• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camra award ban for Essex pub displaying golly dolls

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good Burger Reading GIF

Seriously, I had to process the thread title for several seconds and even then I had to Google “golliwog dolls” ‘cause I’d never heard the term before.

DKehoe

These are words, this is a sentence, I think in English, but does it make any sense?

What's an award ban and what's a golly doll?
CAMRA is the Campaign For Real Ale, an organisation who publishes a guide to British pubs and breweries and give out awards for those as well. They're saying they won't consider this pub for either of those going forward as a result of this.

A Golly Doll, or Golliwog as it's more commonly known, is a doll that's made to resemble a stereotype of a black person. They were popular in the UK decades ago but for obvious reasons are less popular now.

Irobot82

CAMRA is the Campaign For Real Ale, an organisation who publishes a guide to British pubs and breweries and give out awards for those as well. They're saying they won't consider this pub for either of those going forward as a result of this.

A Golly Doll, or Golliwog as it's more commonly known, is a doll that's made to resemble a stereotype of a black person. They were popular in the UK decades ago but for obvious reasons are less popular now.
An excellent context paragraph that should have went along in the OT's post. Thank you.

Tams

An excellent context paragraph that should have went along in the OT's post. Thank you.

You are already on the Internet you lazy sod. Coulda long it up yourself or used ChatGPT. Woulda taken you mere seconds.

Last edited:

Tams

Is this the pub that was "displaying" them by hanging them from their necks with nooses? If so then yeah, it goes beyond history at that point and might be a little racist.

I can't see any nooses, so it could have been constructed as just a way to display them.

But the owner of the pub then made a comment pretty much saying they were supposed to look like a lynching on Facebook...

Last edited:

AJUMP23

This is where the tension is. Something may be offensive and or racist and have a questionable past. You don't have to like it. But should the government get in the business of banning things that people find offensive, no they should not. Should you go to a place that has offensive stuff, that is your personal choice.

If you try to wipe away the mistakes of history, it makes them easier to repeat.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This is where the tension is. Something may be offensive and or racist and have a questionable past. You don't have to like it. But should the government get in the business of banning things that people find offensive, no they should not. Should you go to a place that has offensive stuff, that is your personal choice.

If you try to wipe away the mistakes of history, it makes them easier to repeat.
The government shouldn't have gotten involved neither should the police, they aren't illegal as far as I'm aware and if the landlord wants to be a cunt and display em, then it's a free country meanwhile the brewery's are free to simply stop selling their beer to him and banks can refuse him loans etc and just let the business go the way of the doll and become consigned to history.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The government shouldn't have gotten involved neither should the police, they aren't illegal as far as I'm aware and if the landlord wants to be a cunt and display em, then it's a free country meanwhile the brewery's are free to simply stop selling their beer to him and banks can refuse him loans etc and just let the business go the way of the doll and become consigned to history.
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

Trilobit

Reminds me of the logo for a Finnish candymaker's licorice candy. Right-older logo, left-newer:

Bildskolan_121_fazer.jpg

They did remove it completely over ten years ago though.

They also had this one until 2011 for their "Chinese chocolate/rice candies":

7fbfcf58-14e7-4e1c-a6cc-d29238fde6fa

Finnish and English people seem to have some stuff in common.

Cyberpunkd

Nobody commented on this piece:

Police said a member of the public reported being racially distressed after attending the pub.
Five officers attended, where they seized several of the racially offensive dolls on 4 April.
What is being ‘racially distressed’? Why do police officers in the UK seize a private property?

Golly Wogs are racist and most decent people stopped displaying them decades ago. However, I don't think it's really a matter for the police. Surely there are more important things for them to do.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I understand history happened and everything but at some point you have to learn from the past and put It away instead of holding onto the hurtful parts and shoving them in other people's faces.

