• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone read the ui text in The Witcher 3?

Xater

This is the first game I have issues reading some of the text. Most of it is way too small. The only text that has the right size is the quest log on the side and the subtitles.

Justinh

doesn't change anything on ps4

The text size is the worst i've seen since playing dead rising on a SDtv

Yee-ouch, that was the worst.

I'm not having this issue. I'm playing the PC version, on a couch, but I have my 27 inch monitor on my coffee table. I have bad eyesight so I'm sure playing it more traditionally would be more of an issue for me.

Hopefully text size gets added in the future in the Hug Configuration options, along with the ability to switch the back button/start buttons.

edit: Yeah, I meant to say "Hud," but just seeing "Hug Configuration" makes me happy. I'm just gonna leave it as it is.

Garibaldi

Seems fine on my 60 from about 8 feet away (PS4 is on 1080p fullscreen, no zoom). I have it on small HUD. In the menus everything seems fine.

nOoblet16

Seems fine on my 60 from about 8 feet away (PS4 is on 1080p fullscreen, no zoom). I have it on small HUD. In the menus everything seems fine.

I have a hard time believing that, 8 feet away and small HUD.
Try reading the font of the item description, what makes it worse is that the font colour is grey on a black background and the font itself is thin and small.

I have very minor vision issues with my left eye so minor that despite the fact that I have glasses I never felt the need to wear them and never till date have I actually felt the need to wear one to play a game on my TV. I can't read those description unless I squint and focus on them, and it should never be like that.

Last time I had issues like this with a game's font was when I played Dead Rising 1 on an SDTV.

Mendrox

PS4 version, setting 3m (9.84251969 feet) away from my 50" TV... Eyesight is not that great (I use glasses at work) but I have no problem at all with the text of anything in this game (without glasses!).

Pinewood

Tried GTA V on PS3 (no PS4 so cant try Witcher) on a 50" tv ca 5m (15-16 feet) away from the screen. Yes the text is kinda hard to read (but not unreadable) but tbh I don't see how you can play games like this. I cant really tell what is going on in the game this far...

I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet, but I have trouble reading the UI text in a lot of games. It's a constant problem for me. I really wish developers could make font size adjustable.

Lucifon

It's an issue for me too. I can 'just' about read it but I'm often having to strain to see, sometimes I have to move closer to the TV. It's really irritating. Only problem I have with the game right now, especially when there's a lot of stuff I actually want to read.

I see it fine.
But then i play at my desk on 2 monitors like 3 feet away lol.
So I just tried moving back and its ass at like over 5 ft away for me.

Yeah, that sucks. But the bigger gripe I have with this game is no direct button to open the map. You have right and left click on the touchpad, use it devs.

apoc_reg

Neo Member
Its really bad for me on 46" at 8 ft away PS4. Can read it but its more effort than I think I should have to put in to tell who someone is!

Yeah, that sucks. But the bigger gripe I have with this game is no direct button to open the map. You have right and left click on the touchpad, use it devs.

Thank you.
First thing i did was check for a direct map button.
They could have easily bound it to one half of the touchpad

apoc_reg

Neo Member

Totally agree it should be on one side of the touchpad. Thats because they wouldnt want to add something not available on XO due to their marketing deal... its a conspiracy i tell you!

While on controls the signs L1 then select thing is rubbish too, should just hold L1, move to the one you want then release, would be much better. Find I only ever use one sign at a time in most fights.

I tweeted exactly 140 characters - @thewitchergame (PS4) Fixes please 1) UI Text size, 2) Hold and release to select signs, 3) use the touchpad for map and inventory shortcuts

Edit - Ha if the below is true i'm an idiot!

Swipe down on the PS4 touchpad for map.
Hold PS4 touchpad for inventory.
Press PS4 touchpad for immediate exit while in those menus.

http://www.gamepur.com/guide/18884-...hold-sensor-bar-open-inventory-swip-open.html

have people not heard of eyeglasses or contacts? i'm as blind as you can get but i've had no issues with stuff like this.

Every web browser, operating system, e-reader, etc. gives you the ability to adjust text and font and UI sizes. Everyone who makes these things realizes that people need to be able to adjust the sizes of this stuff, and yet it somehow has never occurred to game developers that not everyone would want a microscopic font size.

The funniest part is that they have a big, bold font they use for the quest pop ups on the left side of the screen, something you see for like 2 seconds every once in a while, but everything else you'll be reading constantly is like some kind of microdot cold war message.

UI and caption text sizes in games are so bad.

Swipe down on the PS4 touchpad for map.
Hold PS4 touchpad for inventory.
Press PS4 touchpad for immediate exit while in those menus.

OCD Guy

No issues with text sitting about 6 foot away from a 55" tv.

There's too many variables though, different people have different eyesight, sit different distances away from different size tvs etc.

I had to move my couch 2 meters in front. Lucky for me I'm home alone for the next 10 days. But I can't see or read shit other wise on my 50inches screen. Such a shame

Prine

Banned
X1 version is pretty small. I could show you a pic of my bloodshot eyes, strained them alot last night. Fix this for god sake.

DryvBy

I have a 52" LED and I sit about 8 feet away. I don't have an issue with any text. It's a perfect size to me.

Maybe you guys should think about glasses.

No issues with text sitting about 6 foot away from a 55" tv.

There's too many variables though, different people have different eyesight, sit different distances away from different size tvs etc.
Yeah, that's kind of my point: if a non-negligible percentage of your user base has trouble with it, it's good form to offer them an option to increase text size. The people who were fine with the default settings won't mind and the rest will have a better experience.

Garibaldi

I have a hard time believing that, 8 feet away and small HUD.
Try reading the font of the item description, what makes it worse is that the font colour is grey on a black background and the font itself is thin and small.

I have very minor vision issues with my left eye so minor that despite the fact that I have glasses I never felt the need to wear them and never till date have I actually felt the need to wear one to play a game on my TV. I can't read those description unless I squint and focus on them, and it should never be like that.

Last time I had issues like this with a game's font was when I played Dead Rising 1 on an SDTV.

It's absolutely fine on my TV in my lighting conditions and my TV calibration. I played from getting home from work last night for about 4 hours and at no point did I think the UI was too small. In fact I reduced the obtrusive HUD to small like I said simply becuase it was too damn big. I've knocked off the button prompts in the bottom right (which admittedly, were very small at the point) because I didn't need them any more.

Looting window I can read the text names and types fine. All other HUD elements are perfectly adequate.

Menu system wise I have absolutely no issues reading anything.

Fuz

Banned
Honestly, this is an issue I've had with modern games which are waaay too keen on using small fonts for 'clean UIs'. Yeah it looks pretty, but my eyesight is garbage and I hate squinting.

Same.
It's a fairly recent trend. Very annoying.

bomblord1

Banned
Idk if it would work but could you set your system to a lower output resolution so the picture is stretched thereby making the text bigger?

RoKKeR

No, I have to sit closer to my TV while playing or put my glasses on, which I don't need 90% of the time in daily life which is very annoying.

Needs a scaling option.

It was difficult to read when I was playing on my TV, but still legible. I decided to play on my 30" Ultrasharp instead though, and my eyes are thanking me for it. Much easier to read.

Demoskinos

I can imagine its rough if you sit far away on a couch. Even sitting just a few feet away like I do it's kind of rough. I'm guessing they might have designed the UI with PC players in mind since most PC players are going to be right up on thief monitors.

Serra

CDPR recognizing the superiority of the desk player over the casual couch gamer gives hope for Witcher 3 becoming a real contender on the esports scene.

yes, im joking. it is stupid that CDPR don't a font/ui scaler in the options

Top Bottom