• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cam Newton to Patriots

People in this thread comparing the character of Peyton Fucking Manning to Cam Newton?

Isn't that like comparing Sargeant Major Daniel J Daly to the coward who took his own life one Adolf Hitler?

Cam Newton's character? His teammates have had nothing but praise for him as a leader and locker room presence. He donates tons of time and money to local (here when he was in Charlotte anyway) charities.

What are these character issues? He was frustrated after losing the Super Bowl while being heckled by the winning team? His dab? How he dresses? Because he wears a towel on his head on the sidelines? Because he celebrates too much?

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/9/19/20872340/cam-newton-selfish-narrative-panthers-nfl

Even his one legitimate mistake when he was young, he owned up to and says it helped him become a better person.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...08-arrest-says-it-changed-his-life/107949812/

From the article:

Newton said he contemplated whether or not to post his arrest photo, knowing it would open him up to more scrutiny from and bring back some painful memories. But he said he thought someone who has made a mistake might benefit if he did.

"For a person that probably made a mistake, no matter what it was, to try to be better from it," Newton said. "I have (people I know) that are in the penitentiary, family members that are incarcerated. But yet that doesn't define them.

Your boy Payton Manning doesn't have a history without accusations of his own:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/13/p...e-sexual-assault-allegations-jamie-naughright

"Manning initially denied the incident took place but later acknowledged that a possibly “crude” but nonetheless “harmless” event occurred."

Sounds like a guy really concerned with his image to me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Cam Newton's character? His teammates have had nothing but praise for him as a leader and locker room presence. He donates tons of time and money to local (here when he was in Charlotte anyway) charities.

What are these character issues? He was frustrated after losing the Super Bowl while being heckled by the winning team? His dab? How he dresses? Because he wears a towel on his head on the sidelines? Because he celebrates too much?

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/9/19/20872340/cam-newton-selfish-narrative-panthers-nfl

Even his one legitimate mistake when he was young, he owned up to and says it helped him become a better person.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...08-arrest-says-it-changed-his-life/107949812/

From the article:

Newton said he contemplated whether or not to post his arrest photo, knowing it would open him up to more scrutiny from and bring back some painful memories. But he said he thought someone who has made a mistake might benefit if he did.

"For a person that probably made a mistake, no matter what it was, to try to be better from it," Newton said. "I have (people I know) that are in the penitentiary, family members that are incarcerated. But yet that doesn't define them.

Your boy Payton Manning doesn't have a history without accusations of his own:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/13/p...e-sexual-assault-allegations-jamie-naughright

"Manning initially denied the incident took place but later acknowledged that a possibly “crude” but nonetheless “harmless” event occurred."

Sounds like a guy really concerned with his image to me.

Hitler had a bunch of people on record praising his character too. But even Hitler wouldn't stoop so low as to wear something like this...

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2F.image%2FMTY4MDA3Mzc3MTEwOTAyMDMz%2Fcam-newton_4jpg.jpg

Guy is a prick of the highest proportions. There's a reason why no team was quick to pick him up at the age of 31 and he only got league minimum. His reputation has spread through the entire league.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Hitler had a bunch of people on record praising his character too. But even Hitler wouldn't stoop so low as to wear something like this...

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2F.image%2FMTY4MDA3Mzc3MTEwOTAyMDMz%2Fcam-newton_4jpg.jpg

Guy is a prick of the highest proportions. There's a reason why no team was quick to pick him up at the age of 31 and he only got league minimum. His reputation has spread through the entire league.
Talent wise he is easily a top 10 maybe even top 5 QB when healthy.
NE has a way of keeping players in line even with questionable pasts, personally I think he is on a revenge tour and will try to show how wrong everyone was.
I’ll be surprised if he‘s with NE for more than a year but it he has a good year NE can still franchise him.

I'll tell you what I see. I look at the balance of what is publicly known about Cam since he's been in the public eye, and I measure that against the absolute venom that exists out there from a vocal segment of the populace and the ledger just doesn't reconcile. So, I ask myself, what is it?

He's a big, handsome, charismatic black man that loves to play dress up. I think there's something in there that the haters don't want to know about.. ;)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'll tell you what I see. I look at the balance of what is publicly known about Cam since he's been in the public eye, and I measure that against the absolute venom that exists out there from a vocal segment of the populace and the ledger just doesn't reconcile. So, I ask myself, what is it?

He's a big, handsome, charismatic black man that loves to play dress up. I think there's something in there that the haters don't want to know about.. ;)

How dare you. I cancel you.

Or his spirit animal is a chubby upper class 12 year old bully who's dumb as a brick. Again, there is a reason why it took so long for a team to give him league minimum. The guy is a dumpster fire in terms of character.

