• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Elite: $7.99 a month? [Up: Officially Announced, Details In OP]

Grecco

I fully expect people to not read and complain and wail and gnash teeth

1.Its not 7.99

2. ITS NOT TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE

3. AGAIN ITS NOT TO PLAY MULTIPLAYER

its gonna be an extension of the stuff other companies do already. EA and their 10 dollar code thing, or Bungie with the Video Recording thing.

szaromir

Banned
So they want to suck $60 a year with the retail game and then additional $60 by putting a subscription on top of that. Good thing I never liked COD.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
A Twisty Fluken said:
I'm just shocked they didn't do it sooner.

I'm not, I guess they had to be sure that the market still wanted a game not developed by IW which BLOPS proved.

kamspy

If this brought a steady (and I mean very steady) stream of content I'd have no problem subbing for a few months.

saunderez

Grecco said:

1.Its not 7.99

its gonna be an extension of the stuff other companies do already. EA and their 10 dollar code thing, or Bungie with the Video Recording thing.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good Activision/COD bashing!

LQX

I love COD more than any MP game but they can get the fuck out of here if they they think I will pay a monthly fee. This shit better be a added service outside of the core MP experience with a fair amount of maps.

neptunes

A monthly subscription for a more routine and frequent DLC? I don't see the problem.

At least their not charging for multiplayer...yet

Cels

ITT: People who don't read the article:

"In an interview, Activision Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said he isn't worried about pushback from gamers about the Call of Duty Elite fee because players will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service."

FLEABttn

Banned
mxgt said:
lol @ 'hyper realistic combat simulator'

smh

Anyone who pays for XBL and then this on top is insane.

It's cool cause you'd be a couple cans short of a 6 pack to pay for Live to begin with.

I will never pay ____ per month for anything involving one game. Not even like the game will be $40 at launch or anything.

Nooooope.

If anything I think this is more aimed at the Bungie title.
Juan29.zapata said:
I'm not, I guess they had to be sure that the market still wanted a game not developed by IW which BLOPS proved.
And WaW didn't?

The M.O.B

- Pay Bank Account Bills
- Pay Internet bills
- Pay for XBL service
- Pay for COD Elite

X_X

Nah, I never care for the extra DLC anyways, so Im fine with the base game.

ElRenoRaven

Rendition said:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...55310423496054.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

"Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game. In a move industry executives describe as a first, Activision plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service, which will provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new "Call of Duty" levels to play.
Activision executives said they haven't yet figured out how much to charge for the service, but they expect the cost to be less than fees for comparable online-entertainment services, such as a $7.99-a-month Netflix Inc. movie subscription. Portions of the service will be free, including features inspired by Facebook Inc. that will let "Call of Duty" players meet for online gun battles with others who share various affiliations and interests."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I told you it was coming. I knew it. Next stop charging to play the game online. It's only a matter of time. Once the sheep buy this shit then they'll simply take it to that next step.

Shame really. FPS games never really catch my attention for long but I'd be a liar if I said I didnt at least enjoy the time I spent with the last couple COD's.

With how many copies they sell you'd think that would cover costs, especially since they dont do dedicated servers. But on the other hand its stupid to leave money on the table. I just hate to think what this might lead to if other companies jump on board.

neptunes

Are people reading the OP properly or no?

How is getting more content on a monthly basis a bad thing? as opposed to once every 4-5 months? I hope it includes balances and slight fixes as well.

saunderez

Gravijah said:
If the maps are exclusive, doesn't that basically force people to pay?
Who says they will be exclusive? It's more likely that Elite members will get the maps first, with them releasing through the regular DD channels later on for the usual price.

woolley

If this goes well for Activision with this I can see them making the next games multiplayer totally subscription based.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what this extra content will be? And if it'll intermittently be released or a weekly basis? Either way, it sounds terrible. There's no way Activision has good quality worthy content to provide subscribers until the next installment comes out. And "Call of Duty: Elite"? Numbers replacing letters in trailers? STOP THIS

and btw, what happened to them stating they'll never charge monthly subscrptions? Kotick's greedy ass probably threatened a salary cut to the whole staff if this wasn't executed.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So 8 dollar premium to get access to more than two online maps. Sweet, maybe Bro-shooters will finally die.

hamchan

Doesn't this mean they need to make a crapload of maps each month to make the sub worth it? I'm interested to see what features it has but I'll probably stick to playing the base game and buying map packs.

EDIT: Wow a lot of people are not reading properly and thinking this is a sub for the whole online component.

Lol, you may be outraged but you know,in you heart, that millions of people will pay religiously that fee every month.

Gaming, you're already dead.

Hyunkel6

Cels said:
You will still be able to compete online without subscribing so I don't see a big problem with this.
Pretty much. I never buy map packs or any "bonus" content anyway. I don't think this is going to be a problem for me.

Gravijah

saunderez said:
Who says they will be exclusive? It's more likely that Elite members will get the maps first, with them releasing through the regular DD channels later on for the usual price.

I said if. And I'm sure a majority of the CoD players want to be first so they'd pay just for the ability.

Cels said:
ITT: People who don't read the article:

"In an interview, Activision Chief Executive Bobby Kotick said he isn't worried about pushback from gamers about the Call of Duty Elite fee because players will still be able to compete against each other online without subscribing to the service."

If this is the case...they are going to need to offer some pretty compelling shit in order to get people to pony up the monthly charge.

Grecco said:

1.Its not 7.99

I'll tell ya, an EA ONE TIME charge of 10 bucks is a lot better than 8 dollars a month for probably 4 maps every 6 months.

Atomski

Reilly said:
Activision executives said they haven't yet figured out how much to charge for the service, but they expect the cost to be less than fees for comparable online-entertainment services, such as a $7.99-a-month Netflix Inc. movie subscription.

Activision executives said they haven't yet figured out how much to charge for the service, but they expect the cost to be less than fees for comparable online-entertainment services, such as a $7.99-a-month Netflix Inc. movie subscription.

So 5 bucks?

Massa

AceBandage said:
The actual price is COMPLETELY irrelevant. The fact that they have the fucking balls to charge people, per month, to play an online shooter is disgusting.

Except that they're not, you can still play Call of Duty for free (well, you pay for the game and some will also pay for Xbox Live).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The frustrating thing isn't so much that Activision is trying to do this, but the fact that gamers will lap it up. Hell, some will probably defend it, we've seen people defend even more anti-consumer practices than this. Don't hate the game, hate the player that enables the game.

According to the text in the OP, it doesn't sound like something thats gonna totally fuck over the non-subbers, but it'll probably bring in a ton of easy cash for Activision (a fool and his money, etc) and I'm sure that publishers that make better games will want a piece of the action.

Buying things does not enhance my gaming experience, you can count me out.

Vire

This is such a god damn slippery slope. We used to get these features for free...

Back in the day:

PC Extra Maps - Free

Online Website Stat Monitoring - Free

Social Integration - Free

The next logical step is to start charging for multiplayer. Fuck Activision if they think they are going to start a revolution here. I really hope this fails miserably so that other companies won't adapt to this bullshit. Games are expensive enough at the raised price of sixty dollars.

Exuro

bigdaddygamebot said:
If this is the case...they are going to need to offer some pretty compelling shit in order to get people to pony up the monthly charge.
Exclusive maps will cause tons of players to buy into the service.

DMeisterJ

Banned
No. Just no.

If this means that they will no longer charge for map packs? It might make some sense, but I'm not paying a monthly fee for a game that I paid 60 for, unless they're charging less than 60 for it, which I doubt.

smh Activision.

Top Bottom