YCoCg

Why does it feel like most of you defending this are overlooking the part where the pub was lynching them "because that's how they used to do it in Mississippi", at that point it's clearly not a sweet old collectable from the old days and has stranded into clear racism.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Why does it feel like most of you defending this are overlooking the part where the pub was lynching them "because that's how they used to do it in Mississippi", at that point it's clearly not a sweet old collectable from the old days and has stranded into clear racism.
Who is defending anything? People are just wondering Is that grounds for police intervention? Questioning police/government overreach is not support for racism. A friend of mine was shopping for Televisions, it was a local mom and pop high end TV audio place years back. The owner trying to sell him a television points to a certain model that is displaying Tiger Woods. He says "this TV has nice colors but you wouldn't know it right now" making an obvious racist statement. Did we direct the police towards him or did we just never shop there ever again. Any time that place was ever mentioned to me I told that story. That place closed down years ago. Not because the shop owner is in jail on hate crime charges but because shitty people have a way of failing at life all on their own. The government empowering police to confiscate and imprison people for things others find offensive is not a road any society needs to go down because eventually you are going to do something that offends others.

YCoCg

People are just wondering Is that grounds for police intervention?
It is in the UK where you can't be openly racist or display racist content in public places, the fact that this was in a PUB where people can go to and the fact that they didn't even try and hide the fact they were using the golliwogs as a statement by lynching them above the bar falls under racial threats and people reported them which is what lead to the police visit in the first place. And that's BEFORE the news came out that the husband of the pub owner was photographed wearing a Britain's First T-Shirt.

And that's BEFORE the news came out that the husband of the pub owner was photographed wearing a Britain's First T-Shirt.

I had to google what Britain’s First mean and saw this:

In August 2014, after a report which revealed that over 1,400 children had been sexually abused in Rotherham, mainly by Pakistani men, Britain First protested inside the headquarters of Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council with a banner saying "Justice for victims of Muslim grooming".

They had them hung from the ceiling.

The barman is a racist, homophobic, vile piece of shit.

He has posted before about ‘hanging them in Mississippi’

He has far right logos on his social media.

This pub is rough as all shit and I’m surprised they only went in with 6 officers.

They claim it’s a sentimental collection - it actually functions as a warning. It’s very akin to the old ‘No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs’ signs of old. Except they allow dogs in.

Last edited:

CGNoire

They had them hung from the ceiling.

The barman is a racist, homophobic, vile piece of shit.

He has posted before about ‘hanging them in Mississippi’

He has far right logos on his social media.

This pub is rough as all shit and I’m surprised they only went in with 6 officers.

They claim it’s a sentimental collection - it actually functions as a warning. It’s very akin to the old ‘No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs’ signs of old. Except they allow dogs in.
Yep.

And to my fellow antiwokesters...
....JonahHillThisAintIt.gif

Cough cough...the police still shouldnt of got invloved.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
See ya lol

A pub being investigated for an alleged hate crime over the display of racist dolls has closed for business after a boycott by three of its suppliers.

Benice Ryley, co-leaseholder of the White Hart Inn in Grays, Essex, said the pub could not recover from the “stigma” of a raid by Essex police when her collection of golly dolls was confiscated as part of its investigation.

His wife confirmed the pub was closing on Monday in an interview with the Thurrock Nub News. She revealed that two of its beer suppliers, Heineken and Carlsberg, had refused to allow their products to be served in the pub and Innserve, which maintained the pub’s pumps, was also refusing to serve it.

She said: “Carlsberg [and] Heineken told us to stop selling their product because they don’t want their name associated with the pub because of the stigma. And Innserve who serve our pumps and line cleans, they’re not going to come on site any more.”

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Interesting wormhole history, turns out, of all people, it was the Nazi’s who first found them offensive.

They were the second most popular children's toy in Europe in the first half of the 20th century, after the teddy bear. Golliwogs were banned by Nazi Germany in 1934 on the grounds they were inappropriate toys for Aryanchildren.

Top Bottom