10, 1440p, Textures and Shadow Maps High, AA 2x SMAA plain

Cutscenes don't drop to 30fps here. At least the cutscenes I've seen, 60fps all throughout.
On consoles they are apparently capped to 30fps.

ramshot

Cutscenes don't drop to 30fps here. At least the cutscenes I've seen, 60fps all throughout.
On consoles they are apparently capped to 30fps.

That's quite interesting. I wonder if it has to do with having a 144hz refresh rate then. It's hovering around 27-30 for me during cutscenes without any sensible explanation for it.

Kezen

Banned
Curious about this as well. Seems like there's an absurd performance drop when using extra settings.

True in the case of textures and shadows.
"Extra" texture setting really cache an extraordinary amount of textures in your VRAM hence the huge drop.
I don't see the difference in quality between high and extra.

has anyone done PC splitscreen yet?

Preferably over 2 monitors?

Me and my wife are going to play it this way, how easy is it to set up?

is it an option in the menu or do I gotta trick my monitors/nvidia thing?

RobbieNick

Just like Arkham Knight. I did it to myself again. I WAS gonna get the PS4 version, but hey! Greenmangaming had it for $39.99 so I was like, "Sure! I'll save 20 bucks and go this route." So what do I get? A stuttering framerate, poor texture loading and a odd and blinding strobe light effect on certain areas.

I was able to get rid of the strobe light effect by updating my drivers, but the rest remain. However, it does seem to work much, much better in multiplayer for me than single player. This seems more like an optimization issue that can be patched out more than anything. Maybe I just need a better card. I dunno.

mxgt

Banned
My mouse feels floaty as fuck, like there's massive acceleration if I set it to 1080p 100%, but if I set it to 80% it feels perfect

wat

ramshot

Just like Arkham Knight. I did it to myself again. I WAS gonna get the PS4 version, but hey! Greenmangaming had it for $39.99 so I was like, "Sure! I'll save 20 bucks and go this route." So what do I get? A stuttering framerate, poor texture loading and a odd and blinding strobe light effect on certain areas.

I was able to get rid of the strobe light effect by updating my drivers, but the rest remain. However, it does seem to work much, much better in multiplayer for me than single player. This seems more like an optimization issue that can be patched out more than anything. Maybe I just need a better card. I dunno.

Have you lowered the texture quality setting? I'm seeing so, so many people not do this across the internet and then complain about the stutters. I don't understand why Treyarch didn't have some sort of automatic detection system for this setting.

IMACOMPUTA

has anyone done PC splitscreen yet?

Preferably over 2 monitors?

Me and my wife are going to play it this way, how easy is it to set up?

is it an option in the menu or do I gotta trick my monitors/nvidia thing?

Haven't been able to figure it out other than to play windowed and span it across two monitors. Which is awful. It breaks the menus.

SliChillax

My mouse feels floaty as fuck, like there's massive acceleration if I set it to 1080p 100%, but if I set it to 80% it feels perfect

wat

Set the fps cap a few frames below your refresh rate.

I wish this game had HBAO+... I wish all games did. Nvidia has spoiled me bad.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
They just fixed the only "major" issue I had (100% CPU menu freeze). I can't remember the last time a CoD game worked so well out of the gate. Now they just need to fix a few small issues and it'll be perfect for me (blue screen at the end of a match, and tabbing out changing your display mode).

So what setting is it that seems to blur the edges of the screens near where the grenade icon indicator etc. Cause I want to get rid of that.

Samboread

Hmm. Playing multiplayer works fine for about 10min-ish then display driver crashes.. :( got the latest AMD drivers for my 390

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops_III-test-blackops3_intel.jpg

I said wow.

Extra textures + shadows are super taxing :
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops_III-test-blackops3_1920.jpg

As a matter of interest the game is 900p on Xbox One, sub 1080p dynamic on PS4 and 60fps is not sustained.
Source :
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/image-quality-and-framebuffer-analysis-for-available-games-read-the-first-post.44653/page-112
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KaDm3tTKKc

God damn, this is abysmally bad. Do publishers do this on purpose to push gamers into buying the PS4/ Xbox One versions?

Kezen

Banned
God damn, this is abysmally bad. Do publishers do this on purpose to push gamers into buying the PS4/ Xbox One versions?

I don't think so.
I believe this is just what happens when a texture settings require more VRAM that those GPU can handle.

Don't forget that you can lower settings on PC and get a very good experience. Ultra settings are meant to be punishing.

I don't think so.
I believe this is just what happens when a texture settings require more VRAM that those GPU can handle.

Don't forget that you can lower settings on PC and get a very good experience. Ultra settings are meant to be punishing.

Well OK, that makes sense.

kd-z

The game is busted for me.

I have an i5 CPU, Steam didn't download any patches, but I did download the game a bit late in the day so maybe it downloaded it as part of the installation.

