• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camera GAF, what DSLR would you recommend to a newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

These are extremely different. Full frame vs APS-C, full DSLR vs mirrorless. A 5D with the glass to go with it is a much larger investment, more $$ now, more moving forward, more weight.

Doesn't have to be more expensive. Tons of OK FF glass is out there, especially on the used market. Canon now has the new 24-105 f3.5-5.6 IS, but on the used market you can choose between the IS 28-135 f3.5-5.6 or the non-IS 24-85 f3.5-4.5 and 28-105 f3.5-4.5. Despite their age DXO rates them sharper than current kitlenses and they can all be picked up for 100-200$ and all have USM AF.

There are also many great primes that don't break the bank like Canon's excellent 35mm f2 and 85 and 100mm f1.8. With the cheap 50mm f1.8 you also get the 'full frame'.

Wow, this blew up. Sorry for lack of input.

A lot of information to digest. Again, thanks for all the help.

Appreciate it.

EDIT: So I looked through the thread and a lot of people recommended the Sony a6000. I like that it's compact but it's a bit out of my price range so I looked at older models. That's where the Sony a5000 popped up. It's $100 cheaper, which is nice. What do you guys think?

Rolio

Sony Nex-7 w/ 18-55 lens - $499

24 megapixel
10 frames per second shooting
electronic viewfinder

It has an old-style Minolta hot shoe that is incompatible with most other flash guns, but you can buy an adapter.

And you are going to want a viewfinder if you are going to be shooting outside.

Appreciate it.

EDIT: So I looked through the thread and a lot of people recommended the Sony a6000. I like that it's compact but it's a bit out of my price range so I looked at older models. That's where the Sony a5000 popped up. It's $100 cheaper, which is nice. What do you guys think?

I have sony nex 5t. It has been amazing camera so far. Get sony mirrorless you won't regret it. Obviously go to the nearest shop and check them out first.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENZRP38/ref=twister_B00UGL316I?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

appaws

Banned
I'm gonna jump in here to get some advice from you folks..

I just started shooting some videos and putting them on Youtube. I have been using my iphone 6 plus and editing with Sony Movie Studio 13, but I have been thinking of buying a camera.

In looking around the internet, I have been seeing a ton of good stuff about the Sony a5100....(also in the OPs price range at $500). Supposedly for shooting video, it has some stuff that makes it even better than the a6000.

Any thoughts on the a5100, or on good cameras for shooting video in general?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The one I bought is a mirror-less camera. Why? Because it's compact, light, has great quality, and you have a clearer feedback on what you are doing when adjusting the dials. I have an Olympus OM-D E-M5 (the MKI, not MKII) and I love it. I am selling my Nikon D7000 because I'm tired of bulky heavy DSLR, it's too combersome so I would almost never use it. This one I can carry around and take pictures any time. I got myself a small 15mm F1.7 lens so it's compact and good in low light.

Appreciate it.

Hopefully I'm not too late, but that $100 savings may not be worth it in the long run -- the a5000 is a good camera, but not a good platform IMO. Not enough controls, and no ability whatsoever to upgrade the flash (believe me, I tried). I would heartily recommend the a6000 over it, as if you expect to get serious at all, flash is going to become a huge hinderance, and the a6000 is a much nicer platform for taking photos overall. I've owned both, and to say the a6000 is worth the extra $100 is an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom