• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty players asked if they would switch to Xbox to play COD Day 1 on Game Pass? By charlieINTEL

Would you switch to Xbox to play Call of Duty Day 1 on Game Pass?

• Yes will buy xbox

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Not switching

Votes: 158 54.3%
  • Already have an xbox

Votes: 77 26.5%
  • PC

Votes: 42 14.4%

• Total voters

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Spend $500 to save $70

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
dont think the strategy is going to work.
1) Hardcore COD players will just buy the game and play for 1-2 years instead
2) Most xbox owners already sub to gamepass.

Most i can see is another 30% increase if lucky?

VitoNotVito

Majority of Call of Duty players are focused on that game exclusively (perhaps also FIFA)
For them paying for gamepass doesn’t make sense because after a few months buying a full price game was a better business. The opportunity to jump for a couple of Halo matches with “no extra cost” doesn’t bring value.

I am an Activision Blizzard superfan, so when Microsoft bought them I naturally threw out all my Sony consoles and became fully invested in the Xbox™ ecosystem. I currently have six concurrent Game Pass Ultimate™ subscriptions (one for each of my six consoles, three Xbox Series X™ and three Xbox Series X™) but I will be pre-ordering the most expensive editions of this year's upcoming Call of Duty™ release (both physical and digital, naturally) regardless. If Microsoft releases any Call of Duty™ themed Xbox™ consoles or accessories I will of course be buying those as well. I have also made Phil Spencer™ the sole beneficiary of my life insurance policy and will.

“I’m gonna spend $500 for the opportunity to rent COD for $200/year.”

I don’t see many causals doing this at all. We’re also forgetting COD is going to be on a new tier with a probably jacked up price. For anyone that solely plays COD the cheaper option will always be to outright buy the game for $70. The value of GP is. In the extra games you get along with COD in the service and for causals that only play COD that extra “value” is meaningless to them.

djjinx2

I am an Activision Blizzard superfan, so when Microsoft bought them I naturally threw out all my Sony consoles and became fully invested in the Xbox™ ecosystem. I currently have six concurrent Game Pass Ultimate™ subscriptions (one for each of my six consoles, three Xbox Series X™ and three Xbox Series X™) but I will be pre-ordering the most expensive editions of this year's upcoming Call of Duty™ release (both physical and digital, naturally) regardless. If Microsoft releases any Call of Duty™ themed Xbox™ consoles or accessories I will of course be buying those as well. I have also made Phil Spencer™ the sole beneficiary of my life insurance policy and will.
Hi Colt 🤠

GHG

Gold Member

Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping see, this is what you need to aspire to if you want to become a true Xbox superfan.

Game Time Omg GIF by ABC Network

rm082e

Is everyone just assuming BLOPS6 is only coming to Game Pass Ultimate? That seems like the logical path here - it's probably going to be a push to get Game Pass Core subscribers to upgrade to Ultimate, right?

Fabieter

I'm surprised that this question is still being asked, since it's been asked so many times.

If you're going to buy Cod anyway, then buying two more full price games costs you $210 in total and gives you 3 games to play vs however many there are on Gamepass for the year. Gamepass (full price) costs $204 and comes with the online service (formerly Xbox Live) included.

That's the price comparison really. A year of Gamepass or 3 games.

Yes, there are a mix of games - some older ones, some day one releases too.

If you're only going to play Cod then it's cheaper to buy it outright, that's true.

It's your money, play 3 brand new games for something like $210 (no online). Or play hundreds of games on Gamepass (inc online) for $204.

Obviously you can get discounts very easily - Gamepass ultimate is $45 on Amazon for 3 months. So that's $180 for the year.

So if it ends up that if you're paying $70 for COD and $50 for online then that's $120 - so the difference between cod and online for a year Vs Gamepass for a year is $60 if you buy codes from Amazon.

Doesn't seem like the worst deal if you're buying COD annually and think you'll get $60 of value out of access to a few hundred games.

We dont know how expensive the tier with cod is gonna be, could be alot tho.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I will play the free single player campaign in about 3 hours I guess. Then delete for the hdd space.

MikeM

Asked a few friends on Battlenet who play MP COD what they thought of it going to GP and the general consensus among PC players is about as follows

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF
I would sub on PC for a month to play the old CODs single player modes. I’m curious to see how far back they go given that, on PC, the MP side is basically hack city.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I would sub on PC for a month to play the old CODs single player modes. I’m curious to see how far back they go given that, on PC, the MP side is basically hack city.
I can't wait to replay so many of the old campaigns and hope to do so on my PC :)

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
We dont know how expensive the tier with cod is gonna be, could be alot tho.

Eh, if they do increase the price, I wouldn't bet on it being more than 20% - still within the ballpark of making financial sense if you plan on playing a couple of first party games a year and the option of a couple of hundred third party ones too.

I really think that annual franchises like COD are a perfect fit for gamepass - for people who buy COD it's practically an annual sub anyway. Pretty easy to rationalise paying more to get everything else that Gamepass offers.

The narrative here is that it's all trash, but that's obviously not true, a quick google will tell you that there's plenty of good games on Gamepass. People who honestly say it's all trash, surely cannot actually like games.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This is GAF, most people have every console here as an enthusiast forum.

Will it sell some consoles? Probably. If they really want to move the needle, release it a month or two on GamePass before anywhere else. That would be too smart for Phil Spencer though, and they want that money ASAP.

Bridges

Lots of people here must've not played CoD in awhile because it's been entirely crossplay with cross-system chat for the last 5 years. It doesn't matter anymore about "playing where your friends are" it's really just about which controller you prefer or if you want keyboard/mouse at this point

Cod being exclusive isn’t a good thing.
It is not exclusive in any capacity. Even as far as subscription services go Ubisoft should also have rights due to the agreements made.

djjinx2

There is no ”consoles only” though, is there. If you want to play friends on other consoles there are automatically mouse/keyboardplayers from pc as well.
, right?
I have never minded, worst cheats these days are Cronus players on console. Super rare to see a proper "hack" these days (for reference I have 89 days played on MW2 + 3

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Because most do (PS5).
Are you new here, it's very pro Sony here 😂
I wonder if the PS being the overwhelming choice for home consoles since last gen and currently selling 5 x 1 against their direct dying competition has anything to do with this... is almost like this forum reflects the real market of home consoles, fucking crazy.

Top Bottom