I used the NVIDIA GeForce Experience to optimize the graphics and performance and the game looks like shiiiiiit. It runs at 60 fps, so at least that's good.

I have two 760 GTXs linked by SLI and 8 gigs of RAM so I thought it should look reasonably good and run nicely.

Now I changed some settings a bit, the framerate dropped to 40+ and after about a minute of playing after taking control of my character the game crashes and Windows warns me about loosing memory. Not cool.

Tried adding the WorkThreads line in the config.ini file, didn't work. I'm really disappointed, I thought I would play through the entire campaign today. Than my friends stayed over for longer than I expected and now I lost an hour messing with the settings. WTF, Treyarch? :(

Lenovo Y50 - 4K screen user here.
i7/16GB configuration.

I had to fight with the laptop for like, 6 hours to get this thing to even run. The new "game-ready" drivers for the 860M are atrocious and make the game not recognize the card. To play this game you must roll back the driver to 355.98 and the game will actually run.

For performance: The story mode with everything on Medium at 1080p is running at 28-30 FPS, while the solo Zombies stays at a locked/constant 48 FPS. (The Y50 screen itself is locked to 48 FPS.)

It's kind of disappointing going from MGSV with its smooth 60 FPS at 1080p to this. :/

Kezen

Banned
The game is busted for me.

I have an i5 CPU, Steam didn't download any patches, but I did download the game a bit late in the day so maybe it downloaded it as part of the installation.

I used the NVIDIA GeForce Experience to optimize the graphics and performance and the game looks like shiiiiiit. It runs at 60 fps, so at least that's good.

I have two 760 GTXs linked by SLI and 8 gigs of RAM so I thought it should look reasonably good and run nicely.

Now I changed some settings a bit, the framerate dropped to 40+ and after about a minute of playing after taking control of my character the game crashes and Windows warns me about loosing memory. Not cool.

Tried adding the WorkThreads line in the config.ini file, didn't work. I'm really disappointed, I thought I would play through the entire campaign today. Than my friends stayed over for longer than I expected and now I lost an hour messing with the settings. WTF, Treyarch? :(

Have you correctly set your game, especially the texture setting ?
If it's a 2gb version of the 760 you might want to tone down textures to medium for example.

What are your settings ?

ISee

This particular problem seems to be on i5 only

I am on an I5 could someone please elaborate what the i5 problem is?

EDIT:
Whatever the problem was, it seems to be fixed now... hopefully.

I can't get the game to run at steady 60fps (it's 60 most of times, but sometimes it drops down to 50, for whatever reason. Even changing setting do not help in this situations.)

i5 3570k @4.2ghz
16gm ddr3 2400
970 @ 1400 mhz

1080p
everything on high
SMAA

kd-z

Have you correctly set your game, especially the texture setting ?
If it's a 2gb version of the 760 you might want to tone down textures to medium for example.

What are your settings ?

I changed the settings to what the GeForce Experience recommends and now the game is working and running at a steady 50+ fps, but it looks terrible. And i know my PC can handle much better looking games.

Texture quality is set to medium.
Texture filtering - high
Shadow map - low
Mesh quality - low
FXAA
1900x1200 resolution

Seriously, what the heck is this:

No way I'm playing this, hopefully they'll patch this soon.

M2C3

Neo Member
Once I dropped my textures from "Extra/Ultra" to "high" the game ran much better on my G1 980 Ti's. When the game runs around 140FPS at 1440p w/ GSync it's smooth as butter and plays amazing. That first mission has a serious mem leak; pushed my RAM usage to 13GB. After that, its dropped down to around 7.5GB with around 4.5 GB VRAM usage. Only campaign so far. Excited to jump back in later today. The game does make my top Ti push 80 degrees so I'm gonna switch them as the new Ti has a much better ASIC rating. Plus, I'm gonna install one of those Noctua NF-F12 industrial 3000 fans in the GPU fan slot on my HAF X. Bought a Noctua AF14 3000 for CPU exhaust. Bring on the noise baby!

To bad at that CPU usage up above. I expected more from this port as Blops 2 was really good.

Kezen

Banned
I changed the settings to what the GeForce Experience recommends and now the game is working and running at a steady 50+ fps, but it looks terrible. And i know my PC can handle much better looking games.

Texture quality is set to medium.
Texture filtering - high
Shadow map - low
Mesh quality - low
FXAA
1900x1200 resolution

Seriously, what the heck is this:

No way I'm playing this, hopefully they'll patch this soon.

I don't think they can, 2gb GPUs are simply doing to be very badly supported.

kd-z

I don't think they can, 2gb GPUs are simply doing to be very badly supported.

? :(
I had no trouble running Shadow of Mordor or Wolfenstein: The New Order at High (or High-Ultra even?) settings. The same goes for Dragon Age: Inquisition.
The way Black Ops III looks on my PC right now is just terrible though, isn't it? I don't have eye problems, right? That shadow is pracitcally made of huge squares.

Top Bottom