• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Post-Launch Approach To New Content

Mista

Banned
MV5BNjgzYzNiMmUtNzlmYi00ZDdiLWJhODYtNDAxOTMxZjg2NTZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODA2MTkwODk@._V1_.jpg

A message from the Call of Duty team.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is almost here. From the moment this project began three years ago, the energy has been extraordinary.

We’ve set our sights on not only creating the best game possible this year, but also on breaking down walls and bringing the community together. Starting with Modern Warfare, we will be:
· Introducing crossplay to unite the community across platforms for the first time.

· Removing Season Pass and a la carte DLC multiplayer map packs to ensure everyone can play together.

· Delivering free post-launch multiplayer maps and modes for all players.

· Releasing post-launch multiplayer maps and modes simultaneously on all platforms.

We are excited about what these changes will bring to Call of Duty players. That said, we also recognize there is one more topic that many fans are interested to learn more about.

Today, let’s address the basics for the in-game economy coming in Modern Warfare.
· We are introducing a new Battle Pass system, not a loot box system.

· All functional content that has an impact on game balance, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked simply by playing the game.

· The new Battle Pass system will allow players to see the content that they are earning or buying. Battle Passes will launch timed to new, post-launch live seasons, so you can unlock cool new Modern Warfare-themed content that matches each season.

· With the new Battle Pass system, players will be able to earn COD Points by playing the game.

· There will be both a Free Stream and a Premium Stream of content in the Battle Pass System in Modern Warfare. New base weapons will be earned through gameplay, simply by playing Modern Warfare. Functional attachments for base weapons can be unlocked through gameplay as well just like in the game’s Beta.

· The Battle Pass and the In-Game Store will feature a variety of cosmetic content that does not impact game balance.

The Battle Pass System for Modern Warfare will not launch when the game releases on October 25th. Here’s why: First and foremost, we are all focused on making the Day One experience awesome. Second, it’s important to us that everyone who is playing Modern Warfare has the chance to work their way through the new game and unlock all the rewards that are waiting for you. We expect to launch this system for Modern Warfare later this year.

Understandably there are still questions around how the economy will evolve throughout the post-launch, live seasons. We recognize this will take time to fully demonstrate. Please know we are committed to delivering a fair system guided by the principles we’ve outlined here, and will continue to monitor feedback and player engagement to help us achieve that goal.

Please look for more information on the live seasons and post-release content plans for Modern Warfare throughout the year and beyond.

We are looking forward to playing in just a few days.

Thank you.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I hate that a full priced title felt the need to acquire a Battlepass system. I get that the "popular game" had it, but it's also free, soooooo...

Woo-Fu

Banned
I hate that a full priced title felt the need to acquire a Battlepass system. I get that the "popular game" had it, but it's also free, soooooo...
One can safely ignore the battlepass though, so what's the issue? You don't get to unlock battlepass fluff? Well without the battleplass there wouldn't be any battlepass fluff. Which means not buying the battlepass is exactly the same experience you'd have if there were no battlepass at all.

I don't understand why people expect publishers to foot the bill for servers indefinitely without some sort of post-sale revenue stream to keep them going.

Last edited:
I'm pre-loading on Scorpio atm, and we DO get the Ops Mode 🤔?? Yea? ..confused, thought it was locked out for a year.

Tried to upload a screengrab od my pre-load que but this retarded upload thingie doesn't work, "failed upload" 🤢

MiguelItUp

One can safely ignore the battlepass though, so what's the issue? You don't get to unlock battlepass fluff? Well without the battleplass there wouldn't be any battlepass fluff. Which means not buying the battlepass is exactly the same experience you'd have if there were no battlepass at all.

I don't understand why people expect publishers to foot the bill for servers indefinitely without some sort of post-sale revenue stream to keep them going.
Very true, I was simply saying I think it's silly to include such a thing in a fully priced product. Primarily because battlepasses felt just in a F2P title, IMO.

I mean, it was being done for several years before any of this existed. Sure, it existing surely helps pay for it all, and times have changed, etc. I think it would just be interesting to see it done in a different way.

I went ahead and preordered the game the other night as without DOOM Eternal dropping this holiday, I have a lot more available time now, haha.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm pre-loading on Scorpio atm, and we DO get the Ops Mode 🤔?? Yea? ..confused, thought it was locked out for a year.

