• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Mobile Announced for North America, Europe, and More

Bullet Club

Banned

Call of Duty: Mobile Announced for North America, Europe, and More

Finally, COD fans are about to get a Call of Duty game made for mobile in the countries outside of China, including the United States.

For years longtime COD fans have been begging for a decent Call of Duty game on mobile devices. Something that could be played on the small screen but didn’t sacrifice it’s twitchy gameplay. Now, it finally seems like Activision is going to make that happen, as earlier tonight the publishing giant announced that Call of Duty: Mobile, a Tencent-developed, Chinese-only game (at least up until this point) will be making its way to other countries soon.

The game itself is a free-to-play, multiplayer-only version of Call of Duty, featuring the most popular maps, weapons, characters, and more from across both the Modern Warfare and Black Ops series’. This means players can use, for example, the Type 25 from Black Ops 2 on Crossfire from Modern Warfare 1, while playing as Ghost from Modern Warfare 2. The possibilities for this game seem endless, at least right now. In addition, Activision also teased that Zombies and a battle royale mode (though not explicitly Blackout) will be coming to the game in the near future.

To celebrate the game’s announcement, the developer and publisher also released the first trailer. In it, you can see exactly what the developers are aiming for with Call of Duty Mobile. You can, of course, check it out at the end of the article.

Call of Duty Mobile is coming to iOS and Android devices sometime later this year. The game’s beta is set to launch sometime this Summer. To sign up for it, all you have to do is click here.

Source: Dualshockers

GenericUser

>signature multiplayer

now I know which buzzword I don't like and can finally post in that other thread.

"signature multiplayer" aka the same old shit you've been playing for over a decade.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Bullet Club Bullet Club This was previously known as Legends of War, it is renamed to the much simpler Mobile for the international market. See this thread.

Interesting that this is running on Unity, with PBR and all. Visually it is definitely into PS360 territory, so the PBR implementation is similar in visual look to late-gen PS360 titles like Remember Me/Alien Isolation.

On an unrelated note, given the soft look, this also makes me think that The Elder Scrolls: Blades, another stunning looking mobile title, is also using Unity. The light quality looks very similar and there might also be a PBR pipeline in use. Then there is also the fact that all the positions for Bethsoft's mobile titles are done with Unity in mind, so i reckon that Blades is using Unity aswell, with a similar visual pipeline as COD Mobile here.

Very excited for this, didn't expect a BR mode to be bolted on it on top too.

Visuals looking very Xbox one s level.
In the sense that it uses visual tech now commonplace in PS4/XBO titles like PBR, but PS360 had this aswell. Its predominantly the texture resolution taking a hit and it clearly looks like a last-gen outing. Which is still a huge achievement, mind you.

Are you joking? Xbox 360 level or switch maybe. That is a serious downgrade from the current gen call of duty games.
But it is a huge improvement on mobile compared to what we are used to. The only titles so far that look similar are Modern Combat Versus and (perhaps) Shadowgun Legends.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Was tht "more to come" part showing the choppers, about an imminent BR announcement? That looked like the initial Blackout sequence before your dropped off in the island. If so, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Looks pretty good to me. I've nothing against playing games on the phone but it depends on the type of game. FPS games is a big no from me.
I'm not port begging here because I don't really care if they do or don't but wouldn't it make sense for them to bring this to the Switch?
I know a call of duty game was rumored for a while but never came to light.
This seems more than possible.

Ramzy

I can’t imagine this will be enjoyable to control.

I’ve tried several FPS and TPS games on mobile over the years and none have ever controlled well. Ambiguous touchscreen controls with no tactile feedback, and dozens of action buttons littered all over the screen feel like death to play.

But I’m sure this will be semi popular either way.

Last edited:
I am sure there is a market for it... in China. But I don't know many people here in the US who get excited over playing an FPS on their mobile devices.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I am sure there is a market for it... in China. But I don't know many people here in the US who get excited over playing an FPS on their mobile devices.

Pubg and Fortnite are doing great on mobile and U.S. Is a big part of it. Just looked it up on my computer and Pubg alone, specifically in the U. S. Is raking in 158,000 daily in revenue estimate wise. I went to thinkgaming.Com and found that info. I imagine Fortnite is way higher.

https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/210591/pubg-mobile/

Last edited:
Pubg and Fortnite are doing great on mobile and U.S. Is a big part of it. Just looked it up on my computer and Pubg alone, specifically in the U. S. Is raking in 158,000 daily in revenue estimate wise. I went to thinkgaming.Com and found that info. I imagine Fortnite is way higher.

https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/210591/pubg-mobile/

Good lord. If there's a market then I guess why not, but shifting your entire business to one market is insanely reckless. I really hope they realize that mobile isn't the future.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Good lord. If there's a market then I guess why not, but shifting your entire business to one market is insanely reckless. I really hope they realize that mobile isn't the future.

