• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone read the ui text in The Witcher 3?

I'm ok with most of the UI, but it's terrible to read the "ingame encyclopedia".

Would be very nice to have the option to change the font size, indeed.

AngryMoth

I have poor vision and I'm having to sit extremely close to the to to read it properly
I find the camera movement and angle to really trigger my motion sickness too. I'm starting to regret getting this game.
I think this is due to the camera rotating around the centre of the screen rather than the character which is offset to the left, or something like that. It's not making me motion sick but it doesn't feel right to me

Excerpt from my Sony chat requesting a refund for the small text:

You: I'd like to request a refund for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I cannot read the text. Here is a forum thread on the developer forums about this issue: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36949-PS4-Text-is-too-small

Edember: Thank you for waiting Ron, we are unable to submit a refund because the developer decided to make the game like that."

You: I've purchased a game that I cannot play because I can't read the text. It's not isolated to just me, but because the developers made the text too small, that makes me not eligible to a refund?

Edember: I really understand your point however if you would not be able to play the game for scratching, freeze of even if the game would not work, but since the developer decided to make the game like that, you should contact them.

Edember: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

You: I'll look into selling my PS4. Thank you.

gazele

Banned

You: I'd like to request a refund for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I cannot read the text. Here is a forum thread on the developer forums about this issue: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36949-PS4-Text-is-too-small

Edember: Thank you for waiting Ron, we are unable to submit a refund because the developer decided to make the game like that."

You: I've purchased a game that I cannot play because I can't read the text. It's not isolated to just me, but because the developers made the text too small, that makes me not eligible to a refund?

Edember: I really understand your point however if you would not be able to play the game for scratching, freeze of even if the game would not work, but since the developer decided to make the game like that, you should contact them.

That's a little extreme haha, but it does suck

d9b

Banned
The font size of pretty much everything but the subtitles is just an insult to couch gamers isn't it? There is just no way anyone can read that without squinting or sitting 50cm from their tv.

How are you guys dealing with this? It was horrible in the Witcher 2 as well but at least they somewhat improved it with patches and mods later on.

The subtitles are almost ok, all the rest is for ants.
Human eye can't register font bigger than what CDPR used for TW3. It's science!

Hope they fix it and allow for bigger font!

Why would you contact Sony about a game having small text?

Why would you contact Sony about a game having small text?

I bought a game from Sony's online store that I cannot play because the text is too small.

I wish to receive my money back from purchasing that game.

CDPR isn't giving me a refund. It's not their store.

Hence, contacting Sony.

Didn't work, but wanted to try.

I bought a game from Sony's online store that I cannot play because the text is too small.

I wish to receive my money back from purchasing that game.

CDPR isn't giving me a refund. It's not their store.

Hence, contacting Sony.

Didn't work, but wanted to try.

actually you can technically play the game, you just can't read the text on screen. But if you push the analog to walk, you walk.

The game works. Which is why if you took the game back to best buy or wherever, they wouldn't give your money back. That is a technical issue, not a physical defect that they were responsible for.

Bombard the creators of this game, just like we did when the text was real small in FFXIV. Bombarded SE and they fixed the font.

I agree as well. Playing on my 24' monitor desktop and its readable - cause I'm sitting so close to it, but when I switch to my 47" and lay on bed to play it - its really hard to read. Have to squint to see what the text says. Its not just the text either - its the menu items/pictures that are too small as well.
Yes I made the HUD smaller, if I put it on small it would be unreadable on my 47" unless I move closer

Its bad. Ive resorted to always hitting "take all" when looting anything, due to the fact that I havnt been able to read a single item description. With all the random crafting items and shit, I have NO idea what all the stuff is in my inventory. I think im gonna sit 2 feet away today and read everything...
Lol, that's the thing. The crafting and other stuff is important and you do most of that through menus and I have to try hard with my eyes to read it all, almost becoming like a chore to do

40" TV + X1, I sit only 2 metres away from the screen and can't read shit. Played Bloodborne and DA:I just fine with that setup.
Have to lean forward every time I wann do th in the menus.
Please patch this CDR.

muzzymate

I have a 65" 1080P TV and I'm constantly having to get up off the couch to read GTAV's tiny text. This makes me scared to buy the Witcher 3.