Btw, my favorite QB of all time is Ryan Mother Fucking Fitzmagic.

Last edited:
Again, there is a reason why it took so long for a team to give him league minimum.

No. The reason that he couldn't get a contract is because of injuries debilitating him for the past couple of seasons, and that making him an unknown. And the timing of him looking for a job in conjunction with his injuries and the pandemic making evaluations difficult are what caused this set of circumstances. Nothing more than that. Only blind haters see it otherwise.

Edit: And in terms of the video, I'd much rather hear a person speak their mind - be who they are - rather than listen to the endless cliches and platitudes of all the "politicians" who play football at the podium.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No. The reason that he couldn't get a contract is because of injuries debilitating him for the past couple of seasons, and that making him an unknown. And the timing of him looking for a job in conjunction with his injuries and the pandemic making evaluations difficult are what caused this set of circumstances. Nothing more than that. Only blind haters see it otherwise.

Edit: And in terms of the video, I'd much rather hear a person speak their mind - be who they are - rather than listen to the endless cliches and platitudes of all the "politicians" who play football at the podium.

Nah, he's 31 which is still prime for a QB.

"Be who you really are" is the most lib nansy pansy wanker BS ever. If you're a douche, please hide it. No one (except for you for some reason) wants to see pricks/a holes/jerks "be who they really are". Call me old fashioned I guess.

Secondly, it had nothing to do with "market uncertainty". Patrick Machines just got 500+ million. NFL free agency started on March 11th...basically every other free agent got signed since then...Cam was left on the rack because he stinks. NFL organizations know exponentially more about players than the public does. They dont like what they know about Cam Newton.

Paying league minimum for a talent like Canm Newton should interest just about every team out there. He's a headcase though. Not worth the trouble.

Nah, he's 31 which is still prime for a QB.

"Be who you really are" is the most lib nansy pansy wanker BS ever. If you're a douche, please hide it. No one (except for you for some reason) wants to see pricks/a holes/jerks "be who they really are". Call me old fashioned I guess.

I would much rather people be themselves. At least you know where you stand with people who are genuine in their expression. I can't stand artifice. Cam doesn't try to craft a persona for others. That's refreshing to me.

Secondly, it had nothing to do with "market uncertainty". Patrick Machines just got 500+ million. NFL free agency started on March 11th...basically every other free agent got signed since then...Cam was left on the rack because he stinks. NFL organizations know exponentially more about players than the public does. They dont like what they know about Cam Newton.

Paying league minimum for a talent like Canm Newton should interest just about every team out there. He's a headcase though. Not worth the trouble.

Mahomes wasn't hurt, and he just won the Super Bowl, he's 24 and he's the face of the league. You really have an irrational hatred for Cam. Cam has been dealing with injuries since the '16 season. (torn rotator cuff on his throwing shoulder. Then he got a Lisfranc - an injury that is notoriously difficult. And he had other dings throughout this period.) If you don't think that is the primary factor in all this, I think you aren't being honest with yourself. Whatever your reasons for hating Cam are your own. But if he were healthy, he would have gotten a large contract from the Panthers, or if they let him walk he would have been traded/paid elsewhere. And if you see him come back healthy when he steps on the field again, he'll get paid accordingly. He was the league MVP in '15 and then he got hurt and stayed a variety of hurt since then. If you don't think a former league MVP who is still relatively young would have gotten paid were it not for injury concerns, then you don't understand professional sports...at all.

Gamerguy84

I dont think were having a season. That bums me out because Im a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan and I was excited to see what the new coaching staff could do. They hired an all star cast.

At least when football does start we can answer the question of is it Brady or Belichick. Personally I think its Belichick

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I would much rather people be themselves. At least you know where you stand with people who are genuine in their expression. I can't stand artifice. Cam doesn't try to craft a persona for others. That's refreshing to me.

Mahomes wasn't hurt, and he just won the Super Bowl, he's 24 and he's the face of the league. You really have an irrational hatred for Cam. Cam has been dealing with injuries since the '16 season. (torn rotator cuff on his throwing shoulder. Then he got a Lisfranc - an injury that is notoriously difficult. And he had other dings throughout this period.) If you don't think that is the primary factor in all this, I think you aren't being honest with yourself. Whatever your reasons for hating Cam are your own. But if he were healthy, he would have gotten a large contract from the Panthers, or if they let him walk he would have been traded/paid elsewhere. And if you see him come back healthy when he steps on the field again, he'll get paid accordingly. He was the league MVP in '15 and then he got hurt and stayed a variety of hurt since then. If you don't think a former league MVP who is still relatively young would have gotten paid were it not for injury concerns, then you don't understand professional sports...at all.

No...YOU don't understand professional sports at all!

tenor.gif

Top Bottom