• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
[Nintex] said:
Did that FN Nintendo site or whatever fake a COD: MW: R presentation slide? I like how it says that is the best looking shooter on the Wii, like that(outside of shovelware companies) is actually used as a bullet point. I also like the line: "Plays even better with a Wii Zapper!" it just screams fake. I mean someone actually wasted time to make a slide about Wii Speak Support in a game that doesn't have it. Start releasing or announcing games Nintendo, your fanbase has fucking lost it and will start hurting other people soon.
eh, i don't know. those were bullet points they used for BOTH the WaW AND the GC interviews. in addition, those screens seemed pretty legit, especially with the off center RPD on what i think is the Sins of the Father level. we've yet to see the game in actual motion, or even clear current screens.

ALLEGEDLY, a developer deconfirmed that the game had Wii Speak on gameFAQs. apparently this is the same guy who was part of supplying the info from the CoD board i posted back on page 18. right now i'm not entirely sure WHAT to believe exactly, so i'll be waiting a bit to find out. it all seems legit enough, i just want so damned footage so i can gauge my expectations. not knowing what to expect is the worst annoyance.

no matter what though, it's definitely going to kick the crap out of WaW on the Wii...

hellclerk

Andrex said:
doomed pleeease buy GH5 nao~
I have two games to buy first, and no money to do so (in addition to a slowly being paid off credit card debt), and that's not even counting MPTrillogy, Muramasa, and Scribblenauts, so i've got quite a bit of catching up to do before i even think about something i could get later.

if this has Wii speak, i'll gladly buy GH5 if you buy this :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
doomed1 said:
I have two games to buy first, and no money to do so (in addition to a slowly being paid off credit card debt), and that's not even counting MPTrillogy, Muramasa, and Scribblenauts, so i've got quite a bit of catching up to do before i even think about something i could get later.

if this has Wii speak, i'll gladly buy GH5 if you buy this :p

IF it has WiiSpeak and the trailer doesn't look like garbage. We'll see...

jarosh said:
2wqyhw3.jpg

Someone should add "Alternative Version" to this box art. :lol

Jea Song

Did the right thing
let's assume for a sec i dont own any console, but want to play cod4. Between choosing which console to buy why the fuck would anyone purchase the wii version? You can actually buy a 360 arcade, and call of duty modern warfare 2(when its released), for less than buying a wii, and this piece of crap with shitty rushed motion controls. It doesnt support wii speak, nor wii motion plus. I WOULD FORGIVE THE SHITTY GRAPHICS FOR WII MOTION PLUS SUPPORT, BUT THEY DIDNT EVEN ADD THAT.

TOTAL FAIL.

Im never going to support an Activision game again. Ahhh shit, except for cod4:MW2

Alcibiades

Jea Song said:
let's assume for a sec i dont own any console, but want to play cod4. Between choosing which console to buy why the fuck would anyone purchase the wii version? You can actually buy a 360 arcade, and call of duty modern warfare 2(when its released), for less than buying a wii, and this piece of crap with shitty rushed motion controls. It doesnt support wii speak, nor wii motion plus. I WOULD FORGIVE THE SHITTY GRAPHICS FOR WII MOTION PLUS SUPPORT, BUT THEY DIDNT EVEN ADD THAT.

TOTAL FAIL.

Im never going to support an Activision game again. Ahhh shit, except for cod4:MW2
Let's say you only own a Wii.

I'll take a solidly produced, if slightly "downgraded", mainline game any day. Will happy to give this game a look when it's released.

donny2112

Alcibiades said:
Let's say you only own a Wii.

He's not actually wanting a reasonable reply, by the way. He's just trying to PWN TEH GABAGE CONSUL!!!11!

The Wii version just keeps getting better the more we find out about it, unlike Dead Rising, so it's a nice change of pace from a third-party. :)

Rhytenow

Neo Member
The "Wii Speak" confirmation is definitely fake, zoom in on the image and you can see one of the quotation marks is red and the other is black. Not only that if you zoom in you can see the S in "Speak" isn't aligned with "peak" Also the bullet point is in red as well. I doubt Treyarch/Activision would make mistakes like this in a presentation. Also why is Infinity Ward's logo on the bottom along with "Modern Warfare 2"? Doesn't make sense

J-Rock

Banned
There is NO WiiSpeak in this game. The news is false. This was confirmed false by a Treyarch Dev yesterday after this WiiSpeak news started to pop up online.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Jea Song said:
let's assume for a sec i dont own any console, but want to play cod4. (1)Between choosing which console to buy why the fuck would anyone purchase the wii version? (2)You can actually buy a 360 arcade, and call of duty modern warfare 2(when its released), for less than buying a wii, (3)and this piece of crap with shitty rushed motion controls. (4)It doesnt support wii speak, nor wii motion plus. I WOULD FORGIVE THE SHITTY GRAPHICS FOR WII MOTION PLUS SUPPORT, BUT THEY DIDNT EVEN ADD THAT.

(5)TOTAL FAIL.

(1) Because they don't have a gaming PC and dual analog controls are terrible for shooters?

