• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Soundtrack is pretty good for this.

Not your usual generic intensity violins.

george_us

I just want to take a moment and appreciate the fact that Black Ops has one of the best and most bonkers narratives in the FPS genre. The entire saga is amazing.

Going from 1944 in the Eastern/Pacific fronts, to various Cold War hotspots in the 60s, to the twilight days of the Cold War in the 80s... then straight into the near future of the 2020s, and now into an unknown horrific future that can scant be imagined... with a host of rad characters such as

With bonkers plot points like body doubles and THE NUMBERS and brainwashing and crazy hallucinations and the insane near future. Plus, the acting is pretty perfect for this type of material. World at War was a great look at the brutality of World War II. Black Ops was a great psych-thriller set in the Cold War. Black Ops 2 was a great revenge story, father/son story, etc.
Yup. The Vorkuta escape is one of the most memorable moments in the series for me. The music kicking in when you start pushing the mine carts. Harpooning that helicopter. THE GODDAMN MINIGUN. So good. Personally I've never understood why people say CoD went to shit after Modern Warfare. I've enjoyed every single campaign post MW precisely because of the absurd and bombastic campaigns. Well except Ghosts because I never played it. I've had BO3 preordered digitally for months and can't wait to sink my teeth into this..

The hype got to me damn it. Pre-Ordered on BB since it'll get me the game for ~$30. Figured I could offload it in a month for practically what I paid for it if I don't end up liking it. Will be picking it up tomorrow in the morning.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Seems like it was yesterday when BO came out. BO2 came out at a weird time in my life, but great MP. The themes of warfare are great. Like mid MW days when you weren't so aware of the general consensus that CoD has generated with it.

BO1's campaign has a lot to it if you ask me, lots of quality. I'm looking forward to this too.

neurophd

The hype got to me damn it. Pre-Ordered on BB since it'll get me the game for ~$30. Figured I could offload it in a month for practically what I paid for it if I don't end up liking it. Will be picking it up tomorrow in the morning.
Word, me too...using same logic.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I played for 4 hours and while I feel the core game is solid I'm not in love with the maps, there's no real standout I always pick.

jorgejjvr

I played for 4 hours and while I feel the core game is solid I'm not in love with the maops, there's no real standout I always pick.
From the beta alone, combine was so good, love it still

So we'll see about the rest, but I already have one I always pick xD

Kalentan

Hey, should I be worried that with 5 min left, it still doesn't show nuketown nor The Giant in my downloads list? Even though I have the deluxe edition?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wow only like 15 people at the Kendall Best Buy, wtf? Past Cod games had like a hundred people

They probably told themselves otherwise. It's their loss if they don't play it. There's not a lot to gain by ignoring it, you just ignore a possibly good FPS game.

That's what I don't get. Lots of people ignore it simply because it's CoD. I don't expect to have the same experience as I did last year outside of it being a FPS.

I've been to midnight launches with 5 people and it really didn't have to be any larger. We got the game and left.

North America has a stigma attached to CoD, it separates some and for others it's another great SP/MP based game to enjoy.

jorgejjvr

Guys, I'll be playing online tonight and pretty much all this weekend. And after that I'll play a lot at night and I love dom

Psn: jorgejjvr

In hindsight, Treyarch were the perfect alternative developer. Where, then before MW2, Infinity Ward would keep COD's prestigious identity, TY were trying to go to different places (well, tried at the time) to see where COD can go since they were the non-favorite one. When MW2 faltered and thus having COD lose it's luster, Treyarch basically salvaged what was left with their own alternative brand and cranked it up to infinity (and having a far more balanced multiplayer compared to MW2)

And here we are now, tonight.

I think you're right. Treyarch was always the unfavorite among a majority of gamers, but that seems to have actually been a good thing, because it freed them up to experiment and differentiate themselves from IW, the 'king'.

I think IW was trying to tell "serious" stories with bombastic Bay-esque action, but to me, they came off so goddamn flat. However, Treyarch went in the direction of telling entertaining, pulpy stories, and they resonated with me way more.

One thing I noticed that IW did was that they would try to emotionally cajole the play simply through shocks:

Couple examples:

1) Nuclear death in MW
2) Player's death in MW2
3) No Russian

Stuff like that seemed like they were pushing the envelope, but looking back on it, they were all... shock tactics.

Treyarch went in a different direction. Actual character arcs, and I felt way more tied to the protagonist. In IW's games, you're just a gun, and the story is about the people around you. You never feel like you're part of them, not really.

Treyarch's games have the protagonists voiced. While WAW follows the IW style, it introduces and ingratiates you to Reznov, and then your player character, Dmitiri, is voiced in BO. He's presented in this grand hero fashion, which you were in WAW, and then dies horrifically, with Reznov witnessing it. I felt like the twists and deaths in the Treyarch series was way more personal, intimate, stuck with me even with it being a crazy pulpy story.

1) The Mason/Reznov twist works so much because it's Mason who trusts Reznov so much. The player in turn trusts in Mason, and it floors you.

2) Mason's potential death in BO2 hits way harder since even Woods expresses his doubts before doing the deed.

3) Having an actual family relationship between Alex and David in Black Ops 2 gives a way more personal and intimate vibe to the proceedings.

4) Hudson dying to try and save his friend's child is pretty emotional especially compared to crass shit like No Russian or Roach being burned alive.

Plus, they didn't bother trying to tell "serious" almost pretentious stories that made the cast come off as borderline psychopaths. The Treyarch characters are damaged, but they feel like more real, three dimensional people, especially shoved in these bizarre nutty situations.

Top Bottom