• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Vanguard |OT|

His main issue dying so fast it felt like playing on HC basically. And I think he skipped Infinite Warfare. Lol, I forgot all about that one.

Oddly enough he enjoyed WW2 a lot, that's the only Sledgehammer CoD he liked. I personally didn't get a chance to play it.

For me WW2 was perfectly decent. I liked it a lot more than Vanguard. This plays so helter-skelter and manic by comparison.

BigLee74

Finished the campaign. It was short indeed but I had a blast and enjoyed every moment of it. It reminded me of the glorious days of CoD 1 and 2. If you like CoD campaigns I don’t think you will regret it.

I found this one to be incredibly short, with some bad levels, and some good levels. Only one really stood out for me, and that was the last one which o thoroughly enjoyed.

It was better than Cold Wars campaign, I’ll give it that. But Cold War had the better MP.

Artistic

Guess I got to reinstall Warzone...it's not included in the Vanguard files. Must be the reason why the install size is so small.

Yamisan

Caved and bought the game 2 nights ago after being let down so much by Battlefield. In all the MP videos I see on youtube Butcher or whoever is announcing all round but I can't seem to figure out how to turn him on ? I'm playing ps5 and never hear him.

splattered

This game would be 100% better if they got rid of the footprint tracker and the red see through objects/walls perk. So dumb. Totally makes this a camper/cheater fest. Lame.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Guess I got to reinstall Warzone...it's not included in the Vanguard files. Must be the reason why the install size is so small.
Uhh, no? Warzone is it's own thing (because it's free), it's not included in CW either; CW is 177GB without campaign installed, warzone is 90GB.
Vanguard has a reduced size because of some back-end rework and on-demand asset streaming.

Artistic

Uhh, no? Warzone is it's own thing (because it's free), it's not included in CW either; CW is 177GB without campaign installed, warzone is 90GB.
Vanguard has a reduced size because of some back-end rework and on-demand asset streaming.
It was included with Modern Warfare 2019.

And I can't install Warzone alone, I have to install Modern Warfare altogether, which is like 190 GBs.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It was included with Modern Warfare 2019.
Probably because MW introduced it, there's no reason to include it 2 more times since it's a free game.
And I can't install Warzone alone, I have to install Modern Warfare altogether, which is like 190 GBs.
...how?
Warzone on PSN:
Install size: dunno, don't have a ps5
Warzone on xbl:
Install size: 88.9GB

Does it force you to install MW through those links? Maybe it's an SKU thing where it thinks that MW and Warzone are the same thing somehow.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Probably because MW introduced it, there's no reason to include it 2 more times since it's a free game.

...how?
Warzone on PSN:
Warzone on xbl:

Does it force you to install MW through those links? Maybe it's an SKU thing where it thinks that MW and Warzone are the same thing somehow.
If I remember right, if you owned MW it was weirdly hard to just install warzone.

twilo99

The new map looks pretty stellar and some of the changed they've made are actually quite good..

Still not sure about that kernel level driver for the anti cheat but I guess it is what it is

Artistic

...how?
Warzone on PSN:
Warzone on xbl:

Yeah, anytime I try to download Warzone, all the install files for MW2019 appear. There's no separate install option. Owned a physical of MW2019 and Warzone is digital only, so it's strange.

splattered

So i've had severe packet burst/rubber banding issues with this game since launch, turning off the texture streaming helped but definitely did not fix it. I've also been having general internet issues but that was officially fixed as of yesterday and i'm still having the same issues with Vanguard. I noticed that it says my NAT type is moderate for some reason. Wtf. I just checked several other MP games and they ALL say open, including COD Cold War. Why is Vanguard showing as moderate and giving me issues??? This game feels so trashy to me but still crazy hectic fun. I really wish the network code for this was better.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure the only fun way to play this game is with a shotgun for the ridiculous dogs
The dogs, the shotties damn riot shields on backs.

The whole MVP selection process is dumb

Played a game of TDM and got a phone call that I didn't think would last long but ended up the whole match so I tried sniping which I did horrible at.

Come MVP selection time I was one of the final 3 with most time spent near allies and two whole people voted and I got one so tied for MVP, wtf

The seems I get Shipment half of my maps and I hate that map would much rather have map voting then MVP voting.

Side note my nephews camp that map all the time

All my Shipment maps are like this

The dogs, the shotties damn riot shields on backs.

The whole MVP selection process is dumb

Played a game of TDM and got a phone call that I didn't think would last long but ended up the whole match so I tried sniping which I did horrible at.

Come MVP selection time I was one of the final 3 with most time spent near allies and two whole people voted and I got one so tied for MVP, wtf

The seems I get Shipment half of my maps and I hate that map would much rather have map voting then MVP voting.