(2) You are not so good at math. The Wii is going to be $199 as of tomorrow. You also, for some reason, switched to talking about modern warfare 2 instead of modern warfare.

(3) Wii controls are generally better for shooters than dual analog controls, and you've not touched the game so you don't know if the controls are rushed or not. The controls for World at War on Wii were good, so I'm not sure why you think they'd suddenly forget how to make Wii controls.

(4) A lack of Wii Speak support is disappointing, but I can't think of ANY reason that this game would need motion plus. It's the IR pointer that makes Wii controls for shooters great. Maybe you would know that if you'd actually played a Wii shooter at some point.

(5)Yes, yes you do.

Darkman M

If dual analogs are so terrible for shooters why does the genre continue to grow on platforms with dual analog? I have no problems with dual analogs at all.

gerg

Darkman M said:
If dual analogs are so terrible for shooters why does the genre continue to grow on platforms with dual analog? I have no problems with dual analogs at all.

Because some people don't care for the added precision of the mouse and keyboard or motion controller, and so for them dual analogs aren't a terrible way of playing FPSs.

Darkman M

gerg said:
Because some people don't care for the added precision of the mouse and keyboard or motion controller, and so for them dual analogs aren't a terrible way of playing FPSs.

Mouse and keyboard is one thing but im not buying the wii-mote beig precise enough for an competitive fps no way no how.

gerg

Darkman M said:
Mouse and keyboard is one thing but im not buying the wii-mote beig precise enough for an competitive fps no way no how.

That wasn't what I was arguing exactly. The actual difference is insignificant compared to how valued that difference is.

Darkman M

J-Rock said:
What Wii FPS games have you played?

Not one but i have played Zelda Tp which focuses on alot of aiming, while it's good for stationary aiming i definitely cannot imagine playing an Online shooter at 60fps with it. Alot of the times the motes sensor gets knocked off for some reason and that definitly wont work when playing a fast shooter online for me anyways.

As the motion tech gets better i can definitely see motion taking over in the future though, just not now as is with the Wii-mote.

J-Rock

Banned
Darkman M said:
Not one but i have played Zelda Tp which focuses on alot of aiming, while it's good for stationary aiming i definitely cannot imagine playing an Online shooter at 60fps with it. Alot of the times the motes sensor gets knocked off for some reason and that definitly wont work when playing a fast shooter online for me anyways.

As the motion tech gets better i can definitely see motion taking over in the future though, just not now as is with the Wii-mote.

Motion sensing has NOTHING to do with aiming in Wii FPS games. The IR pointer is all that is used for aiming and the pointer is very precise. Try CoD:WaW Wii or The Conduit to see what I mean.

hellclerk

Darkman M said:

as others have already said, don't knock it til you try it. Wii controls won't be seen as the end all be all tourney controls, but they're incredibly precise and nothing like TP's bow controls (which were precise in the context of that game). WaW on Wii is really fast paced and exciting, it's just that the game has few multi modes.

jrricky

Banned
Darkman M said:

:lol

jtb

Banned
Sorry to go against the circle jerk, but I've played a fair amount of fps on the wii (Red Steel: awful, MP3: good, but not a fan of Prime series, The Conduit: substandard) and while the controls are competent, I wouldn't classify them with kb+m, or even necessarily above dual analog. Some people don't like dual analog, sure, but the wii-mote sure as hell is not fps perfection.

That said, if you want to play MW 1, play it on 360/PS3 frankly, because the whole draw of the game is the "next-gen" graphics (sure as hell wasn't "next gen" gameplay).

Obviously the whole post is IMO, just my 2 cents.

Edit: Sorry, it was late... meant to type MW1.

donny2112

the walrus said:
That said, if you want to play MW2, play it on 360/PS3 frankly, because the whole draw of the game is the "next-gen" graphics

1) Wii is getting MW1 this Fall
2) If the real draw is graphics and kb/m is better for controls, why not get it on PC?

hellclerk

you know, i kind of wonder what the pointer controls are going to do to the balance of the weapons in game. in WaW on Wii, the effective recoil is greatly muted by how easy it is to keep the sights on the target with how natural the hand movement is to aim. i've noticed that in the PC version of the game (which i was playing today) it's a little too easy to overcompensate for recoil, and it's the same with dual analogs, but whenever i play the Wii version of WaW, i find the controls VERY concise with ridiculously manageable recoil. the only place where they make their mark is on sniper rifles, and even there resighting the target is just as easy as PC (though not as precise). it's going to make weapons that kick like the M14 alot easier to use...

actually, what am I talking about? the more natural feeling of compensating for recoil is exactly why i LOVE Wii FPS. how is this a concern for me? i just hope they nerf the controls for the noob toob.

the walrus said:
That said, if you want to play MW2, play it on 360/PS3 frankly, because the whole draw of the game is the "next-gen" graphics (sure as hell wasn't "next gen" gameplay).
i'm sorry, but i DO want MW1 (and by extension MW2) for the "next gen gameplay." i don't think i can say it any clearer: Modern Warfare brought perhaps the best and clearest innovation to multiplayer first person shooters since Starsiege Tribes. no joke. the MW series isn't good because of the graphics, it's good because of the top tier gameplay. the graphics on the HD versions is just icing on the cake for those guys. for me, it's all about the gameplay, which is why Wii is top choice for me. it's not because it's better than kb&m, it's because it feels alot more natural to me.

