• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Games will be made by outside contractors moving foward says leaker

twilo99

Every COD gets just a year so if you fancy just one six month season, limited game modes and 7 maps before they cut support. Then a new COD, then be my guest and go all in.

Just talking about the quality, otherwise yes the current CoD teams are extremely good at pushing out games on a yearly basis.

danklord

Gold Member
Call of Duty had an incredible run, RIP

PressFtoPayRespects.jpg

clarky

Gold Member
Just talking about the quality, otherwise yes the current CoD teams are extremely good at pushing out games on a yearly basis.
Thats why i dont get the layoffs. They get these out by the skin of their teeth some years. if they are dropping to just MW and BO with expansions in-between then these moves would make more sense but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I know you play COD like me, im worried about the future all of a sudden.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
This has got to be fake, right?

Why buy them if you dont want them to continue the IP you paid billions for?

If true that means they just wanted all IPs. The rest is probably dispensable for them.

Last edited:

Famipan

Wouldn’t surprise me if moving forward ATVI lets Chinese TiMi (who made they great success COD Mobile) or other Chinese devs who make fortunes on F2P games and doesn’t fray from using AI, gets to make COD games.

China is cheaper, good enough, can add a fresh new style to a stagnated series.

twilo99

Thats why i dont get the layoffs. They get these out by the skin of their teeth some years. if they are dropping to just MW and BO with expansions in-between then these moves would make more sense but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I know you play COD like me, im worried about the future all of a sudden.

I think they will slow down the release cadence unfortunately and the only hope is that the quality will go up... but I have doubts. I really don't mind the yearly cycle, and all things considered, the games are actually not that buggy..

No need to worry, ultimately not much will change (besides what I mentioned above), unless of course they change course completely.

Last edited:

soulbait

If this is how I think it is, what this really means is they will hire contract workers over Full Time Employees (FTE) when they need to ramp up production. The contract workers will still go to the office and be part of the "team" but will be replaced when their contracts are up. There will still be a set number of FTEs, mostly being their senior developers and such. I am not defending this, because I actually think this approach can add a lot of technical debt, but with the way the cycle of game development can go, it makes sense. You don't need a full sized team working all the time. By having a good portion of the team as contractors, it makes it easier to scale up and down your workforce.

Where I work at, we have a similar approach (one of the main things we build are large-scale, enterprise ecommerce solutions). We have a good combination of FTEs and contract workers. When a large project comes is, we will hire mostly contractors to help work on the project, with our senior FTE developers, architects, and project managers leading the project. When the project is up, if there is not another project in the waiting, the contractors are lowered in size.

I personally would never want to be a contractor again, but many people like it. They do get paid more, but they usually do not have full blown benefits. We could not afford to keep all of them as fulltime employees. This approach works for us due to how we are dependent on sales coming in for projects, but it can cause issues like I mentioned before with tech debt.

One thing that does not make sense for this though, is the cycle of COD games that there has been. It really seems like a developer could roll off of one COD game and continue work on another, minimizing the amount of downtime between development at a single studio. However, maybe due to the number of developers, it is still too many for that approach so some FTE developers need to be transitioned into contract roles? Or maybe MS' goal is to lower the overall number of COD games in the future?

Of course this is all speculation, and only MS truly knows the strategy behind this. At the end of the day is about capitalism and making money. It really sucks for those who lost their jobs.

diffusionx

Gold Member
But they are messing with what made it what it is. They start messing with the formula, it's not going to be the same. I get what you mean though but there are shitty nikes as well. If COD starts to suck, it won't matter what the name is. It may take a few iterations to fall but this doesn't seem like a good idea.
You're talking about the same company that set up 343 lmao.

That said, COD needs a shot in the arm. Activision has been a COD studio primarily for a while now and like, the games suck. MW2019 and BOCW were terrific but since then they've been terrible. I don't think that this cadence of releasing this massive full featured $250M+ game every single year is doable anymore... And I also think it's not good for us. Like, why do we have to start at level 1 with none of our unlocks every year (I realize this year broke that trend, but for a worse reason, because they charged $70 for a DLC pack), why do we have to abandon games we like for ones we don't (I loved BOCW and they dropped it for... Vanguard), it just makes no sense.

MS doing what they do best…….ruining companies and IP’s. What an outright shitshow. Now maybe people will realize why so many have called them out for the utter shite practices they continue to do in regards to studios and games. COD is dead as we know it now more than ever. What a bunch of MORONS over at MS. The Xbox brand has truly become a laughing stock and totally irrelevant more and more with each day that passes.

havoc00

This sucks I expected stuff like MS putting cod on Azure servers and cleaning up the old games esp since they are coming to GP. Not this shit

Crew511A

So this is how COD dies.

If it didn't die after Vanguard, nothing will kill it.

Are you afraid we won't have more genius ideas like taking MW2 2011 maps, turning them into DLC for MW2 2022, and them just turning it into a whole new game called MW3?

This franchise should have died around 2019. At this point, nothing Microsoft does will do anything to hurt the quality of the franchise.

Markio128

They’ll probably make it 3rd person, then folk can argue that some of the best games of all time are 3rd person.

T4keD0wN

Sad thing is its not like people will stop buying Call of Duty even if the quality massively goes down, that thing sell on name alone. But they sure are bold and stupid as hell for being willing to take the risk.

How reliable is the source?

Last edited:
Top Bottom