• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Leaker: PS5 releases in Japan November 14th/November 20th worldwide for $499

Zero7

Sony know they will by default against Xbox in Japan, so kinda pointless releasing it there first. Their main focus will be the west.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
How? Every PS up until PS4 launched first in Japan... what makes you say otherwise?

Because that market isn't playstations primary focus anymore.

Is it possible sure, but looking at the numbers I just don't see it anymore

Last edited:
Because that market isn't playstations primary focus anymore.

Is it possible sure, but looking at the numbers I just don't see it anymore
PS has always sold better outside of Japan by double the amount at least especially in NA so why would Japan have ever been the main focus compared to now?

Dr Bass

This happened in the last thread where this week difference was making people throw their arms up in disbelief. I don't know if the rumor is true, but why is launching a week earlier in Japan so hard to believe? It's a Japanese company and they've done this before. It's not a big deal. All of it makes sense to me. My question is what is the digital only price?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'll stick with my prediction -

- November 20th, 2020 World Wide
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition - $500
- PlayStation 5 Disc Edition - $600

iamvin22

Industry Verified
PS has always sold better outside of Japan by double the amount at least especially in NA so why would Japan have ever been the main focus compared to now?

Because Nintendo has eaten that market up at an insane level. Nintendo would have to fail on purpose for Sony to get back to those ps2/s3 levels. Numbers don't lie

Megatron

It is NOT going to release in Japan first. This ain’t 2000. 90% of the consoles sold in Japan would be getting imported to NA and Europe.

TigerKnee

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They should release it at $600. They are going to sell out regardless. What's the point of losing out on all that money? Sony fans are not going to flock to Xbox just because it's $100 less.

Edit - One of those buying it will be me!

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I'd like to know if that 500$ is for dsic version or all digital. Either way I still think it's a good price for next gen considering the power of both consoles and it would be inline with the value proposition Sony mentioned a few weeks ago.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't see Sony releasing PS5 in Japan first either. But you never know.

Maybe they are going to do it to suck up and show respect to Japanese gamers in hopes doing that will propel console interest by getting first dibs.

Console sales in Japan have dropped like a rock for ages and everyone goes mobile. Guess nobody wants to play games in front of a TV anymore there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They should release it at $600. They are going to sell out regardless. What's the point of losing out on all that money? Sony fans are not going to flock to Xbox just because it's $100 less.

oI5HblH.jpg

If they release it at $600 in Japan they might as well not have bothered.

Codes 208

I'll stick with my prediction -

- November 20th, 2020 World Wide
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition - $500
- PlayStation 5 Disc Edition - $600
I’m more in the $450 for digital and $500 for physical camp. The specs are a leap from the PS4 but honestly come off as too modest for $600.

the XSX however sounds like it’ll hit between $500-600

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Because it'll piss people off. I get what you're saying. In pure demand/supply, you could probably jack the price up to $1000 and the first million or two will sell out.

But then if you crash the price down to $500 3 months later for everyone else, it pisses people off. Businesses can't flip flop on pricing to squeeze out sales like that every month.

Selling consoles at stores for set and stable pricing isn't the same as a guy setting up a booth at a flea market and bargaining on price with every buyer trying maximize every nickel.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Getting a price in gaming is like extracting an eyeball out of a human let’s go already this is all SONY’s doing gamers are storming them for a price and they’re loving it

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition - $449 or 399
- PlayStation 5 Disc Edition - $499

are my guesses.

Good predictions but I can't see any console from either side ending in "49". The last console to do that was Wii U if I remember correctly and that didn't last long.

I’m more in the $450 for digital and $500 for physical camp. The specs are a leap from the PS4 but honestly come off as too modest for $600.

the XSX however sounds like it’ll hit between $500-600

Same as above. Don't see either brand going with "49". I simply believe that Sony wants to push their digital console and while majority will say that the best way to do that is by underselling it at $400, I disagree. I believe the best way to do that is by overpricing the disc edition.

As for Series X, I see it being no more than $500 with the Series S being no more than $300.

yurinka

Sounds legit. The pricing makes sense for the normal SKU and the date too considering the release date of Cyberpunk 2077 and AC Valhalla release dates: Nov 17 and 19.

baphomet

Even if he's guessing it's pretty much a given that the disc console is $499 and launching on, or very near, the 20th.

Bolivar687

Banned

486yj2.jpg

Given that robot factory in Japan they’re using now, I actually can see them releasing there a week earlier this time.

Also $500 for the disc version and $400 for the digital still makes the most sense to me, allowing them to keep the PS4’s perfect price point by offsetting the cost with the PSN’s higher profit margin, while still offering a physical media version to prevent customer backlash.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Given that robot factory in Japan they’re using now, I actually can see them releasing there a week earlier this time.

Also $500 for the disc version and $400 for the digital still makes the most sense to me, allowing them to keep the PS4’s perfect price point by offsetting the cost with the PSN’s higher profit margin, while still offering a physical media version to prevent customer backlash.

Aren't they currently still using that for just Playstation 4 systems?

Top Bottom