J-Rock

Banned
the walrus said:
That said, if you want to play MW2, play it on 360/PS3 frankly, because the whole draw of the game is the "next-gen" graphics (sure as hell wasn't "next gen" gameplay).

Obviously the whole post is IMO, just my 2 cents.

Why the fuck are you talking about Modern Warfare 2? This topic is about the Modern Warfare 1 port to Wii.

rpmurphy

The thing about the pointer controls is that your steadiness of hand comes into play a lot more than for mouse. I have a terrible time with sniping on the Conduit because of that. I have noticed people actually reduce their their sensitivity settings, use lock-on, or use physical crutches to compensate for that (from videos, forum talk, and in-game deductions), and that to me says a lot. If a good FPS developer like Valve can make a game for the Wii, I can definitely see it hold its own as a competitive FPS in the same way other console FPSs have.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Darkman M said:

LOL, sorry, you fail.
Just at least try *HOMEBREW* (yeah, think about that) Quake Wii.
It actually DESTROYS anything released with dual-analog controls, precision-wise it's the closest thing possibile to kb+m while still managing to be a whole lot more immersive and fun to play.

J-Rock said:
Why the fuck are you talking about Modern Warfare 2? This topic is about the Modern Warfare 1 port to Wii.
Getting a little defensive, are we? Calm down guy.

This has probably been addressed but I haven't seen it anywhere: does this disc based package at least include the dlc?

Darkman M said:
Yeah or you can not be a dumbass and read over the full post.
He's not being a dumbass, you are.

Hey, what you're saying it's the same as "I played Zelda Ocarina of Time and played around with the slingshot and I'll tell you, that console is crappy for FPS's" while justifying why Goldeneye/Perfect Dark must suck without actually having played them.

Now excuse me, I have to go play some Metroid Prime 1 with that massive improvement called Wii control scheme.

J-Rock

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
Getting a little defensive, are we? Calm down guy.

This has probably been addressed but I haven't seen it anywhere: does this disc based package at least include the dlc?

Not defensive. Annoyed. It gets annoying when the uninformed post in this thread telling people why this game isn't worth playing. He corrected his statement though.

And no confirmation on the DLC yet.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
lostinblue said:
Now excuse me, I have to go play some Metroid Prime 1 with that massive improvement called Wii control scheme.
That's not a good comparison, considering that the Metroid Prime control scheme is quite a bit different (not in a good way) than what's used in most modern console FPSs.

Luigiv

Dash Kappei said:
LOL, sorry, you fail.
Just at least try *HOMEBREW* (yeah, think about that) Quake Wii.
It actually DESTROYS anything released with dual-analog controls, precision-wise it's the closest thing possibile to kb+m while still managing to be a whole lot more immersive and fun to play.
I don't think Quake Wii is a good example (not for an inexperienced player, at least). The game controls like butter on ice.

TAJ said:
That's not a good comparison, considering that the Metroid Prime control scheme is quite a bit different (not in a good way) than what's used in most modern console FPSs.
Better than talking about aiming in Twilight Princess :p Metroid Prime control scheme is not that different, apart from the fact B is to jump and not shoot and being a little slower, even in advanced mode than the turn speed in games like the conduit.

But yes, thing is I'm not much of a FPS person. One per generation is usually enough for me; now... I'm a Metroid Prime person, definitely... and that's indeed what I've been playing lately.

I'd say that Metroid Prime is a real good example of how a FPS can work perfectly on the Wii though, even while I'm on the group that will tell you it's not a FPS, but an FPA; there are differences, of course, but it's really tight, and I know there are FPS's on the Wii that are even tighter. (which is the same as saying I know Metroid Prime control scheme wouldn't be tight for those, but it's tight for what it is)

The bottom line point is that it can be tight nonetheless.

Troll troll troooll trolllllllllll troll. Troll ttttrolll. Troll trrrroll trolllllllllllering troll troll. Troll troll, trroollllll! Troll troll trollll troll.

Just wanted to join in the discussion.

Jaded Alyx said:
Troll troll troooll trolllllllllll troll. Troll ttttrolll. Troll trrrroll trolllllllllllering troll troll. Troll troll, trroollllll! Troll troll trollll troll.

Just wanted to join in the discussion.

*throws Poke'ball*

You caught a wild Troll!

klier

A direct port of the original Gamecube game. Mario Galay is technically ten times more impressive than this COD Wii here....

I'm glad I bought a PS3 Slim for these kind of games :lol :lol :lol

klier said:
A direct port of the original Gamecube game. Mario Galay is technically ten times more impressive than this COD Wii here....

I'm glad I bought a PS3 Slim for these kind of games :lol :lol :lol
Ok, not what are you talking about?

Top Bottom