Side note my nephews camp that map all the time

All my Shipment maps are like this

There's a dude that got 400+ kills on shipment by camping and using flamethrower and dogs. This game is broken.
Also the aim assist is so strong it locks onto guys through walls.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There's a dude that got 400+ kills on shipment by camping and using flamethrower and dogs. This game is broken.
Also the aim assist is so strong it locks onto guys through walls.
I have never played a COD that has been this easy at times to call in nukes.

When I play on Xbox with cross play off every so often I get lobbies that seem to be pure bots and if I turn cross play on every game is filled with esport wannabe try hards

I would love to see a play list with no kill streaks and no incendiaries

Catphish

I had my run with it; uninstalled a few days ago. Quickest ever for me and a CoD game. Played it for about a month, month and a half. Some beef:

1. I'm over the Operator bullshit. Let us build our own characters like in the MW days.

2. The spawns in TDM are fucking ridiculous. Truly. I can't even tell you how many times I've spawned directly in front of an enemy, or have had an enemy spawn directly in front of me. It's laughable.

3. They've systematically removed virtually all defensive play from the game. It started with Advanced Warfare. You can hate on campers all day long, but camping should always be an option. If you get owned by a camper, you root them out. But the maps in this game prevent all defensive positioning. I'm not a camper per se, but I do like to find a spot on a map where I can see traffic, shore it up with a mine or two, engage enemies, and not have to be totally fucking paranoid about getting flanked sight unseen. There's virtually no place on any map now where you aren't exposed from at least 2 or 3 other angles. It's ridiculous. I used to hold KDRs close to 2. In the last few CoD games I've played, I'm lucky to hold 1. And that's because, unless you're good enough to run around the map like a bloodthirsty psychopath, which i am not, you're getting killed right after you kill. Take 1, give 1, time after fucking time. Ghosts, for all its criticism, was actually the last CoD to have good maps that made sense, in my opinion.

4. Enough WWII. Not because it's overdone, but because it's never done with the reverence the conflict deserves. Leave it be and stick to fiction.

Bleh.

SkylineRKR

Elfs shooting is a seasonal objective. I did them all but half of the time I didn't notice them, probably a nade or bombing run killed them or something. Krampus is weird. I stayed at the objective but I get hunted anyway. I think it counts as a kill as long as you shot him, I didn't always finish him off.

I managed to get to level 55 during the free week, double XP on everything and a little while of shipment farm.

My thoughts:

I expected to hate it but its an extremely fun clusterfuck of a game. I loved MW2019, but I hated the camping in it. Barely anyone would show themselves, they all hid in dark corners or other places of the map with ghost and other camper enforcing attributes. Vanguard plays like MW2019, but it almost completely removes the efficiency of camping. The time to action is extremely short in this game, and you will likely make kills (just grab the default STG, its one of the best weapons). Also, you get a kill if you only hit someone. Assists count as kill in this game, but it won't build towards your killstreak. For that you need to make the actual kill.

The spawns are horrible. But you also get free kills because of it, so I don't really mind. The finishing moves are awful, I tried to grind them for the operator but it barely works in bigger games since you or your opponent will be killed prematurely. Sniping is awful, but I hate snipers anyway. The killstreaks are whatever, I think the dogs are too OP and mortar is annoying AF. Shipment is terrible as always but tbh I hated it even more in 2019. For some reason I was always denied lots of kills in that game when I tried that map. Here, I grab the LMG and just shred. Hit detection is generally good though the AA is overdone. I greatly enjoy kill confirm again, because you can use tags as bait as usual. Its a more fun version of TDM, imo.

Certinty

Really enjoyed the campaign in this, story sucked but each and every mission was more or less stunning with a decent amount of variety. Quite enjoyed the playable characters too, all pretty unique.

Barakov

Gold Member
Picked this up on sale and I'm enjoying myself. I'm only on mission 3 but the campaign seems like a step above BLOPS Cold War.

The multiplayer is stupidly chaotic, broken and.......fun. I'm honestly having more fun with it than the previous game. I guess I'm enjoying myself more than other people because I've learned to stop taking the mp so seriously.

That zombie mode, though....
Shark Tank No GIF

Don't know what they were thinking with that one. Cold war's was far superior.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Picked this up on sale and I'm enjoying myself. I'm only on mission 3 but the campaign seems like a step above BLOPS Cold War.

The multiplayer is stupidly chaotic, broken and.......fun. I'm honestly having more fun with it than the previous game. I guess I'm enjoying myself more than other people because I've learned to stop taking the mp so seriously.

That zombie mode, though....
Shark Tank No GIF

Don't know what they were thinking with that one. Cold war's was far superior.
I hate to admit it but when I have a little time to kill and don't really want to concentrate as hard in a shooter like Hell Let Loose I too am enjoying Vanguard MP to a point.

I have just started backing out of Shipment and Das Haus map as those are just cluster fucks

Side note I played a Warzone round to see the new map (Havent played Warzone in months) and the first game was a fairly easy win which begs the question are they pulling a Fortnite and adding bots to early matches for people?