There's a patch coming "before too long" that will fix the small text, so those scared of buying the game should relax. It'll be fixed. I'm just afraid that I'll have completed the game before that.

phen0m24

I was planning to get this game after work today.

Should I be stopping at the drugstore to buy some reading glasses or jeweler's monocles or something in order to read the screen beforehand?

Are there memes already online about this? It sounds kinda funny

Schrade

CFbHomoVEAA1Eu9.jpg:orig

Hmm. Can't read shit. Reading what you're looting is a mission of its own.

Sorry for low resolution pictures as they don't do justice to the situation but you get the idea. Saving screenshots on Twitter.

CFbKYHHUkAA5yeL.jpg:orig

I can't see clearly what items do (bottom left).

Can't read what the in-game card game is suppose to do either.

I'm sure it's good for some people, but I'm playing on a 60 inch sitting 8 feet away and I'm having trouble. Definitely taking me out of the experience.

Shagg, I can't believe you haven't learned this by now but if you want the "original" quality of the Twitter images just tag :eek:rig onto the end of them. I've edited your posts above to do this.

I noticed font size was on the small side shortly after starting this on PS4.

I play on a 46" from about 7-8 feet away and it's not fun to have to focus that much to read item descriptions. The subtitles seem small too, but I can read them without extra effort.

I'll be trying out the zoom function until a proper fix is available.

kingkenny76

I was planning to get this game after work today.

Should I be stopping at the drugstore to buy some reading glasses or jeweler's monocles or something in order to read the screen beforehand?

Are there memes already online about this? It sounds kinda funny

shawn-michaels.gif

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's really small, I'm playing the PC version on my TV about 8ft away and I can't read shit. I hope they patch in an option to make all text much bigger.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
you want hard try playing this game on remote play.

the font hates the vita screen.

this just needs an scaling option people...

Dunan

Maybe I'm weird, but I sit about 8ft from my 55" TV and the text size is spot on for me. The only time I have adjusted UI size recently is to make the text smaller on FFXIV.

Smaller? I was about to post something about how Witcher 3 can't possibly be as bad as the eyestrainingly-tiny text in FFXIV, which (on PS4) is unreadable even at 140% of the default size.

(Why 140% for the maximum, Square? Why not 150% or 200% so that the font scaling doesn't look so artificial and eye-strainy?)

I actually play FF14 in "PS3 mode" on my PS4 just so that I can have readable fonts. Even at 140%, in Full HD the fonts are still smaller than the default PS3 (720p) font size. All those beautiful HD graphics wasted because the fonts are too tiny.

Tiny fonts are really becoming a scourge in this era of (1) a big-enough fraction of gamers having giant TV sets and (2) games being designed around the PC, where you're a meter or so from the screen, with consolers as an afterthought.

Zomba13

I have the same problem. PC version here, HUD size all correct, playing at 1080p on my TV.

I could easily play it at 1680x1050 on my monitor but I want to play it on my TV while sitting on my bed with my DS4. I have to sit up at the edge of my bed to read stuff.

kng3025

you want hard try playing this game on remote play.

the font hates the vita screen.

this just needs an scaling option people...

I actually tried that thinking it would make the game easier to read but nope. Still cool being able to play it on vita almost flawlessly though.

Hedrush

I can't read it from my couch at all. My wife, who has some pretty good eyesight has to lean forward to make it out and even then it's a struggle.

So for the last 2 nights I've just pulled up a garden chair right in front of the TV.

Ricker

I have asked this many times...I am guessing it is very hard,or time consuming,to not have the text follow the resolution...as you up the res,everything follows and the text gets smaller...I remember this when resolution where lower and you boosted it up,text got smaller each time...now that we reached 1920x1080,it is getting too small unless you are playing on a desktop monitor but they dont seem to want to take the time to keep the text at a ''lower ''resolution''...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Text size is a bit on the small side but it's not too bad for me, even with small HUD size. The UI in general has a lot of issues though. Tough to find relevant information since everything looks the same.

AegisScott

Neo Member
This has been all over the interwebs today, so I'm willing to accept that its an issue, but. I dunno. I have no issue reading that text at all.

Yup, too small. Attempted to play the game on my TV with Steam in-house streaming but the text was way too small to read. Back to the monitor it is.

I sit pretty close to my TV and it's still awkward to read, I don't think I could if I moved back any futher. Glad it wasn't just me experiencing this.

Top Bottom