Diversity is always safer. I think they know a good balance will reap them stable and good profit. Hopefully chasing that fast dollar doesn't cloud their judgment then again their console games always sell a ton and their BR is making them good money too.

sol_bad

Makes sense as there seems to be bigger money on mobile, any way they choose they can screw themselves for all I care.

Activision Blizzard are essentially a dead company to me. Their IP's are all dead except COD and I wouldn't trust them with a new stand alone Crash Bandicoot game.

wipeout364

Bullet Club Bullet Club But it is a huge improvement on mobile compared to what we are used to. The only titles so far that look similar are Modern Combat Versus and (perhaps) Shadowgun Legends.
I agree it is a great looking game but I was not sure if the poster I quoted was serious or trolling the Xbox because it is not even close to the last couple of CODs on Xbox and PS4.

stranno

Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies had terrible controls but the gameplay and graphics were quite good.

Strike Team was one of those GLU Mobile static shooters IIRC.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I agree it is a great looking game but I was not sure if the poster I quoted was serious or trolling the Xbox because it is not even close to the last couple of CODs on Xbox and PS4.
It does however share some visual technologies that are common place on current-gen, like PBR.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies had terrible controls but the gameplay and graphics were quite good.

Strike Team was one of those GLU Mobile static shooters IIRC.
Strike Team was an RTS and FPS, not a Glu Mobile static game.

splattered

My hands cramp so hard and hurt playing PUBG and Fortnite on my Note 9. Get me a decent light controller cradle and I'd happily give this a shot.

Tesseract

Banned
you must be out of your goddamn mind to play something like this on a touch screen

on the other hand, i regularly play a port of quake 3 on my android so what the fuck do i know

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Looks pretty good to me. I've nothing against playing games on the phone but it depends on the type of game. FPS games is a big no from me.
I'm not port begging here because I don't really care if they do or don't but wouldn't it make sense for them to bring this to the Switch?
I know a call of duty game was rumored for a while but never came to light.
This seems more than possible.
fps is actually better on a phone than a console in my opinion because you can do quick 180 degree turns with the touch pad and fine aiming with the gyroscope. On an iPhone you also have 3D Touch so you just press the screen harder to shoot instead of a digital button.

TUROK

Just played a few rounds of it. Controls alright, but people really suck at it right now because I was getting absurdly high K/Ds.

Graphics look good, some aspects of it look as good or better as the last gen CoDs, but others look worse. The character models in-game seem to lack any sort of normal maps like they have in the menus.

Game is in-game currencies and MTX heavy, which is absolutely no surprise but eh, free CoD on my phone is dope. I'll never pay a cent for anything and be completely fine with it.

It's COD with all the great PUBG Mobile features. What's not to love? PUBG is easily the best and most impressive mobile shooter (in some ways it's even better than the main game).
After a couple of matches, I'd say COD is just as awesome and will earn billions. Looks, runs and plays great on my S7. I can even customise the interface to move things around the cracks in my screen :messenger_hushed:
It's astonishing how smart and talented Tencent's developers are. Compare PUBG/COD to Shadowgun or Modern Combat - these dudes are a decade ahead of Western competition!:messenger_hushed:

Just played a few rounds of it. Controls alright, but people really suck at it right now because I was getting absurdly high K/Ds.

They're bots lul
First few matches are against bots, same as in PUBG Mobile. You'll be matched against people as you level up a bit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you want to join your friends please use 12whalecoins to get some ammo

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Is it only in beta on PC or can I get this on iOS right now? I tried looking it up on the App Store but didn’t see it.

You can play it on PC using the official Tencent emulator: https://tgb.xcloudgame.com/
Make sure you use the same login (I use Facebook). The controls are classic COD but it doesn't feel as good. It doesn't look good on a monitor but who cares, it's good for some random gameplay or loadout checks.
It should be up on iOS too.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
You can play it on PC using the official Tencent emulator: https://tgb.xcloudgame.com/
Make sure you use the same login (I use Facebook). The controls are classic COD but it doesn't feel as good. It doesn't look good on a monitor but who cares, it's good for some random gameplay or loadout checks.
It should be up on iOS too.
I rechecked. Typed the title into the search bar exactly and didn’t see it.

I scrolled down about 15 games and apps before it finally popped up. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

flacopol

It's a free-to-play game.

Question-Rage-Face.jpg

Graphics look good, some aspects of it look as good or better as the last gen CoDs, but others look worse. The character models in-game seem to lack any sort of normal maps like they have in the menus.

Game is in-game currencies and MTX heavy, which is absolutely no surprise but eh, free CoD on my phone is dope. I'll never pay a cent for anything and be completely fine with it.

large.jpg

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Played a few games. 1.44gig install. Plays OK. Hammered all I played. Controls OK. Auto gunfire. Going prone, I slaughtered people using same tactics used on the console versions. Also, p3ople suck at mobile controls. 📱

Top Bottom