• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

Massa

doomed1 said:
oh, something about correlating how the trailers and screens have to go through both activision and IW, and how there's an animosity between IW and the Wii. like i said, no supporting evidence, is a load of bullshit conjecture. it COULD be true, but i wouldn't put any money on it, even if i was a betting man.

Where did that come from?

I mean, it's one thing to not care about a platform and a completely different thing to actively dislike it.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Bit-Bit said:
I don't get it. Why would they release the very few screenshots we have of this game with bugs in it?!
the conspiracy says that IW is trying to sabotage the game so they won't have to develop for Wii.

the likely truth is that Activision just threw out whatever they had on hand to the press that was there, realizing that they probably forgot to get Treyarch to make shinier ones. this is probably a matter of a blundering PR, not so much evil, Wii hating IW staff, but it's a blunder nonetheless.

Nintendo should not allow games like this to get ported to the Wii. Any port that you can do direct comparisons against that look this horrible on the Wii just highlight how last gen the thing is.

VAIL

Massa said:

I mean, it's one thing to not care about a platform and a completely different thing to actively dislike it.

It's the same thing with Epic who are "too good" to be bothered. frankly IW can go take a flying fuck as of late.

Nintendo should not allow games like this to get ported to the Wii. Any port that you can do direct comparisons against that look this horrible on the Wii just highlight how last gen the thing is.

But it's not last gen, good solid effort look like good solid efforts on the machine

[Nintex]

I don't think IW has anything against the Wii, it just doesn't fit into their development structure. They've got their hands full already with 3 versions of MW2, some of their employees don't like Treyarch though.

Amir0x

Banned
EatChildren said:
Ooooh, yeah ok that makes sense.

I suspect ~6 copies sold nation wide at the midnight launch. Maybe.

i'm sure Activision will care about that after this game sells a million on Wii

donny2112 said:
The answer is obviously, "no." Of course if you're coming into this game expecting PS360 graphics, you already fail.

Hahah yea right. The game looks worse than last gen games. People already posted a bunch of pics of last gen games that look better than this offering. No one is expected ps3/360 graphics obviously, but this looks like a PSP game.

2009:

mwwii1.jpg

2005:

11.jpg

HUH...

VAIL

BattleMonkey said:
Hahah yea right. The game looks worse than last gen games. People already posted a bunch of pics of last gen games that look better than this offering. No one is expected ps3/360 graphics obviously, but this looks like a PSP game.

and it's been stated over and over and OVER again, that those shots were from an alpha build of the game. Treyarch did a decent job with W@W and if they say they improved on that all around it'll look decent.

Edit: Aurora thanks for clearing that up :D

VAIL said:
and it's been stated over and over and OVER again, that those shots were from an alpha build of the game. Treyarch did a decent job with W@W and if they say they improved on that all around it'll look decent.

Edit: Aurora thanks for clearing that up :D

When we see it, we can believe it. Right now we just got company damage control going on all over the COD franchise. If it's better and doesn't look like poo no more, then they should show it seeing as its supposed to be out real real soon.

They are not giving us anything to work with except joke material.

hellclerk

BattleMonkey said:
When we see it, we can believe it. Right now we just got company damage control going on all over the COD franchise. If it's better and doesn't look like poo no more, then they should show it seeing as its supposed to be out real real soon.

They are not giving us anything to work with except joke material.
well, the theory goes that it can't POSSIBLY look worse than CoD:WaW on the Wii. and quite honestly, that's enough for me. i've learned to ignore screens anyway.

Arandur said:
Still no trailer?
no, don't expect one.

doomed1 said:
well, the theory goes that it can't POSSIBLY look worse than CoD:WaW on the Wii. and quite honestly, that's enough for me. i've learned to ignore screens anyway

And how do you come to this conclusion? Thats assuming alot of things about the development of this. And COD: WaW from what I remember was 60fps on the Wii in the SP mode while this one is said to be 30.

Vagabundo

My interest in this game has increased now that I read the dev comments (from a few pages back - kudos to the poster to assembled it).

Forget the Alpha Screenshots. This could be the fps I have been waiting patiently for, but don't get greed Activision and pull price two year old content.
Don't worry folks I know they will anyway

scitek

BattleMonkey said:
And COD: WaW from what I remember was 60fps on the Wii in the SP mode while this one is said to be 30.

c87b6353141672.gif

Then you misremember.