Tried to upload a screengrab od my pre-load que but this retarded upload thingie doesn't work, "failed upload" 🤢

Special Ops is split into 2 halves: Co-Op Missions (MW2 style) and Co-Op Survival (MW3 style). You get the Missions but not Survival.

So instead of charging an additional 60 for a 'season pass'.. you could potentially increase your profit margin by selling battlepasses 4-6 times a year, probably at 20 bucks a pop.

A new low and a new standard 🤢🤮🤧

Scummy bastids had to come up with something new cause the old version kinna plateaued .

Vol5

I think their approach is ok assuming if you can unlock decent stuff at a decent rate. Not like Apex. That's a fucking grind and shitty all round. Maybe a decent unlock after every rank up would be reasonable.

Woo-Fu

Banned
One thing I noticed about Apex's battlepass is if you finish leveling it you get enough coins to buy the next battlepass without spending any additional money. I don't know if that is feasible without playing it 16 hours a day every day.

PSYGN

I really liked CoD: Infinite Warfare's system. You basically had a shop where you can buy gun variations. It took grinding but you could grind for what you want without paying.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What the hell does "base weapons" mean? If its just the weapons in the base version of the game then that quote makes zero sense.

My guess is careful wording. That means they can sneak out from dlv weapons be weapons that cost money.

Salvatron

What the hell does "base weapons" mean? If its just the weapons in the base version of the game then that quote makes zero sense.
Surely the battlepass will contain weapon variants.. just as the preorder contains the 'exclusive xrk weapon pack" Prolly primarily cosmetic with maybe an XP booster like BO4.?

There's some sneaky semantics in there. I'm gonna get the game and enjoy it regardless, but it's pretty much gauranteed they will add exclusive purchased items/weapons down the road.

Neolombax

Sounds good. I'll verify this again 2-3 months post launch. BO4 scarred me bad. I really hope they are true to their word, its a damn good game.

Bolivar687

Banned
This is the most incoherent MTX plan I've ever heard.

Also, if you acknowledge you want to leave it out of launch to make Day One awesome, does that you mean you want post-launch to fall to mediocrity??? What a dumb thing to say.

Tesseract

Banned
this is a step in the right direction

i'm prolly gonna have to upgrade my ssd if i wanna play tho, which sucks because it means a complete reboot of my systems, drivers, so on

hope they can find a way to split the sp install, i will never touch that trash

Phase

this is a step in the right direction

i'm prolly gonna have to upgrade my ssd if i wanna play tho, which sucks because it means a complete reboot of my systems, drivers, so on

hope they can find a way to split the sp install, i will never touch that trash
Why not just buy an additional SSD?

If you're already using an SSD couldn't you just clone it? Cloning an HDD onto an SSD often requires a little extra work, since TRIM, for example, isn't enabled by default...but if you're already using an SSD that shouldn't be a concern.

Tesseract

Banned
If you're already using an SSD couldn't you just clone it? Cloning an HDD onto an SSD often requires a little extra work, since TRIM, for example, isn't enabled by default...but if you're already using an SSD that shouldn't be a concern.

i'm considering it, cloning always ends up pissing me off for one reason or another tho

thanks for the response

EDMIX

I see Activision's Bullshit Machine is gearing up for another year of bullshit. The sad thing is there are actually people out there who will believe them.

Ok but, do you have any evidence that they've ever promised such a thing and did the opposite?

Look, if folks are going to attack a publisher, developer, company etc at the very least cite when they actually did this before. I don't know many companies willing to tell you something is free, only for it not to be free and not deal with some legal shit storm.

MaximusPayne MaximusPayne Correct. All post launch maps will be free of charge. I was going to buy it later next year, I might end up getting it a bit earlier because this move. I like to see them taking a page out of EA's book and supporting the community by giving them all the weapons, maps etc for free and getting rid of Season Passes.

Last edited:
# "Understandably there are still questions around how the economy will evolve throughout the post-launch, live seasons" #

the door is open for mtx:

"questions how the economy will evolve"

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
If last year is anything else to go by, I'm expecting the grind for unlocking this stuff without a Battle Pass purchase to be borderline impossible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom