• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling all PAL Xbox owners (Re: ProScan, Component etc)

lexi

Banned
OK, I've recently purchased a fairly nice TV (LG Lafinion 82W) That is capable of Progressive Scan, 480p and a whole bunch of other numbers/letters. I need assistance in setting the Xbox to component, as the only option in the Dashboard seems to be PAL-60 or what I assume is PAL-50.

I've got the component cables plugged in and I do get a picture but it looks exactly like composite, I'm not discerning any difference in visual quality, Forza still looks rather pixellated and blurry -- not at all what I would expect.

Please tell me this isn't another case of PAL gamers being Shit outta luck.

scarybore

Please tell me this isn't another case of PAL gamers being Shit outta luck.

Bingo babycakes, we got shafted and can't get 480p even when we plug in a component cable. You have to have a US Xbox (or presumably a JP one, they do exist I think), or have the Xbox modded so you can change between PAL and NTSC like I do.

lexi

Banned
Urge to kill.. rising.

Why would they even have the cables for sale here then? And oops, if I mod the XBox no more Live for me!

lockii said:
I've got the component cables plugged in and I do get a picture but it looks exactly like composite,
There's a huge difference between picture quality of composite and component, even when using 480i. Something wworng in your tv's settings. I'm using RGB cable and picture is crystal clear when compared to composite.

lexi

Banned
Unless I had the two side by side, I would probably be able to pick the one with component, but it's pretty damn close. Menus and such seem a LITTLE clearer, but I don't even know if that's a placebo effect. The end point being, I'm obviously supposed to see a jump in visual quality, which I'm not. I'm considering dumping Live so that I can mod, I don't really use it THAT much, but I do like the occasional online game.

As a PAL gamer, I won't be tolerating this shit next generation.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
lockii said:
Unless I had the two side by side, I would probably be able to pick the one with component, but it's pretty damn close. Menus and such seem a LITTLE clearer, but I don't even know if that's a placebo effect. The end point being, I'm obviously supposed to see a jump in visual quality, which I'm not. I'm considering dumping Live so that I can mod, I don't really use it THAT much, but I do like the occasional online game.

As a PAL gamer, I won't be tolerating this shit next generation.

Lockii did you move to Australia?

Agisthos

If you get a modchip, you can use the pal to ntsc disc that changes your Xbox dashboard to the US format. Progressive scan will be enabled e.t.c

Kato

Enigmah NTSC/PAL switch for life!

When enabled and switched to NTSC you can adjust the 480p/720p/1080i settings in the dashboard providing your box is modded.

I hope they will not fuck this up again for the PAL release of X360 or I will need to import while kicking somebody.

joaomgcd

What is even the logic behind this decision by microsoft? I mean, the software IS ON THE XBOX (even on PAL ones), and is just disabled... Why disable something like this?? At least make an Xbox Live update to enable the option!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, I've always wondered why Pal Xboxs can't output hidef. It seems like they'd have to go out of their way to take it out.

Ditto with PS2 and games like GT4.

Presumably this is NOT going to happen with next-gen systems? And if not, what's changed?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'll see if burger can make a post in a bit, from memory of what he has done is

1. modded xbox (mandatory, then you need to switch to ntsc to change pal50/60 to the pro scan stuff)
2. hacked the cable to turn it into a component cable. I don't think xbox offer a component solution for pal? correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's s video only. The one instance where nintendo didn't drop the ball :lol although I heard they dropped it on purpose in later models, once again could be wrong.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
First, you can mod your xbox and still go on live. You just switch the mod off before going online.

Second, if you use the enigmah videoswitch, that actually sets the firmware to PAL/NTSC, enabling the 480p in the dashboard. this even works if you switch your modchip off, so you can still play 480p over LIVE.

Third, this doesn't guarantee success. Some PAL Xboxes have different video chips which sometimes result in green banding when trying to use progressive mode. Mine does this and its a bastard. Seems like MS worked out they could cut corners after disabling component for PAL territories.

The PAL standard for 576p Progressive Scan was not approved when the Xbox spec was frozen. That is why the GC & Xbox have this functionality removed.

Microsoft and Ninetendo were just observing the regulations

The NTSC 480p progressive scan format was approved but this has no application in Europe.

The PAL standard for 576p was approved some time in 2003, I forget when exactly and you could then buy 576p capable DVD players officially. Prior to this there was an unofficial enabling of this feature through backdoor firmware upgrades.

Sony left the 480p progressive scan option in the PS2 as it was not against regulations in Europe, it was just unlikely that anyone would have a 480p capabale display, so what did it matter.

In 2003 a slow trickle of PS2 PAL releases started to have progressive scan. This has led to the ironic situation where a game like Prince of Persia:Sands of Time can be played in 480p on a standard PAL PS2 and it will look better than the same PAL Xbox release in 576i. So much for the superior hardware :lol

Although the Sony games Primal, Ghosthunter, Jak2, Jak3, R&C2, R&C3 all have a prog scan option in Europe. For GT4 and Rise to Honor they removed the option. I resort to buying NTSC versions so that I still have my beloved prog scan.

lexi

Banned
OK, I just got my Xbox modded today, (XBMC rox!) And I noticed this Enigmah thing. Press B for NTSC or something, so how do I use it? I press B and then what?

First, you can mod your xbox and still go on live. You just switch the mod off before going online.

I heard this changed with Halo 2 and presumably Forza. I removed the Live account from the Dashboard to prevent any possible bannage.

scarybore

lockii said:
OK, I just got my Xbox modded today, (XBMC rox!) And I noticed this Enigmah thing. Press B for NTSC or something, so how do I use it? I press B and then what?

Wow that was fast! Press B and then hold down the L and R triggers and press black If I remember correctly and it should take you back to your dashboard. Then when you next go into the normal Xbox dashboard, under video options instead of the usual Pal 60 option you should have a option for 480p, 720p and 1080i. Obviously enable the ones that your TV supports and it should work fine for your games. If you want the dashboard itself to be in prog, you will need to hold down the L and R triggers and then click in the 2 sticks after you have enabled one of the options (that should work providing you have been on live semi recently). That should work hopefully.

I heard this changed with Halo 2 and presumably Forza. I removed the Live account from the Dashboard to prevent any possible bannage.

I play on live fine but with my xbox it was modded before it went on live so they couldn't tell if my hard drive was changed. If you haven't changed your HD and only chipped it I think it will go online fine providing your chip is off. If you are softmodded then I dont have a clue what happens ;p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Drop by the "usual haunt" sometime and we'll organise to meet, but not for at least a week. I've got assignments and study coming out of my ears. :/

edit: also, what does DTM mean?

Do The Mario said:
Awesome I might be going to brisy for Uni games, tell me good drinking spots!!

PM them if you want.
http://www.belgianbeercafebrussels.com.au/

Only if you don't mind paying a lot more for a beer. Nice chips and mayo too.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Scrow said:
Drop by the "usual haunt" sometime and we'll organise to meet, but not for at least a week. I've got assignments and study coming out of my ears. :/

edit: also, what does DTM mean?

Do The Fucking Mario

Burger

lockii said:

Reset your Xbox. Either use the soft reset (sometimes both triggers and start) or just turn it off and back on. Disable the modchip! Then go on Xbox Live in proscan.

Make sure you goto the dashboard and tell it your TV supports 480p. If you want the dashboard in progressive, I think it's both triggers and click both sticks. Done.

thorns

Banned
Nick Laslett said:
The PAL standard for 576p Progressive Scan was not approved when the Xbox spec was frozen. That is why the GC & Xbox have this functionality removed.

Microsoft and Ninetendo were just observing the regulations

The NTSC 480p progressive scan format was approved but this has no application in Europe.

The PAL standard for 576p was approved some time in 2003, I forget when exactly and you could then buy 576p capable DVD players officially. Prior to this there was an unofficial enabling of this feature through backdoor firmware upgrades.

Sony left the 480p progressive scan option in the PS2 as it was not against regulations in Europe, it was just unlikely that anyone would have a 480p capabale display, so what did it matter.

In 2003 a slow trickle of PS2 PAL releases started to have progressive scan. This has led to the ironic situation where a game like Prince of Persia:Sands of Time can be played in 480p on a standard PAL PS2 and it will look better than the same PAL Xbox release in 576i. So much for the superior hardware :lol

Although the Sony games Primal, Ghosthunter, Jak2, Jak3, R&C2, R&C3 all have a prog scan option in Europe. For GT4 and Rise to Honor they removed the option. I resort to buying NTSC versions so that I still have my beloved prog scan.

is 720p approved in europe? since I assume 720p has nothing to do with PAL..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thorns said:
is 720p approved in europe? since I assume 720p has nothing to do with PAL..

"HD Ready". New spec for Europe.

TV must support at least 720 display lines, have component and DVD/HDMI inputs (which support HDCP protection), and support the display of 720p 50/60Hz, and 1080i 50/60Hz.

Top Bottom