The single player barely even hit 30fps at times.

BadSanta

I have mixed feelings about this game. Those screens are ugly as hell, but french site Gamekult (one of the best french gaming sites) has made a preview mid august and they seem to be reassured with the visuals so I want to trust them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Aurora said:
My eyes hurt.

Infinite Ward have been fucking around recently so fuck them. Essentially.
It's a shame that their reputation can be tarnished by other companies. Do you really think Infinity Ward wanted to see Modern Warfare released on the Wii? There is a reason they aren't doing the port, I'm sure. Activision, the greedy bastards that they are, are just looking to mooch off of the Wii user base once again.

if the conspiracy theories are to be believed, that's exactly how Infinity Ward wants it. i won't cite it, but there's a few out there who believe that IW is TRYING to have this game fail because they hate Treyarch and the Wii. ultimately i won't believe it until there's incontrovertible proof (like hell there ever will be), but they do make some good points...
I think it's safe to say that IW has a legitimate reason for their distaste of what Treyarch is doing and, more likely, Activision's handling of the franchise. Their hands are tied in this regard, I'd imagine. I can't imagine any company with a successful franchise wanting to see a different company take the reigns and possibly damage their rep.

I would not be surprised if some employees of IW want to see this Wii edition fail. What do they care?

I'd be curious to know if IW and Activision butted heads over the name of MW2. When they first showed the game, the "Call of Duty" label was nowhere to be found. Only later did it show up (as smaller text). It seems like they wanted to move away from the "Call of Duty" name, but Activision feels it is a huge strength. This was probably their chance to leave CoD behind for Treyarch instead.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Massa said:

Wii has won the generation in terms of sales, capturing the casual market and peeling it away from the hardcore market. Their games are hardcore, shine on PS360, and don't run well, and aren't easily ported to the Wii without significant changes to the controls, the look, and the scope. So from their perspective the Wii has cost them a huge former market. Just compare WaW sales on all three platforms and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not sure I buy that they actively dislike the Wii, but that's certainly a valid reason why the Wii might irk them.

hellclerk

dark10x said:
It's a shame that their reputation can be tarnished by other companies. Do you really think Infinity Ward wanted to see Modern Warfare released on the Wii? There is a reason they aren't doing the port, I'm sure. Activision, the greedy bastards that they are, are just looking to mooch off of the Wii user base once again.
excuse me, as a person who enjoyed a port so weak as WaW on the Wii, i'm going to purchase and enjoy this game as well. IW has damned their own reputation in recent hours, while this game has been known about for months as made by Treyarch, and they weren't the ones who released the screens, it was Activision, and they had to go through IW in order to be released.

and i'm certain that IW aren't doing the port because they feel it's beneath them. otherwise, we'd be seeing MW2 come to Wii as opposed to 1.

EDarkness

dark10x said:

There's no reason why this game can't look, play, and perform well. However, I think this is just a down and dirty port without any real regard for the quality. They wanted to give the Wii audience something, and this is what they get. Honestly, no one should be surprised, it's been like this the whole generation. Anytime the devs don't want to show their game, it's obviously a bad sign.

I originally was thinking about picking this up, but the sheer lack of information, screens, and video is deflating whatever hype I had. It's a shame, too. If it bombs, then they have only themselves to blame. Too bad, the people who are really going to pay are the Wii owners. This whole generation is just sad.

hellclerk

EDarkness said:
There's no reason why this game can't look, play, and perform well. However, I think this is just a down and dirty port without any real regard for the quality. They wanted to give the Wii audience something, and this is what they get. Honestly, no one should be surprised, it's been like this the whole generation. Anytime the devs don't want to show their game, it's obviously a bad sign.

I originally was thinking about picking this up, but the sheer lack of information, screens, and video is deflating whatever hype I had. It's a shame, too. If it bombs, then they have only themselves to blame. Too bad, the people who are really going to pay are the Wii owners. This whole generation is just sad.
What are you talking about? There's plenty of information.

the only thing we're really missing is current screens and the video, which admittedly, is the real kicker.