Barakov

Gold Member
I hate to admit it but when I have a little time to kill and don't really want to concentrate as hard in a shooter like Hell Let Loose I too am enjoying Vanguard MP to a point.

I have just started backing out of Shipment and Das Haus map as those are just cluster fucks

Side note I played a Warzone round to see the new map (Havent played Warzone in months) and the first game was a fairly easy win which begs the question are they pulling a Fortnite and adding bots to early matches for people?
I wouldn't be surprised. Getting 150 people into a single game at the same time probably isn't easy. Even for games like Fortnite and Warzone. It's a good soulution until more people come back as the season goes on.

I have never played a COD that has been this easy at times to call in nukes.

When I play on Xbox with cross play off every so often I get lobbies that seem to be pure bots and if I turn cross play on every game is filled with esport wannabe try hards

I would love to see a play list with no kill streaks and no incendiaries
No take AIM ASSIST out of this game.

There's no skill involved in doing well for yourself or the team. It's just pull up ADS and fire. The game literally locks onto a target for you and it even does so through fucking walls, its fucking crazy and infuriating.
These content creators boast about 100+ killstreaks because the aimbot assist kicks in without fail.

Don't even get me started on objective based matches because no one plays the objective. There are people camping when playing Domination I've just flat out quit playing objective based games in my playlist. There's no incentive to play the objective.
Objective based matches should reward players BIG time who play the objective.

But yeah fuck aim assist and these toddlers who think they're Cold War gods. Take that shit off and challenge me in a gunfight where the game doesn't aim for you because on mouse and keyboard we don't get these assist and I wouldn't want any aim assist.
The game should be about skill.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No take AIM ASSIST out of this game.

There's no skill involved in doing well for yourself or the team. It's just pull up ADS and fire. The game literally locks onto a target for you and it even does so through fucking walls, its fucking crazy and infuriating.
These content creators boast about 100+ killstreaks because the aimbot assist kicks in without fail.

Don't even get me started on objective based matches because no one plays the objective. There are people camping when playing Domination I've just flat out quit playing objective based games in my playlist. There's no incentive to play the objective.
Objective based matches should reward players BIG time who play the objective.

But yeah fuck aim assist and these toddlers who think they're Cold War gods. Take that shit off and challenge me in a gunfight where the game doesn't aim for you because on mouse and keyboard we don't get these assist and I wouldn't want any aim assist.
The game should be about skill.
I hate aim assist HATE IT.

I mostly play Hell Let Loose and that game requires way more precision while shooting and all aim assist does is pull my cross hair off targets more then anything while trying to put a single bullet in someone’s dome.

So have gotten used to playing without it in all games.

And yeah no one wants to play objectives if you play solo and I almost always play TDM since I play solo most of the time

NickFire

I played during two free multiplayer weekends, and grabbed it on sale recently. I've come to enjoy the game as a parody of itself with fun gameplay. If I had to describe it to an old friend, I would say its the woke version of the exact same game we played five years ago, but there isn't really much choice in what mode you play.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Anyone know of any way to get a deal on this on PC? I just want it for the campaign. The MP still looks a little too confined for my tastes.

SkylineRKR

Aim assist is horrible because it also works against you. Every single time 2 guys are in front of me the AA can't decide. Its really pissing me off. If you see those killcams and final moments, the AA is laughable. Its like a full aimbot.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well I decided to buy it for the campaign, but got into multiplayer anyway for various reasons (I prefer Battlefield for multiplayer, CoD for campaign). And I have discovered I am very, very good at it. Aside from the very first match in which I was just trying to figure out buttons and how to work my loadout, in ten matches I led every single one in points and got the best kill-to-death ratio at the end. Every match. And my team won most of them.

And it's surprising because the aim assist for console players is wild (I am on PC). In their kill cams you can see how it instantly locks on even if only a tiny bit of the opposing player is visible, sometimes even when they're concealed by something that can be shot through. That's pretty wild. Still though, headshots are king and they're easy as hell to get with a 2.5x scope and M&KB.

Also funny: there is more destructible environmental assets here than in BF2042. No shit. Of course you can't blow up walls, but you can shoot through some, and you can shoot through other objects that should be logically shot through like doors, furniture, etc. In BF2042 there's fucking glass a player can't even shoot through. Lol.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sat down this week to play through the campaign…and I really liked it.

The Midway level was my favorite. Played through the whole thing in 120hz, with VRR and the system set to Atmos.

I wouldn’t mind a sequel with this cast. A WWII A-Team mopping up Nazis after the war.

Ryuji Goda

I finished the campaign yesterday. I found it very boring and copy-paste COD. Except for the last mission where the crew is working together; it reminded me a bit of Bad Company. A real shame the whole campaign wasn't like this.

BigLee74

I hated MP on this, until MW2 came out. I now miss MP on this!

Some great maps (Das House, Dome, Casablanca, Gondola, Hotel Royal, Paradise, Tuscan, Sphere, Mayhem…), and the game mode Patrol.

Top Bottom