Sceren

Neo Member
doomed1 said:
excuse me, as a person who enjoyed a port so weak as WaW on the Wii, i'm going to purchase and enjoy this game as well. IW has damned their own reputation in recent hours, while this game has been known about for months as made by Treyarch, and they weren't the ones who released the screens, it was Activision, and they had to go through IW in order to be released.

and i'm certain that IW aren't doing the port because they feel it's beneath them. otherwise, we'd be seeing MW2 come to Wii as opposed to 1.

I'm just curious.. is the Wii the only console you own?

dark10x

doomed1 said:

Working on a port would be too time consuming, I'd imagine. These Wii versions of the games are, for all intents and purposes, different games. I would hate to see something like that detract from the proper release.

Too bad, the people who are really going to pay are the Wii owners. This whole generation is just sad.
I disagree, this has been one of the best generations ever...for the 360 and PS3. The Wii is really no different from any other post-SNES Nintendo console. Same basic lineup and many of the same 3rd party problems.

I also maintain a gaming capable PC, and well, you heard what happened with Modern Warfare 2... *twitch*
I'm sure Activision holds some of the blame on this as they just want to make more money on DLC. That said, I do think console style match making is a superior method...but I know most PC gamers don't feel that way. I can't stand the old style "server lists" of many PC games...

Still, I suppose I can see why people are upset in that case.

Activision just sucks all around and people should be used to getting dicked over by them. I'm only buying MW2 due to the fact that I got it for 50% off. I would have skipped it otherwise...

hellclerk

dark10x said:
Working on a port would be too time consuming, I'd imagine. These Wii versions of the games are, for all intents and purposes, different games. I would hate to see something like that detract from the proper release.
short a lower (but more than manageable) framerate and missing two people online, i'm not sure what you mean, as the game for all intents and purposes is the same. do you mean the control? because if that's what you meant, then you would completely understand why i want this game so bad. i know YOUR experiences with games involving the Wii pointer have been less than awesome, but mine have all been perfectly fine. aesthetically, it's infinitely more engaging and fun to use than dual analogs or even KB&M for me.

I disagree, this has been one of the best generations ever...for the 360 and PS3. The Wii is really no different from any other post-SNES Nintendo console. Same basic lineup and many of the same 3rd party problems.
and i would disagree with you. while production values have gone far up, there hasn't really been all that much improvement in how games are designed. AI hasn't really gotten better, gameplay mechanics feel homogeneous and bland, and the direction of storytelling has gone in a direction to "mirror" Hollywood, which is anything but what this industry needs, and the only game i can think of that has a system that couldn't have been emulated on a prior console is BFBC2's destruction engine, and i'm not even sure that would fly. for me, this generation has been quite disappointing on HD consoles, which is why i stick to the Wii, DS, and PC.

dark10x

short a lower (but more than manageable) framerate and missing two people online, i'm not sure what you mean, as the game for all intents and purposes is the same. do you mean the control? because if that's what you meant, then you would completely understand why i want this game so bad. i know YOUR experiences with games involving the Wii pointer have been less than awesome, but mine have all been perfectly fine. aesthetically, it's infinitely more engaging and fun to use than dual analogs or even KB&M for me.
I'm talking about the fact that you have to create entirely different assets for the Wii version. You can't re-use the same models, textures, code, etc. with the Wii version. It may be based on downscaled assets, but that still requires a lot of additional work. It's not simply a matter of taking what already exists and making it work on the Wii.

and i would disagree with you. while production values have gone far up, there hasn't really been all that much improvement in how games are designed. AI hasn't really gotten better, gameplay mechanics feel homogeneous and bland, and the direction of storytelling has gone in a direction to "mirror" Hollywood, which is anything but what this industry needs, and the only game i can think of that has a system that couldn't have been emulated on a prior console is BFBC2's destruction engine, and i'm not even sure that would fly. for me, this generation has been quite disappointing on HD consoles, which is why i stick to the Wii, DS, and PC.
Well, I don't think we can come to an agreement on this as your opinion is clearly already formed, but I DO think a lot of people give the last generation machines more credit than they deserve. AI, physics, level size and complexity, etc have all shot WAYYY up. The fact that open world games now feature mechanics better than many dedicated, linear action games last generation should show you this much. Things HAVE improved. A lot.

It's this massive increase in refinement and polish that has made a huge difference.

What makes you feel this way? How much experience do you actually have with the games of this generation?

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
dark10x said:
Well, I don't think we can come to an agreement on this as your opinion is clearly already formed, but I DO think a lot of people give the last generation machines more credit than they deserve. AI, physics, level size and complexity, etc have all shot WAYYY up. The fact that open world games now feature mechanics better than many dedicated, linear action games last generation should show you this much. Things HAVE improved. A lot.

It's this massive increase in refinement and polish that has made a huge difference.

What makes you feel this way? How much experience do you actually have with the games of this generation?

This. Things have gone up in every category, in a significant way. I challenge anyone who feels otherwise to play through Uncharted 2 both single and multiplayer and come away saying nothing has changed except things are prettier. It's not just Uncharted 2 though, there are a LOT of games that have pushed the boundaries of what could have been done last gen. The Wii has pushed things in terms of controls, some for better some for worse.

I think that the Wii's biggest contribution is Wii Sports Resort and games like that. To me, that's what's fun about my Wii, and the Wii excels in this category. I don't even want my Wii to try to do games like COD4. It's fine if devs want to do it, but I have absolutely zero interest in playing games like that on Wii. In fact, any game that requires camera control is a game I don't want to play on Wii. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but it just not as easy as pushing a second analog stick. It took me a long time to learn to use two sticks, but now it's like riding a bike, or walking...I don't even think about it, it's just an extension of my fingers, and I love playing games that way.

rezuth

obaidr said:
ok let me try it with an ingame screenshot of a 2005 PS2 game (directfeed)

2009:
mwwii1.jpg

2005:
Black_2.jpg
That is defiantly not how Black looks on PS2, this is how it looks on Xbox. I highly doubt the PS2 version looks better.

2s192sp.jpg

scitek

drakesfortune said:
This. Things have gone up in every category, in a significant way. I challenge anyone who feels otherwise to play through Uncharted 2 both single and multiplayer and come away saying nothing has changed except things are prettier. It's not just Uncharted 2 though, there are a LOT of games that have pushed the boundaries of what could have been done last gen. The Wii has pushed things in terms of controls, some for better some for worse.

I think that the Wii's biggest contribution is Wii Sports Resort and games like that. To me, that's what's fun about my Wii, and the Wii excels in this category. I don't even want my Wii to try to do games like COD4. It's fine if devs want to do it, but I have absolutely zero interest in playing games like that on Wii. In fact, any game that requires camera control is a game I don't want to play on Wii. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but it just not as easy as pushing a second analog stick. It took me a long time to learn to use two sticks, but now it's like riding a bike, or walking...I don't even think about it, it's just an extension of my fingers, and I love playing games that way.

Personally, I think it's inexcusable that we still have to control the fucking camera at all. Super Mario Galaxy was infinitely more playable to me as a result of me not having to fuck with the camera manually like I did in Sunshine. I fucking hate having to take my thumb away from the face buttons because I can't see something, it's ridiculous. And I don't think the games of this generation are disappointing in terms of physics, scale, etc, but the games themselves have become pretty stagnant for me. Too many sequels and games from the same mold. Shooters are getting on my last nerve, and the only way I can play them right now is with the Wiimote and Nunchuck simply because it's a new way to do it, but that'll get old pretty soon, too. The industry needs a wave of new talent to show up soon that isn't relegated to the download services, because the existing generation has seemingly run out of ideas.

_leech_ said:
That's not direct feed (looks off-screen).

Regardless, it's always amusing when people post the "official" Black screens, since they are all bull shots.
It was a good looking game, but no where near what many people believe.

donny2112

The opinion of anyone who thinks that The Conduit is no better technically than any PS2 FPS can be safely ignored. Modern Warfare Wii is a total unknown other than admittedly wrongly-released screenshots and developer statements, though. It might look better than Black really looked on PS2, but it may not. We just don't have actual evidence either way.

donny2112 said:
The opinion of anyone who thinks that The Conduit is no better technically than any PS2 FPS can be safely ignored. Modern Warfare Wii is a total unknown other than admittedly wrongly-released screenshots and developer statements, though. It might look better than Black really looked on PS2, but it may not. We just don't have actual evidence either way.

Eh, REFLEX is gonna be bad, either way.
I'd be surprised if this cost them more than $1 million to make.

MiniDitka

donny2112 said:
I think I still have a HQ video clip I recored of the PS2 version somewhere in my computer. If I can dig it up Ill upload it to YT and post it.

Top Bottom